What Irks you most?

Thoughtless setting of microyomps and pointless micros in general.

I know this has been done to death and back, but that doesn't stop it irking me. And I live on a small island where we are rather crammed together.

I have no doubt that this has set this game on a downward spiral.

There are a lot of new cachers joining us every day and the most likely first experience that they will have is finding a micro which will almost certainly break the setting guidelines (no GC number and no cache note - yes I know this isn't a requirement. But many - most? are placed without land owner consent.) New cachers enthused with the game simply repeat what they have seen and so it goes. And film cans placed every 500 feet just use up space forcing new cachers into less and less inspiring locations. New series anyone? 'Pointless Micros in Pointless Places. Number 42 The Dog Mess Bin'.

Perhaps microyomps belong in a new section of the site in the way that locationless caches ended up being Waymarking. How about excluding a larger container from the 500 feet rule where there are micros in the way?

Perhaps it is time to explore what other geocaching sites have to offer.........

PP.

Can I say something that irks me about myself? I am terrible at figuring out where to park! I guess I could hope for additional waypoints on caches where it's not obvious unless you know the area well, but I never see anyone mention it as a problem, so it must be me. :P

I find parking coordinates quite helpful, and I provide them on my caches. But be aware that some people consider finding access part of the game and intentionally leave you in the dark. And even COs that generally provide parking sometimes decide that, for a particular location, it might be fun to force you to work out the access for yourself. These are harder for cachers visiting an area, as I've discovered for myself from time to time, but them's the breaks.

Of course, most COs probably just don't think about it, and it's OK to be irked with them, just don't be irked with the ones that are doing it on purpose. :)

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go look for a yomp.

Hmm... Google wasn't very helpful. What's a "microyomp"?

duh, it's a really tiny "yomp" - you know, a YOMP!

:laughing:

Sorry. Yomping is slang for a trek - dull and repetitive.

PP.

Hm, maybe it's regional or personal - but I've always thought of a trek as an adventure.

I think that most people don't know that they can edit their caches description, size, or even the coordinates. Most simply put this information in a note log, which quickly scrolls off the page.

Stuff like this should be in the Weekly newsletter. Jayme?

Love the idea! I'll pass it on to our newsletter folks. Thanks Don! :)

Sorry. Yomping is slang for a trek - dull and repetitive.
Okay... I guess I'm still confused. Why are you irked by "microyomps" then? Is it the "micro" part, that you wish they were longer treks? Or the "yomp" part, that even the micro versions are too dull and repetitive? Or something else?

Sorry, I suspect two nations divided by a common language here.

Something being described as 'a bit of a trek' can a long and not very pleasurable journey here. Yomping is a Royal Marines term for a long distance march in full kit.

Microyomp - long distance walk broken up by nothing more than a stream of film cannisters.

PP.

Sorry, I suspect two nations divided by a common language here.

Something being described as 'a bit of a trek' can a long and not very pleasurable journey here. Yomping is a Royal Marines term for a long distance march in full kit.

Microyomp - long distance walk broken up by nothing more than a stream of film cannisters.

PP.

Very interesting information, thanks! I guess we do sometimes use the word trek to mean something longer and more arduous.

Ah...

LightBulb.jpg

Thanks. I get it now. It's a yomp filled with micro-caches, not a micro-sized yomp.

:P

It leads to nonsense like this.

GC50AXC. It's a nano. It gets you ONE smiley and to everyone around, it looks just the same as just another film pot chucked into the bottom of a tree. On your page it looks as though the CO has just stuck a nano on a bit of railing. But he hasn't.

This takes a lot longer, it's a bit of an adventure and THIS one will get a favourite point and a film can thoughtlessly thrown down won't.

PP.

It leads to nonsense like this.

GC50AXC. It's a nano. It gets you ONE smiley and to everyone around, it looks just the same as just another film pot chucked into the bottom of a tree. On your page it looks as though the CO has just stuck a nano on a bit of railing. But he hasn't.

