What Irks you most?

People who pick up a trackable and keep hold of it. My first and only one got taken 2000 miles in the wrong direction and kept for a year until I contacted them Then they took it almost back to where they got it having taken no notice of the reason for the item. This was a very experienced cacher and could not be bothered to read about the item. The next guy picked it up and said he would move it along. He has had if for a year and does not seem to do geocaching any more.

My loss of faith in this community means I will not release any more trackables. What irks me most is both these people lived only few metres from another cache and could have moved it along in a few minutes.

People who say fungible over and over again. :P
People who get their identical, interchangeable undergarments in an identical, interchangeable wad over words that look like they're related to mushrooms and other fungi, but aren't. :P Edited by niraD

Not far from where I live is a power trail with each cache(about 30)named after a particular year and model of car that has no relevance to the area in which it is hidden other than maybe the CO preference for that brand of vehicle.

I have also seen some pretty absurd "themes" for a large series of caches where the theme only exists in the naming of the caches and has nothing to do with the location or type of containers used. As I see it, the theme is just an excuse to put out a lot of caches to increase the find count for others. There's a small PT in California with 80 or so caches with titles related to duct tape.

I think this might be the most picayune complaint about caches I've seen yet. Seriously? You don't like the caches because they didn't pick a theme based on some trivial criteria you'd accept such as location or container type? And, implicitly, you're complaining about a power trail that actually has a theme as if a power trail without a theme would be better? You're just looking for things to complain about now. As long as I enjoy the caches, I could care less what theme inspires someone to put them out.

Oops. Ob. irk: people commenting in the irk thread about other people's irks.

Not far from where I live is a power trail with each cache(about 30)named after a particular year and model of car that has no relevance to the area in which it is hidden other than maybe the CO preference for that brand of vehicle.

I have also seen some pretty absurd "themes" for a large series of caches where the theme only exists in the naming of the caches and has nothing to do with the location or type of containers used. As I see it, the theme is just an excuse to put out a lot of caches to increase the find count for others. There's a small PT in California with 80 or so caches with titles related to duct tape.

I think this might be the most picayune complaint about caches I've seen yet. Seriously? You don't like the caches because they didn't pick a theme based on some trivial criteria you'd accept such as location or container type? And, implicitly, you're complaining about a power trail that actually has a theme as if a power trail without a theme would be better? You're just looking for things to complain about now. As long as I enjoy the caches, I could care less what theme inspires someone to put them out.

Oops. Ob. irk: people commenting in the irk thread about other people's irks.

I just don't like the concept of power trails in general because for me they don't have any great point of interest or benefit other than adding to a cachers find count rapidly.I prefer caches that have some element of attraction or interesting location which adds another dimension to the caching experience,after all is usually just a plastic container that awaits the finder.

I can't see how identical cache containers loosely hidden at 160m intervals contributes anything unique nor encourages people to explore an area that may have other qualities worth looking at.

It's very name implies that you find one and move onto the next quickly.

I just don't like the concept of power trails in general because for me they don't have any great point of interest or benefit other than adding to a cachers find count rapidly.I prefer caches that have some element of attraction or interesting location which adds another dimension to the caching experience,after all is usually just a plastic container that awaits the finder.

I can't see how identical cache containers loosely hidden at 160m intervals contributes anything unique nor encourages people to explore an area that may have other qualities worth looking at.

It's very name implies that you find one and move onto the next quickly.

What also irks me is that I can't seem to get my head around the multi quote reply process?

Geocaches placed under a lamp skirt in the middle of a parking lot at a Super Walmart.

Also, caches placed around dumpsters as the area usually contains lots of trash and I am expected to sort through the trash on the ground to find a cache?

Edited by paticpatic

I'm with you on this CV. The "power trail" is an epidemic here in Northern Nevada!! Absolute garbage!!

Would there be more better caches if the people hiding power trails didn't hide anything? In other words, are power trails in the way of better caches?

Oh, sorry, not expressed as an irk. Try this: it irks me when people assume that if there weren't 1000 power trail caches in an area, then there'd be 1000 good caches, instead.

