What Irks you most?

The icons move intentionally. It's built into the .klm file. Supposedly, this was done so folks wouldn't be able to accurately pinpoint cache locations at a glance. :unsure: Maybe? At best, the icons give you a rough idea of what is where. But if you copy/paste the coordinates from the cache page onto Google Earth, creating a waypoint, that will not move as you zoom in and out.

I don't know why anyone would rely on Google Maps. Every time I use it the icon keeps jumping around as I move in. Going to caches I have found and know for a fact where they are, the icon never seems to actually be on the cache and it will jump to several locations and be off as much as a couple hundred feet. That doesn't instill confidence in me. It might suggest a place to park and a trail to take once I'm on site with my GPS pointing where I should go but I wouldn't trust it beyond that.

The cache locations on GoogleEarth are intentionally dithered and they will move around as one pans the image.

The cache location on the GoogleMap page that loads after one clicks on the link from a cache page plots exactly on the provided coordinate. The tricky thing is that in some locations, the Google maps are right on. In other locations, they are at least one hundred yards off. For example, Google maps are right on down to the tree in Anchorage. However, just sixty miles away in Turnagain Park, the Google map is at least one hundred yards off. I noticed this when the imagery put one of my new caches in a roadside outhouse when in actuality it was behind a boulder along a trail. So, it definitely helps to know where in your area the maps/satellite imagery are aligned properly and where they are not.

That's interesting to know. Thanks. Would have been helpful to have that info while we were out as I would have known the spot the GPS indicated was GZ was wrong and we wouldn't have spent a half hour looking. On the other hand, I wouldn't have looked there before going there anyway. I'm not sure the wife would have wanted to walk another half mile with the trip back being up hill. Maybe we'll try it again for our 50th anniversary. :lol:

Posting spoilers to puzzles without the owners consent, leading to archival- GC4B3NA. If you cannot solve it, then ignore it. Believing you are entitled to disrespect the person who created it, out of lazyness or arrogance is a bad idea.

Thanks Fool.. A lot of time and money went into our puzzle's creation only to have it spoiled in a few days. So it was archived. We figured out who submitted it to the "spoiler" and she was confronted.. She got nervous and squealed on another "famous" cacher in the area then produced his list of coordinates to local puzzles. She then disappeared from the scene for 3-4 months.. Unfortunately, she's back once again thinking that it's been forgotten. Her reputation will always precede her.

So fool, we can't agree with you more.

What about CO's who place a decent cache and maybe they place many good ones? However, when they go missing they allow DNF's to pile up, somebody to post a "needs maintenance," another to post

a "needs archival," and then the Admin to disable for two months, and then the Admin to archive for lack of response from CO. That irks me. Either replace or archive your own caches.

Edited by RenMin

New cachers that place caches (without finds) and then just disappears.

Not having correct coordinates, and not updating them.

Cachers who say "coords are off" and don't include better coords in their logs.

Hiders who wait til a cache is published to go out and hide the cache.

I read on here about wet logs. Well COs can't know they are wet until someone says so. So what irks me is why cachers don't help out by carrying spare logsheets.

COs who place caches and ignore the guidelines or think about if where they placed it will do damage of some kind.

Cachers replacing caches without permission

What about CO's who place a decent cache and maybe they place many good ones? However, when they go missing they allow DNF's to pile up, somebody to post a "needs maintenance," another to post

a "needs archival," and then the Admin to disable for two months, and then the Admin to archive for lack of response from CO. That irks me. Either replace or archive your own caches.

That reminds me.

COs who quit caching and don't do anything about their hides. As RenMin said, Adopt out or archive.

That reminds me.

COs who quit caching and don't do anything about their hides. As RenMin said, Adopt out or archive.

It's Fine to say that but like with most hobbies and the people who stop doing them, they lose interest over time or other things get in the way and geo caching is not at the front of their mind. It's not as though they wake up one morning and say "I've had enough of this, and bugger that cache, it can stay where it is."

Meanwhile, they place 50 new caches in that two month period between the reviewer note and the reviewer archival. That's what irks me.

I read on here about wet logs. Well COs can't know they are wet until someone says so. So what irks me is why cachers don't help out by carrying spare logsheets.

