What Irks you most?

Hints that aren't hints.

Don't you love these hints when out in the woods and the hint says: "behind a tree". All you have to then is find a tree B)

Sometimes the hint makes sense after the cache/WP is found and some hints never make sense. Doesn't bother me at all.

Idunno, I think "behind a tree" can be a pretty darn good hint. Narrows the search area down quite a bit... I've found plenty of caches in the woods that are under a fallen or hidden under a geopile with no other landmarks or under rotted remains, etc. Knowing that you can limit your search to the trees can save a ton of time.

My point though is not so much about confusing hints, but about people who write something in the "hint" section that is not (and was never intended) to be a hint. I've found plenty of caches where the hint made no sense until somebody explained it to me, but for most of those at least there was some sort of rationale behind it. But what's the point of putting something in the "hint" section if you know it has no relationship whatsoever to the hide.

I've also seen some hints on older caches that just say something like "sorry, no hint", but the admins seem to have put a stop to that (requiring that the hint line just be left blank).

Sometimes a hint is just that...a hint. If it says "base of large pine tree" is bordering on spoiler. "Hint" implies a degree of vagueness. I have tried, on occasion, to use a play on language or a quote or some other such device as a hint. Maybe not everyone gets it...but not everyone is supposed to "get it". That's what makes it a hint and not a spoiler.

Sometimes a hint is just that...a hint. If it says "base of large pine tree" is bordering on spoiler. "Hint" implies a degree of vagueness. I have tried, on occasion, to use a play on language or a quote or some other such device as a hint. Maybe not everyone gets it...but not everyone is supposed to "get it". That's what makes it a hint and not a spoiler.

Maybe I'm just not being clear enough here, but again, I have no problem with vague hints or creative hints or hints that some people don't "get". I'm talking strictly about hints that are not even INTENDED to be hints and that have absolutely nothing to do with the hide in any way, shape or form.

I have a great appreciation for creative and obscure hints, and I use them myself sometimes. But I've seen some CO's who repeatedly use the "hint" section of the page as nothing more than a place to add random one-liners that are not in any way related to the cache.

Edited by ZeppelinDT

Maybe I'm just not being clear enough here, but again, I have no problem with vague hints or creative hints or hints that some people don't "get". I'm talking strictly about hints that are not even INTENDED to be hints and that have absolutely nothing to do with the hide in any way, shape or form.

I have a great appreciation for creative and obscure hints, and I use them myself sometimes. But I've seen some CO's who repeatedly use the "hint" section of the page as nothing more than a place to add random one-liners that are not in any way related to the cache.

Like the hints that say "you won't need one", because the hide is so easy? I guess such a statement could be a bit of a hint, but if the cache description already notes how easy the hide is then such a hint wouldn't be adding any information.

I believe what ZepplinDT is trying to say and isn't coming across is he does not like hints for Guardrail Hide #875645 where the guardrail is 10' long, there are no buildings, signs, other guardrails, or anything else except road for 5 miles where GZ is obviously the guardrail. But the CO likes the motto for an embalming school (not in the area either), "it is better to give than receive" so he sticks that in the hint. That sounds like it has something to do with the cache but it has nothing at all to do with it.

I believe what ZepplinDT is trying to say and isn't coming across is he does not like hints for Guardrail Hide #875645 where the guardrail is 10' long, there are no buildings, signs, other guardrails, or anything else except road for 5 miles where GZ is obviously the guardrail. But the CO likes the motto for an embalming school (not in the area either), "it is better to give than receive" so he sticks that in the hint. That sounds like it has something to do with the cache but it has nothing at all to do with it.

Exactly! Thank you!!

I will go with micro spew when in a forest I'm looking for a micro really

Save those creative hides for the city parks with mugell problems in the

Open areas give me size with creativity and stash for kids

Too add to your irk...

Micro spew in the forest (mostly pill bottles these days), that are listed as size small.

Even when I point out to the cache owner that a 50ml pill bottle is a micro not a small, and quote the guidelines, 95% COs leave the size as small (small = 100ml to 1L capacity). Grrrr.