Well, yeah. The 71% Favorites/Premium Logs ratio tells me that it isn't "just another film pot chucked into the bottom of a tree".

One find gets you one smiley, no matter how wonderful or how lame the cache is, no matter what the difficulty/terrain ratings are, no matter how frequently a cache is found or how rarely a cache is found. There have been a number of alternate ways to "keep score" proposed. Some of them have been implemented in various automated ways. Maybe you'd enjoy one of them more than just the raw smiley count.

What irks me? Thinking your cache find count somehow demands respect from me.

The other day, I saw a cacher at one of my caches. I said the standard "Hi, how're ya doin? Where ya from?" and he answered, almost as if he plans his responses out like an auto-generated email, "I'm so-and-so, from this city and state, but #1 in this other state with 36,000+ finds."

:rolleyes:

After taking a second to let this automatic message sink in, I realized that I wasn't impressed. Frankly, I thought it a bit odd and lame to use that as an introduction. Was I supposed to bow at his feet, praising him for his number of finds, being the lowly guy I am with my find count? Hardly.

This is part of the reason why I dislike the whole numbers thing. It leads to bragging. Sure, it's nice to say you hit this or that milestone or to chase them on a power run, but when it comes off as a badge of how cool or awesome you think you are...yeah, I don't like that.

The other day, I saw a cacher at one of my caches. I said the standard "Hi, how're ya doin? Where ya from?" and he answered, almost as if he plans his responses out like an auto-generated email, "I'm so-and-so, from this city and state, but #1 in this other state with 36,000+ finds."

After taking a second to let this automatic message sink in, I realized that I wasn't impressed. Frankly, I thought it a bit odd and lame to use that as an introduction. Was I supposed to bow at his feet, praising him for his number of finds, being the lowly guy I am with my find count? Hardly.

This is part of the reason why I dislike the whole numbers thing. It leads to bragging. Sure, it's nice to say you hit this or that milestone or to chase them on a power run, but when it comes off as a badge of how cool or awesome you think you are...yeah, I don't like that.

You should have gotten an autograph. He sure seems approachable. :rolleyes:

So he's proud of his accomplishment. Why does that irk you? I suggest that you just note that and move on instead of upsetting yourself by imagining that he expects you to bow at his feet or praise him. There's nothing wrong with not being impressed, but it's kinda rude to demand he not be proud of himself. And almost as rude to imagine he's replying on automatic when he chooses to present his unique accomplishment as a way of introducing himself. You seem to be working really hard to find a way to feel offended.

So he's proud of his accomplishment. Why does that irk you? I suggest that you just note that and move on instead of upsetting yourself by imagining that he expects you to bow at his feet or praise him. There's nothing wrong with not being impressed, but it's kinda rude to demand he not be proud of himself. And almost as rude to imagine he's replying on automatic when he chooses to present his unique accomplishment as a way of introducing himself. You seem to be working really hard to find a way to feel offended.

Whatever happened to humble?

Announcing your find count as a response to meeting someone is not normal behavior, and a bit presumptuous. :P

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Crappy or cryptic hints.

Imagine this: You've walked a half a mile, seen the waterfall or creek or whatever, and are trying to find the cache, which of course is a film canister or key box. The hint says "under the rhododedron". GZ is in the middle of a thicket of rhodos...

Or even better, wandering around a pine barrens, and the hint says "at the base of the pine tree".

Why even bother giving a hint? Hints lead me to think that after a nice search I may receive some help where needed, not that the hint is completely useless. Hints like "under the oak tree with the hugs gall on the side the size of a watermelon", or "At the bast of the pine tree with the weird crooked spiral trunk" would at least be useful.

The hint says "under the rhododedron". GZ is in the middle of a thicket of rhodos...

Or even better, wandering around a pine barrens, and the hint says "at the base of the pine tree".

I'm not sure these are completely useless. The words "under" and "at the base of" indicate that the cache you're looking for is probably at ground level, which does give you some information.

