What Irks you most?

Putting a puzzle solving group on Facebook where anyone can ask for a puzzle to be solved for them.

And then having had the puzzle solved for them, write a cr@ppy log complaining about the difficult puzzle and then hand out the coordinates like sweets to anyone else who also can't be bothered to solve the puzzle either.

• Upvote 3

Logged from my phone using the Geocache Navigator by TrimblePeople who are too lazy to turn off the stupid ad in their software, forcing the rest of us to read through it to get to the content of their log, if any.

As a result, I hate Trimble with a passion, and will never ever buy anything with that name on it. Score -1 for advertising.

Considering that Canada is the only place where Blackberry still has more than 1% of the smartphone market, I think that might be just a Canadian thing. I haven't seen a "Logged from my phone using the Geocache Navigator by Trimble" log since about 2011. :ph34r:

P.S., and that's even living 7 miles from Canada. :anicute:

EDIT: I'm totally just messing with you, with a big smile on my face. But it is true that "Geocache Navigator by Trimble" (which is only available for BlackBerry), is the only 3rd party app that ever had advertising language when posting a log. I wonder why that is, it is kind of strange.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

People who don't take hiding a cache seriously - who don't put out the best cache they can with the finders' overall experience in mind.

This includes newbies who hide a cache during the honeymoon phase. With little or no experience, little or no understanding of the game and with no commitment to the game.

Edited by L0ne R
  • Upvote 1

I agree with the puzzles that end up being a blasted micro on the side of the road. I have put most puzzles here on hold because so many are like that. Another one is if you are going to place 25 caches, having a few within 40 feet of your coords would be nice! I don't have time to search 60+ feet on the caches in every direction, I like P&G's to be just that, P&G's, not park, search, search over here, oh wait didn't check 50 feet further here, nope try again. And again and........ Oh micros in the woods. There is ten million spots and could easily place a regular sized one anywhere, just to find that the entire string of caches on the trail are all micros. A let down for sure when you are hiking with kids. That is all mine. For now ;)

• Upvote 3

Vent time:

• Why do cache owners get all uppity when you ask them to remove a TB from their inventory which is not in the cache? Has happened on numerous occasions despite polite note.

• Puzzle cache saturation. I appreciate that all sorts of people like doing all sorts of caches but when a 4 mile square area contains nothing but headbreaking puzzle caches requiring hours at the computer then that area becomes off limits to anyone who wants to maybe just got for a nice walk and grab some caches. Some balance required rather than, as it seems in the majority of the cases, just showing how clever you are.

• People posting "Needs Maintenance" because the log book is either a)full or b)wet or destroyed. To my mind, the effort required to carry a few spare logs and replacing where necessary is minimal and yet everyone benefits, logging can continue and no more "Needs Maintenance" logs :rolleyes: It takes more time to place a "Needs Maintenance" note than to replace the log. The rosy glow that you helped the cachers behind you is also nice too.

Great game in general, can honestly say it's changed my life completely, I now have much more in-depth knowledge of the history of this area and the great hidden delights it contains, thank you everyone for sharing that.

Mr Crazyhedgehog

Caches placed on private land without permission and for caches on private land with permission not listing that permission was given.

Not much fun being questioned by a land owner only to find out the person that hid the cache did not have permission.

<_<

• Upvote 2

• Puzzle cache saturation. I appreciate that all sorts of people like doing all sorts of caches but when a 4 mile square area contains nothing but headbreaking puzzle caches requiring hours at the computer then that area becomes off limits to anyone who wants to maybe just got for a nice walk and grab some caches. Some balance required rather than, as it seems in the majority of the cases, just showing how clever you are.

Often the CO didn't even create the puzzle, they copied it from some puzzle book that supplied the answer.

• People posting "Needs Maintenance" because the log book is either a)full or b)wet or destroyed. To my mind, the effort required to carry a few spare logs and replacing where necessary is minimal and yet everyone benefits, logging can continue and no more "Needs Maintenance" logs :rolleyes: It takes more time to place a "Needs Maintenance" note than to replace the log. The rosy glow that you helped the cachers behind you is also nice too.

Wet logbook? discussion

Why don't people log "Needs Maintence" discussion

If the logbook is wet, replacing it rarely fixes anything. The new logbook will end up wet also.

Also, full logbooks are often the most interesting part of the cache. Having someone else remove them and replace it with a crappy replacement with pages falling out, rather than the owner, is irksome.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

Here's one: Morons who hide ammo cans on mountaintops.