Too many COs carry a sackfull of pill bottles and drop them everywhere - urban or in the woods, it doesn't matter.

Too many COs are in it for the smiley and think everyone else should be too. Selfish IMO.

For some reason, almost all of the PET preforms in my area, and many pill bottles, are listed as "small."

I guess I could try to cram some swag in there, but...

I chalk it up to the preconception most people have when you say "micro". Something that you can't completely close your hand around would not qualify as a "micro" anything to most people who aren't familiar with the standards outlined on the GC site.

For some reason, almost all of the PET preforms in my area, and many pill bottles, are listed as "small."

I chalk it up to the preconception most people have when you say "micro". Something that you can't completely close your hand around would not qualify as a "micro" anything to most people who aren't familiar with the standards outlined on the GC site.
I think it would help if there were an official nano size. As it is, newbies see blinkers, small Bison tubes, and other containers that have room for only a custom-fit log sheet, and they think a preform or a film canister is so much bigger that it must be the next size up.

Wouldn't it also be nice if there was consistency in the sizes from app to website. Micro on site = XS on app and Regular on site = Medium on app. I can see where players would be confused.

That's a good point.

Then I thought, well the information is on the submission form so why are people ignoring the size explanations when they submit a cache. Then I had a look. The information is not on the submission form.

All that's provided are 4 images. Here's a current screenshot:

914b2750-bc7e-4ce9-b1e5-3d3c8babf0a7.png

I'm certain that at some point in the submission form history there was a sliding scale that explained the sizes in more detail.

I wonder why Groundspeak decided to remove the more specific size information? There's not even a link to the size info in the Help Center:

Size chart

I think it would help if there were an official nano size. As it is, newbies see blinkers, small Bison tubes, and other containers that have room for only a custom-fit log sheet, and they think a preform or a film canister is so much bigger that it must be the next size up.

Quite the opposite, I think. I'd rather see "small" expanded to include film canisters than see "nano" get its own category. It seems like a good rule of thumb: If you can wrap it completely in your fist without seeing it, it's a micro. From there up to the size of two fists together is a small. Two fists up to the size of your head is a regular. More than that is a large.

Quite the opposite, I think. I'd rather see "small" expanded to include film canisters than see "nano" get its own category. It seems like a good rule of thumb: If you can wrap it completely in your fist without seeing it, it's a micro. From there up to the size of two fists together is a small. Two fists up to the size of your head is a regular. More than that is a large.

Sizes were determined by capacity to hold swag and trackables. It works really well when used appropriately.

I would prefer 2 categories - log-only and swag-size (the actual size of the swag size cache could be listed in the description or by attribute).

Quite the opposite, I think. I'd rather see "small" expanded to include film canisters than see "nano" get its own category.
Hmm... I see a qualitative difference between "small" and (non-nano) "micro". A small cache can hold normal (non-micro) geocoins, TB tags, Cachekinz, and the like. A micro cache can hold tiny trade items, but is too small for normal (non-micro) geocoins, TB tags, Cachekinz, and the like. And a nano cache can hold only its custom-fit log sheet.

It seems like a good rule of thumb: If you can wrap it completely in your fist without seeing it, it's a micro.
Ah, so film canisters ARE micros.

Hand sizes vary. Sandwich sizes vary. Head sizes vary. I'd rather have volume ranges. Which brings us to...

Sizes were determined by capacity to hold swag and trackables. It works really well when used appropriately.
There's a nice size list based on container capacity, but Groundspeak doesn't make it easy to find. It's on the Geocaching 101 page, but you have to click the "What does a geocache look like?" entry to see it:

micro.gif Micro - Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or a tiny storage box typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet.

small.gif Small - 100ml or larger, but less than 1L. Example: A sandwich-sized plastic container or similar.

regular.gif Regular - 1L or larger, but less than 20L. Examples: a plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox.

large.gif Large - 20L or larger. Example: A large bucket.

Quite the opposite, I think. I'd rather see "small" expanded to include film canisters than see "nano" get its own category.
Hmm... I see a qualitative difference between "small" and (non-nano) "micro". A small cache can hold normal (non-micro) geocoins, TB tags, Cachekinz, and the like. A micro cache can hold tiny trade items, but is too small for normal (non-micro) geocoins, TB tags, Cachekinz, and the like. And a nano cache can hold only its custom-fit log sheet.

