What Irks you most?

2 hours ago, J Grouchy said:
On 8/24/2018 at 11:08 AM, SuperKrypto said:

- cache owners who place a hide that has issues from the start that are never addressed like really off coordinates or a webpage full of typos

Oh boy.  We had one of those pop up recently.

GC7VVTZ

We've had two recently - GC7VMD2 and GC7WE0F - CO has no finds, and now two problematic hides. 

And yes, typos and poorly worded descriptions that seem to be thrown together just to get the cache out there and in play.  For a cache that is just thrown out there with no real thought as to WHY you would go find it, other than one more smilie.

Spending time helping someone on the forums who asked for advice, only to have the entire thread (with everyone else's advice/posts) deleted. Argggh.

About a month ago I got a Geocaching message from a complete stranger, specifically addressed to me. She/he said they were trying to geocache with their kid and having trouble figuring how how to do it, and couldn't figure out the app. I literally stopped what I was doing to send them a really nice, helpful email. I even offered to meet up with them if they wanted me to help them in the field. I've taught many many classes at the Parks and Rec and to Scout groups, and I love helping people learn something new.

Never heard back. I messaged again, asking if they got my message. Nothing. Two weeks later I sent an email, just to check if they ever got my message. Nothing.

WHY??? 

• Upvote 3
11 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Spending time helping someone on the forums who asked for advice, only to have the entire thread (with everyone else's advice/posts) deleted. Argggh.

About a month ago I got a Geocaching message from a complete stranger, specifically addressed to me. She/he said they were trying to geocache with their kid and having trouble figuring how how to do it, and couldn't figure out the app. I literally stopped what I was doing to send them a really nice, helpful email. I even offered to meet up with them if they wanted me to help them in the field. I've taught many many classes at the Parks and Rec and to Scout groups, and I love helping people learn something new.

Never heard back. I messaged again, asking if they got my message. Nothing. Two weeks later I sent an email, just to check if they ever got my message. Nothing.

WHY??? 

Kind of reminds me of the many times my wife will text me a question or an item to pick up at the store on the way home and I will literally respond within ten seconds with a follow-up question of my own...but then she doesn't answer.  I'm thinking "You JUST TEXTED ME!  You probably still have the phone in your hand!  RSVP!!"

• Funny 1
4 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

This irked me recently. Someone sent me a message asking if I could assist them with a cache they hadn't found. I checked. No DNF. I replied I would have considered giving them a hint, but not when they haven't logged a DNF. The reply was something like, "Fine, whatever swings your boat." They still haven't logged a DNF. What is it with these people who are too cowardly to log DNFs?

We have a lot like that here, so take a zanex if ever in this area.   :laughing:

I go out a week later for an unfound cache, and see an area with turned rocks and footprints all over,  yet no DNF on the cache page.

I don't think it's "cowardly" though.  I believe these folks are too arrogant to allow others to see their mistake.  

36 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

... Never heard back. I messaged again, asking if they got my message. Nothing. Two weeks later I sent an email, just to check if they ever got my message. Nothing.

WHY??? 

Kinda like the numerous " I'm heading out this weekend..."  how to questions in these forums, then they never come back to tell you if it worked?    :)

There's a thread started in another forum here for something with a timeline.  They haven't come back in two months.  Go figure...

44 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

WHY??? 

Why? Seriously?

Let's recap. A person (let's say a mom) is trying out a hobby with their child and having some difficulty. It's hard, it's confusing, it's frustrating, and the kid's probably picking up on the anxiety.

So, she reaches out so some local dude that she doesn't know but who SEEMED like a knowledgeable guy ONLINE, who send back a detailed response which obviously took a long time to craft, meaning this stranger put a lot of effort into it which would be a surprise since you don't KNOW her, and finished by saying "Get your kid and meet me in the woods."

THEN, she got a string of follow-up messages, urging her to get together.

Would YOU answer?

---

I recently had a similar thing happen. I had a mom message me through the app because she and her daughter couldn't find one of my caches. I answered her, giving another hint.

Next day I mentioned it to my wife, who said that she had coincidentally seen a young woman and a little kid poking around the cache on her way home the day before!

In a friendly way, I sent the woman another note saying, "Hey, by the way, here's a funny thing - my wife SAW you...."

After that, crickets. She's gone. Just one find. It tripped her alarm, and that's that.

I try to be a really friendly guy, but sometimes I forget to see my messages from the recipient's side.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
52 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Why? Seriously?

Let's recap. A person (let's say a mom) is trying out a hobby with their child and having some difficulty. It's hard, it's confusing, it's frustrating, and the kid's probably picking up on the anxiety.

