What Irks you most?

I don't care much for micro's and having to crawl around in mud, snow, broken glass, sticker bushes, dog piss, but I digress. to find some magnetic tiny can stuck on the bottom of something. And then realizing you forgot to bring you own pencil.

But for me, and my pet peeve. I ended up pulling all my caches when the price of ammo cans started to increase. They became targets for geo~thieves. Stealing your ammo can and dumping your cache out in the dirt. Bloody Pirates!

Its really starting to irk me with some of the requests for changes on the site or the apps. People are getting so lazy they want the site to do all the work for them. Like change the color of the pin on the map if its a DNF. Duhhhh, If it shows on your map, without a smiley, guess what, you haven't found it. Then the ones that want the phones to do this or that so they don't have to push another button or two. Then the ones that want things done automatically so they don't have to do whatever. I am surprised that these people have enough energy to get out of their cars and walk to gz. LOL

I would like to see the site change the logging requirements to be at least ten words long. So that it wouldn't accept a log of TFTC or just a smiley face. Wouldn't that be nice? At least people would have to type 10 words to get a smiley. I think any cache is worth 10 words. All I am seeing anymore it seems is the TFTC Ok I feel better now.

Many caches just aren't worth two words let alone ten.

I have of cache that generally gets good logs, and a couple of cachers have said that it was one of the best caches they've ever found. It still gets an occasional TFTC log.

I also have a cache that is difficult to reach and only logs a few finds per year. It often gets positive comments and long, descriptive logs - because getting to GZ is an adventure in itself. Occasionally someone will log TFTC, but not often.

But a cache that has 90% TFTC logs is bound to be a magnet on a guardrail or sign post along a forgettable stretch of roadway or a strip-mall parking lot. It probably logs lots of quick finds, and quick logs to go with it. Nothing wrong with that. An effortless hide, and effortless find, and an effortless log. The trifecta of easy caching.

But for me, and my pet peeve. I ended up pulling all my caches when the price of ammo cans started to increase. They became targets for geo~thieves. Stealing your ammo can and dumping your cache out in the dirt. Bloody Pirates!
Yeah, a friend of mine got back into the game after a brief hiatus and is in the process of getting his caches back in shape. One of his complaints was that all of his ammo cans had been stolen, even the ones that had concrete poured into them or had things welded to them or had something else done to them to make them less useful for non-geocaching purposes.

I won an ammo can at an event recently, and I'm really not sure what to do with it. A regular-size Lock N Lock container would be cheaper to replace, and less likely to be stolen in the first place.

If I do a LPC, what do you want me to say?

How about, "Your cache is a testament to mundania. Tha motto of Groundspeak is, 'The Language Of Location'. Can you share with the rest of the world why this boring lamp post, smack dab in the middle of a 500 acre, exhaust laden, sweltering, blacktop hell, was so special that it rated a geocache? Please, for the love of Gaia, if you insist on utterly boring people to tears, (which is certainly your right), could you stick to such hobbies as watching paint dry, or listening to grass grow, and leave the geocache placements to those who are not afraid to walk more than 5' from their air conditioned SUV? Thanks."

Hey! :mad: Someone placed a cache & hopefully maintains it. Don't like it? Don't seek it! I've done a memorable 75 minute hike B) and 30 second finds. :) Don't always have an hour to spare. Take a quick photo or make a short comment on your trip. Examples:

74401da9-a863-45be-9b85-fc21e6c08071.jpg

42fd6917-f5c7-42d8-a66a-776fbcfdaa3a.jpg

• Upvote 1
Yeah, a friend of mine got back into the game after a brief hiatus and is in the process of getting his caches back in shape. One of his complaints was that all of his ammo cans had been stolen, even the ones that had concrete poured into them or had things welded to them or had something else done to them to make them less useful for non-geocaching purposes.

I won an ammo can at an event recently, and I'm really not sure what to do with it. A regular-size Lock N Lock container would be cheaper to replace, and less likely to be stolen in the first place.

Good container? Make the hide premium & engrave your name or the GC # on it.

Good container? Make the hide premium & engrave your name or the GC # on it.