Announcing your find count as a response to meeting someone is not normal behavior, and a bit presumptuous.

Perhaps, but being irked by such a minor affectation seems like a sad response. If someone strikes me as presumptuous or even arrogant, I just laugh at them.

Crappy or cryptic hints.

I know what you mean, but the hints that I find humorous are the ones along these lines but worse: they just tell you what you already know because of the coordinates. "Near the picnic tables." Well, yeah, I hope so, because if it isn't near the picnic tables, your coordinates are way off. (Of course, this becomes particularly amusing when the hint really is useful because the coordinates really are so bad I never would have searched anywhere near the picnic tables without it.)

Announcing your find count as a response to meeting someone is not normal behavior, and a bit presumptuous.

Perhaps, but being irked by such a minor affectation seems like a sad response. If someone strikes me as presumptuous or even arrogant, I just laugh at them.

With the advent of power trails, most of the numbers are meaningless and not any indication of any type of skill or accomplishment. However this person announces their find count immediately upon meeting anyone, which indicates they are living in some imaginary ego fed fantasy world, and you believe if anyone is irked by this that they are being rude? :D

You know, that's how most politicians get elected..

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

You can be proud of your accomplishments, but to use that as an opening greeting is pretty rude (and/or lame, take your pick) in an of itself. Announcing such stats is a message from the cacher that you'd better respect him for his numbers. I have met some of the top cachers in the world, numbers-wise, and they haven't even brought it up unless asked.

As for the automatic reply, I guess you had to be there. He rattled it off like he's practiced it.

Whatever happened to humble?

Announcing your find count as a response to meeting someone is not normal behavior, and a bit presumptuous. :P

This.

It wasn't a major irk, but an irk, nonetheless. If you've never met a person in your life, spouting off your unsolicited stats is quite unbecoming.

With the advent of power trails, most of the numbers are meaningless and not any indication of any type of skill or accomplishment. However this person announces their find count immediately upon meeting anyone, which indicates they are living in some imaginary ego fed fantasy world, and you believe if anyone is irked by this that they are being rude? :D You know, that's how most politicians get elected..

Precisely.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Phone a friend or PAF.

Why? Doesn't your ego allow you to admit you couldn't find it and therefore post a DNF?

In general I agree with you but it's not always so black and white. I used a PAF once and that was a case where I got to GZ and it was obvious that bulldozer had recently changed the landscape and the PAF was mostly to ask "did there used to be a tree or some obvious hiding spot at GZ". My friend described a large tree (which I subsequently found about 150' away, as well as the cache). Based on response I got I was able to inform the CO that GZ was significantly changed and let them know where I found the cache. Sure, I got a +1 on my find count (not that I really care), but that PAF allowed the CO to quickly revisit the location and rehide the cache with corrected coordinates so that future seekers could find it.

With the advent of power trails, most of the numbers are meaningless and not any indication of any type of skill or accomplishment.

I guess you know something about this guy's actual accomplishments that I don't, but I'll stipulate that his claims outstrip his meaningful accomplishments.

However this person announces their find count immediately upon meeting anyone, which indicates they are living in some imaginary ego fed fantasy world, and you believe if anyone is irked by this that they are being rude? :D

Yeah, I guess you're right, that is what I'm saying: it's rude to be irked at someone for being immature. But my main point is that they'd be happier if they just decided not to be irked by braggarts, since someone with an inflated ego is more amusing than harmful.

Hey, Eric Stratton, 36,000 finds, dadgum glad to meet you. :laughing:

Edit...Seriously? That was funny w/o the needless censor.

Edited by Sharks-N-Beans

Phone a friend or PAF.

Why? Doesn't your ego allow you to admit you couldn't find it and therefore post a DNF?

Hm, I use PAF every so often. It has nothing to do with ego. I'm not hugely into the finding part. Sometimes I PAF just to have them look up info on the cache page for me. Sometimes I PAF and it's the cache owner and I just ask for a hint or to ask if I'm even heading in the right direction.

