What Irks you most?

To further the thought, I remind you that New York state is a very pro geo-caching place that officially recognizes geo-caching as an outdoor sport on par with hunting and fishing. And that you may place a cache on any state land other than highways or monuments without written permission.

Is that true? How can this be confirmed?

My irks are:

• Destruction of the environment.
  • Petty passive-aggressive fights in the log section.
  • Cachers who write in the log "took a while to find this one, re-hid it where I thought it should have been" (it probably took you a while to find it because it was well hidden in the first place). I have seen this one a few times and always annoys me when it is one I haven't found yet because I then have to figure out where somebody else "thought" it should have been without the help of coordinates.
  • Cachers who log a "found it" and say "didn't have a pen so I didn't sign it" on multiple caches (makes me think of the found it = dnf thread)
  • People who either steal or otherwise neglect to log trackables. I only have one I own out in the world, but the sorry state of logging for the ones I have logged in the past (or not found in caches which claim to contain them) makes me reluctant to release any others.

etarace

Your irks are my irks too.

From NYS DEC - http://www.dec.ny.go...v/dectv105.html

From DEC regulations and enforcement section 190 - http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4081.html Look at paragraph W

From the Conservationist - http://www.dec.ny.gov/pubs/24032.html

Finally from the list of recreational uses of state lands- The only problem I have with it is the requirement of including your name and address in the cache

Geocaching

Geocaching is allowed although caches must be marked with the owner's contact information and may not be placed in dangerous or ecologically sensitive locations. See the February 2005 article in Conservationist Magazine for more information on geo-caching.

Now get back out into the woods <g>

ubaphygg

Edited by ubaphygg

Thank you ubaphygg. I looked at the websites, and they have some good maps. But then I came across this pdf for geocaching

Any visitor wishing to place a cache must complete an application for a geocache placement

permit, which requires review and authorization by the park manager or designee. The permit

process will provide for review of all geocache placements to ensure the protection of natural,

historic, and archeological resources, and the safety and security of park visitors.

This Guidance Document rescinds and replaces the agency’s previous “Geocaching Policy”

dated September 27, 2010.

Dated: August 13, 2013

Doesn't this contradict the statement in question? What is state land other than highways, monuments, and parks? I can see why they would do it though... So many cachers bushwhack to a cache that says "just off the trail" right in the description.

That's a sub-irk under the irk of destroying the environment: "bushwhacked in, found the trail after I found the cache." Granted, I have been in an area where I honestly thought that there wasn't a trail and made the best way I could to a cache before... only to find a scraggly path that looks like maybe it was maintained at some point a decade ago after I found the cache. The ones that irk me are the ones who repeatedly do this in parks that have well marked systems of trails, some of which are paved or gravel, and I'm pretty sure "bushwhacked in, found the trail after I found the cache" really means "tromped through, cut and crushed various flora and fauna I can't identify and didn't bother looking at anyway because I thought it would be a shortcut, heaven forbid I spend a quarter hour more in the wilderness, there's spiders and mud out here; after I found the cache I saw the well maintained path that the description told me the cache would be beside so I figured I would take that since it might actually be a quicker route to my car."

I have 2 things that bother me.

1. When cachers feel the need to hide a film container / pill bottle every 528 feet on every street in town. Oh, let me guess.....this one is hidden on the back of that speed limit sign.....AGAIN! No creativity at all.

2. When you hike a half a mile into some deep woods where you could hide a 30 gallon trash can and all that's there is yet another film container / pill bottle. Again.....No creativity at all.

This thread should have been called "What Soaks Your Log?"

I haven't been caching long but so far my biggest issue is with people who are active on the site but don't respond to messages. The caches in my area are logged very infrequently (most have the last find sometime in the middle of 2013)and there are some that seem like they should be obvious but I can't find them. I send a message to the last active user that found that cache and ask "Do you remember if XX land mark was at YY cache" and never even get a simple No.