Let's see... At thirty bucks for my pm, using my phone, pqs with all the other bells n whistles associated with never coming up on those pesky audits, gas and a little time, the many ammo cans around me would amount to less than a buck a piece.

- Not a bad deal...

If poured concrete doesn't do it, I don't think "engraving" a name's gonna help too much...

Someone placed a cache & hopefully maintains it.

Someone placed a turd. They either don't know their cache sucks, in which case such a log could prove to be quite educational, or they don't care that their cache sucks, in which case they are well deserving of the critique.

Don't like it? Don't seek it!

Brilliant advice! Gosh! Why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes:

Say, while I've got you here... :huh:

Could you dove into that brilliance and offer a bit of advice? :unsure:

Unless I physically locate the cache, how can I know if I'll like it or not? <_<

I have had ammo boxes stolen that I had chained and locked to trees. So now I no longer hide ammo cans. Even if the ammo can does not get stolen all the contents get taken by cachers that do not replace things that they take.

Well, it was cold here, with a foot of snow on the ground, so we decided to go looking for the Snowy Day series. Unfortunately, they were identical to the Rainy Day series that we did last year. Same location. Same container (except for the two throw-downs). Even the same log book! Recycle caches. Really sad. Maybe in six months, they'll be recycled as 'Sunny Day caches'? If so, they go on my Ignore List!

They were not even particularly winter friendly. Dig through a foot of snow for the film canister at the base of the sign?

Oh, well. I've learnt my lesson.

Its really starting to irk me with some of the requests for changes on the site or the apps. People are getting so lazy they want the site to do all the work for them. Like change the color of the pin on the map if its a DNF. Duhhhh, If it shows on your map, without a smiley, guess what, you haven't found it. Then the ones that want the phones to do this or that so they don't have to push another button or two. Then the ones that want things done automatically so they don't have to do whatever. I am surprised that these people have enough energy to get out of their cars and walk to gz. LOL

I would like to see the site change the logging requirements to be at least ten words long. So that it wouldn't accept a log of TFTC or just a smiley face. Wouldn't that be nice? At least people would have to type 10 words to get a smiley. I think any cache is worth 10 words. All I am seeing anymore it seems is the TFTC Ok I feel better now.

You want people to stop suggesting improvements to the site and/or app, but you want to require people to post 10 word comments? Seriously? If I do a LPC, what do you want me to say?

"Wow, that was a really challenging cache. I'm so glad you brought me out here to the middle of a parking lot. Took nothing/left nothing, cause honestly nothing would fit inside your bison tube anyway. Log is full and soaked so I added another piece of paper that will become wet. I'd post a Needs Maintenance log, but I see your cache already has three that you've ignored for 6 months. Replaced under the only obvious spot within 100 meters. Thanks for the cache!"

I'm more than happy to write up a few paragraphs on a cache that was fun/challenging/took me to a nice spot. If cache owners want interesting dialogue on their cache pages, try hiding interesting caches!

I agree, I put as much thought and effort into my logs as the hider put into the cache. An LPC usually gets a "TFTC". It took the hider and whole 2 minutes for the hide, I'm not going to write a story. I found a LPC and the log was wet, so my log simple said "Log is wet". The hider posted on our local Facebook geocaching group, complaining about my short log. So I updated my log to please her. It got a lot of laughs and I think I made my point. LOL. Here's the link, my log was post 10/24/2013

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3YA82_2-new-k-on-the-block?Submit6=Go

Edited by WhoDis

LOL. Looks like your sarcasm was missed by them, they just wanted to hear the magic four letters "TFTC" for their creative hide.

No, they got my point. They wasn't going to say anything after all the ridicule they took on FB. They have several accounts and over a thousand hides, seriously over a thousand. Most of them are LPC, guardrails, and film containers in pine trees. They have flooded the area with them. It's a shame that the have covered every wildlife area with them, and I mean covered, there isn't room to put a decent cache. They have so many hides that they can't possibly keep up maintenance on them. A new area opened here and the immediately covered it, obviously without permission, because when they found out, they made them remove them all and now there is no caching allowed there.