It's also a way to stay connected to my caching community. I'm not very good at calling or writing, so it's an excuse to talk to friends. Until a couple years ago, I had a steady PAF, unfortunately, he suddenly died and now I really miss our chats while I was looking for a cache.

Can I say something that irks me about myself? I am terrible at figuring out where to park! I guess I could hope for additional waypoints on caches where it's not obvious unless you know the area well, but I never see anyone mention it as a problem, so it must be me. :P

I find parking coordinates quite helpful, and I provide them on my caches. But be aware that some people consider finding access part of the game and intentionally leave you in the dark. And even COs that generally provide parking sometimes decide that, for a particular location, it might be fun to force you to work out the access for yourself. These are harder for cachers visiting an area, as I've discovered for myself from time to time, but them's the breaks.

Of course, most COs probably just don't think about it, and it's OK to be irked with them, just don't be irked with the ones that are doing it on purpose. :)

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go look for a yomp.

I like when CO posts parking coordinates when hides are in small parks or small public lands to assist geocachers from trespassing on private property. But I also accept that when a cache is hidden deep in a huge state forest like Wharton Forest, NJ I don't expect parking coordinates or trail markers. Finding the way in can be/is a fun aspect of the game.

With the advent of power trails, most of the numbers are meaningless and not any indication of any type of skill or accomplishment.

I guess you know something about this guy's actual accomplishments that I don't, but I'll stipulate that his claims outstrip his meaningful accomplishments.

Let me know the day that driving, stopping every 500 feet, and stumbling a few feet out of a air conditioned vehicle for several hours is more difficult than rapelling, kayaking, or hiking for several hours. Or better yet, the day I can not rack up thousands of finds from my armchair on those powertrails. The find count only shows a level of obsession, not skill.

However this person announces their find count immediately upon meeting anyone, which indicates they are living in some imaginary ego fed fantasy world, and you believe if anyone is irked by this that they are being rude? :D

Yeah, I guess you're right, that is what I'm saying: it's rude to be irked at someone for being immature. But my main point is that they'd be happier if they just decided not to be irked by braggarts, since someone with an inflated ego is more amusing than harmful.

Its not always amusing and can lead to being harmful especially if they are in a position of power.

But yes, it can be amusing.

How are you doing? I'm Jonathan Goldsmith. I make $357,922.93 per year, have several doctorate degrees, drive a Hummer, Cadillac, and a Shelby Cobra which runs 10s in the quarter mile. I have a wife who is a swimsuit model, as well as 4 kids who attend Ivy League colleges, and 3 mistresses. I go golfing with every judge in the county, and know dark secrets about every cop, as well as belong to 5 different secret societies. I can bench 350, and I also drink Dos Equis. :P You a geocacher? Well, let me tell you about my find count..

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Can I say I agree with you? B) I really do!!!

Numbers mean experience, mean you gone to many places and seen many caches... but does this makes you a superior or better person? NO!!!!!

Phone a friend or PAF.

Better than this, call the CO and ask him where the cache is... or even better, go with him!!!!

Where is the fun in that? :blink:

PS: I don´t PAF!

Phone a friend or PAF.

Better than this, call the CO and ask him where the cache is... or even better, go with him!!!!

Where is the fun in that? :blink:

One thing I've learned about geocaching is that different people get different things out of the experience. For some, searching for a hidden container isn't the fun part; it's just something they put up with so they can enjoy the hike, or the scenic view, or the historic location, or the trackables in the cache, or the trade items in the cache, or the additional smiley, or some other aspect of geocaching.

Let me know the day that driving, stopping every 500 feet, and stumbling a few feet out of a air conditioned vehicle for several hours is more difficult than rapelling, kayaking, or hiking for several hours. Or better yet, the day I can not rack up thousands of finds from my armchair on those powertrails. The find count only shows a level of obsession, not skill.

