What Irks you most?

When someone is FTF, but then they take an age to post their log online. Then I dash out, get to GZ, feel all excited that I'm going to be FTF; only to find the log is already signed.

What irks me? People who think they are entitled to be notified if they are not going to be FTF on a cache. Part of the FTF side game is not knowing if you are first and feeling the rush hit you when you find out you are. I cannot understand how such self-entitlement can motivate a person to think that they must be placated by an immediate FTF log, lest they actually be disappointed if they come in second.

So true!

I use various listing sites for my caching pleasures. I sign the log of caches I find, but don't make any online entries (just not my thing). I track all my finds and such in GSAK. I don't play the FTF part of the game, but I have found a few that had no other signatures in the log (normally posted on other sites). A few years ago, I found a cache listed on another site which at the time wasn't cross posted on GC.com. About a week later the CO published on this site, probably not more than 2 or 3 hours after it was published I received an email from the next to find upset that I didn't log it online in a timely manner! He said he wouldn't have bothered to run out and look for it if he had known I had already found it! He then proceeded to accused me of cheating (being with the CO when it was placed) as the date on my signature was the week prior! :/

When someone is FTF, but then they take an age to post their log online. Then I dash out, get to GZ, feel all excited that I'm going to be FTF; only to find the log is already signed.

What irks me? People who think they are entitled to be notified if they are not going to be FTF on a cache. Part of the FTF side game is not knowing if you are first and feeling the rush hit you when you find out you are. I cannot understand how such self-entitlement can motivate a person to think that they must be placated by an immediate FTF log, lest they actually be disappointed if they come in second.

So true!

I use various listing sites for my caching pleasures. I sign the log of caches I find, but don't make any online entries (just not my thing). I track all my finds and such in GSAK. I don't play the FTF part of the game, but I have found a few that had no other signatures in the log (normally posted on other sites). A few years ago, I found a cache listed on another site which at the time wasn't cross posted on GC.com. About a week later the CO published on this site, probably not more than 2 or 3 hours after it was published I received an email from the next to find upset that I didn't log it online in a timely manner! He said he wouldn't have bothered to run out and look for it if he had known I had already found it! He then proceeded to accused me of cheating (being with the CO when it was placed) as the date on my signature was the week prior! :/

I had this exact thing happen to me this morning. I wasn't trying for the FTF specifically, but was needing to get a cache to extend my streak. I got to the cache at 0730 and while signing the log another cacher came up. After he signed the log, he replaced the cache and we left. By the time I got back home at 0800, a local FTF hog had found the cache and posted that it "irked" her when people don't log their finds. Nothing like being rude and exhibiting an unacceptable level of "entitlement". I left her a note that I'm sure she won't like. But I don't care. I've been doing this far longer than she has and if someone gets to a cache before I do, I chuckle, sign the log, and move on. I find people like this to be very irritating.

So true!

I inadvertently did this on one of my hides. I initially listed my LB box on another site and once the local letterboxers found it I listed it on GC. The first GCer to find it, found a logbook that was about 1/4 full of letterboxers' signatures. I'm not a FTFer but I was sorry to dishearten this GCer. Now, I replace the logbook with a fresh one if I cross-post. I figure it's a fun side-game for some, I don't think it's detrimental to the pastime and it's not a problem for me to put in a new logbook. It would however irk me if someone got upset with me for not posting right away if I inadvertently became a FTFer at a cache. I usually post by the end of the day, when I get back to a computer.

What irks me is the most are people that get irks out by every little things in life.

Would that include people who get irked by people who get irked by every little thing?

I was just thinking along those lines. Why be irked at someone else just because they're irked?

On the first to find,, I don't go for them as much these days. But i can understand why cachers get a little upset when they go for one and find that the log was signed a few days or longer ago. There's no written rule or anything and i'm certainly not playing the entitlement card here,, but there is this little thing called respect. There are many reasons why an online log can't be submitted in a timely manner but to purposely hold off simply to cause angst is disrespectful to your fellow cachers.

Actually, what irks me more are cachers who find a cache that I (or anyone else) puts a lot of thought and effort into, and then posts a log that doesn't even mention the cacha, and instead talks about the number of finds they had that day, or the challenge they're working on.

This. I wouldn't say it is my #1 complaint, but it certainly has discouraged me from placing numbers-hound-compliant caches.

