What Irks you most?

4. Poor Swag traders! Kind of goes back to #1. Muggles tend to be the worst about understanding about swag and trading but then I've had Premium members who have left items such as spoons, lug nuts, a washer, and even a used sticker off their kids shirt after school! (Yes, that actually happend then they got mad at me for calling them out on something so lame.)
Oooh! I'd love to find one of Iron Chef's spoons. I'd trade for that in a heartbeat!

What I dislike the most (apart from poor quality chaches 30m off the cords with inadequate attributes and hint) is mixing tree climbing caches into hiking series, where the tree cache usually contains information for the bonus cache for completing the trail. It's like saying "We invite you to take walk through (insert a nice place here), but [removed] f you don't do tree climbing". To be clear - I don't have anything against T5 series where the entire trail is for climbers.

Edited by TheVoytekBear
Removed potty language

What I dislike the most (apart from poor quality chaches 30m off the cords with inadequate attributes and hint) is mixing tree climbing caches into hiking series, where the tree cache usually contains information for the bonus chage for completing the trail. It's like saying "We invite you to take walk through (insert a nice place here), but [removed] f you don't do tree climbing". To be clear - I don't have anything against T5 series where the entire trail is for climbers.

It kinda depends. If it's a 5 terrain, then i already expect to encounter much difficulty. I suppose i might get a bit irritated if the cache page purposely led me to believe one thing but then the actual quest surprised me with something totally unexpected that i had no idea to prepare for.

re the official geocaching paid for app:

When we go out to maintain our 90+ geocaches and the ones that NEED maintaining don't show up because they have been disabled because they need maintaining and when we do find them there there is no option to add OWNER MAINTENANCE we have to WRITE NOTE

So its quite hard to keep track of what we have done

re the official geocaching paid for app:

When we go out to maintain our 90+ geocaches and the ones that NEED maintaining don't show up because they have been disabled because they need maintaining and when we do find them there there is no option to add OWNER MAINTENANCE we have to WRITE NOTE

So its quite hard to keep track of what we have done

I find it simply ludicrous that the Geocaching app, which is supposed to be the "official" geocaching app, still doesn't have some of the most basic functions that those evil 3rd party site scraping apps have. With how hard Groundspeak has pushed to move their business model into the realm of smartphone caching, their app is laughably incomplete. Yes, you can't post OM logs, or NM logs, or NA logs (or anything beyond Find, DNF or Write Note). Yes, you can't log trackables with it. Yes, you cannot post Field Notes with it. Yes, the map loads interminably slow. But, that Message Center works beautifully, doesn't it?

My biggest complaint (besides the fact I paid for the app years ago and now the "free" one is available with all the "stuff" the paid app had. Would have been nice to be given a "credit" for those of us that paid for the app!! But I digress.....) Where can you add a "Favorite Point"?? Either this is not available or it's hidden within the app and I have yet to find it. Also, I like to leave a more detailed adventure comment in my logs. You used to be able to save the cache notes Off line, then go back in and edit before posting the log. Why can't this feature be there again???

How about these fixes with the app?? 1) Favorite Points and 2)Off Line logs.

Did a series of caches listed as 'small'. Most were centrifuge tubes. Sorry. Those are micros! One was listed as being in a pine tree, at eye level. It was in a fir tree, three feet off the ground, with the coords 45' off! Sorry. Not all evergreens are pines.

I suspect the cacher used the term "pine tree" as a generic term for the exact coniferous tree it actually was. Do we need to be botanists now to log a cache?

Did a series of caches listed as 'small'. Most were centrifuge tubes. Sorry. Those are micros! One was listed as being in a pine tree, at eye level. It was in a fir tree, three feet off the ground, with the coords 45' off! Sorry. Not all evergreens are pines.

Micros listed as smalls irk me a lot, as do centrifuge tubes, especially when hidden in the bush where an ammo tin would be easy to hide......

I suspect the cacher used the term "pine tree" as a generic term for the exact coniferous tree it actually was. Do we need to be botanists now to log a cache?

A pine tree is an evergreen. A fir is an evergreen. But a pine tree is not a fir. Using the term evergreen is certainly generic. Pine tree, no. I don't have to be a botanist to know that. Also agree, it's a bit irritating when a cache description shows small but the container turns out to be micro. Information a CO puts in his cache description or hint should be somewhat accurate.

A pine tree is an evergreen. A fir is an evergreen. But a pine tree is not a fir.

Not disagreeing with this.. I have a Colorado Blue Spruce in my back yard and we often call it "the pine tree".

