What Irks you most?

How about "irks me a lot" instead of "irks me most?"

Some of the geocachers in my area don't get along very well, and it's become a thing that's affecting the local caching scene. They talk crap about each other, boycott each others' events, and tell newbies not to attend each others' events and not to find each others' caches. I've even seen a log taunting one of the cachers--not by name but it was obvious.

Seriously, people. It's a game. It's supposed to be fun. For me it's a break from the everyday BS, not an extension of it. And, don't try to involve me in the BS. I'm just interested in finding weird/cool stuff that people have hidden.

If the reviewer is archiving one of your caches on the same day that you are hiding a new one, your playing the game wrong.

I wish Reviewers had more power to stop obviously irresponsible cache owners. We know they have to read the listing to make sure everything is kosher - there must be red flags they recognise in listings. They must just cringe when they have no choice but to publish a cache that they know will be garbage within a week. If I were them, I'd be playing a side game of "Guess how long it will be before someone posts a NM/NA".

If the reviewer is archiving one of your caches on the same day that you are hiding a new one, you're playing the game wrong.

I would like to see such people blocked from hiding new caches or at least given a stern warning from the reviewer next time they submit a cache. These people have an illness (compulsive cache hiding) and need professional help.

OCCHD - Obsessive, Compulsive, Cache Hiding Disorder. I honestly believe that there is such a thing.

If the reviewer is archiving one of your caches on the same day that you are hiding a new one, you're playing the game wrong.

I would like to see such people blocked from hiding new caches or at least given a stern warning from the reviewer next time they submit a cache. These people have an illness (compulsive cache hiding) and need professional help.

OCCHD - Obsessive, Compulsive, Cache Hiding Disorder. I honestly believe that there is such a thing.

Don't forget the OCCFD (Obsessive, Compulsive, Cache Finding Disorder). There are people who force themselves to do caches that they don't enjoy, just because they have an obsessive need to find every cache in their area.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Things that irk me about geocaching:

1. The fact that earth caches just aren't fun to me any more. They have become geology caches. There is much more to Earth Science than just geology.

2. CO's who have not logged on to the site in years. Some of their caches are epic, most are not. There should be a system to archive their caches after a year or two.

3. A film can hidden in a forest where you could hide a five-gallon bucket.

4. A Multi that is actually a field puzzle that requires an resource not available in the field, especially when I am a long way from home. The cache page should let me know ahead of time.

5. Wherigos and Chirps. (Isn't the company that does those the one that owns an alternative geocaching site.)

6. People who sit at a computer to complain that they don't like to sit at a computer to solve a puzzle.

I still remember looking for a missing LPC at a grocery story when this geocacher drove up. He said the cache was missing and went on to tell me about his day. He apparently had found a cache in four or five different states that day and had completed his grid or something. He then told me he lived in the area and had thousands of geocache finds. I got all excited thinking that with this guy's vast experience, he must have some awesome hides of himself close by. Nada, he had never hidden a single cache. I logged the DNF and drove home.

So yeah, it slightly irks me that are some folks that find thousands of caches every year, yet apparently don't have the time to hide and maintain a single cache of their own.

Try giving a little back to the game instead of making it all about you and your geocaching accomplishents IMO.

I'm personally more impressed by the guy that hides one awesome/legendary cache than the guy that finds 10,000 caches in a year. The previous requires real thought, the latter just requires time.

I am a guy that tries to hide top drawer caches but I am unapologetic when I say that your expectation of other geocachers here needing to "give back" to the game earns you the Eyeroll of the Century Award.

5. Wherigos and Chirps. (Isn't the company that does those the one that owns an alternative geocaching site.)

I think it's really interesting how different people enjoy different things. I have only found one Wherigo, but it was the best caching adventure I have experienced.

Just wondering why Wherigos irk you? How many have you done and what were your experiences of them? Maybe I was just really lucky with the one I tried.

The most comon irk is badly maintained caches - which has encouraged me to use the NA button a bit more recently. Always looking carefully at the DNFs, CO's last login and other caches, that sort of thing. But living in a town where there are 4 or more COs wanting to put out intersting / fiendish / quirky caches, it seems absolutely fair enough.