Too often in the forums we confuse long logs and good logs. A good log is often long, but long logs are not necessarily good.

I understand someone's right to a lame log, but I am in the same camp in that I have been hiding less caches because the find logs have been so lame. Must be some overreaction.. -nevermind-

There are many reasons why an online log can't be submitted in a timely manner but to purposely hold off simply to cause angst is disrespectful to your fellow cachers.
That's pretty much my attitude towards the whole issue of logging FTFs online. If you're logging your FTFs online the same way that you log your other finds online, then I don't think it matters whether you log them minutes later or hours/days/weeks later. And if you're intentionally delaying your online FTF logs to annoy other FTF hounds, then I don't think it matters whether you log them minutes later or hours/days/weeks later.

So true!

You know, if you are not going to log your finds, most of us cache owners appreciate at least a simple note, ("found your cache, everything's good"), when someone finds our caches. You can delete it afterwards if you wish.

When the cache is wet on the inside and the log is soaked, and also when you decide not to bring a pen and there is none in the cache even though it is huge.

Why would you decide not to bring a pen? I have one attached to my GPS lanyard.

So true!

You know, if you are not going to log your finds, most of us cache owners appreciate at least a simple note, ("found your cache, everything's good"), when someone finds our caches. You can delete it afterwards if you wish.

I could, but I won't. :)

when you decide not to bring a pen and there is none in the cache even though it is huge.

You should always always bring a pen with you when caching.

I'm surprised at the number of people who have complained in their logs that there was no pen in one of my caches. What am I, the pen fairy? Today someone found one of my micros and was surprised there was no pen in it?!

When the cache is wet on the inside and the log is soaked, and also when you decide not to bring a pen and there is none in the cache even though it is huge.

I just got a report on one of my caches that the contents were wet. I placed the cache in July 2007 have check on it about once a year and that was the first log that ever mentioned the contents being wet.

So true!

May I then suggest at least a "thank you for placing the cache" email to the CO if you don't want to log online, don't you think they deserve at least that for taking the time and trouble to place the cache in the first place?

when you decide not to bring a pen and there is none in the cache even though it is huge.

I'm surprised at the number of people who have complained in their logs that there was no pen in one of my caches. What am I, the pen fairy? Today someone found one of my micros and was surprised there was no pen in it?!

Many times I thought I had a pen/pencil on me and it turned out I lost it or left it in the car. It's nice when there is a pencil in the cache but I don't expect it. When I forget or lose my pen, I will leave a mark with a twig. In the old days it was exceptional when there wasn't a pen/pencil in the cache, even in the micros.

Caches we hide always get a pencil. I buy 12 for a $1.50 at the dollar store and cut them down - getting 24 small or 36 tiny pencils out of the bunch.

So true!

May I then suggest at least a "thank you for placing the cache" email to the CO if you don't want to log online, don't you think they deserve at least that for taking the time and trouble to place the cache in the first place?

I do thank them in the cache logbook. Why should I duplicate that in an email?

CO’s putting parking and trailhead coord’s in the Description field rather than the Additional Waypoint fields.

I mean, GPS’s can’t navigate to anything entered into the Description field so your forcing me to stop, note the coords (and heaven forbid they’re in a different format than my GPS is set to), and go back and forth from the Description field in order to create a new waypoint just so I can navigate to it? :huh:

So true!

Some people who don't log caches on-line do it to steal TBs. If you aren't stealing or defacing, etc., you can do what you want. Even if you were stealing, etc., no one could do anything about it. It is just a game. We can't control the way anyone plays. However, it is a game that thrives, because people are considerate and, mostly, play by established norms. It, certainly, seems rude to find a cache and not let the CO know in a timely manner. The fun for the CO is getting the feedback on the cache. The CO won't see the log for months, sometimes a year or more. Sometimes the CO will never see the log, because the cache gets muggled, damaged or defaced in some way.

So true!

Some people who don't log caches on-line do it to steal TBs. If you aren't stealing or defacing, etc., you can do what you want. Even if you were stealing, etc., no one could do anything about it. It is just a game. We can't control the way anyone plays. However, it is a game that thrives, because people are considerate and, mostly, play by established norms. It, certainly, seems rude to find a cache and not let the CO know in a timely manner. The fun for the CO is getting the feedback on the cache. The CO won't see the log for months, sometimes a year or more. Sometimes the CO will never see the log, because the cache gets muggled, damaged or defaced in some way.

