What Irks you most?

Personally I only log DNF's if I have good reason to believe the cache is missing (been a year since it was last found, construction in the area, high muggle traffic, etc). If the difficulty rating is fairly high and I've only had time to search for a few minutes before moving on and someone found it a few days ago, logic tells me it is still there, I just need to search again. So I don't bother posting a DNF. Now if I've been back 5 or 6 times still with no luck, then I'll log it on the off chance it is missing so the CO can confirm whether I just overlooked something or it is indeed missing.

If I logged every DNF I encountered, I'd have CO's out constantly shaking their heads at me because I missed the obvious lol.

Now I'm starting to understand why HQ are sending out "your cache might need maintenance" emails when someone logs a DNF.

And I recall another reason I list PMO. :anibad:

Here's an irk from a cache owner...me. On a couple of my more difficult hides, a few finder's say in their log that it was their second time looking for the cache. Logic would demand their first log was a DNF. Nope. Never logged a DNF on their first time looking. What's up with that?? Irritating.

Personally I only log DNF's if I have good reason to believe the cache is missing (been a year since it was last found, construction in the area, high muggle traffic, etc). If the difficulty rating is fairly high and I've only had time to search for a few minutes before moving on and someone found it a few days ago, logic tells me it is still there, I just need to search again. So I don't bother posting a DNF. Now if I've been back 5 or 6 times still with no luck, then I'll log it on the off chance it is missing so the CO can confirm whether I just overlooked something or it is indeed missing.

If I logged every DNF I encountered, I'd have CO's out constantly shaking their heads at me because I missed the obvious lol.

Log a DNF and explain in your log how much effort you invested in the search. Let the CO decide from themselves the significance of your DNF.

Only times I log a DNF after not finding it is when I've been there several times and I don't see the point in logging more than 2 DNFs. Instead, I will log the first then, depending on how many subsequent attempts I make, will maybe log one more then, when I find it, just state the number of attempts I made. There have been a few caches I've searched for on four or five occasions before finding it and it's more just cache page clutter to log each DNF. It's not any sense of shame so much as just not filling up the page with unnecessary logs.

This is my approach exactly. To me, a DNF on the logs is a red flag, especially if the person who logged it is very experienced. It suggests to me that the find might be harder than I'd prefer and might keep me away. So if there's a cache that's almost certainly there, but I can't find it, I always fear that leaving a DNF will create a false impression for the next person. But to each their own.

This is my approach exactly. To me, a DNF on the logs is a red flag, especially if the person who logged it is very experienced. It suggests to me that the find might be harder than I'd prefer and might keep me away. So if there's a cache that's almost certainly there, but I can't find it, I always fear that leaving a DNF will create a false impression for the next person. But to each their own.

:)

We place DNF whenever we looked, but couldn't find a cache since we started.

Been playing a while now, and it's still a gag that I can't find anything smaller than a 30cal ammo can (and have missed quite a few "1.5/1.5s"). :laughing:

"Very experienced" cachers make simple errors too...

A DNF doesn't mean anything other than you didn't find it.

:)

We place DNF whenever we looked, but couldn't find a cache since we started.

Been playing a while now, and it's still a gag that I can't find anything smaller than a 30cal ammo can (and have missed quite a few "1.5/1.5s"). :laughing:

"Very experienced" cachers make simple errors too...

A DNF doesn't mean anything other than you didn't find it.

This is my process as well. And I never word the DNF to suggest that the cache is missing, only that I didn't find it. I try to include details about the conditions and extent of my search as well.

Saying nothing at all is how people get a false impression.

This is my process as well. And I never word the DNF to suggest that the cache is missing, only that I didn't find it. I try to include details about the conditions and extent of my search as well.

So funny. Perspective is everything. I go back through my old DNF's and it's cute to see how they've migrated over five years from the newbie "Must Be Missing" to "Might Be Missing" to "Hope it's not Missing" to "Man, I suck at this."

So funny. Perspective is everything. I go back through my old DNF's and it's cute to see how they've migrated over five years from the newbie "Must Be Missing" to "Might Be Missing" to "Hope it's not Missing" to "Man, I suck at this."

It's so true. My DNF process is based on experience. Many embarassing experiences, really. :laughing:

What would you consider a Deadly Sin in geocaching? What irks you most? I'm compiling a list for an event...

I have been geocaching for years but have not been able to hide any new geocaches because the reviewer says I must get permission to stick a magnet on a billboard post, or in a hole in a utility pole. When did geocaching get so mamby pamby?