One which I'm not pulling the trigger on - it's going to be a film pot I think, on a disused road bridge. Lots of DNFs but it's probably simply under loads of undergrowth. Have messaged CO...

The most comon irk is badly maintained caches - which has encouraged me to use the NA button a bit more recently. Always looking carefully at the DNFs, CO's last login and other caches, that sort of thing. But living in a town where there are 4 or more COs wanting to put out intersting / fiendish / quirky caches, it seems absolutely fair enough.

One which I'm not pulling the trigger on - it's going to be a film pot I think, on a disused road bridge. Lots of DNFs but it's probably simply under loads of undergrowth. Have messaged CO...

Along these lines, I was surprised at regional variations among the Reviewers. When I lived in England I NA'd a cache that was missing, and tnd the CO hadn't logged on in six months. The local Reviewer archived it the *next day.* In another place I lived I've posted NAs for missing caches, the CO hadn't logged on in years, and the local Reviewer went through the 30-day warning cycle *3 times* before archiving.

If the reviewer is archiving one of your caches on the same day that you are hiding a new one, your playing the game wrong.

We've got someone here who 1)archived a cache hidden under a bench 2) hid a new cache under the same bench, centimeters away 3)left the old cache in place. One of the finders of the new cache retrieved the old cache and gave it back to her. :blink:

I'd like to see a system where cachers who routinely had their caches archived for non-maintenance were blocked from placing new ones at all. It's fine if you place a cache and for some reason find you can't maintain it so remove it and archive it, but when the reviewer archives it because dozens of people have posted NM and you've done nothing, you clearly aren't going to maintain any new caches.

I think it's really interesting how different people enjoy different things. I have only found one Wherigo, but it was the best caching adventure I have experienced.

Just wondering why Wherigos irk you? How many have you done and what were your experiences of them? Maybe I was just really lucky with the one I tried.

I've done two Wherigo's where I tagged along with a group in which another cacher had a GPS that did them. One was on a trail and one was mostly driving. The trail one wasn't bad, though I didn't get to see the screen very much. The road one could have been a straight-up multi without losing very much. I'm irked because none of my GPS's will do them. and I don't see myself being able to afford one that will anytime soon. I haven't done any chirps for the same reason.

While I'm ranting about chirps, they should not be listed as traditionals, as the log is not at the posted coordinates. Now I need to revise all of my PQ's to exclude them.

With all of the hoops that geocaching goes through to be inclusive, how can they exclude a large portion of the caching population based on GPS ownership? They would not allow placing a challenge cache that could only be logged as found by owners of certain Garmins.

Edited by fishgeek
With all of the hoops that geocaching goes through to be inclusive, how can they exclude a large portion of the caching population based on GPS ownership? They would not allow placing a challenge cache that could only be logged as found by owners of certain Garmins.

Not sure that Wherigos really qualify as exclusive. For less than the cost of your annual premium membership you can get an old PDA and bluetooth GPS which will allow you to do Wherigos. Or, if you have a smartphone you can get the free app, which actually works better than the Garmin software. One of our locals has figured out how to do Chirps on his smart phone. Something about an add-on antenna and the right app? Sorry. Not a techie.

Like the cache at the bottom of the ocean, and the one in the International Space Station, there will always be caches which are beyond our reach, either due to physical, mental, or financial limitations. Don't blame Wherigos for being exclusive. Blame yourself for not coming up with a method to do them.

1. coordinates offset on purpose because CO thinks it makes the search more interesting.

Like this one?

Coords are off 60 feet intentionally. The description does not directly say they are off, but describes how to get to the cache. The coords are placed by an ancient gazebo in a nice viewing spot, which I suppose that the CO wants you to visit first. Reading the description, you would not know the coords are off, so it is unlikely that you would bring the info with you. Really, why would anyone want to trick someone into visiting an interesting spot 60 feet away? Most can find it on their own. :rolleyes:

Which reminds me of another irk, valid Needs Archived notes which are ignored. :mad:

1. coordinates offset on purpose because CO thinks it makes the search more interesting.

