What Irks you most?

3 hours ago, A1smallfry said:

Hello Everyone!  I'm not so much irked as just have a question:  Would I be unreasonable to request that if a cache owner doesn't wish to play anymore, please remove and archive them instead of simply abandoning them and not responding.  Isn't that what you would want?  It sort of puts a damper on the game to get enthusiastic about a cache and then find out it's no good.  Thanks!

But that's true for any cache: you might get enthusiastic about a cache and then find out it's no good even with the best cache by the best owner. All it takes is bad luck on your timing. So it's better to get used to that. When I think about it that way, I'm not at all concerned about whether the CO doesn't wish to play anymore, I'm only concerned with whether his caches are in good shape.

My problem with being irked at owners that drop out but leave their caches is that my experience hasn't suggested real life is so black and white. I've seen owners stop caching and generally lose interest in geocaching, but they still wake up and fix a cache when there's a problem. I've also seen caches where the owner might not pay attention, but the owner's friends help him out with fixes and replacements. In the end, a lot of the caches I've found and enjoyed would not have been there if every owner that decided geocaching was no longer his main hobby immediately ran out and collected all his caches. By a wide margin, I'd rather have those caches in place and accept that that means that there might, in some cases, a slightly higher risk of maintenance problems.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

Narrow neck jars used as cache containers.

I've seen those where a piece of PVC pipe was used to keep the log rolled tight enough to get in and out of the neck easily.

I saw one where the piece of PVC pipe was sized to completely block off the space between the walls of the narrow-neck bottle and the PVC pipe. It seemed to me that a standard match holder would have been easier and more waterproof, and about the same effective volume.

• Upvote 1

Moldy abandoned caches.

This one I found a couple of days ago. CO hasn't logged in for 2 years. Never returned to the cache after hiding it 2 years ago. 81 found it logs. The last 14 found it logs say nothing about the condition of the cache, lots of TFTC or "found it with xxxx" logs. The last finder, in September, thought this cache was "cool". Only 1 NM in June 2018. Too wet to sign logs go back to November of last year.

GC moldy cache trail blaze.JPG

• Upvote 2

I hate those little zip baggies that people use to hold cache logs.  There.  I said it.

Those little baggies are fiddly and difficult to open.  Half the time they trap moisture rather than keeping it away form the logsheet. They become completely useless in about a year when the zipper fails.

People, if you want to have weather-resistant logsheets, use the National Geographic Waterproof paper.  It's not even paper, so even if immersed it will not degrade and turn to mush.  It's still writable, though it requires a pen, not a pencil.

And it is NOT expensive.  The highest I have seen it for is about $1 a sheet.  You can make 8 to 10 logsheets from that, so the logs cost a total of a dime apiece.

Rite in the Rain also makes water-resistant paper, and while it is less durable than the National Geographic stuff it is also a lot cheaper.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Team Microdot said:

Generic Found logs with a long story which has nothing whatsoever to do with my cache.

It's funny this one... I don't enjoy them so much when I receive a whole bunch of them cut and pasted on all my caches that someone found on one trip/day.  But if they are a one off (I know, I know, you said generic, so maybe you don't mean these), like they went on an amazing adventure to get to my cache, then I love them.  I've also been guilty of the latter to the extent I had to split my log into a two in order to post, along with 30 or so photos.

• Upvote 1

The group threw down a pill bottle when the original was a regular size plastic container. And it continues to be listed as regular because the CO is long gone. 

After an hour of searching we found ourselves with a dilemma - replace the cache or let it be archived. We chose to keep this oldie going and have replaced it with a small camo'd pill bottle I brought with me. Maybe, since the CO is no longer active, another cacher might bring a larger container as this one only has room for the log.

• Upvote 2

After an hour of searching we found ourselves with a dilemma - replace the cache or let it be archived. We chose to keep this oldie going and have replaced it with a small camo'd pill bottle I brought with me. Maybe, since the CO is no longer active, another cacher might bring a larger container as this one only has room for the log.