Using the term evergreen is certainly generic. Pine tree, no. I don't have to be a botanist to know that.

This is what I am commenting about. EVERYONE, even the botanist, knew the meaning. These words games and hair splitting on a topic that isn't life altering feels like debating with my 12 year old. Some people are just dying to score points over the lamest issues.

Not disagreeing with this.. I have a Colorado Blue Spruce in my back yard and we often call it "the pine tree".
Yeah, and sometimes that "maple tree" is really a sycamore, but if you look for the leaves that look more-or-less like the one on the Canadian flag...

On the flip side, I've seen hints that used the scientific names for plants. I know a few people who would find such hints useful without Googling it, but not many.

On the flip side, I've seen hints that used the scientific names for plants. I know a few people who would find such hints useful without Googling it, but not many.

I've seen the hint "salix" so often I don't have to look it up again :ph34r:

I like to learn stuff when caching, I also like quizzes on TV with more difficult questions/subjects. That's why I like mystery caches so much, I guess.

Cache owners who post an Owner Maintenance log to say the cache is gone and they will replace it.

46.png Owner Maintenance

Checked and cache was missing, looking for a new container, will replace in a week.

Do you mean because they should Temporarily Disable instead? If so, agreed. Still, I appreciate when a cache is gone that there is evidence of awareness from the CO and an estimate of replacement time.

I get irked when cachers take all the swag and leave caches completely empty. Granted I usually don't want anything, but I still like to rummage through it

Yeah...

If trading was still going on, there should be something there.

Not sure when "took a poncho, left two koosh balls" logs stopped, but I believe when it in some odd way became the "norm" to write TFTC on most logs, and little else, it turned out perfect for those who wanted to just take instead of trade.

Cache owners who post an Owner Maintenance log to say the cache is gone and they will replace it.

46.png Owner Maintenance

Checked and cache was missing, looking for a new container, will replace in a week.

Do you mean because they should Temporarily Disable instead? If so, agreed. Still, I appreciate when a cache is gone that there is evidence of awareness from the CO and an estimate of replacement time.

If I had a nickel for each time I read that a CO stated he was gonna replace it within any stated time period, and it happened, I might have a couple nickels. :)

46.png Owner Maintenance

If I had a nickel for each time I read that a CO stated he was gonna replace it within any stated time period, and it happened, I might have a couple nickels. :)

Ha, gotcha. Yes, I help out a CO and we have had to replace a few, and always leave a Disabled note, though it sometimes takes longer than we had estimated. It's hard to drive three hours RT in crappy traffic to get to some of 'em, and they are good containers/toys that have to be mail-ordered first. But point taken.

OM means the owner has done maintenance. From the log, it's clear that's exactly the opposite of what should be posted. Disabling makes sense, although I'd be happy with an NM since the log is saying the cache needs maintenance. But it's dead wrong to clear the maintenance flag with an OM since the cache still needs maintenance.

So I agree with L0ne.R simply because OM is just wrong and illogical, so I'm making an observation, not an argument, when I mention that my experience agrees with cerberus1: I'm not sure I've ever seen a CO post a predictive OM and then actually follow through by doing the maintenance in the time frame specified.

Cryptic actions.

"Owner Maintenance" when they could've added "Needed"

"Needs Archived" when they could've inserted "to be".

You're supposed to KNOW what the short versions mean. (It's still a power-user website in a short-attention-span app world.)

Another: "Discovered". Long story.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

A pine tree is an evergreen. A fir is an evergreen. But a pine tree is not a fir.

Using the term evergreen is certainly generic. Pine tree, no. I don't have to be a botanist to know that.

This is what I am commenting about. EVERYONE, even the botanist, knew the meaning. These words games and hair splitting on a topic that isn't life altering feels like debating with my 12 year old. Some people are just dying to score points over the lamest issues.

No hair splitting. There is a distinct, very noticeable difference in these two species of trees. If, for example, a cache's hint states pine tree, then i would expect to find the cache in a pine tree. Unless i came up empty, i wouldn't even consider searching a fir that might also be in the area. Sorry but i just don't think it's lame to expect a cache page's write up to be somewhat accurate.

I'm thinking this may be a regional thing. Down here, no one would ever see a fir tree and call it a pine.

No hair splitting. There is a distinct, very noticeable difference in these two species of trees. If, for example, a cache's hint states pine tree, then i would expect to find the cache in a pine tree. Unless i came up empty, i wouldn't even consider searching a fir that might also be in the area. Sorry but i just don't think it's lame to expect a cache page's write up to be somewhat accurate.