Before the PT flood gates were opened there would instead have been a slower organic growth of caches, by different people with different containers and different hides. Not the same-old same-old cookie cutter style caches (and listings) for miles and miles. Most pre-PT caches would not have been placed for the sole purpose of upping someone's find count quickly. Instead of 1000 crappy leaky pill bottles along a rail-to-trail, there might be 100 caches placed over time, a variety of caches, and likely a few very good quality caches by a few quality cache hiders along the route. Now a rail-to-trail is not worth visiting if your purpose is to enjoy a day of (hopefully) quality geocaching.

It strikes me as more likely that if the power trail wasn't there, nothing would be.

Not in my area. It's hard to find a spot to hide a cache. And if the county puts up a new trail you can bet it will be carpet bombed. I went looking for a spot on a new trail, saw a stump near a bench and lo & behold...a pill bottle (unpublished - published about 10 days later). I went back to the birdhouse cache I had hung in a tree and took it down. If it turned out the spot I picked for the birdhouse was available I still didn't want it on that trail. There's no way I want the PT owner to get credit for a cache I spent a week working on.

I absolutely HATE when I'm 2 miles into the woods on hiking trails and there is precious caching space wasted on micros. You could successfully hide a car in some of the places I hike, yet I repeatedly find my self searching for incredibly long periods of time for a film container. Put some thought into your cache and make it truly worthwhile for those who are willing to make the journey to it.

I've noticed a disturbing trend lately, and it seems to be geocachers on a "numbers" trip. I have read a few "Found" logs that say "Couldn't find the original container so we replaced it" Pardon? If you couldn't find it it is a DNF. Take the DNF and move on. Maybe the cache is missing, so be it. You did not find it. Maybe the cache is there and you just couldn't find it. Take the DNF and move on.

We were out caching and found one in a series that seemed to be in the open and not in the style of the other hides. Got home to log the find and read the "found" log before ours - it was a cut and paste of a day's caching - "Found many caches today and replaced some containers that we couldn't find". Now our find doesn't seem legit. We found "a" cache, but maybe not "the" cache we were looking for. Totally annoying. End rant.

An Explorer

I've noticed a disturbing trend lately, and it seems to be geocachers on a "numbers" trip. I have read a few "Found" logs that say "Couldn't find the original container so we replaced it" Pardon? If you couldn't find it it is a DNF. Take the DNF and move on. Maybe the cache is missing, so be it. You did not find it. Maybe the cache is there and you just couldn't find it. Take the DNF and move on.

We were out caching and found one in a series that seemed to be in the open and not in the style of the other hides. Got home to log the find and read the "found" log before ours - it was a cut and paste of a day's caching - "Found many caches today and replaced some containers that we couldn't find". Now our find doesn't seem legit. We found "a" cache, but maybe not "the" cache we were looking for. Totally annoying. End rant.

An Explorer

I feel you, and totally agree with you.

1447026194[/url]' post='5547169']

An Explorer

Boy do I hear you. I had to check your profile to see if you are on my area, the same thing happens here. I'm about 200km west. Seems to be a province wide trend.

An Explorer

Boy do I hear you. I had to check your profile to see if you are on my area, the same thing happens here. I'm about 200km west. Seems to be a province wide trend.

I think this is happening in a lot of places. Its one thing if you have previously found the cache and know it to be missing. Its another thing to just presume its missing after 15 mins of looking and thinking that you are doing everyone a favor by placing a new/another container.

first lpcs they are freaking loud and just not creative but they are more for number cachers and nubies and yes i own one but that was my first hide but my main pet peeve is one word logs like "found" or "tftc" only

Grammatically incorrect run-on sentences with no capitalization or punctuation.

Not for nuthin', but isn't that a grammatically incorrect sentence? <g>

first lpcs they are freaking loud and just not creative but they are more for number cachers and nubies and yes i own one but that was my first hide but my main pet peeve is one word logs like "found" or "tftc" only

People who miss the irony in another's post. :lol:

An Explorer

I think this is happening in a lot of places. Its one thing if you have previously found the cache and know it to be missing. Its another thing to just presume its missing after 15 mins of looking and thinking that you are doing everyone a favor by placing a new/another container.