What would you consider a Deadly Sin in geocaching? What irks you most? I'm compiling a list for an event...

I have been geocaching for years but have not been able to hide any new geocaches because the reviewer says I must get permission to stick a magnet on a billboard post, or in a hole in a utility pole. When did geocaching get so mamby pamby?

Couldn't resist. I had to see what caused you to post this. One archived caches had this log:

"I think this needs to be visited by owner. Big note written on pole saying not to be used for geocaching. owned by construction co."

Looks like it wasn't so much the geocaching site, but the construction site that got mamby pamby.

Edited by L0ne.R

I've been geocaching since 2005, and cache owners have been required to get permission from land owners for as long as I've been around.

The key is to report what happened and leave out any musings about what your experience might imply about the state of the cache.

Couldn't resist. I had to see what caused you to post this. One archived caches had this log:

"I think this needs to be visited by owner. Big note written on pole saying not to be used for geocaching. owned by construction co."

Looks like it's wasn't so much the geocaching site, but the construction site that got mamby pamby.

:D

There's been an upswing of cachers around my area, saying that "those new guidelines" are ruining their ideas for good hides.

Most guidelines haven't changed much since we started...

I know that our Reviewers take action on correction (if they bump into a cache not within guidelines), so I can only guess that the COs have just gotten away with it for years, and are simply getting caught more now. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Looks like it wasn't so much the geocaching site, but the construction site that got mamby pamby.

:laughing: I'm guessing that the local reviewer is aware of that and it has effected future listings from this CO being looked at a little closer now. :)

• Upvote 1

There's a lot of little annoyances about geocaching but I think the one thing that irks me the most is a blasé cache owner. Admittedly this is a catch-all for a lot of behavior; a "Needs Maintenance" flag that isn't addressed or cleared, a full log book that isn't replaced, a damaged cache container that isn't replaced, etc. I've found that Scout troops are particularly bad at this; apparently there's no requisite to continue to maintain your geocache after you've gotten your "Geocaching" badge so there's a ton of Scout-hidden caches out there in various states of disarray and the Scout(s) who hid it are nowhere to be found and non-responsive to emails and messages. I think the worst of the worst are the cache owners who are more concerned with their next hide than they are with their current hide. There's a cache owner near me who has about 25 hides but doesn't maintain them at all; leaking containers, waterlogged log books, the whole deal. I checked and the cache owner hadn't done any geocaching in a couple of years. Not expecting a response, I contacted her to ask if I could adopt them (several of them are in wonderful locations) and was surprised when she responded. After some back and forth I determined that she didn't want anyone adopting them, she had no plans to maintain any of them, and she had several additional caches that she planned on hiding soon. (That didn't happen as far as I know.)

Come to think of it, a very close second to the "irks me the most" title are people who trade crappy and/or inappropriate "trinkets". I'm really tired of finding religious pamphlets, business cards, plastic milk bottle caps, pieces of a toy (like, an arm from an action figure), and junk like that in caches. I also seem to find a lot of medical and personal hygiene stuff; band-aids, individual contact lens cleaners, half-used tubes of Chap-Stick, packets of OTC pain medication, condoms (sealed and unused, thankfully), cigarettes, etc. And what's the deal with people who think leaving disposable cigarette lighters in a geocache is a good idea? Oh yeah, and ACTUAL garbage too — candy wrappers, that little plastic tab that holds the bread bag closed, folded bits of tape, empty water bottles, etc. It's beyond disappointing to find a nice big cache container only to open it up and find a drowned log book, a couple of rusty coins, a soggy copy of the local trail map, a broken pencil, and a yo-yo without the string. Have some pride, people.

Edited by JessicasDaddy

There's a lot of little annoyances about geocaching but I think the one thing that irks me the most is a blasé cache owner. Admittedly this is a catch-all for a lot of behavior; a "Needs Maintenance" flag that isn't addressed or cleared, a full log book that isn't replaced, a damaged cache container that isn't replaced, etc. I've found that Scout troops are particularly bad at this; apparently there's no requisite to continue to maintain your geocache after you've gotten your "Geocaching" badge so there's a ton of Scout-hidden caches out there in various states of disarray and the Scout(s) who hid it are nowhere to be found and non-responsive to emails and messages. I think the worst of the worst are the cache owners who are more concerned with their next hide than they are with their current hide. There's a cache owner near me who has about 25 hides but doesn't maintain them at all; leaking containers, waterlogged log books, the whole deal. I checked and the cache owner hadn't done any geocaching in a couple of years. Not expecting a response, I contacted her to ask if I could adopt them (several of them are in wonderful locations) and was surprised when she responded. After some back and forth I determined that she didn't want anyone adopting them, she had no plans to maintain any of them, and she had several additional caches that she planned on hiding soon. (That didn't happen as far as I know.)

