What Irks you most?

The last one I ran into was marked D1/T1. No way on either of those!!

That's another big time irk! Cache owners that don't use the GC rating system when choosing their D/T ratings. Sometimes it seems like the CO pulled the numbers out of a hat. The link to the rating system is pretty obvious on the online form. Some people with mobility issues rely on accurate T ratings. It's frustrating and a waste of time and gas money when a T2 or under geocache turns out to be a T3 (or over) cache - steep slope, rock pile, bushwack through trees and logs, tree climb.

I'm 100% on board with poor D/T ratings as my #1 irk.

My son and I cache together & he is physically disabled (so yes there are cachers in wheel chairs). We have some CO's in our area that hide great caches in spectacular area's including awesome multi's and puzzles, that just blow it when it comes to D/T ratings. I've learned to talk to other finders of high quality potential caches, to really understand what we are getting into. We'll do 3 & 4 terrain caches, but need to plan ahead and bring along help for the rough spots.

BTW - If you asked my son what irks him, he'd say LPC's!

Do you find caches with pointlessly high D/T ratings annoy you as well?

I remember one I found in Pennsylvania that was rated something like 2.5/3 and turned out to be at ground level within about 30 feet of the parking, along a flat gravel path. As an able-bodied cacher I was left puzzled why the terrain was as high as 3 and reading your post I wondered if caching with your son would have left the two of you expecting a challenge and allocating time/resources/etc only to find you could park the car and realise the cache is at the foot of the tree over there.

Yes.

It seems to me that the way the new cache rating icons are displayed while using the cache listing tool are pretty clear. I can see how we all could be off by a 1/2 a point in either direction, but full point or more seems rediculous.

For terrain ratigs: I also find that some CO's who do use the grade factor only do not always take into account things such as rocks, roots, thorns, slippery surfaces like the shale creek beds we have in my area.

IMO - The problem starts with some CO's not recognizing a 5 D or T for the general population. There are certain criteria that makes a 5 a 5, once this criteria is met there may be additional difficulty to the find or the terrain, but it's still just a 5. If a CO has found that crazy hard 5/5 hide (i.e. a nano disguised as a twig hidden 20' up a tree that's growing 100' up a 200' sheer cliff face, after solving a backwards Baconian cypher puzzle to get to leg 1 of a 12 part multi to get to this final) Every cache that is slightly easier does not become a 4 1/2D x 4 1/2T or less.

Oops... I just explained my next hide that I'll release next April fools day as a 1/1 with leg 1 being a LPC in a Walmart parking lot. [:b]

Sorry for the long winded explanation. I have lots of thoughts on this subject because it irks me so much.

I am a big advocate of using the rating system and making small adjustments as needed, always! Per the rating system, I am capable of getting to a 4T cache, and would have to use my judgement on a 4.5T. What messes things up is when our local guy who hikes 40 miles each and every week of his life and has bagged the 200 highest peaks in the US, places a 4.4T and rates it as a 2.5T based on his abilities, instead of the rating system.

We have the same type guy here. The bummer is he hides caches in some of the nicest places, & creates excellent puzzles. My son and I are learning to bump his ratings up by 1 1/2 no matter what. Too bad we don't get the well rounded cacher credit for finding them though.

I really really hate it when I get to a cache and find that it was placed within view of a (busy) road where lots of people will drive by and see you looking for the cache. Especially if the cache isn't obvious and easy to find.

I mean, it's one thing if it's obvious - you just make the find real quick, sign it discretely, and then move on... those are "okay" I guess (I'd still prefer a secluded area). But I really hate it when it's NOT obvious where it is.

I'm not at all interested in having everyone drive by and see me digging around in the branches of a pine tree trying to figure out where the heck your little "mirco" is hidden... no thanks.

• Upvote 1

People who cheat on puzzle caches, specifically by getting the final coordinates from another cacher. If you have no desire to do the puzzle, then pass it by. I'm sure there's a film canister out there with your name on it. :rolleyes:

Puzzle caches irk me, the point of Geocaching is to get outside not to sit in on my butt in front of a computer googling random quotes, images or ciphers or just trying to get into some random persons head to try and figure out what he/she was thinking.