I haven't been caching long but so far my biggest issue is with people who are active on the site but don't respond to messages. The caches in my area are logged very infrequently (most have the last find sometime in the middle of 2013)and there are some that seem like they should be obvious but I can't find them. I send a message to the last active user that found that cache and ask "Do you remember if XX land mark was at YY cache" and never even get a simple No.

Did you make sure the "I want to send my email..." was still checked (the default) when you sent it?

- I received two similar in the past two weeks.

Neither included their email address, as evidenced by the "no reply" address in the header.

I'd help out and respond (if I remember where it is). Least they could do was leave an address.

I'm not searching them too...

Did you make sure the "I want to send my email..." was still checked (the default) when you sent it?

- I received two similar in the past two weeks.

Neither included their email address, as evidenced by the "no reply" address in the header.

I'd help out and respond (if I remember where it is). Least they could do was leave an address.

I'm not searching them too...

I believe so but I will be sure to double check next time. Thank you for the tip.

This thread should have been called "What Soaks Your Log?"

I believe that you are making an assumption that other caches feel obligated to help you. They aren't... and many that receive an email from a complete stranger may not respond, if they even bother to read your message at all, be it through the website or otherwise.

Have you thought about asking the CO when you need assistance with finding his/her cache? You'll probably get better/quicker responses.

I would help a friend or somebody that I know, perhaps (notice -- *perhaps*) a complete stranger... but not all are like that. I can comprehend others not responding for whatever reason. I wouldn't necessarily blame them, either.

I have trouble comprehending where you see this as being an "issue" -- as in "What Irks you most?", the thread title. There are probably a zillion+1 reasons why others might not respond to your email, not the least of which is regarding a find that they may not even remember a year ago.

Or just maybe the view of those you message is that geocaching is a game based on hunting for containers using your own effort and skills - not a game based on asking someone who knows where it is to tell you where it is.

Personally I don't mind a DNF and will often go out multiple times to nail a tricky cache - especially if I know it's there because others are finding it between my visits. For me, being told precisely where to look would defeat the whole idea of the game - may as well just take a walk.

Or just maybe the view of those you message is that geocaching is a game based on hunting for containers using your own effort and skills - not a game based on asking someone who knows where it is to tell you where it is.

Personally I don't mind a DNF and will often go out multiple times to nail a tricky cache - especially if I know it's there because others are finding it between my visits. For me, being told precisely where to look would defeat the whole idea of the game - may as well just take a walk.

If you read my post you would see that I'm not asking for the location of the container, I am asking if the terrain has changed in such a way that the cache may be gone. This cache http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3H6VG_spencer-tucker?guid=937556fd-c0dd-4657-be35-60e94e36a5bf for example. It is pretty obvious where the cache should be but the object looks new so there is a good chance the cache is gone.

"What Soaks Your Log?"

my biggest issue is with people who are active on the site but don't respond to messages.

The "PM" message system is not at all 100% reliable. So I can mention that fact because although that doesn't irk me most, it irks.

Anyway, if you get no reply, something went wrong. Or as GG said, the recipient doesn't really do the email thing. It sometimes helps if you can phrase your question in the form of a Cache Log. "I'm trying to contact the Cache Owner about this" or whatever, when there seems to be a long delay in the reply.

If you read my post you would see that I'm not asking for the location of the container, I am asking if the terrain has changed in such a way that the cache may be gone. This cache http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3H6VG_spencer-tucker?guid=937556fd-c0dd-4657-be35-60e94e36a5bf for example. It is pretty obvious where the cache should be but the object looks new so there is a good chance the cache is gone.

It seems like somebody on 21 July 2012 shared your hypothesis:

I suspect that the host object for this cache has been recently replaced and the cache may be lost. Cheers!

Yet people found it before and after him. Somebody found it just a month before you. That looks like a fairly remote area, and it has only been one week since you logged your attempt. Give it a little more time. Most people wouldn't waste the time and gas to drive out to the lake to make sure a thing the size of a kitty toe-pad is still stuck on a guardrail that gets visited half a dozen times per year. Maybe you're right, maybe the guardrail (or whatever) is new. But maybe you're looking for a magnetic key-holder when you should be looking for a nano smaller than a dime. Those can be maddening the first time.