I agree, I put as much thought and effort into my logs as the hider put into the cache. An LPC usually gets a "TFTC". It took the hider and whole 2 minutes for the hide, I'm not going to write a story. I found a LPC and the log was wet, so my log simple said "Log is wet". The hider posted on our local Facebook geocaching group, complaining about my short log. So I updated my log to please her. It got a lot of laughs and I think I made my point. LOL. Here's the link, my log was post 10/24/2013

http://www.geocachin...lock?Submit6=Go

laugh.gif I laughed out loud.

LOL. Looks like your sarcasm was missed by them, they just wanted to hear the magic four letters "TFTC" for their creative hide.

No, they got my point. They wasn't going to say anything after all the ridicule they took on FB. They have several accounts and over a thousand hides, seriously over a thousand. Most of them are LPC, guardrails, and film containers in pine trees. They have flooded the area with them. It's a shame that the have covered every wildlife area with them, and I mean covered, there isn't room to put a decent cache. They have so many hides that they can't possibly keep up maintenance on them. A new area opened here and the immediately covered it, obviously without permission, because when they found out, they made them remove them all and now there is no caching allowed there.

I think some people see geocaching as a form of land acquisition.

People who report caches just because they can't find them. Maintained another cache last night, which was laying on the ground (it had fallen out of a hole in a tree.) Honestly, I spotted it within seconds of arriving at a GZ. It's back in the hole, though I may have to attach some fishing line to it to keep birds/squirrels from ousting it.

....They have so many hides that they can't possibly keep up maintenance on them.

That's crazy... over 1000 hides? over 23,000 finds? I've heard that caching is all about the numbers for some people, but that just doesn't even seem like it'd be any fun. At that point, it's a job. An unpaid job.

To each their own, I guess.

You want people to stop suggesting improvements to the site and/or app, but you want to require people to post 10 word comments? Seriously? If I do a LPC, what do you want me to say?

"Wow, that was a really challenging cache. I'm so glad you brought me out here to the middle of a parking lot. Took nothing/left nothing, cause honestly nothing would fit inside your bison tube anyway. Log is full and soaked so I added another piece of paper that will become wet. I'd post a Needs Maintenance log, but I see your cache already has three that you've ignored for 6 months. Replaced under the only obvious spot within 100 meters. Thanks for the cache!"

I'm more than happy to write up a few paragraphs on a cache that was fun/challenging/took me to a nice spot. If cache owners want interesting dialogue on their cache pages, try hiding interesting caches!

That log is goooooood! :lol:

Unfortunately, i wouldn't be surprised if the CO took it as a compliment. He's probably out right this minute, scouring every parking lot trying to find an even straighter pole. :blink:

....They have so many hides that they can't possibly keep up maintenance on them.

That's crazy... over 1000 hides? over 23,000 finds? I've heard that caching is all about the numbers for some people, but that just doesn't even seem like it'd be any fun. At that point, it's a job. An unpaid job.

To each their own, I guess.

Well, I don't know that I'd believe those numbers completely. They had an event when her sister came to visit and her sister logged a couple hundred of her caches. Last I heard, no one has ever seen an actual signature on a log. I was the next finder on several and there was no signature. Another cacher deleted several duplicate finds on his caches from them, boy they didn't like that, it was another nasty post on FB. LOL. So morals don't seem to really come into play here.

i clicked on the link to read your log - that cache is a premium only one. i have to be sure to update my membership so i can hunt an LPC.

"The skirt lifted with ease and made that lovely sound that they tend to make, like fingernails on a chalkboard. Might as well been the angels in heaven singing their beautiful song."

Bahahahaha!!!

I'm honestly surprised at all the mentions of microcaches. I actually prefer those and feel they have a lower impact than larger plastic caches.

I would say the following irks me:

1. CO's using ammo cases in areas where those cases are constantly being stolen

2. people stealing coins and tags

3. caches placed in spots that are so thick with muggles that they cant be reasonably grabbed without revealing the hiding spot

4. climbing trees for caches

I'm honestly surprised at all the mentions of microcaches. I actually prefer those and feel they have a lower impact than larger plastic caches.

