What Irks you most?

What irks me the most is about a week ago, the number of free caches have been diminished to less than half of what it used to be and is now only available to premium users (I live in Calgary, Alberta in Canada). Why? Caches are hidden by users and unless you pay them, I don’t see any reason to piggyback on their efforts. Why try to monetize it for your profit? Sure you have the app to maintain but you have a store. Can’t you get the profit from there?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, MysteryGuy1 said:

When you go nuts looking for a 1.5 difficulty and come up empty, then a less-experienced cacher logs a find the same day.

And when you go back to try it again you find a bison tube, and the less-experienced cacher's name is first on the scroll.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, niraD said:
21 hours ago, Team Christiansen said:

newby with only a handful of finds says in his Found it log that the coords are off. 

And the coordinates were off by FIVE WHOLE FEET! ;)

Or it's a rough area, people note the difficulty getting a lock, and it's mentioned in the listing that gps lock is difficult, and newby still states emphatically in the log that the coordinates are off.  *irk*

Further to that - cache log history where there are comments that coordinates are bang on, and comments that coordinates are off.  Who do you trust amongst this crowd of unknown geocachers (CO/'accurate' finders/'inaccurate' finders)? This is why you put the gps away and hone your geosense when you're nearby! *irk*

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 2
On 8/2/2018 at 12:04 PM, coloapnosis said:

What irks me the most is about a week ago, the number of free caches have been diminished to less than half of what it used to be and is now only available to premium users (I live in Calgary, Alberta in Canada). Why? Caches are hidden by users and unless you pay them, I don’t see any reason to piggyback on their efforts. Why try to monetize it for your profit? Sure you have the app to maintain but you have a store. Can’t you get the profit from there?

You were able to see so many non-PMO caches via the app because of the app testing that was being done in Canada and New Zealand.  You can read more about it  HERE .

As a Basic Member, you are now restricted from seeing "Advanced" caches in the app.  That has been happening in the app for non-CA/non-NZ cachers all this time.  You just happened to start caching during the free test period.

"Advanced" caches are those with D/T ratings greater than 2, or non-trad or non-event cache types.  You can still see those caches if you use a web browser to view the cache map, then get the coords from the cache's webpage and paste those coords into a map app (even Google Maps app).  You may consider it some type of 'profit' issue, but maybe consider that there are costs associated with running the website/apps and employees need to be paid.  Plus, those employees are in a city with a high cost-of-living.  Also, consider that the cost of Premium Membership ($30 USD/year) has NEVER increased since it first started 15+ years ago.  Cachers do place caches for free, but the website/apps tell other caches about their caches, records the logs for their caches, saves photo galleries for their caches, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

When you work out an idea for a cache, and then you go out and find that the hiding place you'd selected is gone.  Happened for the second time to me today.  Argghhh.

First time, a while back, it was a shark head buoy.  I was still trying to figure out who the owner was to ask permission and then one day I noticed the buoy was gone.

Second time, today, was a pay phone.  I wanted to incorporate it into a multi-cache, then noticed this morning that it's gone.

• Upvote 1
On 5/23/2013 at 11:42 AM, avroair said:

What would you consider a Deadly Sin in geocaching? What irks you most? I'm compiling a list for an event...

I've read through almost all of this thread, which has taken quite a while. But after giving it some thought I decided that nothing actually irks me about geocaching. That's the beauty of the game. If any particular cache doesn't suit my taste or mood, I can move on to another. At worst I may find a cache boring, uninteresting, or maybe not well maintained. In those instances I move on. At best I have found some caches to be the most fun I have ever had. Overall, I just can't really complain. Geocaching has given me too much.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

Definitely the explosion of micro caches with no challenge in a mundane spot and here in Northern Australia the map is covered in them. The most pristine 20km drive from Cairns to Port Douglas has a cache every 500m stuck in the guard rail on a very busy road???  Verifiers need to start screening these more asking perhaps why are you putting this there? View ? Memory? Activity ? Not just so I can own 40 caches. Hats off though to the original members who got me hooked on this game with amazing puzzles, awesome containers in unreal places ..

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Here are some more:

1.  Muggles sitting in cars parked inches from GZ who Just. Won't. Leave.

2.  Hints that state some form of "I'm not giving you a hint."  The cache page will automatically tell us if there's no hint.  Why rub it in?