It seems like somebody on 21 July 2012 shared your hypothesis:

I suspect that the host object for this cache has been recently replaced and the cache may be lost. Cheers!

Yet people found it before and after him. Somebody found it just a month before you. That looks like a fairly remote area, and it has only been one week since you logged your attempt. Give it a little more time. Most people wouldn't waste the time and gas to drive out to the lake to make sure a thing the size of a kitty toe-pad is still stuck on a guardrail that gets visited half a dozen times per year. Maybe you're right, maybe the guardrail (or whatever) is new. But maybe you're looking for a magnetic key-holder when you should be looking for a nano smaller than a dime. Those can be maddening the first time.

The cache is at a picnic site on a beach so it is feasible that it could have been muggled when the weather started to warm up in May.

At any rate I plan on going back and hope for a different result. Thanks for all of the input.

I have 2 things that bother me.

1. When cachers feel the need to hide a film container / pill bottle every 528 feet on every street in town. Oh, let me guess.....this one is hidden on the back of that speed limit sign.....AGAIN! No creativity at all.

2. When you hike a half a mile into some deep woods where you could hide a 30 gallon trash can and all that's there is yet another film container / pill bottle. Again.....No creativity at all.

What irks me is that I hike out and put a nice size container with some items in it and a few years later the container is empty of anything put rusty button pins, food, and business cards. Do some degree, in some circumstances, large containers do not work anymore. Of course that said, still looking to add some LARGE containers.

*I'm not speaking about any of my Florida caches. Mostly an issue in Maryland. I have only a few small and regular containers here.

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

Puzzle caches!

I don't understand why a CO would want to keep me sitting on my butt in front of the computer trying to figure out what he/she was thinking when I could be outside finding caches.

This. I spent an hour the other night working out the co-ordinates for a puzzle cache I want to find for when I go on holiday when I could have been outside finding a few more caches that are bugging me nearby my house.

Puzzle caches!

I don't understand why a CO would want to keep me sitting on my butt in front of the computer trying to figure out what he/she was thinking when I could be outside finding caches.

This. I spent an hour the other night working out the co-ordinates for a puzzle cache I want to find for when I go on holiday when I could have been outside finding a few more caches that are bugging me nearby my house.

Was the cache owner somehow coercing you into solving the puzzle? As far as I am aware, they are not mandatory.

Puzzle caches!

Don't do it then, puzzles have the best filter available to you, a different icon on the map.

Here is something that Irks me. I have a cache that gets logged 4 to 8 times a year (it is about a 20 min drive from the nearest small town) and a 15 min walk from the nearest road), but I DNF it every time I try to do maintenance. I am assuming it is still there due to the Found logs, but I sure as heck can't find it.

list and the web sight granted im new but this is not user friendly How do you make a list for example where im from there is a group of caches and if you complete them you get a prize which my ten year old would love to do they are disperesed all through out the county is there a way to search just those?? the web sight is irksome

Here is something that Irks me. I have a cache that gets logged 4 to 8 times a year (it is about a 20 min drive from the nearest small town) and a 15 min walk from the nearest road), but I DNF it every time I try to do maintenance. I am assuming it is still there due to the Found logs, but I sure as heck can't find it.
You aren't the first cache owner to DNF your own cache, and you won't be the last. I've had to tell multiple cache owners where I found their caches, because the caches had migrated so far that they couldn't find them.
list and the web sight granted im new but this is not user friendly How do you make a list for example where im from there is a group of caches and if you complete them you get a prize which my ten year old would love to do they are disperesed all through out the county is there a way to search just those?? the web sight is irksome
Often the best way to find a series of caches is to use a bookmark list to make a pocket query. Hopefully there will be an existing bookmark list that you can use, otherwise you'll need to create your own bookmark list.

For more information on PQs:

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Hidden communication.