My point was that you seem to know that this guy's numbers are made up of power trails, while as far as I know, every single one of his finds involved either rapelling, kayaking, or hiking for several hours. But he was too humble to mention that.

Its not always amusing and can lead to being harmful especially if they are in a position of power.

What?! What does abusing a position of power have to do with bragging about find count?

How are you doing? I'm Jonathan Goldsmith. I make $357,922.93 per year, have several doctorate degrees, drive a Hummer, Cadillac, and a Shelby Cobra which runs 10s in the quarter mile. I have a wife who is a swimsuit model, as well as 4 kids who attend Ivy League colleges, and 3 mistresses. I go golfing with every judge in the county, and know dark secrets about every cop, as well as belong to 5 different secret societies. I can bench 350, and I also drink Dos Equis.

Exactly. It might be stupid, but it doesn't hurt anyone, so I suggest not imagining that it hurts you.

Can I say I agree with you? B) I really do!!!

Numbers mean experience, mean you gone to many places and seen many caches...

Not necessarily. A couple of years ago I was looking at some of the logs from geocachers that found caches on the E.T. Trail. I found on user that had a start day two days prior to their logs and had more finds that I've had in seven years. All of their finds where essentially identical containers, difficulty rating, hiding style and were within 100 feet or so of a road. I've found almost the same number of caches, but they include most of the D/T ratings, a large variety of container types, cache types, hiding styles and have been found in 26 different U.S. states and 20 different countries on four continents. Simply looking at the number of finds doesn't really tell you anything about experience.

I'm almost convinced that after 10,000 finds, you should either be kicked out of geocaching or you should be required to read and initial all the rules. So many with 10,000+ finds are the WORST offenders of poor game play (from chronic throw downs, to bad 'found it' caches that show they didn't find it, to not signing the log). It isn't personally they irk me (meet a few at events) but game play is simply horrid and it is irking!

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

Numbers mean experience, mean you gone to many places and seen many caches... but does this makes you a superior or better person? NO!!!!!

Numbers might have been an indicator of experience 4 or 5 years ago. But they mean absolutely nothing now. One can start geocaching today, rack up thousands of finds in a few days, and still not know a fraction about geocaching as someone with no finds who has been doing it for 9 years.

My point was that you seem to know that this guy's numbers are made up of power trails, while as far as I know, every single one of his finds involved either rapelling, kayaking, or hiking for several hours. But he was too humble to mention that.

Too humble to mention that? :D Then why did he mention his find count, as well as his state ranking? If the numbers dont mean anything, why did it become the first thing out of his mouth? I think you are reaching really far to defend him. I suppose if I let loose a healthy dose of flatulence loudly and announced how sweet it smelled, it would be rude for someone to be annoyed by that as well? This isn't much different. :P Its rather odd which party you have called rude.

What?! What does abusing a position of power have to do with bragging about find count?

You made a general statement that someone with an inflated ego is more amusing than harmful. This is rarely true, as abnormal large egos tend to get people into trouble. Believe it or not, most of the people in prison have an ego problem (as well as short tempers) In a car, massive egos are dangerous and often lead to road rage incidents. Ego clashes among the police and politicians are well documented. Now, I'm not saying that he is a problem, but most people get fed up and annoyed with large egos, and it is very rare that this would provide any form of amusement.

more

How are you doing? I'm Jonathan Goldsmith. I make $357,922.93 per year, have several doctorate degrees, drive a Hummer, Cadillac, and a Shelby Cobra which runs 10s in the quarter mile. I have a wife who is a swimsuit model, as well as 4 kids who attend Ivy League colleges, and 3 mistresses. I go golfing with every judge in the county, and know dark secrets about every cop, as well as belong to 5 different secret societies. I can bench 350, and I also drink Dos Equis.

Exactly. It might be stupid, but it doesn't hurt anyone, so I suggest not imagining that it hurts you.