Throwdowners who not only make excuses for their poor behavior (yeah, a dilemma...) , but then think folks might help them "fix" the piece of carp hide that they dropped.

• Upvote 1
On 10/11/2018 at 8:04 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

Quite often if a CO decides to stop playing the game, but leaves their caches in place (and stops maintaining them), they're not going to respond to a request to remove and archive the cases.  Unfortunately, there really isn't a way to enforce the removal of caches that are (or should not be) in play anymore.

I have, on a couple of occasions, sent an email message to a CO about a cache or two when, from recent logs, it was pretty obvious that the cache was missing.  It was usually when I was traveling to an area and wanted to try and find a cache or two, and I just asked if the cache might be available when I got there.  So far, I have yet to receive a response.   As disappointing as it is to go searching for a cache, only to discover that it's gone missing,   I just post a DNF log (and will sometimes send a PM to the owner with a photo) and move on.

I'm sure that if GS had an utility to flag archived caches and also had a mechanism for the CO to indicate if it was removed or not that a lot of volunteers would be more than happy to help out. instead of a FTF make it LTF.

I recycled an old area that had been archived about 5 months before I hid my cache. I not only found my signature on the original log but also found two other throw downs. CO did not want his container back so I recycled two of them, the third is TBD.

• Upvote 1

Powertrails, or just a freak-ton of caches in one area (by the same CO), that are placed so people can rack up numbers or finds for challenges, or what-have-you, hogging an entire hideable area from everyone else who might want to place a cache there because of something actually interesting in the area. There is a CO in my area that has over 600 hides, in these huge series, just clogging up the map. AND I noticed that they haven't logged on the site in 3 years. *sigh*

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, nericksx said:

Powertrails, or just a freak-ton of caches in one area (by the same CO), that are placed so people can rack up numbers or finds for challenges, or what-have-you, hogging an entire hideable area from everyone else who might want to place a cache there because of something actually interesting in the area. There is a CO in my area that has over 600 hides, in these huge series, just clogging up the map. AND I noticed that they haven't logged on the site in 3 years. *sigh*

I placed a cache beside a quiet country road, because of an interesting obscure fact, and by chance it also came with a great view, so a good place for a stand alone cache. Now someone has placed a power trail through the area and my cache has become just another cache in this trail :( .

It will also mean more servicing than I planned to do too, as there are now MANY more visitors. Fortunately I left a good sized log.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I placed a cache beside a quiet country road, because of an interesting obscure fact, and by chance it also came with a great view, so a good place for a stand alone cache. Now someone has placed a power trail through the area and my cache has become just another cache in this trail :( .

It will also mean more servicing than I planned to do too, as there are now MANY more visitors. Fortunately I left a good sized log.

Think of it as a good example that may remind some of the power trail followers what a good cache is like.

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, DreamMachine74 said:

I'm getting annoyed by folks who log a challenge cache found who hardly have any finds, but found the challenge cache, but in no way could've possible met the requirements. When they admit it wasn't met it's more annoying.

Is the CO allowed to delete those logs, if they signed the log? Seems they should be able to. But then that opens up the question of should finders be allowed to log multicaches and puzzles they accidentally stumble across, without actually doing them.

37 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Is the CO allowed to delete those logs, if they signed the log? Seems they should be able to. But then that opens up the question of should finders be allowed to log multicaches and puzzles they accidentally stumble across, without actually doing them.

Good point. I, for example, found the last cache for a letterbox cache, which was right next to a multi-cache final container. I only logged the letterbox cache, which I intended to find.

Edited by DreamMachine74
54 minutes ago, DreamMachine74 said:

Good point. I, for example, found the last cache for a letterbox cache, which was right next to a multi-cache final container. I only logged the letterbox cache, which I intended to find.