Why are you sitting in front of a computer complaining? You could be challenging your mind with a really good puzzle. :D

Just had to do that.

People who cheat on puzzle caches, specifically by getting the final coordinates from another cacher. If you have no desire to do the puzzle, then pass it by. I'm sure there's a film canister out there with your name on it. :rolleyes:

Puzzle caches irk me, the point of Geocaching is to get outside not to sit in on my butt in front of a computer googling random quotes, images or ciphers or just trying to get into some random persons head to try and figure out what he/she was thinking.

Why are you sitting in front of a computer complaining? You could be challenging your mind with a really good puzzle. :D

Just had to do that.

Actually I just got back from a 40 km bike ride, I get paid big bucks to think at work, I'm not gonna do it for free for some random CO.

Just had to do that.

Good one! :laughing:

There are seven deadly sins, right?

I could easily think of six related to geocaching, but had difficulty coming up with a seventh.

Drumroll, please.

1. hide techniques that make geocaching look disreputable
  2. bad coordinates, deliberate or from not caring
  3. claiming finds without actually finding the cache
  4. overrated size/underrated terrain
  5. useless hints
  6. stealing geocoins
  7. ambiguous puzzles, more than one solution

Challenge caches because they make this recreational activity about numbers/statistics. And because it's a cache that you can find but not log.

Puzzle caches because they make this outdoor recreational activity more about sitting at a computer and performing a mental activity that is designed to show just how clever the puzzle author is.

Challenge caches because they make this recreational activity about numbers/statistics. And because it's a cache that you can find but not log.

Puzzle caches because they make this outdoor recreational activity more about sitting at a computer and performing a mental activity that is designed to show just how clever the puzzle author is.

But Don, you OWN a puzzle cache. :unsure:

I can see the point re puzzles - but they're easily ignored on the map on GC.com so if you don't like them, you can forget about them. There are some puzzles I've seen that are so involved that I've not given them much thought.

There is the argument, though, that even planning a walk involving several trads, is going to have you in front of your pc looking at the logs and so on before setting off. (I'm going across the Channel to Calais next month. There's a cache there which is obviously missing but the CO has only Written Note, not Disabled. People are walking a mile to it and getting cross that it's not there. Well why didn't you do some homework first???)

2 of my 5 caches are puzzles and as such don't get much traffic. One involves some leteral thinking and possibly web research; the other is really just using the ? icon as it's not a trad or a multi (but come on, if there was an arrowed sign in your home town saying "MAGNETTE CLOSE ->", what would you do?) so people who venture to GZ have a smile and a QEF.

Compare and contrast puzzles to multis - I've really enjoyed all the multis I've done, they can be like "old fashioned" teasure hunts, finding numbers on signposts, even in museums etc. But these, too, seem to get very low traffic.

Bad D/T ratings - yes, seen a few of those but can only think of about 3 out of 560 that were very wrong. Pot under stone by notice board is not D3.5; plastic ivy leaf is not D5!!!; halfway up a steep muddy bank is not T1.

I'll stick to badly maintained caches as Irk #1. If you no longer have the time, just archive them.

>Puzzle caches because they make this outdoor recreational activity

>more about sitting at a computer and performing a mental activity

> that is designed to show just how clever the puzzle author is.

EXACTLY !!

if only some of them waste-my-time puzzles was at least a bit fun to solve

or educate people ? or a bit geocache related !!

any one can make a puzzle, close to impossible to solve..

a real clever person could make a puzzle:

fun, solveable, geocache related, add value to my time spend on it..

so it is not WASTED.. like work for free, like Roman so nicely put it :-)

The day Groundspeak realize what they actually wrote on their main page:

Geocaching is a free real-world outdoor treasure hunt.

Players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches,

using a smartphone or GPS and can then share their experiences online.

it is NOT :

Geocaching is a troublesome task behind a PC where players work for many hrs

or even many days to try locate hidden cordinates,

then they go out and seek wet film canisters so they can sign it, and ern a smiley online.