Like this one?

Coords are off 60 feet intentionally. The description does not directly say they are off, but describes how to get to the cache. The coords are placed by an ancient gazebo in a nice viewing spot, which I suppose that the CO wants you to visit first. Reading the description, you would not know the coords are off, so it is unlikely that you would bring the info with you. Really, why would anyone want to trick someone into visiting an interesting spot 60 feet away? Most can find it on their own. :rolleyes:

Which reminds me of another irk, valid Needs Archived notes which are ignored. :mad:

I DNFed this one because I went to GZ, but I should have read the description, keeps Geocaching fun.

Of course, then there are puzzle cache owners who copy puzzles off the internet and pass them off as their own.

There was one published here recently. At least part of the puzzle, anyway, was copied directly off the internet and I'm pretty sure which site. They clearly took the time to crop the image to remove the copyright. :rolleyes: A previous puzzle by the same CO was copied directly from the internet. As no details had been changed, it was all too easy to Google. :rolleyes:

If you're going to copy stuff for puzzles:

#1 Ask permission

#2 Give credit where credit is due. Don't pretend you're something you're not.

#3 For heavens sake, if you're really intent on copying something, at least take some time to change SOME of the details to make it A TINY BIT original.

#4 Best yet, don't copy! It's lame!

Wow I didn't know there was so much to dislike! I don't mind nanos/ micros as long as they are somewhere acceptable (i.e. magnet on a fire hydrant on the side of pedestrian St. George Street, St Augustine- the excitement is in the stealth, people! And the homeless guy in the diggery doo singing clues to you) and not a pointless stop sign in the middle of nothing. The only thing that bugs me is TB's not being tracked quickly. I always seem to find them and they haven't been "placed" in the cache I found them.

I dislike micros/nanos. I don't look for them and try to avoid them as much as possible! Complete waste of time in my humble opinion. I love looking for reasonable-sized caches with the chance of finding a TB or geocoin. I'm still fairly new to this and it is just an opinion! Maybe later I will have a change of heart but I doubt it!!

I still remember looking for a missing LPC at a grocery story when this geocacher drove up. He said the cache was missing and went on to tell me about his day. He apparently had found a cache in four or five different states that day and had completed his grid or something. He then told me he lived in the area and had thousands of geocache finds. I got all excited thinking that with this guy's vast experience, he must have some awesome hides of himself close by. Nada, he had never hidden a single cache. I logged the DNF and drove home.

So yeah, it slightly irks me that are some folks that find thousands of caches every year, yet apparently don't have the time to hide and maintain a single cache of their own.

Try giving a little back to the game instead of making it all about you and your geocaching accomplishents IMO.

I'm personally more impressed by the guy that hides one awesome/legendary cache than the guy that finds 10,000 caches in a year. The previous requires real thought, the latter just requires time.

I am a guy that tries to hide top drawer caches but I am unapologetic when I say that your expectation of other geocachers here needing to "give back" to the game earns you the Eyeroll of the Century Award.

I will admit to not reading the previous pages. Giving back to the game by hiding more caches was one of the early contentious debates. It quickly became an outdated argument and concept. In the early days the thought was to hide 1 cache for every 10 found. Even though I have been playing this game for almost 10 years I have a low find count. In order to satisfy the 10:1 idea I would still need to have over 300 hides. Not such a good idea. Now think about a new cell phone cacher who can find 100, 200 300 caches in a day or a few. Should they be expected to place 10, 20 or more caches to "give back" to the game? The short answer is no. For the most part the better caches are hidden by experienced cachers. As with music there are one hit wonders, so some brand new cachers will hide great caches the first time. We are far better off as supporters of this game to encourage new players to wait and gain experience before placing caches.

Wow I didn't know there was so much to dislike! I don't mind nanos/ micros as long as they are somewhere acceptable (i.e. magnet on a fire hydrant on the side of pedestrian St. George Street, St Augustine- the excitement is in the stealth, people! And the homeless guy in the diggery doo singing clues to you) and not a pointless stop sign in the middle of nothing. The only thing that bugs me is TB's not being tracked quickly. I always seem to find them and they haven't been "placed" in the cache I found them.