Love how you slipped in the insinuation that since I don't log online, I might be stealing TBs or defacing caches! :huh: I use to log on line with a team account until we split a few years ago. A few bad experiences with COs made me decide to stop that practice. I see many of the same examples in the forums today, so won't change my mind anytime soon. Plus, I like to have one way to count all my finds for all the various listing sites.

So true!

As mentioned, with caches getting muggled, soaked, burnt, etc, there is a strong possibility that the cache owner will not see your hand written note in the cache log. This is a highly social game which would die overnight if digital logging did not take place. A found it log from you lets the owner know someone out there cared enough to look for their cache. Since many of my hides take months to create, pecking a few characters on a keyboard seems like the least you could do.

It is the height of rudeness to not log your finds online, regardless of some past issue you've had with the practice.

So true!

As mentioned, with caches getting muggled, soaked, burnt, etc, there is a strong possibility that the cache owner will not see your hand written note in the cache log. This is a highly social game which would die overnight if digital logging did not take place. A found it log from you lets the owner know someone out there cared enough to look for their cache. Since many of my hides take months to create, pecking a few characters on a keyboard seems like the least you could do.

It is the height of rudeness to not log your finds online, regardless of some past issue you've had with the practice.

Guess you'll just have to consider me rude then. <_< I don't cache for the social aspect, and could really care less about giving a CO a warm fuzzy about his cache.

So true!

Guess you'll just have to consider me rude then. <_< I don't cache for the social aspect, and could really care less about giving a CO a warm fuzzy about his cache.

Yeah, we picked right up on that... <_<:rolleyes:

Who do you think puts out caches, magical gnomes? You've involved in a social game whether you like it or not.

I don't think much of people who find caches and don't log them online. It's creepy at best. Someone took the time to put the cache there and maintain. The least you can do is log a 'Thanks'.

My Dad and step-mom are an older couple who aren't very computer savvy. I build and load their PQs for them. They never log online. They always clean up caches that need it and leave great swag. They are nice, friendly, NOT RUDE people who love to cache but don't navigate cyberspace all that well. Please have a little tolerance for them.

• Upvote 1

My Dad and step-mom are an older couple who aren't very computer savvy. I build and load their PQs for them. They never log online. They always clean up caches that need it and leave great swag. They are nice, friendly, NOT RUDE people who love to cache but don't navigate cyberspace all that well. Please have a little tolerance for them.

I can tolerate this. Most people who don't log online don't have this excuse, however. I know several who don't log their finds online and they can use computers just fine.

So true!

I honestly don't care if someone thanks me or not, but a found log or note lets me know that the cache is still there. I'm more concerned about the status of my cache than I am about someone elses bad manners.

Many times I thought I had a pen/pencil on me and it turned out I lost it or left it in the car. It's nice when there is a pencil in the cache but I don't expect it. When I forget or lose my pen, I will leave a mark with a twig. In the old days it was exceptional when there wasn't a pen/pencil in the cache, even in the micros.

Caches we hide always get a pencil. I buy 12 for a $1.50 at the dollar store and cut them down - getting 24 small or 36 tiny pencils out of the bunch.

It's one thing to forget a pen, but in this case, they "decided" not to bring one. I guess it was too heavy? :ph34r:

So true!

Love how you slipped in the insinuation that since I don't log online, I might be stealing TBs or defacing caches! :huh: I use to log on line with a team account until we split a few years ago. A few bad experiences with COs made me decide to stop that practice. I see many of the same examples in the forums today, so won't change my mind anytime soon. Plus, I like to have one way to count all my finds for all the various listing sites.

I've had a few bad experiences with a few COs as well. As a result, I simply don't look for their caches. I would never dream of letting their bad behavior affect how I treat everyone else.

Who do you think puts out caches, magical gnomes? You've involved in a social game whether you like it or not.

I don't think much of people who find caches and don't log them online. It's creepy at best. Someone took the time to put the cache there and maintain. The least you can do is log a 'Thanks'.

That must mean I'm a creepy TB Thief, I suppose! :anibad:

I do have to say it must be pretty sad to have such a low opinion of others when they don't conform to your view of the way things should be.

I do have to say it must be pretty sad to have such a low opinion of others when they don't conform to your view of the way things should be.