So are you counting a bison tube as a "nano"?

No. Nano caches are a subset of micros and are not differentiated enough to earn their own category. Perhaps you can go by the "can only hold a rolled-up log sheet" rule for micros. Whatever...I was merely throwing out an idea that I'd rather see "small" category get expanded than to add a whole new category.

No. Nano caches are a subset of micros and are not differentiated enough to earn their own category. Perhaps you can go by the "can only hold a rolled-up log sheet" rule for micros. Whatever...I was merely throwing out an idea that I'd rather see "small" category get expanded than to add a whole new category.

You know, the differentiation between SMALL and MICRO doesn't matter to me.

I guess some people may want to filter out those little half-inch bullet-magnet things (I think the Brits call them 'blinkies?) but I don't care about that.

Can it hold swag or not? Don't care!

More than just a log? Don't care!

If you create too many distinctions, two thinigs happen:

•  
  • 1. People will get it wrong when they define it, or at least different than YOUR definition, which makes it 'wrong' to you, and
  • B. It becomes less challenging. Taken to a silly level: "I know by its category that I'm looking for a container that's between one and one-and-a-half inches long, green in color, camoflaged, hanging as opposed to covered, opens at the top, with only a one-sided log-roll inside", as opposed to what I'd prefer:

"What are we looking for?"

"No idea. It's somewhere right around here."

So, unless you want to stay away from those 'blinkies', does the category REALLY matter?

If you create too many distinctions, two thinigs happen:

And another thing, it's likely that a large proportion of the existing cache listings will not be updated to reflect the new category, which makes any update to the classification system mostly unusable when searching for caches.

Let's say a new "nano" category if added and cachers start excluding "nano" caches from their PQ's. They are still going to end up searching for a lot of nano-sized caches that are still listed as "micro" because CO's haven't updated their caches.

I'm fine with the current system. Knowing the size of the container helps with some searches, but I mostly feel like TRR most of the time ("I don't know what it is, but it's around here somewhere").

ETA: This same 'issue' of not updated cache listings will happen if new attributes are added to the mix (ie, PT attribute). There will always be some ambiguity in cache listings, so I prefer to be open to all cache types and not get too discouraged if the cache I search for turns out to be a 'lame hide' (however cachers want to define it).

Edited by noncentric

I will go with micro spew when in a forest I'm looking for a micro really

Save those creative hides for the city parks with mugell problems in the

Open areas give me size with creativity and stash for kids

Is this the kind of "micro spew" you find in forests? That doesn't seem so bad to me.

af251181-4b78-4d63-938c-b8bc06688354_l.jpg

8d6733e3-e195-4103-ad3b-f4ae695e1177_l.jpg

Edited by medoug

Ammo cans in the forest.

Well, not all ammo cans in all forests, but those caches where you hike along a forest path, passing identical bits of forest with nothing else to see, until you get to a random bit that looks like every other bit you have just walked past. Except that this bit has an ammo can. Then, having signed the log, you walk back along the path wondering why on earth they bothered putting a cache there. You don't hike 5Km. You hike the same 100m 50 times.

I'd rather have a nano on a crash barrier if there's a great view, than an ammo can in the forest with nothing to see.

Smaller Bison tubes seem to fit the definition: "A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet."

Smaller Bison tubes are generally less than 10ml, aren't they? And they can hold only a small logsheet, right?

Someone that has found over 10 thousand caches, but still hides lamp posts. I expect that from a newbie...but not an experienced geocacher.

On the one hand i want to say they probably enjoy them, if nobody logged finds on them they wouldn't get hidden.

On the other i want to say you don't get 10,000 finds chasing high rating caches.

It irks me that I can't (or don't know how) to filter to exclude caches by a certain member. They are always the same stupid nano ones - without any creativity. I don't want them showing up when I'm searching.

Go to their profile, look at their placed caches, open each one and click on "ignore".

2nd solution. If you use GSAK you can get their caches via API and then, also via API, put them all on your ignore list.