What 15 minutes? I've seen people throwdown after just a couple of minutes. Yes, this is happening everywhere! :blink:

People who miss the irony in another's post. :lol:

Hence the "<g>".

Micros listed as small.

And cache owners who list micros as small on purpose and won't change the size even when the size guidelines are pointed out to them (in my experience that's 95% of cache owners who list micros as small). mad.gif

Small: 100ml [(3.3 ounces, 1/2 cup)] or larger, but less than 1L. Example: A sandwich-sized plastic container or similar. Holds only a small logbook and small items.

A centrifuge tube in a plastic frog is a micro not a small.

A 1 ounce pill bottle is a micro not a small, even if you tie it to a toy dump truck or drill a hole in a log to insert it.

A soda pop preform (1 ounce) is not a small.

A hollow bolt cache is a micro even if it's a 2 inch hollow bolt.

If you're not sure, list it as a "other".

Other: See the cache description for information. Unusual geocache containers that just don't fit into other categories.

Some of us filter out micros and "other". We know we don't like them, that's why we set the PQ filter or ignored the micros listed on the app. Why dupe us into going to your cache? Choose "other" if you want people to know they're looking for a disguise that's bigger than the cache. Give people the appropriate and necessary information so they don't end up feeling cheated into spending time and gas money finding a cache type they don't enjoy finding.

Micros listed as small.

And cache owners who list micros as small on purpose and won't change the size even when the size guidelines are pointed out to them (in my experience that's 95% of cache owners who list micros as small). mad.gif

Small: 100ml [(3.3 ounces, 1/2 cup)] or larger, but less than 1L. Example: A sandwich-sized plastic container or similar. Holds only a small logbook and small items.

A centrifuge tube in a plastic frog is a micro not a small.

A 1 ounce pill bottle is a micro not a small, even if you tie it to a toy dump truck or drill a hole in a log to insert it.

A soda pop preform (1 ounce) is not a small.

A hollow bolt cache is a micro even if it's a 2 inch hollow bolt.

If you're not sure, list it as a "other".

Other: See the cache description for information. Unusual geocache containers that just don't fit into other categories.

Some of us filter out micros and "other". We know we don't like them, that's why we set the PQ filter or ignored the micros listed on the app. Why dupe us into going to your cache? Choose "other" if you want people to know they're looking for a disguise that's bigger than the cache. Give people the appropriate and necessary information so they don't end up feeling cheated into spending time and gas money finding a cache type they don't enjoy finding.

Like the nearby series of 240 (or so) caches listed as small?

Containers are mostly pill bottles, hide a keys, bottle pre-forms and 35mm film containers however there a few Lock n Locks as well as one or two ammo cans thrown in there.

>give you something to do on wet, cold, snowy, horrible days when you can't get outside.

why not spend time with wife and kids or other family or other friends ?

"Geocaching is an OUTDOOR adventure"

This means puzzle with crypric numbers or creating pc programs to brake codes

has NOTHING to do with Geocaching..

it is as simple as that :-)

I'm trying to read through the whole of the posts but most of your posts are nonsensical :angry: . Do you think you could try better and not waste my time trying to sort through the garbage that you are ranting about and produce a decent post?

That's my first Irk: posters on forums who post replies without correctly quoting the post they are replying to :angry: .

Cheers

Schnuz.

Hahaarrgghh yeah goin' to PIRATEMANIA 9 (not that it's been arranged yet, more details in the future)? Be thar or be keel hauled!

The only MEGA PIRATE event in the UK to attend?

Hahaarrgghh, be seein' yah thar yah filthy landlubber!

I'm irked by folks who reply to a two-year-old post in a thread with the assumption that that person from two years ago is even reading the forum.

:laughing: Many apologies. guess I deserved that for not looking at the daits and replying too a post from around page 5 of 25 :anicute: . it does still irk though? along with bed spalling and pure punctuation :anibad::rolleyes::laughing: .