People do not share their real experiance online, since the truth is not wanted.

Edited by OZ2CPU

Well I guess everyone likes different aspects of the game. I can honestly say that many of my favourite caches have been mystery caches. Yes, the best ones involve some thinking and then lots of activity on the ground, but even the 'pure' puzzle caches give you something to do on wet, cold, snowy, horrible days when you can't get outside.

>give you something to do on wet, cold, snowy, horrible days when you can't get outside.

why not spend time with wife and kids or other family or other friends ?

"Geocaching is an OUTDOOR adventure"

This means puzzle with crypric numbers or creating pc programs to brake codes

has NOTHING to do with Geocaching..

it is as simple as that :-)

then they go out and seek wet film canisters so they can sign it, and ern a smiley online.

People do not share their real experiance online, since the truth is not wanted.

Technically by your example, logging your find online is not associated with the outdoors either. There really is no reason to log each cache twice. Letterboxing has no online logs.

However there are plenty of field puzzles, as well as people that sit in the park to solve them on their laptops, or on printed sheets at ground zero. Puzzles also give geocaching creativity as well as a treasure seeking type of challenge. There really is no difficulty in most hides to look on a google map and know where something is. Many people do not even take the time to read cache pages nowadays. They just download the coords and hint and head out the door. They do so many there is nothing unique about them and just end up posting a bunch of copy and paste logs without bothering to hide them back correctly. Puzzles are the ultimate speed bump, if you don't like them, just swerve around them.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

... but even the 'pure' puzzle caches give you something to do on wet, cold, snowy, horrible days when you can't get outside.

But if you just want a puzzle to solve, that's covered by tons of online puzzle and game sites.

I think some puzzle owners forget about the important geocaching part of a geocache.

Edited by L0ne R

Puzzles also give geocaching creativity as well as a treasure seeking type of challenge.

I agree, there are some good puzzles out there that truly combine the geocaching experience with the puzzle. For instance, I did an airport puzzle -- quite do-able, not difficult, meant to be solved and to not stump people. The swag size cache was located near a small airport with a nice view of Cessnas taking off and landing.

But there are plenty of puzzles out there that are designed around the puzzle. A tricky puzzle not meant for many to solve and when solved, not really meant to provide any kind of nice geocaching experience. Usually a pill bottle (with a moldy logsheet) in a parking lot because the point of the "geocache" is the puzzle not the cache or location.

Edited by L0ne R

... but even the 'pure' puzzle caches give you something to do on wet, cold, snowy, horrible days when you can't get outside.

But if you just want a puzzle to solve, that's covered by tons of online puzzle and game sites.

I think some puzzle owners forget about the important geocaching part of a geocache.

Yes - if you just want a puzzle to solve, that's a fix a person can get through channels other than geocaching.

But for those (many?) who like puzzle caches it's not just about the puzzle - it's about enjoying the combination of both aspects - puzzle and cache - as one whole :)

And ideally both aspects are of high quality B)

And yes - it's a matter of personal taste - just like every other aspect of geocaching.

]

And yes - it's a matter of personal taste - just like every other aspect of geocaching.

If it was a matter of personal taste this thread would not exist, it's about everyone telling everyone else how the game shoud be payed.

These are my irks. Some of which are the same as others who have already posted to this thread.

Garbage in caches/inappropriate items - rocks, bottle caps, food items

Cache owners not maintaining their caches despite several DNF's and/or a maintenance flag.

Container size/terrain rating inaccurate. Then, cache owner not even updating cache page after a finder let's owner know.

Poor cache placements — 20 feet in front of a busy store entrance, on a busy road where there's no sidewalk, right next to someone's residence (despite it "technically" being on public property)

Missing/stolen geocoins

Useless hints

People who take a swag item and leave nothing.

People who stop caching/move out of the area and don’t adopt out their caches or archive them. The caches usually end of deteriorating to the point where someone eventually flags a “needs archived”.