3.  Misleading hints.  For example, saying the cache is "near the huge tree" in an area with a very obvious "huge tree" -- when in fact the cache is near a somewhat smaller tree nearby.

4.  When you get scratched up or otherwise hurt looking for a cache you end up not finding.

• Upvote 3
6 hours ago, MysteryGuy1 said:

Hints that state some form of "I'm not giving you a hint."  The cache page will automatically tell us if there's no hint.  Why rub it in?

Misleading hints.  For example, saying the cache is "near the huge tree" in an area with a very obvious "huge tree" -- when in fact the cache is near a somewhat smaller tree nearby. 

3 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

And cryptic hints that I don’t get!

We have one who's hint on all caches says, "When replacing cache, please hide it as you found it.".     

Yeah, thanks for that helpful hint...

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

We have one who's hint on all caches says, "When replacing cache, please hide it as you found it.".     

Yeah, thanks for that helpful hint...

Interestingly, sometimes, sometimes, those can be a little helpful. In a case like that, the 'hint' could indicate something it's not... like, it's not a PB jar sitting in a tree; it precise replacement is necessary (assuming it's in its proper place of course), then I'd start looking for a place a well-camoed or snugly-fit container of some size might be able to exist.

But yes, it's a cheeky hint. Just give a regular old hint! heh

44 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Interestingly, sometimes, sometimes, those can be a little helpful.

We've found a few caches that the CO asks on the cache page that it be placed the same as you found it (due to it's exact placement).

Some so exact they end up a maintenance issue for the CO.   ;)

- But none of these caches are like that.  Basic hides (cubbyholes under rocks and trees mostly).

31 minutes ago, Team Microdot said:

Puzzles with red herrings plus a complete break in logic of any sort, rendering them nothing more than a guessing game.

Lazy.

This log just got filed on a local cache: "I love clues that make absolute perfect sense… After you find the cache. TFTC."

Since I've been following the last few messages in this thread, I went and looked at the hint: "Doesn't seem to belong there"

Point made.

1 hour ago, J Grouchy said:

New teamwork multi, weeks in the making...then this:

ftftftc.PNG.8e7776f33cae8bd4abab3d7b0ee6b2cf.PNG

I know, I know...nobody is obliged to do more than that.  Still bloody awful, though.

At the very least, they could have included "more later" just to keep your hopes up... ;)

2 hours ago, Aussiebrian said:

Can I suggest having an alert when placing a hide which would not allow you to have 1.5 or more for terrain and accessible by wheelchair. A simple algorithm should be able to stop users doing this, making it easier for the hard working reviewers.

I just had a quick play, creating a new cache.  I found that if I selected the ‘Wheelchair accessible’ attribute and subsequently try to change the Terrain to anything other than 1, then the attribute is removed.  Seems strange that the same validation isn’t triggered when you Save at that point.

- cache owners who place a hide that has issues from the start that are never addressed like really off coordinates or a webpage full of typos

- cache owners that totally abandon the cache after placing it (a "hide and run")

- caches that get archived too soon or too quickly when there is an easily solved issue or to clear up the area for a new placement for the first-to-find competitors

- super spoiler pics or logs that say/show exactly where the cache is

14 minutes ago, SuperKrypto said:

<...>

- super spoiler pics or logs that say/show exactly where the cache is

Well, that LAST one is a pet irk of mine.

There's a brand new cacher here who just put out his first cache, with seven hides under his belt. Almost all of them have spoiler pictures. He SAYS that his pics don't give anything away, but the first one I looked at showed the fake rock in his hand.

THAT, by definition, is a spoiler.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Aussiebrian said:

Can I suggest having an alert when placing a hide which would not allow you to have 1.5 or more for terrain and accessible by wheelchair. A simple algorithm should be able to stop users doing this, making it easier for the hard working reviewers.

So a cache requiring 5 mile wheelchair accessible trip should be T1? I thought the only interesting problem in this area was listing a cache at T1 but then not saying it was wheelchair accessible. I'd understand an alert for that.

4 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Well, that LAST one is a pet irk of mine.

There's a brand new cacher here who just put out his first cache, with seven hides under his belt. Almost all of them have spoiler pictures. He SAYS that his pics don't give anything away, but the first one I looked at showed the fake rock in his hand.

THAT, by definition, is a spoiler.

Sounds like the CO of the rock cache needs to delete the picture or ask him to do it.