First off, they are such a pain to get to. Do you think I have the friggen energy to climb all the way up there? What is wrong with the parking lot at the bottom? Second, being able to look out for several miles can make one dizzy, causing vertigo. Do you even care about the welfare of your fellow cachers? Thirdly, they very rarely need maintenance. This condition breeds lazy owners. A nice film can will draw water on a consistent basis, giving attentive owners a chance to show that they care. They also stimulate other cachers into performing maintenance, showing that they care also. Plus, why hide an ammo can anywhere, when a micro will do? </rant>

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 4

First off, they are such a pain to get to. Do you think I have the friggen energy to climb all the way up there? What is wrong with the parking lot at the bottom?

Parking lot? If they really wanted to be considerate, they would hide them on my front porch, but nooooooooooooooo....

• Upvote 1

First off, they are such a pain to get to. Do you think I have the friggen energy to climb all the way up there? What is wrong with the parking lot at the bottom?

Parking lot? If they really wanted to be considerate, they would hide them on my front porch, but nooooooooooooooo....

I'll get right on it.

Put up a private property, no trespassing sign, and consider it done!

[*]People posting "Needs Maintenance" because the log book is either a)full or b)wet or destroyed. To my mind, the effort required to carry a few spare logs and replacing where necessary is minimal and yet everyone benefits, logging can continue and no more "Needs Maintenance" logs :rolleyes: It takes more time to place a "Needs Maintenance" note than to replace the log. The rosy glow that you helped the cachers behind you is also nice too.

What really irks me is lazy cache owners who expect everyone else to maintain their cache.

• Upvote 2

Someone may want to correct me on this, me being a noob n all.

After today, I think my "irk" (and I am willing to be educated/corrected) is a single cache wiping out an entire area.

I have gone to place a cache today, and an entire beautiful area, with ponds, woods, grassy areas etc is completely non hideable due to a "church micro" just across the road. There are so many good hiding places there for a decent sized, fun cache, but a micro puzzle in a church graveyard ruins it.

Likewise, there is a massive bit of open woodland not far from me, with enough room to hide at least 5 good caches in (adhering to the saturation rules), with lovely views, and a good fun time to be had with kids etc etc, but there is a single multi waypoint puzzle cache wiping out the entire place.

Just seems a little limiting in my view.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

1: Puzzle Caches. Put them in another category, like the now-defunct Challenges.

A: If you have to put one out...

(2): make the actual geocache commensurate with the puzzle difficulty. A 4.0/1.5 puzzle is just lazy and rude.

This makes little sense to me. *shrug*

Should a traditional in a high T area *also* be hard to find? I have found a bunch of obvious ammo can's in T4 areas. I don't see why you would hold puzzles to a different standard.

Why should a difficult puzzle **ALSO** need to be in difficult terrain? Just not logical.

That being said, I agree with your other point. Put a geo-checker on the web page. Especially if the location is hard to get to.

Wasn't talking about traditionals, was talking about puzzle/mystery caches. A quick look at your profile reveals why you think that way. 23 Blue Squiggleys placed, and about 5 of them have the puzzle difficulty coming anywhere near the terrain difficulty.

I say it again, a good puzzle cache (if there is such a thing...) should have the puzzle difficulty somewhat commensurate with the terrain difficulty. It supposed to be about finding the geocache, not doing some inane puzzle.

Edited by GrizzFlyer

1: Puzzle Caches. Put them in another category, like the now-defunct Challenges.

(2): make the actual geocache commensurate with the puzzle difficulty. A 4.0/1.5 puzzle is just lazy and rude.

Should a traditional in a high T area *also* be hard to find? I have found a bunch of obvious ammo can's in T4 areas. I don't see why you would hold puzzles to a different standard.

Why should a difficult puzzle **ALSO** need to be in difficult terrain? Just not logical.

That being said, I agree with your other point. Put a geo-checker on the web page. Especially if the location is hard to get to.

Wasn't talking about traditionals, was talking about puzzle/mystery caches. A quick look at your profile reveals why you think that way. 23 Blue Squiggleys placed, and about 5 of them have the puzzle difficulty coming anywhere near the terrain difficulty.

I say it again, a good puzzle cache (if there is such a thing...) should have the puzzle difficulty somewhat commensurate with the terrain difficulty. It supposed to be about finding the geocache, not doing some inane puzzle.

