What Irks you most?

What irks me most? There's so many things but here is one that really gets me. You noticed there was a souvenir available so rather than go out and find a cache that day you instead just date changes a find from the day before. Really? Very disappointing. :huh:

If it irks you, why would you do that?

You A cacher noticed there was a souvenir available so rather than go out and find a cache that day you said cacher instead just date changes a find from the day before.

Is this better? Oh wait, here's some more clarification for you: in order to get the souvenir.

It irks me to think that there are geocachers monitoring each other's finds closely enough to notice something like that.

Cache having a low difficulty rating when it is challenging to find. Or people saying its an "easy" find when it is NOT!

Because a find may be hard for you doesn't mean it is hard for everyone, and vice versa. Just because one person says it was easy to find for them, doesn't make it true.

Cache having a low difficulty rating when it is challenging to find. Or people saying its an "easy" find when it is NOT!

Because a find may be hard for you doesn't mean it is hard for everyone, and vice versa. Just because one person says it was easy to find for them, doesn't make it true.

I've DNFed quite a few D1 caches in my time then slapped my forehead when I eventually found it (or had it pointed out to me) and yes, it really was a true D1 and I'd earned myself another Blind Freddy award to add to my collection.

I've DNFed quite a few D1 caches in my time then slapped my forehead when I eventually found it (or had it pointed out to me) and yes, it really was a true D1 and I'd earned myself another Blind Freddy award to add to my collection.

My husband gets quite annoyed with me because he'll spot an exciting D4 camo hide in his GPS, get all geared up for a good hunt after reading all the logs about how hard it is, and then we rock up to the GZ and I'm like "Here it is!" in 30 seconds. But a D 1.5 regular in a rock wall? I'll be looking for 45 minutes.

My husband gets quite annoyed with me because he'll spot an exciting D4 camo hide in his GPS, get all geared up for a good hunt after reading all the logs about how hard it is, and then we rock up to the GZ and I'm like "Here it is!" in 30 seconds. But a D 1.5 regular in a rock wall? I'll be looking for 45 minutes.
One of my Favorites is a D4 cache that I managed to spot in about 10 minutes. Another of my Favorites was an almost identical hide that took me 7 visits before I finally spotted it, recognized the hide style, and realized that I had had my hands on the cache multiple times without recognizing it for what it was. And I've been known to trip over a regular size container that was sitting in the open, that everyone else in the group had already spotted (huckle buckle beanstalk style).

You never know.

One of my Favorites is a D4 cache that I managed to spot in about 10 minutes. Another of my Favorites was an almost identical hide that took me 7 visits before I finally spotted it, recognized the hide style, and realized that I had had my hands on the cache multiple times without recognizing it for what it was. And I've been known to trip over a regular size container that was sitting in the open, that everyone else in the group had already spotted (huckle buckle beanstalk style).

You never know.

Sometimes you just get lucky. One of my favorite was a hide-a-key on a tank that, somehow, I managed to locate within a few minutes of arriving at GZ. I've spent an hour searching a nearly identical tank for a hide-a-key, and that one had a clue: It was rated a T1.

I've not only DNFd an ammo can, but it was a golden ammo can tribute cache rated a 1.5.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Smartphone era lame logs. Which I will define as two words or less (i.e. "found it"), although they most frequently take the form of "Tftc". Drives me absolutely bonkers. And the handful of people who slip through the cracks, and continue to lame log after hiding caches of their own, and finding several hundred or more. They really drive me bonkers. :mad:

^^^ THIS ^^^ !!!

I love puzzles. They extend this hobby for me beyond "just outdoors". I can partake while stuck in an airport, etc. and solve puzzles.

What Irks me is when people spoil puzzles. It comes across as a pathetic attempt to stroke one's e-peen and in the process, ruining the game for others. Very selfish.

If not for the high quality puzzles in our area (Greater SF Bay Area, California) I would have burned out completely on all the LAC's here.

Several things come to mind, however the biggest thing that irks...

People who get on these forums and somehow think they have the right to define what Geocaching is for everyone... and when you do something different than they would.. forget about it, the world is going to end!

Geocaching is something that is enjoyed different by each person... rule making and enforcing is already covered by a very able staff at Geocaching HQ.