So, she reaches out so some local dude that she doesn't know but who SEEMED like a knowledgeable guy ONLINE, who send back a detailed response which obviously took a long time to craft, meaning this stranger put a lot of effort into it which would be a surprise since you don't KNOW her, and finished by saying "Get your kid and meet me in the woods."

THEN, she got a string of follow-up messages, urging her to get together.

Would YOU answer?

---

I recently had a similar thing happen. I had a mom message me through the app because she and her daughter couldn't find one of my caches. I answered her, giving another hint.

Next day I mentioned it to my wife, who said that she had coincidentally seen a young woman and a little kid poking around the cache on her way home the day before!

In a friendly way, I sent the woman another note saying, "Hey, by the way, here's a funny thing - my wife SAW you...."

After that, crickets. She's gone. Just one find. It tripped her alarm, and that's that.

I try to be a really friendly guy, but sometimes I forget to see my messages from the recipient's side.

That was harsh. I only offered ONE time to meet up with them and show them how to use the app and find an easy cache.  "Get your kid and meet me in the woods?"  Seriously?  I very specifically offered to meet at our local Target, for a parking lot cache. No ticks, bushwacking, an easy one for them to start with.

Just fyi, I'm not a Dude. The person who messaged me knows that because I told them my name.

Since they had 0 finds I worried they hadn't set up to get GC messages so I tried once more then emailed them ONCE. The follow up message and email were only to ask if they had received the message I sent.

And YES, I would answer to say thank you for the information on using the app, and I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

That was harsh. I only offered ONE time to meet up with them and show them how to use the app and find an easy cache.  "Get your kid and meet me in the woods?"  Seriously?  I very specifically offered to meet at our local Target, for a parking lot cache. No ticks, bushwacking, an easy one for them to start with.

Just fyi, I'm not a Dude. The person who messaged me knows that because I told them my name.

Since they had 0 finds I worried they hadn't set up to get GC messages so I tried once more then emailed them ONCE. The follow up message and email were only to ask if they had received the message I sent.

And YES, I would answer to say thank you for the information on using the app, and I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

I apologize if it came across harshly. And yes, I made assumptions in what I wrote as I said I did, but the message was more about the nature of why people sometimes go dark after exposing themselves online.

As for the "Meet me in the woods" thing, I was making a point.

Doesn't matter whether the perceived threat is a man or a woman; the message is the same. Once someone's radar is tickled, it's likely they'll never pop up again. In the case I cited, her initial response to me was bright and happy, full of assurances that they would go back the next day. I really don't know whether my second note scared them off with the message "YOU WERE SEEN ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD", but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'm not a woman or a person who's particularly vulnerable in this society and as such can only intellectually grasp the nature of some dangers, but I try to pay attention. On that one, I got it wrong.

This one, apparently, too. Sorry about the perceived harshness, it wasn't meant that way. Love the caching name, btw.

3 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

I apologize if it came across harshly. And yes, I made assumptions in what I wrote as I said I did, but the message was more about the nature of why people sometimes go dark after exposing themselves online.

As for the "Meet me in the woods" thing, I was making a point.

Doesn't matter whether the perceived threat is a man or a woman; the message is the same. Once someone's radar is tickled, it's likely they'll never pop up again. In the case I cited, her initial response to me was bright and happy, full of assurances that they would go back the next day. I really don't know whether my second note scared them off with the message "YOU WERE SEEN ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD", but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'm not a woman or a person who's particularly vulnerable in this society and as such can only intellectually grasp the nature of some dangers, but I try to pay attention. On that one, I got it wrong.

This one, apparently, too. Sorry about the perceived harshness, it wasn't meant that way. Love the caching name, btw.

Thank you. I truly appreciate that. I just wish they would have responded AT ALL. Anything to not leave me hanging.

I have helped so many geocachers get started because when I started there was no one around to help me. I once saw someone when a Geocaching shirt (12 years ago), and asked if they'd be willing to show us the ropes. His only response was "Just go to the website".  Once I got experienced, I REALLY enjoyed teaching classes at the Parks and Rec, and to Scouting groups. That was so much fun for me!

On another note about meeting strangers: many years ago I got a message from a complete stranger (a woman, so she said) who asked if I'd be willing to meet up with her in OKC and show her the ropes. I said Yes, I'd love to!!  But honest to god, when I drove up I texted the license plate number to my family, just in case. She was a middle aged woman, and when she got into my car she laughed and said, "I can't believe I'm getting into a stranger's car!"  But we had SO much fun driving around together and finding caches!  But you DO absolutely need to be careful!