I think you're missing the point. It's not about "conform[ing] to [a] view of the way things should be."

It's about being courteous to the CO and, to be honest, following the guidelines set forth on the geocaching.com website. In that sense it's about conforming to the way the people who set up and run the site want it to be. It's not "a view."

The guidelines might be worth quoting here, though I suspect you know them and simply don't care:

When you get home, log your experience online by going back to that cache page and using the links provided. The cache owner is automatically notified of your log and is always happy to know about your adventure, the condition of their cache, and any environmental factors. Upload photos to share your experience visually with other geocachers.

Notice that it's not "You have the option of logging your experience." Logging caches is how the game is played, according to the site that you use to find the caches. You've decided, on the other hand, to refuse to log caches on the website based on what seem to be an atypical experience with a few COs. Boo hoo.

I suspect it's more out of convenience for yourself. After all, the extra step of logging in and typing something and submitting it is more work. But it's part of the process for a reason. It helps the CO, it maintains the social aspect of the game, and it helps the next cacher in hir own search. You don't care about the social aspect, which is fine. You don't seem to care that it helps the CO, and you don't seem to care that it might help the next cacher. That's a shame.

Wow - 3 pages of back and forth. That's a little irksome.

#1 irk - MICROS IN THE WOODS

Coming from crowded Bergen Co, NJ, I can appreciate micros - fun quick (and some not-so-quick) hides that keep the game alive in urban areas. Still there were tons of "real" caches everywhere.(take a hike along the Palisades). Now I live in the Adirondack mountains of NY and people seem obsessed with hanging bison tubes in balsam trees. So, I have to add my voice to the micros in the woods irk. Please! Look around the site - nobody is going to come along and stumble upon the cache by accident if it was using an Abrams tank as the container! but you put a nano with a fire tack on a tree? ugh...

This past weekend I found I think the most fun hide I've gotten in a while and it took me 2 trips to find it. I also found an ammo can laid behind a rock with some branches to break up the outline. The former was at a boat launch, the latter half way around a 3 1/2 mile loop trail.

Both were great caches in keeping with their surroundings. Thanks to the COs

Had they been reversed and I stumbled on the ammo can in a parking lot or had to make 2 - 3 mile hikes to find a plastic bag with a log and a pen, neither would have brought much fun.

To further the thought, I remind you that New York state is a very pro geo-caching place that officially recognizes geo-caching as an outdoor sport on par with hunting and fishing. And that you may place a cache on any state land other than highways or monuments without written permission.

Thanks for the topic!

I've seen people go to a party, eat some food, toss down a few drinks and then leave without thanking the host. I have a low opinion of such people. Do you?

But like I said, I just want to know if my cache is doing okay and you posting some sort of log, tells me that. Without feedback, I have no reason to continue to hide caches. If people stop hiding caches, you wont have caches to find. It's really a simple concept.

My view? How about Groundspeak's view? Yes, I have a poor opinion of people with poor manners.

I'm gonna weigh in...

I only have 35 finds.. but so far I'm irked by:

* Certain "series" caches - or caches in general that are all by the same person where there will be 15 hide a keys - all stashed within a quarter mile of each other on the back of road signs along a major highway. Or 5 tupperware containers all along the same trail. I guess they're ok if you want numbers.. but not much fun o actually go after.

* When I open a cache and find garbage - +1 if I read on the log: "took 50 cent piece and left a leaf" (not kidding) - "took pocket watch and left nuts & bolts" (not kidding either)

* When I'm dumb and forget to read the online logs before attempting to find a cache. Twice now I've searched, couldn't find and then went to read the logs and saw 10 recent DNFs in a row.

* Finding the direct path on my way OUT - when I've just climbed up a 50ft vertical rock bank and through poison ivy in flip flops :lol:

* The map that pops up when I hit "navigate to geocache" on the phone app. It shows everything upside down.. so I'm usually walking or driving in circles until I get a sense of where I should be.

Puzzle caches!

I don't understand why a CO would want to keep me sitting on my butt in front of the computer trying to figure out what he/she was thinking when I could be outside finding caches.

I partially agree, sometimes it's the proud moment when you solve a puzzle and then find the cache. What irks me are ones way, way to difficult to almost impossible and ones where the hide is almost as difficult as the puzzle. (cough, cough....like one of mine)

Puzzle caches!