Come to think of it, a very close second to the "irks me the most" title are people who trade crappy and/or inappropriate "trinkets". I'm really tired of finding religious pamphlets, business cards, plastic milk bottle caps, pieces of a toy (like, an arm from an action figure), and junk like that in caches. I also seem to find a lot of medical and personal hygiene stuff; band-aids, individual contact lens cleaners, half-used tubes of Chap-Stick, packets of OTC pain medication, condoms (sealed and unused, thankfully), cigarettes, etc. And what's the deal with people who think leaving disposable cigarette lighters in a geocache is a good idea? Oh yeah, and ACTUAL garbage too — candy wrappers, that little plastic tab that holds the bread bag closed, folded bits of tape, empty water bottles, etc. It's beyond disappointing to find a nice big cache container only to open it up and find a drowned log book, a couple of rusty coins, a soggy copy of the local trail map, a broken pencil, and a yo-yo without the string. Have some pride, people.

First paragraph: if those caches have NM logs, then post NA. Let your local reviewer decide.

Second paragraph: there is a cache in my area with the theme "crap swag" that makes a game of one-upsmanship of who can place crappier swag in it. It turns an irk into a clever and fun hide.

Second paragraph: there is a cache in my area with the theme "crap swag" that makes a game of one-upsmanship of who can place crappier swag in it. It turns an irk into a clever and fun hide.

Sounds gross. I'm envisioning chewed gum. Used kleenex. Maybe actual crappy swag as in used toilet paper.

Edited by L0ne.R

Sounds gross. I'm envisioning chewed gum. Used kleenex. Maybe actual crappy swag as in used toilet paper.

+1

Where a used chapstick is uninspiring...

I'm envisioning the opening of a container by all those posters who say they don't read cache pages. :laughing:

It irks me that all the London tube and train stations have been removed from the GC map.

"the"

Remember, GC offers multiple maps. Use Thunderforest Transport (under the Leaflet misnomer if using the website maps, also available in certain phone caching apps). This map is brilliant in big cities like London.

Also, some other variants of OSM, such as this offline map in Locus, show stations. That red dot was a key ingredient for a great caching day.

7236e4a9-ee59-4dc4-8eca-a89df0b56dcb_l.jpg

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I try to fix irks.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

One of my peeves is cache hints that state "I'm not giving a hint" or something similar. The cache page automatically tells you if there's no hint, so in my opinion this is rubbing it in. Likewise, I dislike hints that describe how well-hidden or clever the cache is. My opinion is, how clever or well done a cache is should be determined by the people who find it. Anything else comes across as bragging.

One of my peeves is cache hints that state "I'm not giving a hint" or something similar. The cache page automatically tells you if there's no hint, so in my opinion this is rubbing it in. Likewise, I dislike hints that describe how well-hidden or clever the cache is. My opinion is, how clever or well done a cache is should be determined by the people who find it. Anything else comes across as bragging.

Sometimes hints like that are cryptic clues.

Sometimes hints like that are cryptic clues.

I don't have any issue with cryptic clues. It's useless hints that bug me. Like this one on a recent find (with a secret agent theme):

No true secret agent needs a hint for this one.

I didn't need the hint to figure out what I needed to do on that cache. But if I did, this would not have helped at all. Or, depending on my frustration level, it may have helped me utter a choice expletive directed toward the cache owner and then helped me look for the next cache in the GPSr.

Things that irk me most:

1) When people sign up, hide a cache despite never having found one in their lives, and then never log onto the site ever again.

2) Cachers who see caches that have disappeared and are about to be archived and log them as found (It's all about the numbers!)

3) People who avoid looking for caches that have 1 DNF log. At least give it a go, if there's a second DNF log the owner might check on it. Don't just avoid it and log all the other ones within a mile that you knew were there!

4) When I get back home from a day's caching and realise I forgot to put one of the caches on the trail on my GPS. But hey, it gives me an excuse to go back :)

Edited by markoCR

Lately I'm irked because the game seems to be stagnating.