I suggest you learn to be patient with trackables you find. Cachers may drop a trackable while on an epic journey and not be able to log for days or weeks.

- People that ruin geocaches. Not those muggles who accidentally run into containers but those bastards who use geocaching website to follow new (restored) caches just to go and steal them. The reasons may be different: "It's my wood!", "I hate CJ!", "I'm the Great Cache Terminator!", anything.

- People who believe that by publishing a cache I owe some exclusive attention, entertaintment and reward to them. Those who think that a CO must place a cache so they could find it easily, solve puzzles for them, explain hints, publish spoilers, suggest easy trails, etc. "The hint was vague! A photo with an arrow pointing at the hiding place was missing! It was -30 celcium below zero! It was midnight! I came there with my small kids! We left our car at the other end of the town! The CO must be an idiot!"

- Cache seekers that ignore an opportunity to do a small maintenance even when it is an easy job. "I hardly managed to log my nickname into the wet logbook, the cache needs maintenance". Totally agree with Mr Crazyhedgehog.

- Cache owners who don't care about their hides. Especially when they are active in forum discussions but don't reply neither to DNFs nor to PMs requesting maintenance.

As for geocaches, there was a nice "survey" on "what geocaches you don't like" at some British website (sadly, don't remember which one). It was a very long list :) My selection of disliked geocaches is as follows:

- When a cache is hidden in rubbish.

- A multi-step with a formula like "A*B*C/D-F+G/2+237". Lord, what kind of a game we're playing here? :)

- A multi-step with dull tasks like "Now count all windows in that building".

- Poor containers.

- Caches requiring extreme stealth where one can easily find a place without such a need.

- Caches placed in summer without thinking what will happen in winter. (I'm so tired with that containers buried under snow and frozen into ice!)

- Caches under/near CCTV cameras.

- A cache in a really interesting place with just few words in its description.

- Multi-steps and puzzles where some formulas happen to be wrong. "Oops! Coordinates point to someone's private garden!"

- Hints like "at the left side of the park". What side you believe to be left, dude?

- Multi-steps where you have to walk three km in one direction and then return 3 km exactly along the same highway.

As for geocaches, there was a nice "survey" on "what geocaches you don't like" at some British website (sadly, don't remember which one). It was a very long list :) My selection of disliked geocaches is as follows:

- When a cache is hidden in rubbish.

Agree entirely, can't stand those.

- A multi-step with a formula like "A*B*C/D-F+G/2+237". Lord, what kind of a game we're playing here? :)

When you can say A+B+C why do people feel the need to say things like this? The last thing I want to do is go on a wild goose chase because of intricate calculations done in the field. As an aside it's nice to get an idea of roughly how far the calculated stage should be, just to give a sanity check that you've probably worked it out correctly.

Unless there's only a small number, I agree. It's also annoying when it's not entirely clear just what needs to be counted - is it the number of windows, the number of window panes, do you have to walk around the building to count windows on the other side, etc.

- Caches placed in summer without thinking what will happen in winter. (I'm so tired with that containers buried under snow and frozen into ice!)

Or the flipside, where a cache is placed in winter and is surrounded by stinging nettles 8 feet tall in the summer.

- Hints like "at the left side of the park". What side you believe to be left, dude?

Or clues like "shoulder height in tree" - aside from telling me it's not on the ground it's hard to know how tall the person whose shoulder is referenced might be. Much easier to say things like "north side of path" or "five feet up in tree".

It's also annoying when it's not entirely clear just what needs to be counted - is it the number of windows, the number of window panes, do you have to walk around the building to count windows on the other side, etc.