Just to clarify: I am 99. I do ALL the forum posting and 99% of the puzzle creations on my account. Max is the male agent of the group (as you know) and he does the HTML and most of the driving when we go geocaching. He refuses to stop and ask for help, so I'm the navigator.  :)

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Just to clarify: I am 99. I do ALL the forum posting and 99% of the puzzle creations on my account. Max is the male agent of the group (as you know) and he does the HTML and most of the driving when we go geocaching. He refuses to stop and ask for help, so I'm the navigator.

Does his GPS look like a shoe?

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
12 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Thank you. I truly appreciate that. I just wish they would have responded AT ALL. Anything to not leave me hanging.

I have helped so many geocachers get started because when I started there was no one around to help me. I once saw someone when a Geocaching shirt (12 years ago), and asked if they'd be willing to show us the ropes. His only response was "Just go to the website".  Once I got experienced, I REALLY enjoyed teaching classes at the Parks and Rec, and to Scouting groups. That was so much fun for me!

On another note about meeting strangers: many years ago I got a message from a complete stranger (a woman, so she said) who asked if I'd be willing to meet up with her in OKC and show her the ropes. I said Yes, I'd love to!!  But honest to god, when I drove up I texted the license plate number to my family, just in case. She was a middle aged woman, and when she got into my car she laughed and said, "I can't believe I'm getting into a stranger's car!"  But we had SO much fun driving around together and finding caches!  But you DO absolutely need to be careful!

Just to clarify: I am 99. I do ALL the forum posting and 99% of the puzzle creations on my account. Max is the male agent of the group (as you know) and he does the HTML and most of the driving when we go geocaching. He refuses to stop and ask for help, so I'm the navigator.  :)

12 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Does his GPS look like a shoe?

I SHOULD have said "Sorry about that, Chief!", but I guess I missed it by THAT much.

Smiling at the thought of all the less-old cachers reading, this wondering what the hell we're talking about.

But, this is Kaos! We don't apologize here!

9 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

I SHOULD have said "Sorry about that, Chief!", but I guess I missed it by THAT much.

Smiling at the thought of all the less-old cachers reading, this wondering what the hell we're talking about.

But, this  Zis is Kaos! We Ve don't apologize here!

I corrected that for you.

You can't miss our car. For 25 years it's had a "Get Smart themed"  license plate. It's fun to watch people take a second look then laugh when they recognize the name.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I don't think it's "cowardly" though.  I believe these folks are too arrogant to allow others to see their mistake.

I consider it "cowardly" not being able to admit to a mistake. Maybe  cowardly and arrogance sometimes might be interchangeable. Some people will only log a DNF AFTER someone else makes the first one. Too insecure to log the first one. Yes, it's obvious I respect geocachers who log DNFs more than those that don't. This is "What irks you most" so I will say that.

I logged a DNF on a cache that hadn't had a log for six months, but regularly logged before. (Within days a second DNF was logged. See previous above comment:rolleyes:.) Based on previous logging statistics, I figured about 20 people had not logged DNFs during this time. The CO checked and found the cache missing and sent me a message thanking me for logging the DNF.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 2
16 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

But, this is Kaos! We don't apologize here!

This is getting off topic.  If we're going to continue this discussion we will need to step into the cone of silence. 

19 hours ago, hzoi said:

Reminds me of the time I stopped for a TB hotel off the Autobahn and got chewed out by a prostitute because I parked too close to her van.  I just thought it was a van when I parked there, ma'am. Didn't realize I was scaring off other customers.

Or the other times I've been followed, or even solicited, in what I thought was just a park, but turned out to be a "pickle park."  As recently as last week -- guess I've still got my looks after all. 

(Google "pickle park" at your own risk if you're unfamiliar with the term.)

(Googled) Didn't know there was a name for that kind of activity, learning new things everyday thanks to geocaching :rolleyes:that's exactly what I think was going on in the bushes. I just dont understand how they placed their cache in a place like that, they must know what's going on there...i wrote a note to the CO but I'm thinking that maybe I should even contact Groundspeak if they don't change the location/description of it being child friendly? 

5 hours ago, 3_KäseHoch said:

(Googled) Didn't know there was a name for that kind of activity, learning new things everyday thanks to geocaching :rolleyes:that's exactly what I think was going on in the bushes. I just dont understand how they placed their cache in a place like that, they must know what's going on there...i wrote a note to the CO but I'm thinking that maybe I should even contact Groundspeak if they don't change the location/description of it being child friendly? 