1. CO's using ammo cases in areas where those cases are constantly being stolen...

and that is whose fault again? the CO? how about if we place the blame on the cretins that steal the ammo cans.

as for microcaches....you have to go back to the beginning of geocaching — hide a bucket - find a bucket. hide an ammo can. find an ammo can. in the bucket/can are treasures. take a treasure, leave a treasure. it was a treasure hunt hopefully in areas that are neat to find for whatever reason. a hike into a desert canyon. up a mountain. around the river bend...

finding treasure was the fun part. even if the treasure was a homemade sig item. or a coin. or a hot wheels race car. or a book. an action figure - that you can turn into a travel bug.

then treasure turned to trash. a cache that was rated as small - as in a small tupperware container - still big enough for a coin, a log book, a pin... became a film canister with no room. maybe for a marble.

i see it as a devolution, others who like power trails see it all as an evolution. depends on your point of view i guess. i tried a small power trail or at least a long string of caches pounded into the ground. b.o.r.i.n.g.

one was kinda neat. near an old billboard. it was SO cleverly hidden - you couldn't even see its well-camouflaged top in the rest of the garbage. cool.

i think i like ammo cans in the wild.

or tupperware ...

all caches are valid within the paradigm of the seeker.

1. CO's using ammo cases in areas where those cases are constantly being stolen...

and that is whose fault again? the CO? how about if we place the blame on the cretins that steal the ammo cans.

as for microcaches....you have to go back to the beginning of geocaching — hide a bucket - find a bucket. hide an ammo can. find an ammo can. in the bucket/can are treasures. take a treasure, leave a treasure. it was a treasure hunt hopefully in areas that are neat to find for whatever reason. a hike into a desert canyon. up a mountain. around the river bend...

finding treasure was the fun part. even if the treasure was a homemade sig item. or a coin. or a hot wheels race car. or a book. an action figure - that you can turn into a travel bug.

then treasure turned to trash. a cache that was rated as small - as in a small tupperware container - still big enough for a coin, a log book, a pin... became a film canister with no room. maybe for a marble.

i see it as a devolution, others who like power trails see it all as an evolution. depends on your point of view i guess. i tried a small power trail or at least a long string of caches pounded into the ground. b.o.r.i.n.g.

one was kinda neat. near an old billboard. it was SO cleverly hidden - you couldn't even see its well-camouflaged top in the rest of the garbage. cool.

or tupperware ...

I really like this post!

or tupperware ...

I really like this post!

I do too. :D

Well, except for the liking of tupperware. Not too fond of that container since they don't tend to hold up that well in the wild.

or tupperware ...

I really like this post!

I do too. :D

Well, except for the liking of tupperware. Not too fond of that container since they don't tend to hold up that well in the wild.

that's true. they take a bit more maintenance. those nice plastic boxes with locks on the sides seemed to work well.

People who keep geocoins, even though they are meant to keep moving along...

I'm new to this, but... I found a geocoin, and looked it up, and the website says that you CAN let it travel, but they are meant for you to KEEP them. is the general consensus on etiquette for this different?

I'm new to this, but... I found a geocoin, and looked it up, and the website says that you CAN let it travel, but they are meant for you to KEEP them. is the general consensus on etiquette for this different?

Did it say, "Trackable on geocaching.com"?

Unless it's a gift, geocoins trackable through geocaching.com are meant to move on to other caches.

If not and the coin is on the small side and says it's a "tag", it could be (yet another) side game not affiliated with Groundspeak. The rules there are different. You can keep tags.

Here's one: COs who write (or later edit) a description that contradicts the actual cache info. For example, I did a PQ for large caches in my area, and almost half of them say "this is a small tupperware container" or "this is now a micro." Grrrr.
Yeah, and related to this are the caches that include a "You're looking for a [whatever]" in the cache description, but the container has been replaced by something completely different, and the description hasn't been updated to reflect the new container.

What irks me a lot - there are people that loudly encourages other geocachers to hide nice and creative caches, and to 'share your experience' in logs - and then they go hunting for and posts short 'Found, has taken a while, nice quiz' log for tricky puzzle with really clever hide (when I know that they were looking for cache for 30 mins).

And another people - team that posts FP only inside their 'Mutual Adoration Club' - not that I think FP are so important, but I see that as a way to promote good caches, not as a FB_Like things they turned FP into.