Sometimes I like puzzles (you described it more like a puzzle than a simple task :) ) with more than one solution. Some years ago I places several geocaches with such tasks. For example, you need to get numbers A and B but the only number you can get when you're on the first step of the cache is neither A nor B but A+B. E.g. A+B = 8. So, you've several pairs of coordinates and can project several waypoints on your map. At a first glance the task may sound ugly but when you get all these pairs you'll find that many points do not fit the description so you're left with e.g. 4 coordinates and get rid of two of them because they're against your common sense and intuition. And so on. Well, I like such tasks. That's adventure, much more than following clear instructions. So when people say "I hate puzzles with more than one solution" - well, I'd say our life is a game with more than one solution :)

As for counting windows, I spoke about dull tasks. Why not use some imagination? E.g. "Find a statue with a sword. Look where the statue is looking. How many other statues you can see from this point (if you were this statue)?" To me it's more like a game, more fun than just counting windows.

In the early days the thought was to hide 1 cache for every 10 found.

Really, it would make more sense to say that if you want to give back to the community something comparable to what you get out of it, then instead of counting caches you would count cache logs. Not that I really care, but you could tally the number of finds people made on your caches and compare that to the number of finds you made on other people's caches that year. If one grossly outnumbers the other, then you could hide more or less to compensate.

• "TFTC" or similar short, "smart phone" logs. If making an intelligent log is too difficult on a phone, then simply log it as a field note and write the log at home on a computer.
  • Placing hides with crappy coordinates which seems to be more common with the plethora of "seasonal" cachers who hide one after finding one or two.
  • Not logging DNFs!!!!! I don't know if this a pride thing or what but I have quite a few caches where I see logs like, "I DNF'd this one before but found it today" but no DNF log was ever posted. As a CO, believe me that it is extremely helpful to have DNF logs posted!
  • Crappy containers....Tic Tac containers, gum containers, disposable Glad storage boxes, etc.
  • Hides which are pretty much one of the above listed containers thrown into a pile of debris and considered "hidden"
  • COs who do not maintain their caches. If it's too difficult, then ask for help. I had the help of some wonderful local cachers when my wife was in the hospital for 2 months and II asked if anyone could replace a full log. There's a local cacher who has been out of the game for almost 3 years, has a couple hundred hides and does not maintain any of them. They are slowly being archived but I always wondered why he never adopted them out or archived them himself if he had no plan to continue the game.

If we can include Forum behaviors in this thread, I am going to go with "feeding the trolls"

Like most children, these people don't know the difference between "good" attention and "bad" attention.

Someone with a Narcissistic personality disorder should be ignored. It is unlikely they'll go away but at least you won't be enabling them.

Every time I see one of those threads, it reminds me of an excellent XKCD comic Duty Calls:

duty_calls.png

Not logging DNFs!!!!!

Oh, yes. It's really a headache. I could understand such behaviour when one just heard about geocaching and decided to give it a try. But people with thousands of finds sometimes do just the same.

The last thing I want to do is go on a wild goose chase because of intricate calculations done in the field.
I don't even need intricate calculations to go on a wild goose chase because of incorrect coordinates. Actually, I'm more likely to get "intricate" calculations right, than simple calculations that don't quite follow a consistent pattern, for example:

A = the number of bryllyg objects

B = the number of slythy toves

C = the number of things in the wabe

D = the number of mimsy objects

E = twice the number of borogoves

F = the number of mome raths

The odds are good that I'll forget to multiply the number for E by 2. Another variation I've seen is:

A = at waypoint 1, the number of bryllyg objects

B = at waypoint 2, the number of slythy toves

C = at waypoint 3, the number of slythy toves

D = at waypoint 5, the number of mimsy objects

E = at waypoint 4, the number of mimsy objects

F = at waypoint 6, the number of mome raths

The odds are good that I'll get D and E reversed.

The last thing I want to do is go on a wild goose chase because of intricate calculations done in the field.
I don't even need intricate calculations to go on a wild goose chase because of incorrect coordinates. Actually, I'm more likely to get "intricate" calculations right, than simple calculations that don't quite follow a consistent pattern, for example:

A = the number of bryllyg objects

B = the number of slythy toves

C = the number of things in the wabe

D = the number of mimsy objects

E = twice the number of borogoves

F = the number of mome raths

The odds are good that I'll forget to multiply the number for E by 2. Another variation I've seen is:

A = at waypoint 1, the number of bryllyg objects

B = at waypoint 2, the number of slythy toves

C = at waypoint 3, the number of slythy toves

D = at waypoint 5, the number of mimsy objects

E = at waypoint 4, the number of mimsy objects

F = at waypoint 6, the number of mome raths

The odds are good that I'll get D and E reversed.