Two examples:

1) People don't really understand how the “Private Message System” works, nor its issues. So they send a volley of ever angrier PMs to another cacher over [whatever topic], or are sent replies to those PMs, and one direction or another, the emails are not reaching the target, unbeknownst to one party. So the senders arrive in the Forums, asking “I've sent them a lot of PMs, now what!!” ... to the reply of “you've done everything you can”. ... Yet when I look at any given Cache or Trackable page to be sure they have done “everything they can”, they've posted no log that could be evidence of a problem.

2) People make a cache event, don't state in the text of the description, the day of the week, the time and the date. You have to scour several paragraphs to compile that info (and the day of the week is up to the reader to deduce). Then they put the event's address in the encrypted hint.

Edited by kunarion

Puzzle caches!

Was the cache owner somehow coercing you into solving the puzzle? As far as I am aware, they are not mandatory.

THIS!

But also...while I don't do them....if I did, they would be very nice for the summertime here in Florida, when staying indoors in the AC is much appreciated. I would solve, create a list and find them when the weather was better.

Additionally, you can work on them at night when caching isn't as available. Rainy days or snow days (if in a state that has that) etc. Time management. But buttomline...it is optional!

Puzzle caches!

When I learned that cachers filter out "Puzzles", I made a Puzzle Cache specifically to reduce the traffic. It's an easy puzzle, but the fact that it is a "Puzzle" causes fewer finds, which has kept the quality of the hide and its contents high. No Geotrail, either. I don't necessarily want everyone nearby going there.

So that's one reason a CO might do that.

Edited by kunarion

Puzzle caches!

When I learned that cachers filter out "Puzzles", I made a Puzzle Cache specifically to reduce the traffic. It's an easy puzzle, but the fact that it is a "Puzzle" causes fewer finds, which has kept the quality of the hide and its contents high. No Geotrail, either. I don't necessarily want everyone nearby going there.

So that's one reason a CO might do that.

That's precisely why I made a few of my puzzles. Unfortunately, it backfired in several instances once the big puzzle solvers in the area have come and gone and now they sit unsolved and untouched.

Looks to me as though you are using a smartphone... So, I checked your logs. It appears also (from the logs and "find" strings), that you may well be using the Groundspeak Intro-app for geocaching purposes.

Take note that the Intro-app is VERY limited in scope. It will not perform many functions that the full (paid) app will do.

I do not believe that you can compile "lists", nor will it even show you caches that you may need to fulfill the requirements of finding (some of) those particular caches in order to claim a prize.

You may be expecting too much from a "teaser" app.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Users who constantly publish challenge caches. There is one in my area that has a seemingly endless supply of challenge ideas and will publish two or three at a time. I get all these notifications and am excited...until I see who the CO is and that it has "Challenge" in the name. It's like opening a big box on Christmas and only finding socks or a fruitcake inside.

I'm also getting tired of COs congratulating the FTF in the description. I get it...it's kind of fun to be the FTF when the opportunity arises, but I don't really think it's necessary to publicize it right there on the cache page. It almost seems like people expect you to around here, but I refuse to play into that...EXCEPT in the case of a few of my puzzle caches that involved a person being the first to properly solve the puzzle and differentiating the "FTS" from the "FTF". I do like to give some credit to whoever manages to solve it the way I intended, since on more than one occasion that person was not the first person to find the cache.

Users who constantly publish challenge caches. There is one in my area that has a seemingly endless supply of challenge ideas and will publish two or three at a time. I get all these notifications and am excited...until I see who the CO is and that it has "Challenge" in the name. It's like opening a big box on Christmas and only finding socks or a fruitcake inside.

I hear ya. In my area we have COs with an endless supply of challenge cache ideas. We have 100s and 100s of them. There are challenge power trails. Here are 2 screenshots - miles and miles of trailways saturated with them:

a29fc997-62dc-42f0-aaa4-6eb4fdb65fa0.png

a1963217-224b-4457-a6be-a76683a558a1.png

Edited by L0ne.R

I hear ya. In my area we have COs with an endless supply of challenge cache ideas. We have 100s and 100s of them. There are challenge power trails. Here are 2 screenshots - miles and miles of trailways saturated with them:

a29fc997-62dc-42f0-aaa4-6eb4fdb65fa0.png

a1963217-224b-4457-a6be-a76683a558a1.png

Wow :blink:

I also get irritated when you trek into the woods to find a nano. Make it worth my time!