I have found several multi and puzzle caches without 'doing' them. Occasionally I do treat it, rightly or wrongly, as a bit of a game...now, where would I hide it? Also, I once was thinking an object would be good to hide a cache in, reached in and my hand landed on a puzzle cache. The spot was already occupied :o. I have also being walking across a field and found a cache lying out in the open. I re-hid it, but when I was able to find what cache that was, it was about 200 metres from where it should have been. At least I was able to tell the CO where to find their cache. Plus I have found a couple of unpublished caches, which, my guess, they were too close to published caches and so couldn't be published, and the owner was too lazy to go back and pick up the cache.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:
7 hours ago, DreamMachine74 said:

I'm getting annoyed by folks who log a challenge cache found who hardly have any finds, but found the challenge cache, but in no way could've possible met the requirements. When they admit it wasn't met it's more annoying.

Challenge caches are different in that completing the challenge is an Additional Logging Requirement, whereas solving the puzzle for a mystery or visiting all the stages of a multi isn't allowed to be and for those, if you sign the logbook you can log the find. If you find and sign the log of a challenge cache but haven't yet fulfilled the challenge, you should log a WN which you can later change to a find when you've qualified.

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, Sladonians said:

Micro caches. Why does no one leave decent sized caches with swag and a log book with a pencil like we used to find back in 2001 when I started caching?

I used to be the same way (although I started in 2006 and there were micros then), particularly because my kids were small and weren't really interested unless there was a goody involved. I filtered them out my my PQs and maps, I disliked them so much. Now that my kids are (much) older, my husband and I find that we rather appreciate a micro. So much less fuss - just sign and go. No soggy/moldy business cards (really?!?) or broken McToys. I wouldn't want a whole day of micros, but now a quickie to break things up is a nice change. Funny how age changes perspective :huh:  (I still won't touch a LPC with a 10 foot pole).

15 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:
16 hours ago, DreamMachine74 said:

What barefootjeff said. The ALR is the only difference here. Any physical cache can be logged as found if the logbook/sheet is signed. But the ALR means that owner has the right to delete the log if the ALR hasn't been completed. Much like the non-physical Earthcache and Virtual logging requirements of sending in answers to the questions or proof of task completions.

A non-cacher cacher.  I have had 4 different "cachers" (4 different cacheing names) contact me with a question or "hey".  I think this is one person who signs up the same day as he/she sends the message.  No caching history.  I responded to each one but am now determined to not respond at all and hope he/she will disappear. Has anyone else had this experience?

2 hours ago, sharkc said:

A non-cacher cacher.  I have had 4 different "cachers" (4 different cacheing names) contact me with a question or "hey".  I think this is one person who signs up the same day as he/she sends the message.  No caching history.  I responded to each one but am now determined to not respond at all and hope he/she will disappear. Has anyone else had this experience?

Yes, except I didn't respond to such a message.  Often the messages are spammed to many members, so the various messages eventually get deleted by TPTB.  Sometimes the accounts get locked.  

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, kunarion said:

Yes, except I didn't respond to such a message.  Often the messages are spammed to many members, so the various messages eventually get deleted by TPTB.  Sometimes the accounts get locked.  

Yep.  Got a few, all spammers.  Some saying they saw my pic and ... well, you know  ...  I guess I was supposed to respond.  :D

One really annoying one had many threads started about it,  and HQ made mention in the forums that they took care of it.

If I get a first-time mail, I hit "Find Another Player" on my profile page first.

• Upvote 1

Haven't found one yet, but I don't like caches diguised as a dog poo. I find it difficult to imagine how people think that's a great idea.

Some other irk: fairly new in the game, but I try to read frantically about all the do's and don'ts. In just reading the first pages in this topic, I read "change the logbook, never change the logbook, post needs maintenance, I do not like needs maintenance...". I have bought a small box that I want to place in the woods which are on a higly maintainable distance from my place as my first cache, filled it completely with swag and now I'm just doubting everything :D

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Mutant-art: Cat&Koen said:

Haven't found one yet, but I don't like caches diguised as a dog poo. I find it difficult to imagine how people think that's a great idea.