Quite a few puzzle makers purposely put the puzzle finals in urban 1.5 terrain areas, so they don't block off any good spots that others may use for traditionals. This is done to purposely avoid irking other cachers...

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
  • Upvote 1

Quite a few puzzle makers purposely put the puzzle finals in urban 1.5 terrain areas, so they don't block off any good spots that others may use for traditionals. This is done to purposely avoid irking other cachers...

Funny, you never hear multi-cache owners say that.

People with this attitude - (Actual Log)

"I don't think I have mentioned this before, but I really despise when people don't post their finds right away on FTF I could have just grabbed this on my way to work this evening but no.... I didn't see any logs an for once I wasn't in a hurry to go home and sleep after a 12 hour night shift or already in bed sleeping. Grrrr! 2nd is fine but I wish I was in my bed and I haven't wasted the gas for this. Think I'm done with ftfs for a while.

On a lighter note... I LOVE the cache!!! Very creative! My map showed it in the middle of the street though hmm. Prolly just my silly cell phone. Tfth!!!"

Edited by Fiver1
  • Upvote 1

I absolutely HATE when I'm 2 miles into the woods on hiking trails and there is precious caching space wasted on micros. You could successfully hide a car in some of the places I hike, yet I repeatedly find my self searching for incredibly long periods of time for a film container. Put some thought into your cache and make it truly worthwhile for those who are willing to make the journey to it.

I completely agree with Chino 1130. I can't tell you how many micros I have wasted time on in the middle of the desert. I know, it's still my choice to do so because I know the size in most cases, but to me it seems senseless to waste good open space to hide a bison tube.

• Love 1

A couple of mine are:

1) No maintenance on a cache or response from CO after multiple DNFs on relatively easy caches.

2) Newbies with less than 50 cache finds placing caches. Went after one last month that the CO had 1 find (in another state) and hid one up in a tree.

3) Caches published by COs that do not live in the same state as the cache they placed it in (and not likely to do maintenance).

4) Negativity in the Forums here. If you don't have anything positive to contribute or say, don't say anything. Some people have nothing better to do than micro-analyze a post, tear it to shreds because of a misspelled word or they don't agree with the posting. Too bad these forums aren't monitored because a lot of good could come from here if Groundspeak had actual moderators that addressed [these].

Edited by Keystone
edited by actual moderator to remove potty language.

Negativity in the Forums here. If you don't have anything positive to contribute or say, don't say anything. Some people have nothing better to do than micro-analyze a post, tear it to shreds because of a misspelled word or they don't agree with the posting. Too bad these forums aren't monitored because a lot of good could come from here if Groundspeak had actual moderators that addressed [these].

Here's me not saying anything at all about this part of your post...

Edited by Keystone
edited by actual moderator to remove potty language in quoted post.

Funny, you never hear multi-cache owners say that.

Multi cache owners are a different species. Many puzzles are only supposed to be about solving the puzzle, not anything special location or hide. Multi caches are all about location or clever stages.

• Upvote 2

What irks me is caches that break the rules/guidelines.

Some have been mentioned here already but specifically I mean these two:

1) hides on private property with out permission or acknowledged permission on the cache page.

2) buried or partially buried caches.

And instead ends up irking other cachers.

I wish those who believe this way would just look at a map. The globe is chock full of interesting places which do not have caches anywhere close to the 528' mark. It's such an inane excuse that it makes me want to look for alternative reasons why the CO would put the final to a great puzzle in such a crappy location, purposely using a crappy container.

<Insert debate regarding the finer points of Occam>

• Love 1

My toughest puzzle was placed with a T1. Yes... T1. I did that so people in wheelchairs can have the fun of solving a tough puzzle AND actually finding it. People shouldn't HAVE to climb a mountain to find a tough puzzle.

My 2 cents...

• Upvote 5

You're entitled to your opinion on puzzle caches in general, but the D and T ratings are different things, independent of one another. Hence why every cache has two different numbers.

Paraphrasing the knowledge books, the D rating refers to how difficult the cache is to find, the T rating refers to how difficult it is to get there.

• Upvote 2

Seeing as I've gone off topic, here are my irks.

Cut and paste logs.

Negativity about one aspect of caching that doesn't interest you. It may very well be that certain types of cache are enjoyed by others although not by you, and they may very well not enjoy the types of cache you like. Failure to recognise this.

When someone is FTF, but then they take an age to post their log online. Then I dash out, get to GZ, feel all excited that I'm going to be FTF; only to find the log is already signed.