With me it depends on the "trek". If it was a nice hiking trail I'd enjoy it regardless of cache size. But if it was a fight through scrub, brambles etc then not so enjoyable if the result was a tiny micro. Unless there was something unique about the way it was hidden.

It seems to me that some regard a big cache as a reward for their effort and that irks me.

I also get irritated when you trek into the woods to find a nano. Make it worth my time!

What do you feel it would take to make a nice trek in the woods "worth your time"?

- It's the same walk, whatever size the container. You're already "rewarded" with a smiley...

It seems to me that some regard a big cache as a reward for their effort and that irks me.

Not big, just swag size. The company that makes Lock & Lock sells a 3" round and a 3x4" rectangle container that can hold a small logbook, a cut-down pencil and couple of small swag items (even a travelbug). Many cachers like a fuller geocaching experience that includes the "cache" in geocaching.

Edited by L0ne.R

What do you feel it would take to make a nice trek in the woods "worth your time"?

- It's the same walk, whatever size the container. You're already "rewarded" with a smiley...

I get really tired of not being allowed an opinion on these forums. That irks me.

I don't care about the swag. I can go to the dollar store and buy the same crap I see in caches. Obviously there is more space in the woods for larger caches, it seems like a waste to me.

And I thought geocaching wasn't about the smiley.

With me it depends on the "trek". If it was a nice hiking trail I'd enjoy it regardless of cache size. But if it was a fight through scrub, brambles etc then not so enjoyable if the result was a tiny micro. Unless there was something unique about the way it was hidden.

Agreed. I fought way to many briars last weekend.

I get really tired of not being allowed an opinion on these forums. That irks me.

I don't care about the swag. I can go to the dollar store and buy the same crap I see in caches. Obviously there is more space in the woods for larger caches, it seems like a waste to me.

And I thought geocaching wasn't about the smiley.

Are you "irked" simply because I didn't agree with you?

- What a boring forum if everyone agreed...

With many, geocaching is all about the smiley.

What do you mean? You just posted an opinion, so unless I'm missing something, you're obviously allowed an opinion.

It also means that others are allowed an opinion about your opinion.

Indeed. Are there posts being deleted or something?

No effort logs.. YOu do NOt have to write me a book.. BUT I worked toplace a cache for you and I get ' FOUND ' or ' TFTC '

or recently on a series, a string of " . " geeez Thanks so much for your appreciation .

I agree wholeheartedly. This is just getting worse all the time. Lately I have been getting logs without any comment at all. After a long string of logs with no comment what so ever I received a log that consisted of: "coordinates off" This from a cacher who had found a grand total of 6 caches about a cache that had been in place for 7 years without complaint. I was so furious I emailed the person thanking them for the info but also suggesting that they be a little more appreciative in their log. A waste of time since I just got a hateful email in return stating that it is "only a game & I should not take it personally & she shouldn't have to "sugar coat" the fact that my coordinates were off!!!!"

Edited by babest51
After a long string of logs with no comment what so ever I received a log that consisted of: "coordinates off" This from a cacher who had found a grand total of 6 caches about a cache that had been in place for 7 years without complaint.

A cacher's very first find on my cache was, "Could use more trinkets in the cache"

I shook my head, rolled my eyes, and clicked on.

No effort logs.. YOu do NOt have to write me a book.. BUT I worked toplace a cache for you and I get ' FOUND ' or ' TFTC '

or recently on a series, a string of " . " geeez Thanks so much for your appreciation .

I agree wholeheartedly. This is just getting worse all the time. Lately I have been getting logs without any comment at all.

This could be people using the same type of gps I have. You log your find directly on the gps, and then you can add pretyped messages. To actually type out a message is a painstaking process of scrolling and clicking, LOL! That is why I try to go back and type in my logs at my home base. Or it could be new geocachers who don't realize it's polite to log more.