When attacks and overly strong suggestions are made to put others down for their style of Geocaching, it is an obvious attempt to control things.. the only real thing it does is possibly steal joy away from others, and maybe yourself, cause after all.. you could be out Geocaching your own way, rather than telling others how it should be done!

Edited by SerenitySearchers

Smartphone era lame logs. Which I will define as two words or less (i.e. "found it"), although they most frequently take the form of "Tftc". Drives me absolutely bonkers. And the handful of people who slip through the cracks, and continue to lame log after hiding caches of their own, and finding several hundred or more. They really drive me bonkers. :mad:

^^^ THIS ^^^ !!!

I got a log the other day that just said, "Submitted via Garmin Oregon 7xx". The cache is called Forgotten Lookout and this is the view from GZ - it's a T2.5 hike up there so it's not just a P&G...

BlackwallMountainLookout.jpg

Edited by barefootjeff

When attacks and overly strong suggestions are made to put others down for their style of Geocaching, it is an obvious attempt to control things.. the only real thing it does is possibly steal joy away from others, and maybe yourself, cause after all.. you could be out Geocaching your own way, rather than telling others how it should be done!

It's funny you should say this. Didn't you just post in another thread applauding a reviewer for taking action against a cache because it wasn't fun enough? Who's telling who how it should be done?

...Trying to find a geocache and not being able to find it three or four times, and then asking CO for a hint and getting no response.

If you have looked for a cache three or four times and get no response from the CO you could log a Needs Maintenance on the cache. What Irks me now is people aren't loggin needs maintenance on caches because of the new system and getting confused by it but there are a few caches that need the NM wrench (its helpful to filter out caches with the NM attribute people are less likely to look for them, which irks me a lot people refusing to look for caches even if the NM is just do to a "full log" but thats another story!)

...Trying to find a geocache and not being able to find it three or four times, and then asking CO for a hint and getting no response.

If you have looked for a cache three or four times and get no response from the CO you could log a Needs Maintenance on the cache. What Irks me now is people aren't loggin needs maintenance on caches because of the new system and getting confused by it but there are a few caches that need the NM wrench (its helpful to filter out caches with the NM attribute people are less likely to look for them, which irks me a lot people refusing to look for caches even if the NM is just do to a "full log" but thats another story!)

A cache owner is not obligated to provide hints.

It's funny you should say this. Didn't you just post in another thread applauding a reviewer for taking action against a cache because it wasn't fun enough? Who's telling who how it should be done?

:o

Thank you for the clarification!

While it's not the purpose of your comment, I used to filter caches based on NM attribute also.

However, you'd be missing some caches that are in good condition (the pedants will hopefully notice I didn't call them "good" caches!).

For issues like full or damp / wet logs, leaky baggies, etc... I've corrected those type issues but not being a cache owner I can't reset the NM flag. However, I make a log entry that I did finder maintenance.

However, I do read NMd caches' logs more carefully to determine whether to search...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like it was a different user suggesting using NM when a cache owner doesn't respond to hints.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like it was a different user suggesting using NM when a cache owner doesn't respond to hints.

Let me clarify - thank you for that clarification.

While it's not the purpose of your comment, I used to filter caches based on NM attribute also.

However, you'd be missing some caches that are in good condition (the pedants will hopefully notice I didn't call them "good" caches!).

For issues like full or damp / wet logs, leaky baggies, etc... I've corrected those type issues but not being a cache owner I can't reset the NM flag. However, I make a log entry that I did finder maintenance.

However, I do read NMd caches' logs more carefully to determine whether to search...

You're right its important to read the NM logs to see what the issue is. I was trying to get there but that part was that "another story" I implied at the end so thank you for that clarification.

You're right its important to read the NM logs to see what the issue is. I was trying to get there but that part was that "another story" I implied at the end so thank you for that clarification.

:)

What irks me most? Caches like this one:

Publish Listing

05/25/2017

Published

Write note

05/26/2017

I went to look for your cache, but the 4 large KEEP OUT, and NO TRESPASSING signs should have indicated you couldn't hide this one here. Needs to be moved or archived.

Needs Archived

05/26/2017

This geocacher reported that this geocache should be archived. A community volunteer reviewer has been notified.

Archive

05/26/2017

Private property, I apologize.