I stopped by to post about a peeve that seems to have been addressed recently -- namely, useless hints. I realize we all have different opinions about the subject, but in my opinion the purpose of a hint should be to get you a little bit closer to the cache than the GPS did. So if, for example, your GPS takes you to the parking lot of a donut shop and the hint is a clever reference to donuts, then what's the point? You got that far on your own!

Last weekend I had a DNF. GPS took me to a very small parking area surrounded by trees on one side and a lot of low brush on the other. A friend later indicated to me that the cache is on the ground amongst the brush. And yet, the "hint" for this cache was a thinly-disguised reference to the restaurant across the street.

I don't need my hints to be outright spoilers, but just tell me something I didn't already know, something that will assist me in some small way.

Edited by MysteryGuy1

The level of arguing/complaining/infighting that goes on within certain GC communities. I can't speak for other groups, but my own local group seems to just be filled with constant complaining about so many things. It feels like its getting worse all the time too (although that just may be my own biased perspective). Every day it's something new... somebody doesn't like the way a cache is hidden, somebody gets mad because they find a cache with bad coords, somebody complains that their hide didn't get approved, etc. Any time a new cacher makes the tiniest mistake the "veterans" unleash the battering rams and are more interested in being angry that the new person doesn't know the rules rather than being willing to reach out and help them. Then inevitably somebody else has a counter-argument and it just devolves from there. It's gotten to the point where, aside from a core group of friends I've made, I've detached myself almost completely from my local group. Of course, this primarily occurs in the online discussion groups and FB forums (everybody somehow seems much friendlier at real live events when they actually have to come face to face with the people they're complaining about). Sad that more people can't just relax a bit and enjoy the game instead of letting everything get them so riled up.

p.s. ~ I fully realize the irony and hypocrisy of posting a complaint about people who complain too much. But I stand by it anyway :)

Not sure if you're anywhere near me (probably not), but I've heard of this happening in my area as well. My friend, who introduced me to caching, has developed a huge sore spot for this type of behavior. And as you note, the people who act this way online are usually very friendly in person. I think in our area it's only a handful of people who do this, but it does seem very unnecessary. And yet, in my experience there are always people who get seriously wound up about their favorite hobby/area of interest, almost to the point of insanity. We're best off to avoid them whenever we can.

What irks me? When people sign a nano physical log in large writing, taking up 2 or more spaces! If your name is long, ok date on one line and name on the next, but some people purposely take up way more space than needed, as if the nano log will not ever fill up!

Also when I can't find a cache and I contact the CO to double check I'm looking in the right area, even if they tell me the exact spot to look, and I go back and check and it's definitely not there and I let them know and they don't do anything about it.

That irks me.

Nano caches irk me. Lol (If you put a nano out, don't get mad if someone with big fingers needs more than one itty bitty space to log their find!) :laughing:

Not sure if you're anywhere near me (probably not), but I've heard of this happening in my area as well. My friend, who introduced me to caching, has developed a huge sore spot for this type of behavior. And as you note, the people who act this way online are usually very friendly in person.

If they're friendly in person, I can't imagine why a friendly conversation with them couldn't lead to some kind of understanding, either you understanding why they're so mean or them understanding that they don't have to be mean to be effective.

* Cache owners not keeping up with the trackers in their caches and if they are missing. Visted one today that was placed in last spring and it still said it was there when it was gone.

* Micros in the wilderness. Like I wanna search the woods for a teeny tiny one.

* Muggles who mess with caches, I have the perfect park by my complex to hide caches in but the muggles destroy them. Had to give up there after two got wrecked.

*Not enough places to hide in urban settings.

I came across one of these yesterday. Eventually walked away. I totally agree with you on this, it takes the fun out of it.

Here are a few more of mine --

PRICKERS -- Nothing quite as annoying as being 50 feet from a cache and realizing the only way to move 50 more feet is to bushwhack through so many prickers that you need a suit of armor to avoid getting hurt. Remind me again how this is supposed to be a fun hobby?