Anyway, I can live with both and still have fun with caching ;)

hi my two little irks are "no hint avaliable" especially as there are so many new cachers out there, but my biggest is not replacing wet,soggy or full log books, i have just replaced my 889th log book since 2004. but you can bet somebody will answer with its the cache owners job to maintain their caches. we ara all in the same community so it would be nice to help each other. jeff=bones1.

hi my two little irks are "no hint avaliable" especially as there are so many new cachers out there, but my biggest is not replacing wet,soggy or full log books, i have just replaced my 889th log book since 2004. but you can bet somebody will answer with its the cache owners job to maintain their caches. we ara all in the same community so it would be nice to help each other.
I have left my share of extra log sheets in caches, but it's the cache owners' job to maintain their caches.

(So, what did you win?)

I'm in the mood to complain this morning, so I figured this was the thread to do it in :D

What irks me is caches like this - GC4CAZV.

A difficult challenge (for me at least) to qualify for only to bring you to a street sign on a busy road with a bison tube wedged up in it.

If you're going to put out a tough challenge, at least make the final hide worth my while.

I'm in the mood to complain this morning, so I figured this was the thread to do it in :D

A difficult challenge (for me at least) to qualify for only to bring you to a street sign on a busy road with a bison tube wedged up in it.

If you're going to put out a tough challenge, at least make the final hide worth my while.

Wow, and it's a letterbox challenge and it's not even a letterbox. Sad. I had a bit of an irk with a cemetery challenge - which I qualify for but decided to put on my ignore list - because it's a park n grab roadside cache no where near a cemetery. Why applaud a certain cache style then plant something that doesn't match the theme?

Wow, and it's a letterbox challenge and it's not even a letterbox. Sad. I had a bit of an irk with a cemetery challenge - which I qualify for but decided to put on my ignore list - because it's a park n grab roadside cache no where near a cemetery. Why applaud a certain cache style then plant something that doesn't match the theme?

I couldn't agree more. I had been eying up the challenge for quite some time and worked hard at qualifying. I never bothered to check the map on where it was, but it was listed as 3.5 terrain so I just assumed it would be a halfway decent hike. Boy was I wrong.

Plus, you've received credit for doing a 2/3.5, which was actually a 1/1.5. Personally, I think the D/T on challenges should reflect the hide, not an accumulation of all of the qualifying caches. If that was a 11 stage multi in several states, the D/T would be higher than 2/3.5 anyhow.

hi my two little irks are "no hint avaliable" especially as there are so many new cachers out there, but my biggest is not replacing wet,soggy or full log books, i have just replaced my 889th log book since 2004. but you can bet somebody will answer with its the cache owners job to maintain their caches. we ara all in the same community so it would be nice to help each other. jeff=bones1.

I can see high difficulty caches having no hint, as they're supposed to be hard and new cachers probably won't go after those anyway. But yes, I hate standing in front of what should be a D1.5 or 2 and not seeing it, and not having a hint to point me in the right direction. We have a lot of rock bluffs and steep hills around here, and the terrain ratings don't always accurately reflect if the cache is high or low. A hint would be nice!

I just put out a cache, and it's my first with no hint. But it's a five gallon bucket under a fake plastic rock in the middle of a prairie (recently burned; literally nothing else there), and hopefully very obvious. Yet it still feels weird that it doesn't have a hint, even though it's the only thing within sight that could hold a large cache. I guess since I put it out to be a family friendly starter cache, I should put a hint anyway.

Plus, you've received credit for doing a 2/3.5, which was actually a 1/1.5. Personally, I think the D/T on challenges should reflect the hide, not an accumulation of all of the qualifying caches. If that was a 11 stage multi in several states, the D/T would be higher than 2/3.5 anyhow.

I do agree that the difficulty and terrain rating should reflect the actual difficulty and terrain rating of the cache, although I do believe the difficulty rating should at least reflect some aspect of how difficult the challenge is. That's my opinion though. I do feel cheated on that letterbox challenge. What's even worse is the same CO has a "test of terrain and difficulty" challenge where you need to find a 1/1,1.5/1.5,2/2.....etc.... All the way through 5/5 in one day. Imagine how cheated I felt when I found the film canister with the wet log at the base of a stop sign.