Cache owners placing regular/large size caches and put 2 small swag items - Kind of pointless. May as place a small cache instead.

People who cheat - Logging as found when a find was not made, asking for puzzle solutions, etc.

Agreed. And a great cache location wasted for many because someone wanted to make you jump through hoops to log.

At least it is jumping through hoops finding caches. How many great locations are wasted by puzzle caches that only a slim minority of cachers can solve after jumping through hoops on their computers?

1. People who send mean emails because you requested maintenance on a couple of caches

2. Wasp nests, spider webs, or any kind of animal/habitat under a lamp skirt

3. Any cache that turns into a field day for the bomb squad

4. Garbage covering GZ, might as well go dumpster diving

5. Event stackers or multiple attended logs on an event by the same person

The rat corpse I found under a LP skirt ended those for me forever. Gross.

At least it is jumping through hoops finding caches. How many great locations are wasted by puzzle caches that only a slim minority of cachers can solve after jumping through hoops on their computers?

Zero. Placing a geocache does not "waste" the spot.

Perhaps you meant to ask instead, "how many great spots do puzzle caches make unavailable to cachers who cannot solve the puzzles?"

The answer there is: a minute fraction of "great spots."

In the big scheme of things, the impact of puzzle caches is tiny compared to that of, say, power trails. Probably it's about the same magnitude effect as that of 5-star terrain caches that require special equipment. Why not let those of us who enjoy them have our fun? Is it really that important that everyone be capable of logging every cache?

Perhaps you meant to ask instead, "how many great spots do puzzle caches make unavailable to cachers who cannot solve the puzzles?"

In the big scheme of things, the impact of puzzle caches is tiny compared to that of, say, power trails. Probably it's about the same magnitude effect as that of 5-star terrain caches that require special equipment. Why not let those of us who enjoy them have our fun? Is it really that important that everyone be capable of logging every cache?

Point is a few people are "irked" by thse that get puzzle solutions from others ,some even call it cheating. The point of a puzzle is to figure out the final coordinates, what difference does it make how I figure thm out?

If I use logic and figure out the final based on what's posted on the cache page by the CO but don't solve the puzzle, did I cheat?

If I use posted logs to figure out the coordinates, did I cheat?

If the co gives me a hint, did I cheat?

If a friend gives me a hint, did I cheat?

If either walk e through solving it, dd I cheat?

If the answer to any is no then getting the coordinates can not be cheating either as I just "solved the puzzle" my own way, but what irks me is COs that think they have a right to tell me how I have to solve their puzzle.

Edited by Roman!

I just hid a puzzle. It was a pain trying to find a place to put it because many of the trails in this are are now "power trails" with a pill bottle every 528 ft. Recent finds on some of my puzzles were done by brute force - were there was a gap on the trail of just over .2 miles, so the finder use the hint and was able to find the cache without solving the puzzle. I hid my latest puzzle a little off the trail so that when inevitably this trail gets populated, at least the seeker will have to wander a bit more to find it.

I still believe it would be a win/win to allow traditional caches to be closer than 528 to a hidden waypoint, say 100 meters (328 feet). This would mean that puzzle caches will "waste" less area for those that don't like them and also that for those who do like puzzles that they could squeezed one in a where two traditionals are 656 feet apart.

No, I meant exactly what I wrote. I was using the exact same context as the post I was responding to.

The impact of puzzles can not be compared to any other cache as the exact spot taken up by the puzzle is unknown. There are communities that are approaching 50% puzzle saturation. There are now puzzle power trails and large areas of open space taken up by puzzle geoart.

This simply isn't the same argument as it was five years ago. In some areas, "Just ignore them" is no longer an option as they are impossible to avoid.

More and more people are coming to the forums to complain that they can't seem to get around the hidden waypoints in their area and are finding difficult to hide their own caches. This is evolving from just newbies spitting sour grapes to well thought out posts by veteran caches who's game is being affected by hidden waypoints.