I'm thinking this may be a regional thing. Down here, no one would ever see a fir tree and call it a pine.

I flew recently and the pilot announced that an area we were flying over was "having some weather." Uh, yeah, most places have weather. Even the meteorologists knew he meant rain, but did it irk me? You bet it did! When I pay for a flight, I expect precision from the pilot, not chatter more appropriate for mint-julep-sipping folks in Adirondack chairs with nothing to do!

Whew! I feel better now! :D

Oh, and blue spruce = pine??? Don't get me started!

I flew recently and the pilot announced that an area we were flying over was "having some weather." Uh, yeah, most places have weather. Even the meteorologists knew he meant rain, but did it irk me? You bet it did! When I pay for a flight, I expect precision from the pilot, not chatter more appropriate for mint-julep-sipping folks in Adirondack chairs with nothing to do[/img]

Maybe the meteorologist understood.I did not. Because it is an expression that people that do not have English as their first language are not familiar with.And maybe even British English is different in this aspect as American English.Same as for using pine for every "needle-tree" . But glad YOU are feeling better, although you did not make a point. mm I hope I use this expression in the right way

Edited by albertinereiziger

I flew recently and the pilot announced that an area we were flying over was "having some weather." Uh, yeah, most places have weather. Even the meteorologists knew he meant rain, but did it irk me? You bet it did! When I pay for a flight, I expect precision from the pilot, not chatter more appropriate for mint-julep-sipping folks in Adirondack chairs with nothing to do[/img]

Maybe the meteorologist understood.I did not. Because it is an expression that people that do not have English as their first language are not familiar with.And maybe even British English is different in this aspect as American English.Same as for using pine for every "needle-tree" . But glad YOU are feeling better, although you did not make a point. mm I hope I use this expression in the right way

I totally agree that the colloquialism about an area "having weather" is something the pilot shouldn't have said. That's why it irked me. It's quaint in a bad way, probably archaic, and maybe regional (southern US?). It's not even standard informal US English. Given the number of international travelers, it was a bad choice of words.

Tech tip: use the word 'quote' instead of 'img' and the quotes will display correctly.

I flew recently and the pilot announced that an area we were flying over was "having some weather." Uh, yeah, most places have weather. Even the meteorologists knew he meant rain, but did it irk me? You bet it did! When I pay for a flight, I expect precision from the pilot, not chatter more appropriate for mint-julep-sipping folks in Adirondack chairs with nothing to do!

This is a silly debate. :blink:

But trust me, i do know what you're saying. We all use generic terminology to describe things around us. Evidently, people from different areas categorize firs, spruce, pines, etc,,, into one group and call them all pine trees. May be fine in some areas but people down here would think, uh, that's not a pine tree.

I totally agree that the colloquialism about an area "having weather" is something the pilot shouldn't have said. That's why it irked me. It's quaint in a bad way, probably archaic, and maybe regional (southern US?). It's not even standard informal US English. Given the number of international travelers, it was a bad choice of words.

Interesting. So it's unique to English to use phrases liking "having issues" to mean "having really, really bad issues" when it's obvious from context that having any kind of uninteresting issues would not be worth mentioning? I mean, come on, you seem to be complaining specifically because it was really obvious what the pilot meant even though it wasn't exactly what he said. We do that kind of thing in English all the time. I always assumed that was common in all languages.

Trying to find a few good caches to find on a trip to Niagara. Filtered for regular and large caches. Ooooo, nice a regular size cache, 30 favourite points.

Checked the gallery and some current logs. It was a large tub twist top container back in 2004. Lid broke and mice moved in to the container sometime in 2013. An NM posted in 2013 followed by an OM the next week that said "Will replace the container shortly." He never did. He's still active but based on his caching history he moved about a 7 hour drive away. Someone placed the pill bottle throw down in 2014. People are giving the pill bottle throw down favourite points, I suspect because it's a 2004 cache, and maybe because it's under a rocky overhang.

It's so hard to find a all-round good cache anymore. Filtering for favourites isn't working. We're back to hours of reading logs and looking at photo galleries to try to find a few good ones.