Cachers who use containers that are not suitable for the outdoors and then complain that other cachers don't replace their wet logs for them. That's what irks me.

Posting spoilers to puzzles without the owners consent, leading to archival- GC4B3NA. If you cannot solve it, then ignore it. Believing you are entitled to disrespect the person who created it, out of lazyness or arrogance is a bad idea.

Thanks Fool.. A lot of time and money went into our puzzle's creation only to have it spoiled in a few days. So it was archived. We figured out who submitted it to the "spoiler" and she was confronted.. She got nervous and squealed on another "famous" cacher in the area then produced his list of coordinates to local puzzles. She then disappeared from the scene for 3-4 months.. Unfortunately, she's back once again thinking that it's been forgotten. Her reputation will always precede her.

Unfortunately, there's a whole group of people who treat puzzles like this. The only effort they put in is in finding the cache because they got the coordinates from a list of the area's puzzles. It's really discouraging for those who enjoy solving and creating puzzles.

My notion is that if you can't/don't want to solve puzzles, either ask for help in solving or stick to traditionals.

Cachers who use containers that are not suitable for the outdoors and then complain that other cachers don't replace their wet logs for them. That's what irks me.

It's not a cache finder's responsibility to maintain your cache for you. Their job is simply to find your cache, sign the log and replace as found. It's a courtesy if they replace the log for you, yes, but ultimately it's the cache owner's responsibility per cache maintenance guidelines.

Unfortunately, there's a whole group of people who treat puzzles like this. The only effort they put in is in finding the cache because they got the coordinates from a list of the area's puzzles. It's really discouraging for those who enjoy solving and creating puzzles.

My notion is that if you can't/don't want to solve puzzles, either ask for help in solving or stick to traditionals.

I have logged finds on puzzle caches that the person I was hiking with had solved, knowing that this was not an issue with the cache owner. My name has also been on the log of a local puzzle for the last six years and I have not logged it because I know that while the owner would never delete it and has even told me outright that I can log it, he would really prefer that I had solved it first and I respect that.

That reminds me.

It's Fine to say that but like with most hobbies and the people who stop doing them, they lose interest over time or other things get in the way and geo caching is not at the front of their mind. It's not as though they wake up one morning and say "I've had enough of this, and bugger that cache, it can stay where it is."

In many cases, with a bit harsher language, that's exactly what they say.

Not sure why anyone would get irked up about this. Sure i can try to help out at times but the bottom line is that it's not my responsibility to do this.

I'm sure this has been mentioned at least once but i'll repeat it again. It irks me that people are too insecure to log their DNFs. These logs are not something to be afraid or ashamed of. On the contrary, they help by letting the cache owner and others know that there may be a problem with the cache. They are also part of a cache's history!

What would you consider a Deadly Sin in geocaching? What irks you most? I'm compiling a list for an event...

Getting to a geocache and either having no pen or my pencil has broken!!Most of my irks are towards myself.

"If only I had......." The last time out geocaching a walker's map would have shown me that the caches were on alternate banks of a river going north!!! Bah!!!

It's not a cache finder's responsibility to maintain your cache for you. Their job is simply to find your cache, sign the log and replace as found. It's a courtesy if they replace the log for you, yes, but ultimately it's the cache owner's responsibility per cache maintenance guidelines.

True but if someone finds one and replaces it, it helps out the next cacher who finds it before the CO can get out there. They asked what irks me and yes it does no matter who's responsiblity.

What would you consider a Deadly Sin in geocaching? What irks you most? I'm compiling a list for an event...

Getting to a geocache and either having no pen or my pencil has broken!!

I've gotten a lot of logs (even from experienced cachers): "No pen in cache so I didn't sign"

Um, thanks for sharing... :unsure:

Sometimes it sounds like a complaint, which is annoying. I'm not obligated to supply pens to everybody, OK. :rolleyes: Other times, I just feel sorry for them. I mean, the cache is a micro and you're surprised (and possibly indignant) that there's no pen? :blink:

Always, always bring a pen with you when caching. Fill your backpack, fill your car, duct tape one to your GPS, whatever you have to do.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

That reminds me.