A post last week really brought it to light. A small park that can support one cache. It seems that a puzzle final has been in the park for years but less than a handful of cachers have been able to solve the puzzle. We can debate if that space is being wasted or simply unavailable, but the fact is that for the vast majority of cachers in that area, the park can't be used to hide or seek a cache. Yes, that is just one small park in the grand scheme of things, but in some areas, it's all of the parks. There is no longer a happy medium.

I don't know what the solution is and I don't want to sound like I'm just a complainer, but I do see it as becoming more of a problem. I just thought that it was odd that someone was slamming challenge caches because they reduce the availability to just certain cachers, while puzzle do that in a far greater magnitude, while also creating other adverse issues as well.

More and more people are coming to the forums to complain that they can't seem to get around the hidden waypoints in their area and are finding difficult to hide their own caches. This is evolving from just newbies spitting sour grapes to well thought out posts by veteran caches who's game is being affected by hidden waypoints.

The problem here is not puzzle caches (or multi's with various 'hidden' stages, which I think are a much bigger problem in this context), but the inability from Groundspeak to provide a tool which warns of proximity issues when placing a cache (creating the listing).

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

You're right about that and admittedly I am guilty of this as well.

I realise this is (also) an argument simply not to place a cache...but: Here in Copenhagen the whole city is saturated with caches. A lot are traditionals with a micro tugged into some corner and otherwise absolutely nothing interesting either on the location or in the cache description. With that in mind, a puzzle at least makes the cache interesting, even if the puzzle has no relation to geocaching. And in the end I would prefer spending a rainy afternoon solving a puzzle and be rewarded with a smiley than not going out at all.

As said before, it is a choice to solve a puzzle or not; if you don't like a cache (puzzle or otherwise) you can always ignore it.

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

]

If it was a matter of personal taste this thread would not exist, it's about everyone telling everyone else how the game shoud be payed.

I thought the thread was about people sharing what irks them most...

]

It is and what irks people the most is how others choose to play.

Edited by Roman!
]

Which brings us back to personal taste...

]

Yes, and your personal taste irks people on this forum, as does mine, as does everyone else's, hence this thread.

Edited by Roman!
]

Yes, and your personal taste irks people on this forum, as does mine, as does everyone else's, hence this thread.

So is the thread about personal taste or about telling everyone else how the game shoud(sic) be payed(sic)?

(Not that it matters that much to me given that the original comment of mine you seem to have taken issue with related purely to puzzle caches rather than to the thread as a whole.)

Agreed. And a great cache location wasted for many because someone wanted to make you jump through hoops to log.

A lot fewer than the number of spots every .1 of a mile along the side of the road that are so easy that "finding the cache" take no effort whatsoever.

Well I guess everyone likes different aspects of the game. I can honestly say that many of my favourite caches have been mystery caches. Yes, the best ones involve some thinking and then lots of activity on the ground, but even the 'pure' puzzle caches give you something to do on wet, cold, snowy, horrible days when you can't get outside.

Some folks enjoy flexing their gray matter. I know I do. Even on dang near impossible to solve puzzle caches. The process of deeply involved deduction and reason is a happy place for me. Actually solving the puzzle is an added bonus. If the puzzle I'm crunching leads to a geocache, logic dictates that it is geocaching related.

Other folks don't enjoy working out with their brains.

Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Clan Riffster
]

I just read this whole thread again.

Not a single post is dictating how someone else must play.

That's none, as in zero.

Lots of opinions though.

Lots of personal tastes expressed.

I still remember looking for a missing LPC at a grocery story when this geocacher drove up. He said the cache was missing and went on to tell me about his day. He apparently had found a cache in four or five different states that day and had completed his grid or something. He then told me he lived in the area and had thousands of geocache finds. I got all excited thinking that with this guy's vast experience, he must have some awesome hides of himself close by. Nada, he had never hidden a single cache. I logged the DNF and drove home.

So yeah, it slightly irks me that are some folks that find thousands of caches every year, yet apparently don't have the time to hide and maintain a single cache of their own.

Try giving a little back to the game instead of making it all about you and your geocaching accomplishents IMO.