I must say that puzzle is outgrabe.

Cachers who move from NJ to Washington, then ask silly questions in the forums.

laughing.gif

Putting a puzzle solving group on Facebook where anyone can ask for a puzzle to be solved for them.

Where do I find these facebook pages? :lol:

Seriously, I have three irks:

1: people who take my travel bugs and keep them (I've stopped releasing new ones as a result)

2: cachers who go to a cache that I put alot of work and thought into and then complain ("coordinates bad, no good swag" etc)

3: The worst crime are those "mudbloods" who use the geocaching website to find and steal my ammocans!

I love all the feedback here!! Some obvious, some new to me.

Most annoying to me are all the pointless caches all over the city with no real purpose or challenge...not to say I don't like the find, but I'd love to find some more creative caches...everything is just a film canister or micro hidden to death.

No kidding.

There are two film canister caches within about .1 from my office (one a lamp post) and neither of them have been maintained in over a year. When I found the first I replaced the log, which is something I now regret. I wish I had posted a need archive on both of them because the CO hasn't shown *any* GC activity for a year. There are a few places I'd like to hide something a bit more interesting in the area but i cannot because of the proximity to these un-maintained caches.

A "power trail" in an area already containing many caches in interesting places, when the trail cache listing is exactly the same for all the caches and no attempt has been made to explain why this fence post/telegraph pole is so out of the ordinary apart from being 0.1 miles from the last one.

"When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot." – briansnat

2: cachers who go to a cache that I put alot of work and thought into and then complain ("coordinates bad, no good swag" etc)

Actually, what irks me more are cachers who find a cache that I (or anyone else) puts a lot of thought and effort into, and then posts a log that doesn't even mention the cacha, and instead talks about the number of finds they had that day, or the challenge they're working on.

For example, here's a log that was posted on one of my caches last Saturday (Get Outdoors Day).

"On my way home from work. Decided to chose this cache for the badge today."

The cache name, location, cache description, hiding location, and container are all related. It's at a pretty, quiet spot, and the container has been described as "the cutest container I've ever seen", but all the finder can mention is that the find gave the credit for a souvenir.

My biggest peeve by far is the armchair logging of unattended Virtuals where the cacher quite obviously never visited the physical location on that day.

This abuse of an increasingly rare, grandfathered cache type is exactly what leads directly to their archival.

It is the caching equivalent of poaching elephants for their ivory as they rapidly decline to extinction. :mad:

And the biggest offenders, BY FAR, are cachers from Germany and The Netherlands. Why? :blink: Who knows. <_<

If you want to see a Rogue's Gallery of this unethical behavior, take a look at all the armchair logs on GCGFE7 : Gros Venture Slide.

.... a replacement for some tired old thing that hardly gets any finds anymore....

Interesting point. If someone is worried that their cache "hardly gets finds anymore" they should re-consider location, type, and D/T rating. If the Co set it up intending frequent finds, then maybe s/he ought to replace it with something more appropriate for the spot. Or, archive it and move on.

But I agree with the point that it's irksome for a CO to simply archive and replace a cache anytime someone posts a NM. We have a local who is on a fourth iteration of the same exact spot. Each time there's a problem with the cache the CO archives and replaces. That person has about a half-dozen others around town with similar histories.

Howdy......

Truer words ain't never been spoke.....

Vern / Foothills Drifter... B)

How about "irks me a lot" instead of "irks me most?"

Some of the geocachers in my area don't get along very well, and it's become a thing that's affecting the local caching scene. They talk crap about each other, boycott each others' events, and tell newbies not to attend each others' events and not to find each others' caches. I've even seen a log taunting one of the cachers--not by name but it was obvious.