Caches placed in high-traffic areas -- This can either refer to ones that have large numbers of muggles nearby at all hours of the day, or ones that are on street signs on heavily traveled roads. It's all good if I find them quickly, but I get very self-conscious poking around a parking lot for too long or manhandling a street sign as dozens of cars roar by. Anybody could easily get the wrong idea. Just yesterday I attempted to find a cache that's on the property of a gas station convenience store where employees were unloading product right nearby. No thank you.

Edited by MysteryGuy1

PRICKERS -- Nothing quite as annoying as being 50 feet from a cache and realizing the only way to move 50 more feet is to bushwhack through so many prickers that you need a suit of armor to avoid getting hurt. Remind me again how this is supposed to be a fun hobby?

This might be happening because people hid the caches in the winter. I just hid some in woodsy areas that were totally clear and accessible in February, but it is possible that prickers could block them in June. If that happens I'll move them.

<...>

Caches placed in high-traffic areas -- This can either refer to ones that have large numbers of muggles nearby at all hours of the day, or ones that are on street signs on heavily traveled roads. It's all good if I find them quickly, but I get very self-conscious poking around a parking lot for too long or manhandling a street sign as dozens of cars roar by. Anybody could easily get the wrong idea. Just yesterday I attempted to find a cache that's on the property of a gas station convenience store where employees were unloading product right nearby. No thank you.

Although, I did one in downtown Chicago (it's gone now) (the cache, not 'Chicago' itself) that was a clear glass or plastic tube, about six inches long, hanging in the space between a one-foot "Pick Up After Your Dog" sign and the pole. The sign hanger kept the sign about an inch away from the pole. The tube just dropped in from the top, like the whole thing was designed that way.

Busy street, lots of people at mid-day.

I looked EVERYWHERE. Eventually, I looked up to eye-level, and there it was, out in the open. Blink, blink; wholy smokes, that's it!

My point is, I felt THRILLED to find that cache. I'm kinda goofy and I may not do stealth all that well (or so my kid says), but THAT one was fun.

-----

I felt a little impressed by the CO, with enough confidence in the tunnelvision of urban-dwellers to keep them from spotting with it.

It's been archived, so there's no harm in ID'ing the cache.

http://coord.info/GC3721N

Look at the gallery - one of the pics shows the hide from the side. (HORRIBLE spoilers, BTW - I would have removed them!)

You'll see it's SO out in the open - and I saw hundreds of people walk by.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun

Smartphone era lame logs. Which I will define as two words or less (i.e. "found it"), although they most frequently take the form of "Tftc". Drives me absolutely bonkers. And the handful of people who slip through the cracks, and continue to lame log after hiding caches of their own, and finding several hundred or more. They really drive me bonkers. :mad:

I agree 100%. I thought it used to be a set rule that you were supposed to tell a story or make an observation -- you were supposed to write at least a sentence, even if the cache was unremarkable. I started caching in 2005 and this used to be what everyone did (at least in my state). I looked at the caching guidelines today and they say nothing about that. I think it's too bad. New cachers aren't being taught to add to the game that way.

Smartphone era lame logs. Which I will define as two words or less (i.e. "found it"), although they most frequently take the form of "Tftc". Drives me absolutely bonkers. And the handful of people who slip through the cracks, and continue to lame log after hiding caches of their own, and finding several hundred or more. They really drive me bonkers. :mad:

I agree 100%. I thought it used to be a set rule that you were supposed to tell a story or make an observation -- you were supposed to write at least a sentence, even if the cache was unremarkable. I started caching in 2005 and this used to be what everyone did (at least in my state). I looked at the caching guidelines today and they say nothing about that. I think it's too bad. New cachers aren't being taught to add to the game that way.

As of now, the basic rules for geocaching are as follows:

1. If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.

2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.

3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.

They do seem to imply that we should write something more than just tftc. Some people may actually read these and try to follow them as best they can but to be honest, i doubt very many people read em at all. We have to face it, our hobby has turned into more of a numbers game. Unfortunately, cache creativity, cache location, and nice logs don't matter that much these days since none of these are required to get a smiley. :(

<...>

They do seem to imply that we should write something more than just tftc. Some people may actually read these and try to follow them as best they can but to be honest, i doubt very many people read em at all. We have to face it, our hobby has turned into more of a numbers game. Unfortunately, cache creativity, cache location, and nice logs don't matter that much these days since none of these are required to get a smiley. :(

Frog-buddy, don't fret.