Edited by L0ne.R

Coincidentally, I've spent a bit of time in the last couple of days sitting in an Adirondack chair surrounded by pine trees (in the Adirondacks) but drinking an Ommegang Rosetta (a limited edition beer I picked up at the brewery). There are other things I could be doing, but I rather enjoyed the option of doing nothing.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Coincidentally, I've spent a bit of time in the last couple of days sitting in an Adirondack chair surrounded by pine trees (in the Adirondacks) but drinking an Ommegang Rosetta (a limited edition beer I picked up at the brewery). There are other things I could be doing, but I rather enjoyed the option of doing nothing.

You wouldn't be pulling our leg now, would ya? Are they really good ole pine trees or something else,,, like firs? :P:lol::laughing:

Oh and, wmpastor, Down here blue spruce = Christmas Tree! :D

Edited by Mudfrog

Lately I've been noticing more of these long, copy-paste logs where someone has power-cached their way through an area. The logs are identical for each cache.

That's tiresome in and of itself, but that's not what irks me.

What irks me is that included in the log is a sentence that says "The cache was in good shape and the log was dry."

This is copied into the log on every cache, including Earthcaches, and caches that have maintenance issues noted by other cachers.

The first time I noticed this, I figured it was just something that got copied from the first find and was never edited, but I keep seeing it happening.

This is copied into the log on every cache,....

Irritates me too.... I will admit to copy/paste logs, but only partially, I would normally write a few sentences about the day in general, then append a few sentences unique to each find. Otherwise I'd forget what the cache was like too....

I especially dislike the 'Thanks to all the cache owners' cut/paste - at least thank each CO separately.....

This is copied into the log on every cache,....

Irritates me too.... I will admit to copy/paste logs, but only partially, I would normally write a few sentences about the day in general, then append a few sentences unique to each find. Otherwise I'd forget what the cache was like too....

I especially dislike the 'Thanks to all the cache owners' cut/paste - at least thank each CO separately.....

Yeah, like I said, this habit it, in and of itself, kind of bleh, but why include a note about the condition of the cache in a log that's being pasted into 285736 cache logs?

I have a theory about why this kind of subterfuge might be an overall benefit to power geocachers, but I'll keep it under my tinfoil hat for now. Fodder for my fan club another day. ;)

Happened today! I got a notification this morning that a new cache had been published 13 hours ago. It was an east one 1.0/1.0 so I figured I'd stop by on my way to work (6:30am) and try to get my very first FTF! I spent half an hour looking and couldn't find the thing. I had to go to work. I texted my friend and sent her over because I thought, if I didn't get the FTF, maybe she could get her first instead. She went over at about 11am and spent an hour looking. She even enlisted a bunch of older gentlemen from the senior center. She couldn't find it. I went back after work at 4:30pm.

What do you know...plain as day, a huge cache container at the location and someone had already found it. It was definitely NOT there when I went in the morning. I'm assuming the CO held off on putting the cache out until it was published so her kid or another person could get the FTF?????

I'm assuming the CO held off on putting the cache out until it was published so her kid or another person could get the FTF?????
I'm assuming the CO didn't realize that the container should be in place before the listing is submitted.

+1

Account opened just a couple days ago, first cache hidden by a girl scout troop.

Yep, my guess too.

Account opened just a couple days ago, first cache hidden by a girl scout troop.

Yep, my guess too.

One of the recent girl scout troop hides around here..... altered to protect the innocent.... :)

coords.jpg

And was found before the coords were changed due to the hint and description. Just a little local knowledge coming into plaY.

Oh and, wmpastor, Down here blue spruce = Christmas Tree! :D

I talked with a guy who runs a plant nursery (closed in winter). When they returned, they saw that a thief had come in with a chainsaw and taken a blue spruce.

As he put it, "Someone got a $600 Christmas tree." :yikes:

I'm assuming the CO held off on putting the cache out until it was published so her kid or another person could get the FTF?????
I'm assuming the CO didn't realize that the container should be in place before the listing is submitted.

+1

Yep, my guess too.

Yeah, I would assume it was just a mistake and not malevolence. Scout/Guide troops are universally notorious for earnest cache placement bloopers.

+1

Yep, my guess too.

Yeah, I would assume it was just a mistake and not malevolence. Scout/Guide troops are universally notorious for earnest cache placement bloopers.

I'm breathing easier... I've accepted that you are probably correct that it was an honest error. I do wish the CO would've at least responded to the messages my cache buddy sent to ask if the cache was out, then later to ask to be notified when it was placed officially.

Caches listed & published before the container is placed at GZ.

I do believe the rules say that you have to have it placed before applying for it.

Yes, but sometimes people overlook that rule. It's usually just a mistake. Sometimes this game requires a certain degree of forgiveness, especially among those who play the FTF side game.