I found a few, it's fairly obvious they are not real as they (the ones we found at least) are not in a spot where you would find a real one. Besides, you can't really tell the difference between (fake) dog or  human sh!t anyway

On 11/5/2018 at 5:37 PM, Mutant-art: Cat&Koen said:

Some other irk: fairly new in the game, but I try to read frantically about all the do's and don'ts. In just reading the first pages in this topic, I read "change the logbook, never change the logbook, post needs maintenance, I do not like needs maintenance...". I have bought a small box that I want to place in the woods which are on a higly maintainable distance from my place as my first cache, filled it completely with swag and now I'm just doubting everything :D

I find it best to read the guidelines on the website when I want to know the rules - I read the forum out of interest - the do’s and don’ts on the forum are overwhelming.  Just my thoughts.

I've recently returned from a trip to Turkey. There is/was a Mystery that I DNFd in Istanbul. I had looked at the logs and saw heaps of Found Its. When I got home I had a closer look at the logs only to find 17 Found Its and one DNF on the cache which was clearly missing since (about) 30/5/18 and even stated as much in the logs and CO was giving permissions to log finds. The cache had become a virtual! There were no NMs logged until I logged one with my DNF after which the CO archived it.

It irks me that people wont log NMs when there is an obvious problem. (there were plenty of spoiler pics of where it was hidden so it was no doubt where it was supposed to be).

Edited by colleda
typo
  • Upvote 2
6 hours ago, colleda said:

I've recently returned from a trip to Turkey. There is/was a Mystery that I DNFd in Istanbul. I had looked at the logs and saw heaps of Found Its. When I got home I had a closer look at the logs only to find 17 Found Its and one DNF on the cache which was clearly missing since (about) 30/5/18 and even stated as much in the logs and CO was giving permissions to log finds. The cache had become a virtual! There were no NMs logged until I logged one with my DNF after which the CO archived it.

It irks me that people wont log NMs when there is an obvious problem. (there were plenty of spoiler pics of where it was hidden so it was no doubt where it was supposed to be).

That´s a big irk for me too. And it seems to be quite comon in Holliday Destinations. Had the same over and over. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, DerDiedler said:

That´s a big irk for me too. And it seems to be quite comon in Holliday Destinations. Had the same over and over. 

At a few touristy places I took photos of the log sheets then compared them later to listings and found more than a few "Found It" logs that did not appear on the log sheets/books, allowing for the obvious team cachers.

In the past six years years my wife and I (until she passed away in July) travelled tens of thousands of kilometres to log DNFs yet some think they can earn a smiley by going a few hundred kilometres and log finds on missing caches. Sounds like entitlement to me. Yep, it irks.

8 minutes ago, colleda said:

At a few touristy places I took photos of the log sheets then compared them later to listings and found more than a few "Found It" logs that did not appear on the log sheets/books, allowing for the obvious team cachers.

In the past six years years my wife and I (until she passed away in July) travelled tens of thousands of kilometres to log DNFs yet some think they can earn a smiley by going a few hundred kilometres and log finds on missing caches. Sounds like entitlement to me. Yep, it irks.

Like this Wherigo in Lisbon where for 2 years people are logging founds on a broken box. (no logbook, no key and no cover). Many NM logs, a NA in September with an immediate (same day) reaction by the CO to fix the cache "by the end of the month".  Yesterday a new CO note again to "fix by the end of the month). All this without a reviewer stepping in (except in July for a TD).

BTW, I logged DNF + NM.

A verry verry good example ist this one GC6YRRA

And it still irks me. I´ve loged a DNF, looked up the logs and it was so obvious, that the cache is long gone but still finds were loged on a daily basis.

An suggested to archive the cache, the CO then contacted me in a way.... let´s say he do not understand what freaky problem I have with his nice cache.

Now the cache is up again and the storry just continues.

image.png.3d4c504992d92bcbfc6f5e53263e58f3.png

Love it!

Edited by DerDiedler
On 11/7/2018 at 2:22 AM, Ewe&Me said:

I find it best to read the guidelines on the website when I want to know the rules - I read the forum out of interest - the do’s and don’ts on the forum are overwhelming.  Just my thoughts.