The site / app are not the game. Rules have come in, cache types have gone out.

I still hide caches to take people new and interesting places and I still am lured to new and interesting places by caches.

But we seem to hitting a plateau.

Pretty much ALL swag is crappy, in my opinion. Particularly here in the humid south in an older cache. The swag game is perhaps the most overrated part of geocaching.

I agree.

Back a couple years I placed two Large caches loaded with pint glasses from various breweries, promotional t-shirts, coasters, bottle openers, hats, etc. I was well connected to a distributor. One of those caches is largely cleaned out, by recent reports. I should do some more emptying of the cupboards. :D

Lately I'm irked because the game seems to be stagnating.

I don't think the game is stagnating at all. What makes you say that? Since I've been involved in this game (which hasn't been very long) I've noticed a lot more less creative caches in a lot of less creative hiding spots. There are a few Geocachers in my area that come up with some very creative caches and hide them very well but that is far and few between. Honestly, I love those types of caches, and when I can't find them I reach out to other cachers to see if I can get hints, etc and go back to get them. But I'm all about the numbers. I love power trails and long stretches of caches to find just to boost my numbers. And my average D/T shows that.

In the end it's just a game of people running around dropping garbage into the woods and another group of people running around finding said garbage and picking out little pieces of garbage to take home (in the American language these are called "knick knacks"), and then another group of people setting up events called CITOs to clean up the environment and claiming other people are so messy and damaging the environment with all the garbage they throw on the ground.

I don't think the game is stagnating at all. What makes you say that? Since I've been involved in this game (which hasn't been very long) I've noticed a lot more less creative caches in a lot of less creative hiding spots. There are a few Geocachers in my area that come up with some very creative caches and hide them very well but that is far and few between. Honestly, I love those types of caches, and when I can't find them I reach out to other cachers to see if I can get hints, etc and go back to get them. But I'm all about the numbers. I love power trails and long stretches of caches to find just to boost my numbers. And my average D/T shows that.

In the end it's just a game of people running around dropping garbage into the woods and another group of people running around finding said garbage and picking out little pieces of garbage to take home (in the American language these are called "knick knacks"), and then another group of people setting up events called CITOs to clean up the environment and claiming other people are so messy and damaging the environment with all the garbage they throw on the ground.

It used to be a game of getting outdoors, but it stagnated into a game of low quality containers and powertrails, just for the numbers stuff.

Geocaching used to be about so much more than it's just about the numbers. :( It irks me as to what geocaching became. It's just not the same anymore. :(

Pretty much ALL swag is crappy, in my opinion. Particularly here in the humid south in an older cache. The swag game is perhaps the most overrated part of geocaching.

I agree.

Back a couple years I placed two Large caches loaded with pint glasses from various breweries, promotional t-shirts, coasters, bottle openers, hats, etc. I was well connected to a distributor. One of those caches is largely cleaned out, by recent reports. I should do some more emptying of the cupboards. :D

I'm not in your area but thank you for contributing to the game. I'm sure you made it a little more fun for a lot of people.

It used to be a game of getting outdoors, but it stagnated into a game of low quality containers and powertrails, just for the numbers stuff.

Geocaching used to be about so much more than it's just about the numbers. :( It irks me as to what geocaching became. It's just not the same anymore. :(

It still is a game of getting outdoors unless you're trying to find caches in your kitchen.

It still is a game of getting outdoors unless you're trying to find caches in your kitchen.

Or drive and stop every 528 feet for a pill bottle on a guardrail. :laughing: Gotta love those PT's, one can really rack up on the numbers quickley. B)

I'm really new to GC, but I'm really tired of finding trash in caches...

I don't know if this is what people consider "swag," but going to your car and finding whatever garbage you can to stuff into someone's cache is not okay. I'm sick of opening a large cache and finding just CRAP in there. If you don't have anything decent to leave, don't leave or take anything. I know as a community we're not asking for diamonds or rubies, but I think it's incredibly disrespectful to leave junk in there. And I'm not talking about these that are cheap or low quality. I'm talking legitimate garbage...

Do CO ever clean these out? I'm just curious...

I don't know if this is what people consider "swag," but going to your car and finding whatever garbage you can to stuff into someone's cache is not okay. I'm sick of opening a large cache and finding just CRAP in there. If you don't have anything decent to leave, don't leave or take anything. I know as a community we're not asking for diamonds or rubies, but I think it's incredibly disrespectful to leave junk in there. And I'm not talking about these that are cheap or low quality. I'm talking legitimate garbage...