I've had one CO who asked me to edit my log to remove a reference that I was glad it was not in the spiky tree. Which I did. 

On 8/25/2018 at 6:42 AM, dprovan said:

So a cache requiring 5 mile wheelchair accessible trip should be T1? I thought the only interesting problem in this area was listing a cache at T1 but then not saying it was wheelchair accessible. I'd understand an alert for that.

Some wheelchairs are motorised. How would one consider that for T rating.

A "child friendly" cache with a TB inside who specifically wants to be with families placed in a space where you have to pass close by prostitutes standing on the street and other probably illegal activities going on in the bushes. What the heck. :mad: 

Also there seems to be a guy here who just places new logsheets when he doesn't find a cache so he can log them as Found. Even if 3 or 4 people before him logged Dnf. 

This irked me recently. Someone sent me a message asking if I could assist them with a cache they hadn't found. I checked. No DNF. I replied I would have considered giving them a hint, but not when they haven't logged a DNF. The reply was something like, "Fine, whatever swings your boat." They still haven't logged a DNF. What is it with these people who are too cowardly to log DNFs?

On 8/9/2018 at 11:27 PM, noncentric said:

those employees are in a city with a high cost-of-living.

Lamest excuse ever. Why should a global customer base care?

On 8/9/2018 at 11:27 PM, noncentric said:

Also, consider that the cost of Premium Membership ($30 USD/year) has NEVER increased since it first started 15+ years ago.

Now, imagine that the price of computers never went up. The first usable computer (ENIAC) cost $487000. It is such a boon that computers are still priced at $487000! You get much greater performance today and the inflation actually lowered the price 15 times! The computer vendors are selling them at a loss, basically!

On 8/10/2018 at 6:27 AM, noncentric said:

maybe consider that there are costs associated with running the website/apps and employees need to be paid.  Plus, those employees are in a city with a high cost-of-living.  Also, consider that the cost of Premium Membership ($30 USD/year) has NEVER increased since it first started 15+ years ago.

This is an irk of mine. Geocachers complaining about Premier Caches, because they won't pay for Premier Membership. I figure if they can afford a phone and then pay for data on that phone, they can afford membership and support the game. It was only this year that I could finally justify data on my phone, because I wasn't willing to pay the on going expense, which over the years I have been a member would have cost me far more than a one off purchase of a GPS. But I could justify the membership fee (far less than paying for data on a phone, at least in Australia), because if Geocching doesn't have money to pay it's workers and for other expenses, there won't be a game.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

They still haven't logged a DNF. What is it with these people who are too cowardly to log DNFs?

We have a guy in my area whose motto is ‘DNFs are not an option’. (Major throwdown guy, and proud of it.)

Edited by L0ne.R
56 minutes ago, J Grouchy said:

Maybe that's not what they actually said...but that makes no sense.  I've heard "whatever floats your boat"...but boats don't generally "swing".  

tenor.gif

I've used a variation of that in response to the "everyone can play the game the way they want" meme.

"I don't care what floats your boat until it starts to sink mine".   

53 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

We have a guy in my area whose motto is ‘DNFs are not an option’. (Major throwdown guy, and proud of it.)

If my cache wasn't missing, I would first ask them politely to please change their log to a DNF, and if they didn't I would delete their log. I have done just that. What a shame in those cases we can't change DNF phobic loggers false find logs to DNF.

Edited by Goldenwattle
5 hours ago, nex89 said:

placed in a space where you have to pass close by prostitutes standing on the street and other probably illegal activities going on in the bushes.

Reminds me of the time I stopped for a TB hotel off the Autobahn and got chewed out by a prostitute because I parked too close to her van.  I just thought it was a van when I parked there, ma'am. Didn't realize I was scaring off other customers.

Or the other times I've been followed, or even solicited, in what I thought was just a park, but turned out to be a "pickle park."  As recently as last week -- guess I've still got my looks after all. 

(Google "pickle park" at your own risk if you're unfamiliar with the term.)

2 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Or the other times I've been followed, or even solicited, in what I thought was just a park, but turned out to be a "pickle park."  As recently as last week -- guess I've still got my looks after all. 

(Google "pickle park" at your own risk if you're unfamiliar with the term.)

I didn't look it up but I guess it's an area where we (in Belgium" would warn people to put a soup plate in the back of our pants ;)

I did find a cache in a wooded area like that once, after I logged it I saw a few men "waiting" in their cars in the small parkinglot.