I'm personally more impressed by the guy that hides one awesome/legendary cache than the guy that finds 10,000 caches in a year. The previous requires real thought, the latter just requires time.

Edited by mobywv
]

That's none, as in zero.

Lots of opinions though.

If you waited 1 post longer you wouldn't be able to say that :lol:

• Funny 1

I still remember looking for a missing LPC at a grocery story when this geocacher drove up. He said the cache was missing and went on to tell me about his day. He apparently had found a cache in four or five different states that day and had completed his grid or something. He then told me he lived in the area and had thousands of geocache finds. I got all excited thinking that with this guy's vast experience, he must have some awesome hides of himself close by. Nada, he had never hidden a single cache. I logged the DNF and drove home.

So yeah, it slightly irks me that are some folks that find thousands of caches every year, yet apparently don't have the time to hide and maintain a single cache of their own.

Try giving a little back to the game instead of making it all about you and your geocaching accomplishents IMO.

I'm personally more impressed by the guy that hides one awesome/legendary cache than the guy that finds 10,000 caches in a year. The previous requires real thought, the latter just requires time.

What's worse is the guy that doesn't have the time to hide or maintain a cache, but hides them anyway because of community pressure to pay some sort of "geotax" for the caches he is finding. I have seen those that think that they are required to hide a cache for so many that they have found. These almost always turn out to be disposable style problem caches.

Cachers that can't carry on a simple conversation or post a log without bragging about how great of a geocacher they are, irks me.

]

That's none, as in zero.

Lots of opinions though.

If you waited 1 post longer you wouldn't be able to say that :lol:

Nope. Still not seeing it.

I did see a post where mobywv offered their opinion.

Maybe this is a comprehension issue on my part?

I go out of my way to help newbies, but the DNF log here really irks me. When it first popped up, they had been a member for 2 days and had found about 7 caches. I have found over 6K. Yesterday I looked for 4 and only found 1. I would never declare that the other three are missing, though I think one of them may be.

70ba2d64-0339-4a22-bff6-e1b2dfcf8552.jpg?rnd=0.8013531

I go out of my way to help newbies, but the DNF log here really irks me. When it first popped up, they had been a member for 2 days and had found about 7 caches. I have found over 6K. Yesterday I looked for 4 and only found 1. I would never declare that the other three are missing, though I think one of them may be.

This bothers you? I find it hilarious! :laughing:

What's worse is the guy that doesn't have the time to hide or maintain a cache, but hides them anyway because of community pressure to pay some sort of "geotax" for the caches he is finding. I have seen those that think that they are required to hide a cache for so many that they have found. These almost always turn out to be disposable style problem caches.
Amen.

Some people can't maintain caches. They shouldn't hide them.

Besides, there are other ways to "give a little back to the game" besides hiding (unmaintained) caches.

When I make the extra effort to solve a puzzle I want the CO to make the extra effort to reward puzzle solvers with a quality swag size container in at least a decent location.

I totally agree. Admittedly, my first puzzle ends up in a pretty boring spot with a small container, but the rest of my puzzles end in much better locations with decent-sized containers. My flagship cache ends with a large regular with an outstanding view.

Think I know that flagship cache! What I really loved was how all your planning came together.

What irks me is how I keep second-guessing myself about placing another hide........

When I make the extra effort to solve a puzzle I want the CO to make the extra effort to reward puzzle solvers with a quality swag size container in at least a decent location.

I totally agree. Admittedly, my first puzzle ends up in a pretty boring spot with a small container, but the rest of my puzzles end in much better locations with decent-sized containers. My flagship cache ends with a large regular with an outstanding view.

Think I know that flagship cache! What I really loved was how all your planning came together.

What irks me is how I keep second-guessing myself about placing another hide........

Just do it! :D

Having someone come by and archive your cache for no reason. No contact attempted with CO nothing. Just a note Archived for being in restricted area. When the area it is in is clearly not in the restricted category on geocaching.com.

Or

Having cache reviewers that make up rules as they go. Then contact cache owners and DEMAND they remove over 50% of their caches because this new made up rule now applies.