Too bad. Placing a geocache is a commitment. The emails should be going to an address you check regularly. If there's a string of DNFs, it's easy enough to take 2 seconds to archive the dadgum thing. Only excuse for not being able to do that is if you're dead.

Getting to a geocache and either having no pen or my pencil has broken!!

I've gotten a lot of logs (even from experienced cachers): "No pen in cache so I didn't sign"

Um, thanks for sharing... :unsure:

Sometimes it sounds like a complaint, which is annoying. I'm not obligated to supply pens to everybody, OK. :rolleyes: Other times, I just feel sorry for them. I mean, the cache is a micro and you're surprised (and possibly indignant) that there's no pen? :blink:

Always, always bring a pen with you when caching. Fill your backpack, fill your car, duct tape one to your GPS, whatever you have to do.

Traditionally you could always expect a pencil in a cache. Even micros. They contained cut down pencils (take an exacto knife or little saw and cut the pencil to fit the film canister - no nanos back in the olden-golden-days). About 5 years ago, pencils suddenly became a rare commodity.

That reminds me.

Too bad. Placing a geocache is a commitment. The emails should be going to an address you check regularly. If there's a string of DNFs, it's easy enough to take 2 seconds to archive the dadgum thing. Only excuse for not being able to do that is if you're dead.

+1

Hmmm. Let me get this straight. If purchase or make a cache container, find a great interesting location with a good tale to go with it, get permission for the hide, write up and submit the cache for publication and perhaps provide some cool swag, it is ALSO my responsibility to provide you with a writing instrument. Hmmm. Interesting.

Let's take this further. Since I have completed all the above and, therefore, enticed you to geocache it is also my responsibility to provide the following for you: a premium membership to geocaching.com, geocaching app for your smartphone, a smartphone, the latest gpsr, a reliable vehicle (preferably 4-wheel drive), unlimited supply of fuel, a few bucks from time to time for a cup of java, some excellent hiking boots and, while we're at it, tent, backpack and other camping equipment. Ooooh! How about a ticket to Seattle so you can visit HQ to sign the big log.

Nope. If I put a pen in a container it is a fluke. I feel absolutely no more need to provide this service than I would to set up a free lemonade stand next to my cache. Furthermore, I do not feel compelled to remind you to Bring Your Own Pen, Wear Your Own Underwear, Pick Your Own nose.

And ... Have a nice day! :)

• Love 1

That reminds me.

Dead, or a Zombie. I read on the Internets that Abe Lincoln banned Zombies from the Internet.

If it's on the Internets, it must be true... :ph34r:

Hmmm. Let me get this straight. If purchase or make a cache container, find a great interesting location with a good tale to go with it, get permission for the hide, write up and submit the cache for publication and perhaps provide some cool swag, it is ALSO my responsibility to provide you with a writing instrument.

Nope, no one is responsible for providing a writing instrument. It's just a nice addition to the cache and for some reason early pioneers of this game never gave it a thought, it was just one of those things you included in a cache. Doesn't cost much - 12 pencils for a dollar at the dollar store and it can be cut down into 3 pencils - so that would be 36 small pencils for $1. Doesn't seem like an extra hardship when one is creating a quality cache experience. There's no obligation to provide a pencil, just polishes off a quality cache experience IMO.

Hmmm. Let me get this straight. If purchase or make a cache container, find a great interesting location with a good tale to go with it, get permission for the hide, write up and submit the cache for publication and perhaps provide some cool swag, it is ALSO my responsibility to provide you with a writing instrument.

Nope, no one is responsible for providing a writing instrument. It's just a nice addition to the cache and for some reason early pioneers of this game never gave it a thought, it was just one of those things you included in a cache. Doesn't cost much - 12 pencils for a dollar at the dollar store and it can be cut down into 3 pencils - so that would be 36 small pencils for $1. Doesn't seem like an extra hardship when one is creating a quality cache experience. There's no obligation to provide a pencil, just polishes off a quality cache experience IMO.