I did and follow them, but then I was curious about what people find nice or annoying caches. Turns out that there is not really a consensus, except about beautifully craftes caches. I'll just try my best with my first cache (which will be a container in the forest, nót a micro :D), see how that goes and meanwhile I can brood on a lot more creative and special ideas.

1 hour ago, Mutant-art: Cat&Koen said:

I'll just try my best with my first cache (which will be a container in the forest, nót a micro :D), see how that goes and meanwhile I can brood on a lot more creative and special ideas.

Good idea.  Start simple but in a good location, then move on from there.  Placing a "basic" cache with a good container and in an area where it will be easily maintained will give you a sense of cache ownership.  Then you can decide how creative (which also often means complex) you want to get.

• Love 1
On 11/5/2018 at 1:37 PM, Mutant-art: Cat&Koen said:

There are many conflicting opinions, which is not surprising, but you'll also notice that the posters in these forums are from all over the world. There are some things that differ between different regions, so consider that and maybe just focus on what is local to your region.  For example, some places where caches are rare might be more open to cachers fixing up other people's caches, since there would otherwise be no caches to find. And some cachers are less annoyed by caches hidden in high terrain areas taking a few months to get fixed up, while they would be annoyed if a cache in a busy city area took a few weeks.

I'll admit that comments in these forums have also discouraged me from some hide ideas.  :(

On 10/3/2018 at 1:38 PM, DreamMachine74 said:

A little, but redundant peeve is staring at and "stalking" a cache online which clearly isn't there since no one has found it for months or years, but the CO never responds and it's never archived. It's annoying after a while.

Do you mean that is "clearly isn't there" just because it hasn't been found for a long time, or have there been DNF logs for a long time?

Just because a cache hasn't been found in a long time doesn't mean there's a problem with it and the CO doesn't need to respond just because a cache is "lonely".

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
9 hours ago, noncentric said:

Just because a cache hasn't been found in a long time doesn't mean there's a problem with it and the CO doesn't need to respond just because a cache is "lonely".

Yep.

On one of our most-of-the-day hides visited maybe twice a year, a bunch of folks did it as a group. 

A cacher wrote a note afterwards that they would have gone earlier, but it sat for so long, they didn't know if it was still there.

He never mailed me...

7 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Yep.

On one of our most-of-the-day hides visited maybe twice a year, a bunch of folks did it as a group. 

A cacher wrote a note afterwards that they would have gone earlier, but it sat for so long, they didn't know if it was still there.

He never mailed me... 

Eight of my hides haven't been found for more than six months, two of those last found in 2017 and one in 2016. Yet to the best of my knowledge they're all still there and in good condition, it's just that everyone who's wanted to do them has already done so.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Eight of my hides haven't been found for more than six months, two of those last found in 2017 and one in 2016. Yet to the best of my knowledge they're all still there and in good condition, it's just that everyone who's wanted to do them has already done so.

I want to find them!  I look at one or two of yours every time you mention one of them in the forum, but I am still trying to save enough money for airfare.  :(

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, noncentric said:

Do you mean that is "clearly isn't there" just because it hasn't been found for a long time, or have there been DNF logs for a long time?

I mean there are multiple "did not find" types of messages on the page for the cache. 

• Helpful 1
7 minutes ago, DreamMachine74 said:

I mean there are multiple "did not find" types of messages on the page for the cache. 

Previous hunters' DNFs don't bother me much, depending on the difficulty rating.

Here's a cache that has four DNFs in a row, no log from the CO, and it hasn't been found since August of last year.  I walked right up and found it.  Sometimes you gotta go try to find it yourself, to see if it's there. :)

2 hours ago, ladyleo191 said:

I want to find them!  I look at one or two of yours every time you mention one of them in the forum, but I am still trying to save enough money for airfare.  :(

Me too, but I don't need airfare. Almost everytime I go past some of Jeff's caches I'm in motorcycle gear which is not conducive to hikes in the bush. Example today I twice rode past these two near Bumble Hill, a very popular ride for bikers.