Sometimes it's not so obvious to a CO "what's going on".  In the first month I started geocaching (in 2007) I found a cache that was placed in 2001.  Looking back at the log I see that I wrote:

"Despite the fact that it was a cold morning I encountered two other muggles just wandering the trails...it seemed kinda odd. I asked one of them after finding the cache if he was geocaching and he said he was just "wondering through the woods". The other was standing near the cache when I got fairly close so I just followed the trail and doubled back."

I forgot all about that but remember finding another cache placed in the same area (after that 2001 cache was archived) a couple of years later.    There's a wooden foot bridge that I crossed from where I had parked to get to the trail into the woods.  There was a guy fishing from the bridge so I stopped for a minute or so to chat (I'm a flyfisherman).  I went onto the trail a couple of hundred feet into the woods, found the cache,  signed the log then looked up to see the guy from the bridge standing about 50' from me.    If the area *is* a "pickle-park"  I didn't know that beforehand and I doubt that the CO of either cache knew as well.  

Having a trackable left in a "needs maintenance " or subpar cache. I wanted to upload a picture of the cache I rescued my trackable from today but it is not working. It was literally a mess. The person commented on how terrible it was then left my trackable there!!

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
5 minutes ago, Fitou11 said:

Having a trackable left in a "needs maintenance " or subpar cache. I wanted to upload a picture of the cache I rescued my trackable from today but it is not working. It was literally a mess. The person commented on how terrible it was then left my trackable there!!

Agreed.    The last few I Retrieved were in caches that were full of water just a couple days after dropped.  

What's the thinking behind that?

- But then most said "fun one !" or similar, with no mention that they needed maintenance .  Odd.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
On 8/24/2018 at 2:08 PM, SuperKrypto said:

- cache owners who place a hide that has issues from the start that are never addressed like really off coordinates or a webpage full of typos

There's one of these near me.  It was published about six weeks ago.  The first four logs were all DNFs.  (One was mine.)  Then after three weeks of inactivity, the reviewer posted a note that something needs to be done about this.  That was two weeks ago, and nothing has happened.

And for what it's worth, the CO has 500+ finds, though only 10 this year to date.

Edited by MysteryGuy1
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, on4bam said:

CO's who think that after one year the "cache had it's time", archive a whole series and write in their archive logs there will be a new series along the same track soon (probably just moving all the old caches some distance along the paths).

6 hours ago, DerDiedler said:

Why all this effort? Just republish! Even the old logbooks are still good to go :rolleyes:

This has always been a little irk, especially since there is a guideline stating that temporary caches aren't publishable. Takes a little more effort but I always try to place caches that I feel will be in it for the long haul. 

DerDiedler, it happens at times. I know of at least one series that was handled that way.  :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, luvvinbird said:

Logs that are even more terse than TFTC. Two local geocachers log online with only this  (:  and it's opposite. 

Yes even just TFTC is bad I planted a really nice cache and all I got is TFTC! Wow! And I can't even imagine someone just doing smileys that's a lot worse yet!

My newest irk.

This took place a couple Fridays ago.

A few friends and I went to Seattle for some new action. non geocaching related since the people I was with were muggles. That evening we ended up at a bar for a drink before catching the last ferry back toward home. We weren't in there more than 15 minutes when a group of guys were talking pretty loud about treasure hunting and one guy was telling the others that there were treasures everywhere for the taking. He boasted how some of them had jewelry, some has coins. 

He showed his drunk group some of his treasures he recently found. I could not see from where we were sitting of course. He told them a treasure was close by. Soon afterwards they all stumbled outside as the treasure talker lead them. I was thinking at that moment they were going to find that treasure nearby.

Does this sound like he found a couple Geocaches?

Would this explain why some caches go missing? Maybe even TBs?

I don't know if this drunk person was a Geocacher or just got lucky.

Maybe he was talking about something altogether.

• Upvote 1

People who apparently don't like cut and paste logs, but use cut and paste logs anyway:

My apologies for the cut and paste logs, but my addiction just won't allow to be elegant.

Sorry for the cut and paste logs but it was a blur of a day.

Not a big fan of the cut and paste logs but that is what happens with so many found.

I would normally not place a cut and paste log and I would describe the adventure but since I  found an incredible number of caches I think I will simply have to use the cut/paste option.

My apologies for the cut and paste but we're gonna do a bunch today

Apologies for the ‘cut and paste’ log – there are still many caches to be done. icon_smile_wink.gif

I apologize for the cut and paste but time will not allow for too much customization.

All caches easily found, apologies for the cut and paste logs

Thanks for place and sorry for the cut and paste.