I do. :) Clean out and then restock usually once a year.

I've found that if the container contains clean, not broken swag, the contents generally stay in good shape for months (assuming it's a good watertight container). I've often brought a bag of swag plus paper towel to clean out debris, but haven't needed either.

But generally I would say most caches are set-em-and-forget em style caches. The owners never go back to check and maintain them.

If you feel like it, you could clean out a cache of the junk. I do from time to time if I have a doggy bag on me--highly recommended, they squeezed down to almost nothing in your pocket and can hold about a pint of junky swag. But I only do it for cache containers that are in good shape and are keeping the contents dry. Caches that are in bad shape because the container is broken or not appropriate for outdoor use get an NM log.

Do CO ever clean these out? I'm just curious..

It depends. I do not leave any swag in my own caches and if someone puts in say a business card and I happen to visit my cache I remove the business card.

I do not schedule visits to care about what might be in the container other than what has been intended by me (log book, pencil, stash note, maybe trackables) if it does not cause any

danger for the cache.

When I had traditional caches, I would drop by once a year or so. I'd clean out the trash (expired coupons, expired bus passes, receipts, wrappers) and sometimes leave a few trinkets. That doesn't seem to be an issue with my mystery/puzzle cache though. And it isn't applicable to the EarthCache.

I've found that if the container contains clean, not broken swag, the contents generally stay in good shape for months (assuming it's a good watertight container). I've often brought a bag of swag plus paper towel to clean out debris, but haven't needed either.

But generally I would say most caches are set-em-and-forget em style caches. The owners never go back to check and maintain them.

If you feel like it, you could clean out a cache of the junk. I do from time to time if I have a doggy bag on me--highly recommended, they squeezed down to almost nothing in your pocket and can hold about a pint of junky swag. But I only do it for cache containers that are in good shape and are keeping the contents dry. Caches that are in bad shape because the container is broken or not appropriate for outdoor use get an NM log.

Sometimes I'm tempted to clean out the junk, but I don't... I don't want to cross a line, but sometimes I think, "No one is going to miss the bottle cap and the candy wrapper if I remove them." I always carry a grocery bag in my backpack, though. Several times I've gone to a cache sight and there's garbage AROUND the cache, so I try to pick that up so the area stays clean and beautiful for the next person looking for the cache.

I now remove all swag when I check my caches, garbage or not. I don't want my caches being used for that element of the game. I can't stop people from leaving stuff, but I can get rid of it when they do.

I now remove all swag when I check my caches, garbage or not. I don't want my caches being used for that element of the game. I can't stop people from leaving stuff, but I can get rid of it when they do.

Party pooper. bad_boy_animated.gif

I've visited caches, not many around where I live, which seem to become repositories of business cards and advertising. Honestly. Yeah, I CITO that stuff from my caches.

Party pooper. bad_boy_animated.gif

The party poopers are all the cachers who spent years complaining about swag. Since nothing is ever good enough, nothing it is.

When we first started 5 years ago I was under the impression that a reviewer, on seeing a (non) hint "No need for a Hint" or words to that effect, would ask the CO to delete it. Does this still happen, did it ever happen?

We can ask (I still do), but we are not required to ask. And, a suggestion to remove a useless hint is not grounds for holding up publication of a cache that otherwise meets all the listing guidelines.

Sorry you're irked. I'm irked, too. I write lots of notes for issues like this one, which many cache owners ignore.

Or drive and stop every 528 feet for a pill bottle on a guardrail. :laughing: Gotta love those PT's, one can really rack up on the numbers quickley. B)

Whoever drives to find a cache every 528 feet is doing it wrong.

I've never been on a busy highway caching every 528 feet.

I've never driven to caches that have been placed every 528 feet.

The PT I hit are on lengthy trails that some times go deep into forest areas or along large bodies of water. And I'm out there all day walking and I find maybe 20-25 in 6 hours. These scenic trails can be found all over Washington and Oregon.

The PT I hit are on lengthy trails that some times go deep into forest areas or along large bodies of water. And I'm out there all day walking and I find maybe 20-25 in 6 hours. These scenic trails can be found all over Washington and Oregon.

Go look online for PowerTrail videos and the practice of 'Leapfrogging'.

Here, this is what a PowerTrail of geocaches is. :)