What irks me? People who think they are entitled to be notified if they are not going to be FTF on a cache. Part of the FTF side game is not knowing if you are first and feeling the rush hit you when you find out you are. I cannot understand how such self-entitlement can motivate a person to think that they must be placated by an immediate FTF log, lest they actually be disappointed if they come in second.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

My toughest puzzle was placed with a T1. Yes... T1. I did that so people in wheelchairs can have the fun of solving a tough puzzle AND actually finding it. People shouldn't HAVE to climb a mountain to find a tough puzzle.

My 2 cents...

I think T1 finals are fine, so long as the final is in a scenic location.

I've never bought into the theory that caches should be placed in crappy locations so handicapped cachers can find them.

There is no reason a 1/1 can't be epic, unless the hider is too lazy to find a nice spot.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

If the logbook is wet, replacing it rarely fixes anything. The new logbook will end up wet also.

It depends on how it got wet in the first place. If it's got a perfectly good seal on it, only someone didn't close it properly...

That's true. Even the greatest container can fail, if closed improperly.

But for the most part, 4wheelin is spot on.

Most damp logs are the result of crappy containers.

At least that's been my experience. YMMV.

• Upvote 1

My 2 cents...

I think T1 finals are fine, so long as the final is in a scenic location.

I've never bought into the theory that caches should be placed in crappy locations so handicapped cachers can find them.

There is no reason a 1/1 can't be epic, unless the hider is too lazy to find a nice spot.

I didn't say crappy. I said wheelchair accessible.

But yes, I agree. Crappy locations don't make for good caches.

• Upvote 1

1. Garbage left in caches. Saturday we found one with an open artificial sweetener packet and a bottle cap in it.

2. People keeping GeoCoins and Travel Bugs.

Ugg - anything that attracts animals to a cache is a horrible idea.

• Upvote 2

When someone is FTF, but then they take an age to post their log online. Then I dash out, get to GZ, feel all excited that I'm going to be FTF; only to find the log is already signed.

What irks me? People who think they are entitled to be notified if they are not going to be FTF on a cache. Part of the FTF side game is not knowing if you are first and feeling the rush hit you when you find out you are. I cannot understand how such self-entitlement can motivate a person to think that they must be placated by an immediate FTF log, lest they actually be disappointed if they come in second.

+1 haha true that irks me to

• Upvote 1

+1 haha true that irks me to

See post #74

My 2 cents...

How many people in wheelchairs have solved your puzzle and found the cache? How many wheelchair cachers do you know about in your area? If I were wheelchair bound I would not enjoy being thrown a bone, I would hope people would at least try to place a T1 cache in a pleasant location.

Edited by L0ne R

My 2 cents...

How many people in wheelchairs have solved your puzzle and found the cache? How many wheelchair cachers do you know about in your area? If I were wheelchair bound I would not enjoy being thrown a bone, I would hope people would at least try to place T1 cache in a pleasant location.

There are lots of nice locations that are wheelchair accessible. I personally don't know any geocachers in wheelchairs, but I'm sure there are some.

My 2 cents...

How many people in wheelchairs have solved your puzzle and found the cache? How many wheelchair cachers do you know about in your area? If I were wheelchair bound I would not enjoy being thrown a bone, I would hope people would at least try to place a T1 cache in a pleasant location.

I never said I placed it in an unpleasant place! Why do people keep assuming that??? lol

My 2 cents...

I never said I placed it in an unpleasant place! Why do people keep assuming that??? lol

Ya gotta admit, it is pretty funny.

I guess so many T1s are in crappy locations that we, (collective), make that assumption. :lol:

Cachers who place caches on road signs within 20 feet of someone's front door or window. Then warning cachers to use extreme stealth so as to not alert those living there. Even though it's public property, doesn't mean it's the smartest place to hide a cache. Found two of these and promptly put the rest on ignore.

Or caches that use the "stealth" attribute where stealth is impossible.

I found one a few years back that was stuck to the back of a sign with a magnet. The only thing was it required reaching way over my head (and I'm 6'4 so how anyone shorter could have done it is a mystery) and the sign was on a busy footpath beside a busy road, opposite a busy bus stop and also opposite a station.

Personally I hate caches that are in someone's front garden - with the best will in the world it feels very exposed looking over walls into people's gardens and the chances of getting the wrong garden mean I just ignore those ones.

• Upvote 1

Sometimes that's part of the fun of the FTF side game. You get to gloat over the people who didn't get FTF.