I haven't imagined that it hurts me in any way. It irks and annoys people which is very different, and you believe that it is rude to be irked by this. We should be accepting of large egos, and tolerate them? Personally, I think you should just settle down, as I have been caching 8 years longer than you, and have a post count which is double yours. :P And I am only writing this because you

just laugh at them.

:D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

People who question EVERY point of view or post you make, esp. if you don't provide the proof (usually because people don't spend every second online and have a list of every reference or source they used to arrive as such a POV). Will say though, it is awesome when once time is available and can provide the proof/reference/link. BAM....IN YOUR FACE!

Something that does irk me is finding a NM on one of my caches with a mention that the log is full and needs replacing. I go out and check the log sheet only to find that one side of the sheet is full and the other side totally blank. It's happened more than once.

People who question EVERY point of view or post you make, esp. if you don't provide the proof (usually because people don't spend every second online and have a list of every reference or source they used to arrive as such a POV). Will say though, it is awesome when once time is available and can provide the proof/reference/link. BAM....IN YOUR FACE!

Can you point out someone that questioned EVERY point of view you've posted?

No some, but every. :lol:

Scribblers. Posting 2-page logs only because of that stupid scribbler diamond badge on some site.

I understand you want to share how cool the cache is, but do you really have to put the whole lifestory in it? Such logs makes my Garmin hang when trying to find some hint...

The same as above with physical logs. They take the whole page, and then you have to find a single row to place your log in, or somewhere 'between the letters', because the log has gotten full 10x faster as it should because of people taking 20x place they should.

Multis with unclear tasks, such as guess how something green on the picture is called (where you don't see anything green, what was green for the author) especially if it's in German because they can't decide if umlauts counts as single letter or 2 :D

Placing caches in unchecked places, which happen to be used as toilet for clochards/drivers/pedestrians. It really sucks if you have to go through the bushes and you don't see when you step and then eeeeek :(

Edited by paprotek

I remember a time I met a couple of geocachers in the field. One I recognised because I'd met him previously at an event. The other I didn't, so I said hello, we traded caching names and chatted a while. It wasn't until later I realised he was one of the most prolific cachers in the country. But for the purposes of a random encounter the fact he finds more caches in an average year than I found in a decade is irrelevant - he obviously didn't feel the need to mention it and it wouldn't have added any value to the conversation.

For the record he also has a tendency to write truly epic logs.

Scribblers. Posting 2-page logs only because of that stupid scribbler diamond badge on some site.

I understand you want to share how cool the cache is, but do you really have to put the whole lifestory in it? Such logs makes my Garmin hang when trying to find some hint...

The same as above with physical logs. They take the whole page, and then you have to find a single row to place your log in, or somewhere 'between the letters', because the log has gotten full 10x faster as it should because of people taking 20x place they should.

This reminds me of the time I found a nano near a pile of rocks at the end of a 30 minute climb up steps in the side of a mountain and a couple of miles of hiking. It had a nearly new log. As it happens the hide wasn't as tediously repetitive as I'd expected, which meant a rapid fading of the desire to unroll the log and write "thank you so much for bringing me to this lovely location to hunt a nano. Found it with a group at half past two in the afternoon on a lovely sunny day. thanks for the hide" so I could log a Find and NM on it because the log was full, and let the owner make the trek up the steps again. I bet that would have irked somebody :ph34r:

Placing caches in unchecked places, which happen to be used as toilet for clochards/drivers/pedestrians. It really sucks if you have to go through the bushes and you don't see when you step and then eeeeek :(

It irks me more when caches say "stealth required" and are hidden in a way where it isn't humanly possible to retrieve it without either looking Very Unusual Indeed, or taking a chance on the local yob activity and going past a dodgy looking area at silly-past-dark-o-clock. Or the ones that take you down a turning off an alleyway that obviously doesn't go anywhere, where muggles can and do appear regularly and without warning, and there's no reason anyone would normally be studying the electricity sub station in as much detail as you'd have to in order to find the cache.