It matters to you, it matters to me, it matters to a lot of people who sail these fora. So, we cache for each other, and everyone else misses part of the experience.

It's like 'sarcasm'; the world's a more-fun place if you get it. Their loss.

What irks me most is finding useless rubbish in geocaches. Always trade even or up! I personally would rather someone not put anything in at all rather than put in some broken piece of plastic rubbish!!

Last weekend we found ripped movie tickets, old raffle stubs, used gum, a broken bit of plastic, and other assorted junk. It makes me stabby.

The other odd thing we found was a playing card with <NAME> Blackjack Challenge. Took it and looked it up, no username even close. WTH? Found a cool cut puzzle piece with Jason's Pieces or something similar written on it. No username that I could find close, did a web search, nada. I love homemade swag but I appreciate it a little less if you don't use your cache-handle or any way for me to find you.

I don't have a copious amount of finds, but I've already found too many pill bottles and hide-a-key magnetic holders. These are also the types of caches in which the owner will neglect and let the log become a wet, mushy mess.

Another one are awful logs which are either four characters long or are all about what the cacher did to get to the cache but say nothing about the actual cache. I don't expect a long descriptive paragraph, but a little something would be nice.

Edited by SicilianCyclops

<...>

Frog-buddy, don't fret.

It matters to you, it matters to me, it matters to a lot of people who sail these fora. So, we cache for each other, and everyone else misses part of the experience.

It's like 'sarcasm'; the world's a more-fun place if you get it. Their loss.

I agree.

I've recently started caching with my almost-5-year-old, and he says micros and small log-only caches are "really dumb and boring, Daddy", and I agree wholeheartedly.

So, instead of just griping about it I started a kid-friendly series of caches around my town in natural areas/parks/arbs.

There will be ten and none are smaller than a two pound coffee can (though, I didn't use coffee cans).

I've loaded all with good swag that kids and adults can use (toys, dollar store tools, 10' lengths of paracord, etc) and each has a FTF prize.

This costs me time and money but it's part of what makes the game fun for me.

Several have already been found multiple times and the log feedback is great!

People write longer logs when the cache/location/camo is cool or clever.

:)

To be fair I don't believe I have the 'right' to judge anyone who places caches as I have never done one myself - and I am rather inexperienced with under 200 finds. BUT - the one thing that is a bit annoying is people who place caches but do not maintain them. A few DNFs by reputable members should suggest maybe a drive-by check-that-it-is-still-there. I see a couple that have been MIA for over eight months, and another bunch with three DNFs from members with over 1000 finds. Where is the CO?

Other than that - the only thing that really pisses me off is caches that are muggled. Bloody people - leave the caches alone.

Edited by emmakiwi

I haven't been geocaching long, but soggy logs aren't fun. As well as rude people in these forums. Especially in the new to geocaching section. Don't reply if you don't have patience for newbies. Just go about your day elsewhere. No one is forcing you to respond. I may not have been around during the "good ol' days" of caching but I'm trying to learn the best I can and enjoy it while following proper game etiquette. It'll take me (and other newbies I would guess) a bit to get the hang of it and hopefully create unique and creative caches in the future.

Edited by whit-lauren

I haven't been geocaching long, but soggy logs aren't fun. As well as rude people in these forums. Especially in the new to geocaching section. Don't reply if you don't have patience for newbies. Just go about your day elsewhere. No one is forcing you to respond. I may not have been around during the "good ol' days" of caching but I'm trying to learn the best I can and enjoy it while following proper game etiquette. It'll take me (and other newbies I would guess) a bit to get the hang of it and hopefully create unique and creative caches in the future.

Well said! I feel ashamed when I read some of the responses to legitimate questions asked by new members of the geocaching community.

I think folks get what they give in the forums.

Odd, but seems many of the "Getting Started" new folks tend to shy away from that area designed for them, which is usually a bit more protected by mods, and often more forgiving by others. :)