Lone R, you are so write. Yes, I have put out lots of writing utensils, especially in what I consider some of my better caches or ones I have visited. BUT they disappear. Just got on a roll thinking of the notes that say need a pen. My point is that we should all be prepared for what is or isn't in a cache. It sounds like you have been putting out quality caches for some time. For that I thank you. If I ever have the opportunity to visit one of yours I will BMOP even though you put one in there. It may have grown legs and walked off.

OOPS! Sorry. Didn't realize you haven't put out any caches but I did check out your cool blog. Great swag. You are very creative.

Edited by Harlangroom

Let's take this further. Since I have completed all the above and, therefore, enticed you to geocache it is also my responsibility to provide the following for you: a premium membership to geocaching.com, geocaching app for your smartphone, a smartphone, the latest gpsr, a reliable vehicle (preferably 4-wheel drive), unlimited supply of fuel, a few bucks from time to time for a cup of java, some excellent hiking boots and, while we're at it, tent, backpack and other camping equipment. Ooooh! How about a ticket to Seattle so you can visit HQ to sign the big log.

You forget "toilet paper".

That doesn't really work for bison tubes. I don't put out alot of micros, but I have put out some bison tubes with 'cache guardians'. I tape a cu-tip stick to the log so it's easier to roll up, but there is definitely no room for a pencil.

That doesn't really work for bison tubes. I don't put out alot of micros, but I have put out some bison tubes with 'cache guardians'. I tape a cu-tip stick to the log so it's easier to roll up, but there is definitely no room for a pencil.

Like the q tip plan. Will use that!

What irks me most are micros, esp. ones hidden in the woods and puzzle caches. If I wanted to do a puzzle, I'd go get a puzzle book. And yes, I know, I don't have to find all the caches, but this area is saturated with micros and puzzles and it takes away from people hiding regular caches.

Call me old fashion, but I enjoy caches that take me to nice, beautiful areas or historical areas that I would otherwise not know about or go to. I would much rather walk 1/2 hr. on a beautiful trail and find one cache then spend a 1/2 hr. finding dozens of micros in parking lots. And then we have micros in the woods. Why do people hide micros in woods, when there are tons of perfect hiding spots to hide a regular? Not to mention, I think there is a contest in my area to see who can hide the most devious micro. It's not any fun when you search and search for a cache and can't find it because someone decided to hide a bison tube in a wooded area that has dozens of possibilities of where it might be. Frustrating. I have not been out geocaching as much lately for this reason. I can't travel far right now, so I look for caches close to home. It has not been easy trying to find any that aren't micros or puzzle caches. Nor to mention, there are only so many bison tubes you can find, hidden in the woods before they get boring. You've seen one, you've seen them all. If I do hide a micro, I try and put some creativity into it. Not just hang a film canister or bison tube from fishing line from a tree branch. To make matters worse, usually there is some bounce when in the woods. So now you have a GPS that can't settle down, in addition to trying to find a container that is smaller then my pinkie finger!

OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

but this area is saturated with micros and puzzles and it takes away from people hiding regular caches.
Hmm... I took a look at the map of caches around your most recent hide. It doesn't look that saturated to me.

Why do people hide micros in woods, when there are tons of perfect hiding spots to hide a regular?
Sometimes they have a specific location in mind, and a micro is the only size that will work in that location. Sometimes, they'd rather carry other things (food, water, emergency supplies, even a couple more lightweight cache containers) rather than a single heavy cache container. Sometimes they're just bored with easily found ammo cans and want to hide something else. Sometimes... well, any number of other reasons.

Not to mention, I think there is a contest in my area to see who can hide the most devious micro.
Yeah, some of us enjoy searching for those 4-star camouflaged micros. Some of my Favorites are like that.

Nanos with wet logs or the nano just in general

Wet logs ,cracked geocaches

Food or perfumes and stuff that you kinda sit there and think man why would u put that in there its killing the cache

There is a time and place for nano containers, just haven't seen it yet!

I like the gesture of providing a writing instrument, but I can't count the number of cache interiors we have found which were compromised from the point of a pencil. Zip Locks, as a secondary water barrier, are used often. They usually serve that capacity well, except when a pencil is in the cache. I think the trend towards putting the responsibility for a pencil on the cacher has a secondary benefit.