• Upvote 6

A moldy, dirty, wet, non-watertight, abandoned cache, that's "made better for the next finder" by leaving a (currently) dry logsheet in a baggie, logging a find, but not logging a Needs Maintenance log (or Needs Archive--this cache was abandoned in 2012). 

c9010fcd-624d-46a8-8d39-8abbcf36b1ed_l.j

• Upvote 4
6 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

A moldy, dirty, wet, non-watertight, abandoned cache, that's "made better for the next finder" by leaving a (currently) dry logsheet in a baggie, logging a find, but not logging a Needs Maintenance log (or Needs Archive--this cache was abandoned in 2012). 

c9010fcd-624d-46a8-8d39-8abbcf36b1ed_l.j

I think you're being a little harsh :ph34r:

Anybody would think that releasing and breathing in all those mould spores was bad for your health.

When people ask me about geocaching I show them a photo like this and they are super-impressed and can't wait to get out there and get started.

• Funny 1
2 hours ago, DreamMachine74 said:

A little, but redundant peeve is staring at and "stalking" a cache online which clearly isn't there since no one has found it for months or years, but the CO never responds and it's never archived. It's annoying after a while.

So you mean you're annoyed when people don't post NAs? If so, boy, that's a big +1 from me.

On 9/24/2018 at 11:56 AM, L0ne.R said:

People who apparently don't like cut and paste logs, but use cut and paste logs anyway:

On this subject, there was guy who logged all trackables,

Discover Log 1 -    Sorry for the duplicate log, thanks for sharing

Discover Log 2 -    Sorry for the duplicate log, thanks for sharing

He was actually surprised when I deleted both logs, and suggested that rather than deliberately posting duplicate logs while apologizing for doing it, he could log once.

Not that big of an irk, but kinda of amusing really...

• Upvote 3

Hello Everyone!  I'm not so much irked as just have a question:  Would I be unreasonable to request that if a cache owner doesn't wish to play anymore, please remove and archive them instead of simply abandoning them and not responding.  Isn't that what you would want?  It sort of puts a damper on the game to get enthusiastic about a cache and then find out it's no good.  Thanks!

• Upvote 2
35 minutes ago, A1smallfry said:

Hello Everyone!  I'm not so much irked as just have a question:  Would I be unreasonable to request that if a cache owner doesn't wish to play anymore, please remove and archive them instead of simply abandoning them and not responding.  Isn't that what you would want?  It sort of puts a damper on the game to get enthusiastic about a cache and then find out it's no good.  Thanks!

Quite often if a CO decides to stop playing the game, but leaves their caches in place (and stops maintaining them), they're not going to respond to a request to remove and archive the cases.  Unfortunately, there really isn't a way to enforce the removal of caches that are (or should not be) in play anymore.

I have, on a couple of occasions, sent an email message to a CO about a cache or two when, from recent logs, it was pretty obvious that the cache was missing.  It was usually when I was traveling to an area and wanted to try and find a cache or two, and I just asked if the cache might be available when I got there.  So far, I have yet to receive a response.   As disappointing as it is to go searching for a cache, only to discover that it's gone missing,   I just post a DNF log (and will sometimes send a PM to the owner with a photo) and move on.

51 minutes ago, A1smallfry said:

I'm not so much irked as just have a question:  Would I be unreasonable to request that if a cache owner doesn't wish to play anymore, please remove and archive them instead of simply abandoning them and not responding.  Isn't that what you would want?  It sort of puts a damper on the game to get enthusiastic about a cache and then find out it's no good.  Thanks!

I agree, it would be nice... and what I'd want - at the time. 

For us, if something got me so ticked off that I just give it all up, I'd have to go to retrieve the ammo cans and larger containers.

- Don't want any of those  @%&$#* having them.      :D

But I can see someone fed up and quitting all,  not bothering to go back for their not-maintained, nondescript "just an open spot..." taped pill bottle hides.

If they put little to no thought in the hide when they were active,  I wouldn't expect much more out of them when not.    :)

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I have yet to receive a response.   

I have removed decrepit caches (broken containers with contents swimming in brown liquid that made me gag). I leave a log saying I dumped the container and will give the cache owner a container. I have never received a response, all of those caches were archived by reviewers. 

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

As disappointing as it is to go searching for a cache, only to discover that it's gone missing, 

What irks me more than a likely missing cache that is being ignored by a CO,  is a mouldy junk cache. At least the missing cache isn't a health hazard (but they're both an irksome problem). 

IMG_1347 - Copy.JPG

Edited by L0ne.R
  • Upvote 2