Schnuz.

Hahaarrgghh yeah goin' to PIRATEMANIA 9 (not that it's been arranged yet, more details in the future)? Be thar or be keel hauled!

I'm irked by folks who reply to a two-year-old post in a thread with the assumption that that person from two years ago is even reading the forum.

:laughing: Many apologies. guess I deserved that for not looking at the daits and replying too a post from around page 5 of 25 :anicute: . it does still irk though? along with bed spalling and pure punctuation :anibad::rolleyes::laughing: .

Schnuz.

No worries, Matey. B) (and, grammer n speeling eras bug me too!)

Schnuz.

Don't sweat it. It's common for Americans to seek out the most ridiculous and mundane things all in the name of being offended. It's important to laugh and shrug them off.

I think some people see DNFs as both a personal and a community feature. If they see it more as a community feature, a DNF for a non-attempt serves no purpose for the cache owner or the community. It tells them nothing about the cache. But I understand why you would log a DNF for your personal reasons. as part of your cache history.

The "serves no purpose" argument I think is misguided. It is just as purpose-full as any other part of the reporting system. It lets the CO know that people are interested, and are attempting to find it. It lets other cachers know that in the dark, you will probably need a flashlight.

I'm not all that bent out of shape by someone logging a DNF for a non attempt, although I personally don't think a DNF should be logged if you didn't even look! I feel it should be reserved for actually looking for the cache and not being able to find it. Otherwise, a note would serve to keep a record of your visit without putting up a blue face that might indicate a problem of some sort with the cache. However, that's just my opinion and I'd much rather see DNF icons, and then, when I check over the cache page, read that it was a non attempt, than have people not post DNF at all!!!

Exactly. Don't post a DNF if you didn't look. It only serves to cast a negative light on the cache. People who post a DNF if they hit 'go' on their GPS 10 miles away, got a flat, then went home are being obsessive to the detriment of the cache. This can lead to the cache getting archived down the road while still being there.

I received notice today of an archived cache, http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC18BB6_roller-coaster-road-cache

Looking at the logs, I see no reason that cache should have been archived. Sure it had two DNFs and hasn't been found in years. Look at the last 2 DNFs, they admit to not looking thoroughly. Read down further, it has had other DNFs as well then found by others. Just two DNFs can get your cache archived without anyone asking for maintenance or archive.

Well, there's two things there. Usually, reviewers give a grace period for the owner to respond to (like a month), before archiving. Also, that reviewer said that they'd be willing to unarchive the cache page if the cache was fixed and the cache still met the guidelines.

I don't think that people should be afraid to post a dnf if their dnf standards don't match other people's standards. That just leads to dnfs not being posted, which can also have negative affects.

Went back only two pages this time but it still a slightly old post but still relevant as an irk :anibad: .

The cache in question wasn't just archived for two DNF's it was archived because the CO was no longer active .

That does lead nicely to another irk: geocaches that are left to rot as geolitter :mad: .

I try to do my bit in my area; if I post a NM or a NA I stick the cache on the watchlist B) . If it ends up getting archived i then go and pick up the geolitter.

That nicely leads on to another irk that was "discussed" in another thread :lol: .

When people aren't finding it and posting DNFs, the problem will eventually take care of itself.

How?

How can the problem of a cache not being maintained go away by "the problem will eventually take care of itself"? Without external intervention? The other poster got slated for being a troll on that subject. Admittedly the posts could have been a little more informative but it's not rocket science really. If the cache owner is not providing maintenance who is ,literally, picking up the pieces? I have personaly found an old, very grotty and actually archived cache :angry: , it wasn't a pleasant experience in the slightest :angry: . It hadn't been archived that long as it was still in the PQ so my thoughts were "if that was the first cache I found would I have bothered to continue"? The answer would probably have been no :angry: .

That being the case; caches that aren't actively maintained are my biggest irk.

Happy caching.

Cheers.

Schnuz.

DNFs especially when you dont get a "dnf courtesy email " from the cache owner. jeff=bones1

dnf courtesy email?