What irks me most are micros, esp. ones hidden in the woods and puzzle caches. If I wanted to do a puzzle, I'd go get a puzzle book. And yes, I know, I don't have to find all the caches, but this area is saturated with micros and puzzles and it takes away from people hiding regular caches.

Call me old fashion, but I enjoy caches that take me to nice, beautiful areas or historical areas that I would otherwise not know about or go to. I would much rather walk 1/2 hr. on a beautiful trail and find one cache then spend a 1/2 hr. finding dozens of micros in parking lots. And then we have micros in the woods. Why do people hide micros in woods, when there are tons of perfect hiding spots to hide a regular? Not to mention, I think there is a contest in my area to see who can hide the most devious micro. It's not any fun when you search and search for a cache and can't find it because someone decided to hide a bison tube in a wooded area that has dozens of possibilities of where it might be. Frustrating. I have not been out geocaching as much lately for this reason. I can't travel far right now, so I look for caches close to home. It has not been easy trying to find any that aren't micros or puzzle caches. Nor to mention, there are only so many bison tubes you can find, hidden in the woods before they get boring. You've seen one, you've seen them all. If I do hide a micro, I try and put some creativity into it. Not just hang a film canister or bison tube from fishing line from a tree branch. To make matters worse, usually there is some bounce when in the woods. So now you have a GPS that can't settle down, in addition to trying to find a container that is smaller then my pinkie finger!

OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

What irks me is geocachers who can't replace a cache as it was when they found it. I do regular checks on mine to find they have 'walked' several metres from where they were or are exposed because camo cover has not been replaced. That's how they end up being muggled.

I always include a writing implement if it will fit. If a cacher logs a Found It but then says they didn't have a pen/pencil to sign, I may just check it next time I do my rounds.

I always include a writing implement if it will fit. If a cacher logs a Found It but then says they didn't have a pen/pencil to sign, I may just check it next time I do my rounds.

:laughing:

A magnetic "small" that had compartments soldered in it to hold the log, two golf pencils and a tiny swag section.

Under a footbridge and the only time we found a mint container in decent shape.

The local "forgot..." guy claimed it a find.

- The next person stated that they, "used one of the pencils inside". :D

People who grab TBs before the cacher has had the opportunity to log it into the cache.

Ohhhh!! THIS!

I HATE it. I'm doing my best not to cuss here, but this really irks me in a most irksome way!

Often I have pictures to post with the drop. So do what I do. Grab the sucker back, drop it into the cache you visited and then post pictures, then send an email to the varmint what grabbed from me.

I ALWAYS write down the tracking number when I make a drop, so I am able to do this if need be.

What Irks you most?

when a hint is intentinally phrased so it is misunderstood as anything else

but the right location..

or when you go to check the hint while looking for the cache and it says "E-mail me" well those cachers that do not have =internet access while in the field this is useless and even a cacher can get to a wifi hot spot that would require wait around for a reply. This happen to me not to long ago, one hour from home on a cache run. I just put the cache on my ignore list after post a note on the page re the issue

What Irks you most?

when a hint is intentinally phrased so it is misunderstood as anything else

but the right location..

or when you go to check the hint while looking for the cache and it says "E-mail me" well those cachers that do not have =internet access while in the field this is useless and even a cacher can get to a wifi hot spot that would require wait around for a reply. This happen to me not to long ago, one hour from home on a cache run. I just put the cache on my ignore list after post a note on the page re the issue

Yeah, the email me thing is hugely inconsiderate to anyone, but particularly to travelers. I've been hundreds of miles from home, stuck and consulted the hint to see this tripe. I generally leave a less than friendly note on the cache regarding this practice. Leave no hint is preferable.

Why do people hide micros in woods, when there are tons of perfect hiding spots to hide a regular?

That's a darn good question. Just yesterday I scouted out a spot where I'd like to put a new cache...a lone pecan tree in a sugar cane field, easily accessible but far enough off the road to be picturesque. I thought it would be a good location but on inspection there was just no decent hidey hole to be found to conceal at least a Small container. I could have easily found a spot for a Micro, but it just didn't feel right for the location...I felt like it would have been lame. Maybe that's just me, though.

Micros have their place, especially in an urban environment, but out in the wilds a micro is just annoying :(