:wacko:

What irks me??? Yes. The cache page said there were ticks. A wet lands area. Approaching the final cache, I noticed there were ticks on my pants. I removed 45 ticks on the way back to the cachemobile. 8 got tossed out the window on the drive back to the Dolphinarium. (Distracted driving?) When I got home, I checked my skin and clothing, and another ten ticks got flushed. Hope I found them all. Not sure that this is a place that geocachers should be hunting geocaches.

What irks me??? Yes. The cache page said there were ticks. A wet lands area. Approaching the final cache, I noticed there were ticks on my pants. I removed 45 ticks on the way back to the cachemobile. 8 got tossed out the window on the drive back to the Dolphinarium. (Distracted driving?) When I got home, I checked my skin and clothing, and another ten ticks got flushed. Hope I found them all. Not sure that this is a place that geocachers should be hunting geocaches.

If we avoided all areas that had a potentially dangerous creature, we'd all be doing micros on street corners, then you'd just get hit by a car....

There are ticks everywhere here. Should we move geocaching inside malls or something?

So you're saying you were warned there might be ticks, but you went anyway, and now you're mad because...the warning turned out to be accurate?

So you're saying you were warned there might be ticks, but you went anyway, and now you're mad because...the warning turned out to be accurate?

Rather, I am irked. Saturday, I went for a five mile hike (2 Found It, 2 DNF) and had three ticks. Sunday, I went for a half mile hike, and accumulated over 60 ticks! I don't usually get 60 ticks a year! I guess I was not expecting that high a concentration of ticks.

Rather, I am irked. Saturday, I went for a five mile hike (2 Found It, 2 DNF) and had three ticks. Sunday, I went for a half mile hike, and accumulated over 60 ticks! I don't usually get 60 ticks a year! I guess I was not expecting that high a concentration of ticks.

Hmmm. Scientifically, the key seems to be longer hikes! Go out more; you'll apparently get bitten less.

:)

May be just the year. Lotta mice again over this weak Winter doesn't help (tick nymphs start with mice mostly here...).

My neighbor yanked 12 off him just mowing his lawn last weekend.

All my outdoor/work clothes are permethrin treated, and the only way I'll step onto grass anymore.

We're noticing that areas with a lot of barberry seem to have the most ticks.

Tick problem? Need more Possums. :D

Guinea Fowl too. :)

I have four chicken hens that free-range, and I use ortho in my yard. Ticks are not a problem, but I have found hot spots of them while geocaching. Come to think about it, there were lots of coyote sign, which would mean few to none possums living in the area.

Another thing that I have noticed this season was a deer tick or some smaller tick that did not look common, and a neighbor also found one.

Fair enough. (Just yanking your chain.)

I've been hearing a lot about how this year will be especially bad for ticks given that winter wasn't that cold. I've been doing pretty well as far as escaping ticks, knock on wood. But my daughter got one just from playing in the grass right near our house.

I walked 20' off the trail the find a cache and picked up three ticks while doing so. One was crawling across my face on the drive home.

Sorry im grumpy lately.

1. Nanos hidden in places where bigger caches could easily go.

2. Nanos hidden in uninteresting or boring locations. This game is all about creativity and I find so many nanos on benches or nanos near telephone poles. Woopty yay....thanks for brining me here, i guess.

3. Caches hidden in relatively BAD places. Don't make me stumble through homeless encampments and drug dens in the forest to find your film canister. Also i bring my kid....don't make us perilously dance on a median strip on a busy road looking for stuff.

4. I am not a fan of climbing trees to get caches.

5. Ivy hides are still the worst.

Sorry im grumpy lately.

1. Nanos hidden in places where bigger caches could easily go. +1

2. Nanos hidden in uninteresting or boring locations. This game is all about creativity and I find so many nanos on benches or nanos near telephone poles. Woopty yay....thanks for brining me here, i guess. +1 for the nano part.... being very short of caches close to home now, we'll take what we can get!!

3. Caches hidden in relatively BAD places. Don't make me stumble through homeless encampments and drug dens in the forest to find your film canister. Also i bring my kid....don't make us perilously dance on a median strip on a busy road looking for stuff. +1

4. I am not a fan of climbing trees to get caches. OK, as long as it is attributed

5. Ivy hides are still the worst. we don't have ivy.....

JUNK!