I was thinking the same thing.

If you want a hint or help, take the 30 seconds out of your day and email me directly. I'll never reply to a "hoping for a hint" within a DNF log.

DNFs especially when you dont get a "dnf courtesy email " from the cache owner. jeff=bones1

dnf courtesy email?

I was thinking the same thing.

If you want a hint or help, take the 30 seconds out of your day and email me directly. I'll never reply to a "hoping for a hint" within a DNF log.

Or even just play the game as presented and enjoy tackling the challenge offered by the CO head on? For (takes a deep breath) the fun of it? :o

Given that, as we are frequently reminded, this is just a game I never cease to be amazed at how little effort some are willing to invest in actually playing it :blink:

Actually that's a lie - it doesn't surprise me much any more.

Cache owners who email you unsolicited spoilers just because you logged a DNF on one of their caches.
While I expect those CO's mean well this is something I wouldn't appreciate.
It hasn't happened often, but it does irk me, and the "dnf courtesy email" post reminded me of these "dnf discourtesy emails" that irk me.

Being on-and-off active over the last ten years or so, I'll echo other posters here and say that caching has definitely shifted from quality to quantity.

There have always been micros hidden at the base of lamp posts in big-box store parking lots, nanos tucked away amongst the tree branches, and pill bottles thrown into the middle of blackberry bushes. But with many new and active cachers, these kinds of hides have increased exponentially. In a roundabout way, geocaching has become a victim of its own success and popularity.

None of us will agree on the answer to the problem, but something needs to be done to steer the hobby back in the other direction.

<puts on flame suit> :ph34r:

AS a CO, reading the same log on 21 caches in a series, each one unique and hidden differently to the others. Yes, it irks me but I can live with it.

Logged by: zzzzz

Log Type: Found it

Date: 12/5/2015

Type: Traditional Cache

Log:

With xxxxx and yyyyy . TFTC. SL

What irks me??? Getting up at 5am...fueling up my car...buying breakfast, grabbing a lunch and packing it.....driving 2 hours to a bike trail...caching all day and buying dinner on the way home at dark. I followed a big number cachers 50,000+, and was kind of excited about seeing his signature on the logs I was signing....and ended up NOT SEEING ONE SIGNATURE of his on any of the logs. I scoured the logs, took pics, looked more when I got home. it was obvious on every one where his signature SHOULD BE on OCT 13, 2015 and NOT ONE was seen!! He didn't even make it look good by AT LEAST showing up for the first 5 or so!! GEEZ!!! I ended up biking 6.5 miles up worth of caches and 6.5 back on the same trail and I did about 50 in one day. He logged every cache on the trail (34.37 miles long of caches every .1 to .2 miles apart) He even logged the bonus caches along the way of which I never bothered because I knew it would slow me down. Thats over 300 caches logged in one day.

I think he lost the true meaning of caching abd why he got into it to begin with.

Edited by wvcachers3
disguised potty language removed by moderator

Not in my area. It's hard to find a spot to hide a cache. And if the county puts up a new trail you can bet it will be carpet bombed. I went looking for a spot on a new trail, saw a stump near a bench and lo & behold...a pill bottle (unpublished - published about 10 days later). I went back to the birdhouse cache I had hung in a tree and took it down. If it turned out the spot I picked for the birdhouse was available I still didn't want it on that trail. There's no way I want the PT owner to get credit for a cache I spent a week working on.

That's too bad, as I'm in your area and always enjoy your caches. I hope you hid it elsewhere. I'd never mistake a cache like the one you described having taken down as belonging to the 'PT owner', since it'd be obvious to me that one of those things was not at all like the others, and I would consider it a nice surprise during my day of caching.

I've done a few PT series, and while I agree that it'd be nice if each cache was unique, I've never felt that a series like that was tedious or boring. A PT is more about enjoying the day with the people I cache with than it is about finding as many caches as possible, the bump in my 'found' numbers is a nice side bonus for me, not the point of doing the series. But that's just me, to each their own. We all enjoy this game in our own ways, and that's part of what I like about it so much.

Edited by obax