Seriously, people. It's a game. It's supposed to be fun. For me it's a break from the everyday BS, not an extension of it. And, don't try to involve me in the BS. I'm just interested in finding weird/cool stuff that people have hidden.

Actually, what irks me more are cachers who find a cache that I (or anyone else) puts a lot of thought and effort into, and then posts a log that doesn't even mention the cacha, and instead talks about the number of finds they had that day, or the challenge they're working on.

This. I wouldn't say it is my #1 complaint, but it certainly has discouraged me from placing numbers-hound-compliant caches.

Too often in the forums we confuse long logs and good logs. A good log is often long, but long logs are not necessarily good.

Howdy......

I agree...

Vern / Foothills Drifter... B)

This. I wouldn't say it is my #1 complaint, but it certainly has discouraged me from placing numbers-hound-compliant caches.

Too often in the forums we confuse long logs and good logs. A good log is often long, but long logs are not necessarily good.

For example, here's a log that was posted on one of my caches last Saturday (Get Outdoors Day).

"On my way home from work. Decided to chose this cache for the badge today."

I'm afraid I'm guilty of that, at least once. :unsure:

In my defense, it was the quintessential crappy cache: Film can, in a boring spot, with a copy/paste cache page.

Clan Riffster found Arizona - Lake Mary Road Numbers Run

Saturday, 13 July 2013

Arizona...

A few fun facts:

Apparently the good folks of Arizona are quite patient, as they were the last of the 48 contiguous states to join our Union, jumping on the bandwagon on February 14th, 1912.

Arizona is one of the noted "Four Corners" states, sharing that honor with Colorado, New Mexico and Utah. This is the only place in the United States where you can stand in four states at the same time. I wonder if there's a cache there?

Though Arizonans were slow to sign on with the Union, it appears that they are working hard to make themselves voices to be reckoned with, as it is the 15th most populous state. Way to breed, guys! ( and gals, of course)

About 25% of Arizona is owned by American Indian tribes, to include the Navajo, the Hopi, the Zuni and the Apache.

The nickname for Arizona is The Grand Canyon State, as this is where you will find this awesome national treasure.

The highest elevation in Arizona can be found on Humphrey's Peak, at 12,637 feet. The lowest elevation is the Colorado River, at 22 feet. That's quite a climb!

The current belief regarding where Arizona got it's name is that it comes from an earlier Spanish name, "Arizonac", derived from the O'odham Indian name Ali Sonak, which translates to small spring. Yes, the 6th largest state in the Union is named after a tiny trickle of water. Go figure. Ironic, given how much of the state is desert. Maybe the O'odham have a sense of humor?

Anywho, I needed one cache for my souvenir. I am on a special detail for my boss, and spare time is a rarity. Sadly, I must resort to a P&G film can. I picked this one since it was close.

Edited by Clan Riffster

My selection of disliked geocaches is as follows:

I guess everything depends on one's personal preferences. For me geocaching is no game at all and I do not mind formulas like the

one above. I can perform such calculation while walking. On the contrary I do not like lengthy searches for cache containers (be it the final

or intermediary stages of a multi cache.

Again, if the number of windows is small (smaller than say 10), I like such tasks. They are quickly done and one can concentrate on the hike. One does not lose

one's walking rhythm and accompanying people who neither appreciate to wait nor to take part in geocaching are less annoyed.

I do have caches which I never would visit in Winter when there is ice and snow. I'm then not able to get there - others more skilled hikers might well get there, but not me. As long as a cache description does not promise that a cache is reachable at all seasons and under all conditions, I do not see any issue.

As I cannot maintain such caches in Winter anyway, there is no need that they need to be accessible under heavy Winter conditions.

- Multi-steps where you have to walk three km in one direction and then return 3 km exactly along the same highway.

Once again I do not mind that except if it is really a highway, but then I do not enjoy the one way approach either.

For me the hike or bicycle tour has priority one. Geocaching has priority two. I'm looking for something to reduce my stress level from work - I do not seek for adventures or playing games.

If you ask 100 geocachers, you will end up with 100 different lists of preferences.

Cezanne

Cezanne