My four year old son and I have taken up this AMAZING hobby in the last few months and i am more than excited! We have a jar in the car for our treasures and have gone so far as to order amazing treasures to leave/trade. For him, trading a bouncy ball for another bouncy ball is the best part! However, lately, it's been JUNK, mini gift bags? An ammo box with nothing but a log and no pen??!! I'm planning to hide soon, as i want a little more experience, and i will feel obligated to maintain an optimum treasure hunting experience! (For the sake of the littles out there!!)

Im sorry in advance if this has already been stated or is in bad geocaching taste.

Thanks for

Cash&(his)mom.

JUNK!

My four year old son and I have taken up this AMAZING hobby in the last few months and i am more than excited! We have a jar in the car for our treasures and have gone so far as to order amazing treasures to leave/trade. For him, trading a bouncy ball for another bouncy ball is the best part! However, lately, it's been JUNK, mini gift bags? An ammo box with nothing but a log and no pen??!! I'm planning to hide soon, as i want a little more experience, and i will feel obligated to maintain an optimum treasure hunting experience! (For the sake of the littles out there!!)

Im sorry in advance if this has already been stated or is in bad geocaching taste.

Thanks for

Cash&(his)mom.

Been stated numerous times, but bad taste? This is the "Irk" thread. :D

Feeling "obligated" to maintain caches when others just take, take, take though, may prove an awakening for you. :)

We've yet to find our ammo cans with anything close (in item numbers) to what we put in them, much less equal or "greater than" value.

Heck, they take the pencils and the sharpeners for them too.

- Probably why you're finding ammo cans without...

JUNK!

Thanks for

Cash&(his)mom.

Swag is important to some cachers, and unimportant to others. Due to ongoing complaints and criticisms about swag, we no longer participate in swag at all and keep our caches entirely clear of trade items.

JUNK!

Thanks for

Cash&(his)mom.

+1

When I started reading the last few months of this thread, I never imagined that I would suddenly find several irksome things to rant about. I'll restrain myself a bit, and just register one.

I gave up counting the posts that had some variation of this statement:

I only log DNF's if...

'DNF' means exactly one thing: "Did Not Find". If you searched and didn't find then you should log a DNF.

That should be enough comment... but I'm all revved up now. B) so...

It doesn't matter what the excuse is. I've had DNFs in the woods where I didn't search a large enough area, or that the GPS had GZ more than a hundred feet away on that particular day on that particular mountain side. I've had them where "the force wasn't with me". I did that on a d1 cache once. Too many muggles around, construction made the approach too difficult, GZ appears to be destroyed, couldn't get the container open etc. are all good reasons to log a DNF, at least for the information it provides, and especially if you have a good story to tell. That way you have something to show for the effort. A good example would be the batch of DNFs I contributed to long ago when a good sized group couldn't get within two miles of the objective because the road was closed due to volcanic activity.

If DNFs tend to trigger an ill-conceived bot to flag a problem, then it's up to the cache owner to read the logs and decide from their contents if there really might be a problem.

When I started reading the last few months of this thread, I never imagined that I would suddenly find several irksome things to rant about. I'll restrain myself a bit, and just register one.

I gave up counting the posts that had some variation of this statement:

I only log DNF's if...

'DNF' means exactly one thing: "Did Not Find". If you searched and didn't find then you should log a DNF.

That should be enough comment... but I'm all revved up now. B) so...

It doesn't matter what the excuse is. I've had DNFs in the woods where I didn't search a large enough area, or that the GPS had GZ more than a hundred feet away on that particular day on that particular mountain side. I've had them where "the force wasn't with me". I did that on a d1 cache once. Too many muggles around, construction made the approach too difficult, GZ appears to be destroyed, couldn't get the container open etc. are all good reasons to log a DNF, at least for the information it provides, and especially if you have a good story to tell. That way you have something to show for the effort. A good example would be the batch of DNFs I contributed to long ago when a good sized group couldn't get within two miles of the objective because the road was closed due to volcanic activity.

If DNFs tend to trigger an ill-conceived bot to flag a problem, then it's up to the cache owner to read the logs and decide from their contents if there really might be a problem.

+ Many