GC71QN9

Will have to come back in the Forester more suitably attired.

NC is a loooooong way.

• Funny 1
On 11/18/2018 at 12:49 PM, colleda said:

Me too, but I don't need airfare. Almost everytime I go past some of Jeff's caches I'm in motorcycle gear which is not conducive to hikes in the bush. Example today I twice rode past these two near Bumble Hill, a very popular ride for bikers.

GC71QN9

Will have to come back in the Forester more suitably attired.

NC is a loooooong way.

Glad to see you got to them yesterday ?.

On 10/30/2018 at 3:03 AM, barefootjeff said:

Challenge caches are different in that completing the challenge is an Additional Logging Requirement, whereas solving the puzzle for a mystery or visiting all the stages of a multi isn't allowed to be and for those, if you sign the logbook you can log the find. If you find and sign the log of a challenge cache but haven't yet fulfilled the challenge, you should log a WN which you can later change to a find when you've qualified.

Irksome right now is my inability to figure out how to include all the stuff that got quoted in this post.   I miss the old forums that allowed manipulation of the raw text/links etc.

Meanwhile, using notes and then a found-it is irksome.   The time at which the challenge is completed and the found-it is logged might not correlate with the container still being extant.  You end up with spurious found-its in the midst of DNFs:   https://coord.info/GC7HRFX

There should be some feature that includes a discrete log type for challenge completion.    This would also eliminate another's irk which I was unable to quote, which was n00bs logging a Found when they haven't completed the challenge requirements. 

The only officially-sanctioned Additional Logging Requirement should have an additional unique log type.

• Funny 1
8 hours ago, frinklabs said:

Irksome right now is my inability to figure out how to include all the stuff that got quoted in this post.  

You can select everything from a posting, including its quotes, and then click on the little "Quote selection" popup. The "select everything" part is not entirely trivial ;) , because you must take care not to select too much (e.g. the "Posted <some time ago>" headline), because then the "Quote selection" will not appear.

I miss the old forums that allowed manipulation of the raw text/links etc.

So do I.

Anyway...

Meanwhile, using notes and then a found-it is irksome.   The time at which the challenge is completed and the found-it is logged might not correlate with the container still being extant.  You end up with spurious found-its in the midst of DNFs:   https://coord.info/GC7HRFX

I've also noticed this, and while it doesn't irk me, it can indeed be irritating, if it leads to misleading find logs when the cache is actually gone. But since the guidelines are unclear here (at least, they're not clear for me :unsure:), I don't blame the cachers for logging this way. My own standard operating procedure in this case is to log another note, stating that I have now completed the challenge, and changing the type of my original note to "Found it". This way, the find appears in my stats for the day on which I actually found the cache, which is the way I prefer it.

Interestingly, others sometimes use the "Log a find when I meet the challenge criteria" strategy for padding a find streak for days when they couldn't get out to find their cache-of-the-day :rolleyes:.

10 hours ago, baer2006 said:

Interestingly, others sometimes use the "Log a find when I meet the challenge criteria" strategy for padding a find streak for days when they couldn't get out to find their cache-of-the-day :rolleyes:.

That's not so much an issue as EC logs (one viable date being the visit, the other being the homework completion). For a challenge, you cached on the day you found the challenge cache, and you cached on the day you qualified for the challenge. So it doesn't really matter (in the context of cache-a-day challenges) which date is used.  On either date, you cached.

2 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

For a challenge, you cached on the day you found the challenge cache, and you cached on the day you qualified for the challenge. So it doesn't really matter (in the context of cache-a-day challenges) which date is used.  On either date, you cached.

In theory, you are right. But what I meant by "padding the find streak with challenges" is, that some cachers log a find for the completed challenge at an arbitrary date after they completed it. With a log going like "Oh, I just saw that I now fulfill the challenge. I found the box a long time ago, so I'm now logging a find".