I don't understand why a CO would want to keep me sitting on my butt in front of the computer trying to figure out what he/she was thinking when I could be outside finding caches.

I partially agree, sometimes it's the proud moment when you solve a puzzle and then find the cache. What irks me are ones way, way to difficult to almost impossible and ones where the hide is almost as difficult as the puzzle. (cough, cough....like one of mine)

That reminds me of a puzzle I worked on.

Most codes have a set standard solution for that code (A=1, B=2, or ... = S, --- = O etc.) When I contacted the CO about the solution I discovered he had his own "standard" (A=5, B=2 etc). That one irked me the most.

Puzzle caches!

That reminds me of a puzzle I worked on.

Most codes have a set standard solution for that code (A=1, B=2, or ... = S, --- = O etc.) When I contacted the CO about the solution I discovered he had his own "standard" (A=5, B=2 etc). That one irked me the most.

If you work through a puzzle like this logically, it's really not that bad. A puzzle which maps A=1, B=2, etc and one that maps A=5, B=2, etc. is basically a substitution cipher. I've done some where each letter mapped to a symbol and it doesn't make it any more difficult, as long there is enough text to decode. You can start by making the assumption that each number or symbol maps to a letter and consider each digit as spelled out (one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine). If you notice, E is the most common letter. Find the most common number and try replacing it with an E. That should give you the most likely substitutions for T, H, and R. and you should be able to figure out the rest pretty quickly. Even if the encoded text doesn't contain spelled out digits, the same letter frequency matching may apply if it's a substitution cipher.

Most of my caches start out with pens. They often seem to disappear, though. So I wouldn't necessarily blame the CO for a cache not having a pen.

As other folks have stated, always try to bring your own pen or pencil.

Stealing Geocoins and Travel Bugs; especially the coins because I think most coins are taken by "adults" while many TBs are taken by kids for the toys attached. I wouldn't even mind so much that they took the toys if they left the tags.

I 100% agree. Stealing TBs and coins is UNSAT.

I'm trying to figure out how I can hide a cache that incorporates all of the irks listed in this thread (aside from the TB stealing). :)

Sounds not so difficult.

A LPC at some really dirty place (with a couple of throwdowns at the neighbouring lampposts). One meter distance to a wall of military installation with a "Trespassers will be shot dead" plaque and a CCTV camera. No container and logbook, just a small piece of wet paper full with "TFTC" logs in a cracked tic-tac plastic box. No parking. No hints. This hide should be the end of a 12km walk (described as a 1.2 km walk at the website) involving crossing of some bogs with 10 similar steps/spots where one has to count trees in woods and exhausting calculations (final coordinates should be 50 meters off). This walk should be preceded by a complex puzzle with a couple of mistakes in it translated from some unknown language into English with Google Translate.

This is how it could look like. You're welcome to add more ideas to this. One who decides to place such a geocache should certainly abandon it and don't reply to any logs and PMs.

Edited by -CJ-

I'm trying to figure out how I can hide a cache that incorporates all of the irks listed in this thread (aside from the TB stealing). :)

Sounds not so difficult.

A LPC at some really dirty place (with a couple of throwdowns at the neighbouring lampposts). One meter distance to a wall of military installation with a "Trespassers will be shot dead" plaque and a CCTV camera. No container and logbook, just a small piece of wet paper full with "TFTC" logs in a cracked tic-tac plastic box. No parking. No hints. This hide should be the end of a 12km walk (described as a 1.2 km walk at the website) involving crossing of some bogs with 10 similar steps/spots where one has to count trees in woods and exhausting calculations (final coordinates should be 50 meters off). This walk should be preceded by a complex puzzle with a couple of mistakes in it translated from some unknown language into English with Google Translate.

This is how it could look like. You're welcome to add more ideas to this. One who decides to place such a geocache should certainly abandon it and don't reply to any logs and PMs.

OMG you nailed it! The worst caching experience rolled into one cache. :lol:

Sounds not so difficult.

OMG you nailed it! The worst caching experience rolled into one cache. :lol:

Make sure the puzzle has no geochecker, and that there are multiple non-confirmable solutions all leading to viable coordinates.

Ooh! Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm planning a vacation around this one next summer! Who wants to join me?!

;)

Ooh! Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm planning a vacation around this one next summer! Who wants to join me?!

;)

Count me in. I'll make an event cache for it, and then not show up.

Edited by HistDrew