Edited by Traditional Bill

•  
  • Caches that are listed as "small" but are really "micro". (I like leaving things in caches)
  • Micro caches (or any cache) with a log that isn't even an inch wide. How many lines am I allowed to use to sign and date the blasted thing?
  • Micro caches in general, unless in a really special place. You can hide a micro cache anywhere, no brains or real thought required. (Things like strings of micro caches 300 feet apart are really irksome)
  • Hides that are out in the middle of muggle land, with no warning of same. If I wanted to stand in the middle of a parking lot, scraping around under bushes with people staring at me, I'd get a job as a gardener. (And yes, I have used that disguise to find a cache without people wondering what the heck I was doing, but I need the warning. I don't carry my electrician's uniform and my gardener's rakes and my road transit and my clipboard for every cache, you know....)
  • Caches that require bushwhacking in areas where there shouldn't be any.
  • A paper box used for a cache container. I don't care if it is the desert, it still rains.
  • Nebulous cache sizes. I can't tell you how many times I've picked up a travel bug, wanting to put it in a certain cache I've had my eye on, then find that CO's version of "Medium" is a film canister. I'd really like a "Travel Bug" size for caches....

Here's one: COs who write (or later edit) a description that contradicts the actual cache info. For example, I did a PQ for large caches in my area, and almost half of them say "this is a small tupperware container" or "this is now a micro." Grrrr.
Yeah, and related to this are the caches that include a "You're looking for a [whatever]" in the cache description, but the container has been replaced by something completely different, and the description hasn't been updated to reflect the new container.

I think that most people don't know that they can edit their caches description, size, or even the coordinates. Most simply put this information in a note log, which quickly scrolls off the page.

Stuff like this should be in the Weekly newsletter. Jayme?

Edited by Don_J

What irks me a lot - there are people that loudly encourages other geocachers to hide nice and creative caches, and to 'share your experience' in logs - and then they go hunting for and posts short 'Found, has taken a while, nice quiz' log for tricky puzzle with really clever hide (when I know that they were looking for cache for 30 mins).

And another people - team that posts FP only inside their 'Mutual Adoration Club' - not that I think FP are so important, but I see that as a way to promote good caches, not as a FB_Like things they turned FP into.

Anyway, I can live with both and still have fun with caching ;)

I put this into Google Translate, but it can't figure out what language it is.

If you find an unactivated TB/geocoin, those are meant to be gifts and you can keep them, otherwise they are owned by someone and are meant to travel from cache to cache.

You will occasionally find a pathtag in a cache but those are created by a company not associated with Groundspeak. Those are meant to be collectable.

Back on topic:

This one is on me, so....

When I travel, I usually will go through and solve some puzzles and start earmarking highly favorited and noteworthy caches in the area and put them all in a bookmark. I usually end up with more caches than I'll find. So, what's so bad about that? Nothing, except I end up running PQ's for the area and end up with thousands of caches in my GPS....and the ones I had in a bookmark get dumped in with all the others and I end up not finding most of them because I forgot the name and they're too far away to come up when searching for a nearby cache. From now on, I'm only loading the caches I want to find.

• Nebulous cache sizes. I can't tell you how many times I've picked up a travel bug, wanting to put it in a certain cache I've had my eye on, then find that CO's version of "Medium" is a film canister. I'd really like a "Travel Bug" size for caches....

That irks me as well. Especially while out of state, I try to pick "safe" caches to drop trackables into but when you find a cache that you think will end up holding a TB and it's way too small, I'll end up running out of options and will drop the TB/coin in the first cache that will hold it. Not always the best choice.

I do agree that the difficulty and terrain rating should reflect the actual difficulty and terrain rating of the cache, although I do believe the difficulty rating should at least reflect some aspect of how difficult the challenge is. That's my opinion though. I do feel cheated on that letterbox challenge. What's even worse is the same CO has a "test of terrain and difficulty" challenge where you need to find a 1/1,1.5/1.5,2/2.....etc.... All the way through 5/5 in one day. Imagine how cheated I felt when I found the film canister with the wet log at the base of a stop sign.

Time to learn how to use the Ignore list.