What Irks you most?

Puzzle caches!

I don't understand why a CO would want to keep me sitting on my butt in front of the computer trying to figure out what he/she was thinking when I could be outside finding caches.

Edited by Roman!
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
  • Love 1

I don't know that there is anything about this hobby which causes me enough angst to raise to the level of deadly sin. If I had to reflect on which aspect I like the least, I suppose it would be Micro-Spew, defined as spitting out a low quality container at an uninspired location, with less words in the write up than are tattooed on Rosie O'Donnell's backside, (or a copy/paste title and write up), and repeating ad nauseum, dozens, if not hundreds of times.

Not that there is anything wrong with Micro-Spew, so long as the caches conform to the guidelines. Many folks love them, as they offer an easy means to mindlessly increase their find counts. But I am unlikely to ever be a proponent of them. For the most part, I try to ignore them. Sometimes I'll hear, through word of mouth, of a way kewl micro somewhere. Then I find myself having to sort through trache to find treasure.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

I love puzzles. They extend this hobby for me beyond "just outdoors". I can partake while stuck in an airport, etc. and solve puzzles.

What Irks me is when people spoil puzzles. It comes across as a pathetic attempt to stroke one's e-peen and in the process, ruining the game for others. Very selfish.

• Upvote 2

I got a good one..

Those who find oodles of caches but don't give back by hiding <and maintaining> their own.

Eh, there was never much support for "giving back" around here. One of my bestest Geo pals has a little over 7,000 finds and has placed exactly two micros, one of which is an LPC at a coffee shop And is actually on my ignore list, I kid you not. I'm not so sure she knows that, now that I mention it. :lol: But I digress, I'm totally on board with people who find oodles of caches, but don't maintain their own. Which applies, in my experience, to most people who find oodles of caches. :ph34r:

People who put out NEW caches when many of their old ones are either:

1) missing or

2) gross or

3) logbook full or

4) poor coordinates or

5) archived, but container is still there :unsure:

:rolleyes:

I find number 5 most disgusting. I mean, how gross it is to archive your cache, then just leave it there as trash, all the while placing new caches.

Edited by The_Incredibles_
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Ooh... Roman reminded me.

Creating an awesome puzzle, with a final which is a crappy container in a crappy location. :blink:

Not really a deadly sin, but certainly a let down. dry.gif

Yes! When I make the extra effort to solve a puzzle I want the CO to make the extra effort to reward puzzle solvers with a quality swag size container in at least a decent location. It's about the total caching experience not just solving the puzzle. I could buy a PennyDell puzzle book if all I want to do is solve puzzles.

less words in the write up than are tattooed on Rosie O'Donnell's backside

Good Lord man. :blink: That's like owning one of the new Oregon 650's with the GGZ file format and only downloading two P&G's on it. :lol:

One thing that bothers me is that people ask for the answers to EarthCaches be posted at the beginning of the listing so they don't have to take time to read the description. :huh:

When I make the extra effort to solve a puzzle I want the CO to make the extra effort to reward puzzle solvers with a quality swag size container in at least a decent location.

I totally agree. Admittedly, my first puzzle ends up in a pretty boring spot with a small container, but the rest of my puzzles end in much better locations with decent-sized containers. My flagship cache ends with a large regular with an outstanding view.

• Upvote 1

Ooh, ooh, I've got a good one.

Cut and paste logs. :rolleyes:

I hit the road at 4 am and found 5000 caches before dinner. I'm sure your cache was lovely, but I can't remember a thing about it. Plus it will likely be muggled soon because I didn't bother rehiding it properly as I was in such a rush. Also, I don't know a nano from an ammo can so I'm writing you this cut and paste log. p.s. Please hide more smilies caches.
  • Upvote 9

Probably the thing that I dislike the most is what I would call "avoidable muggle stress".

Now I prefer non-urban caching. And I understand that in an urban environment often muggle avoidance will be part of the task. And I can choose if I want to do those or not.

But what I dislike is... I'm out in the countryside, where there is lots of space away from houses, but the cache is hidden on a sign right outside someone's window.

This gets compounded if there is no hint, or the hint isn't helpful. I.e. if you are going to make me look in a place overlooked by local muggles, then at least give a clear hint so I can do it quickly.

• Upvote 5

Hiders placing the cache where there is obviously a history of rubbish, there is clearly rubbish when they placed it and there is no doubt always going to be further rubbish in the future. Even more frustrating when there is a perfectly acceptable hiding place about 50m away.

• Upvote 4

Wondering where my TB, or one I'm watching, is. Logs such as, "This cache is packed full of trackables, so I decided to take a couple and leave one behind." are maddening. My TB still appears in the inventory, but current logs indicate that there are no TBs in the cache. The simple fix is to mention every TB you put into or take out of a cache. It leaves a nice audit trail!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Wondering where my TB, or one I'm watching, is. Logs such as, "This cache is packed full of trackables, so I decided to take a couple and leave one behind." are maddening. My TB still appears in the inventory, but current logs indicate that there are no TBs in the cache. The simple fix is to mention every TB you put into or take out of a cache. It leaves a nice audit trail!

That's one of my main issues, too. I have a TB now that's been listed in a cache for over a year. The cache has been found about 3 times since the TB was placed there, and none of the logs mention it.

If I find a cache with more TBs than I want to take, I write down the tracking numbers of all the ones I leave there, so I can leave a "discover" log. I figure that should assure the owner that the bug is where it's listed. If I find a TB there that's not listed there, I'll grab it and place it there (especially if it's obviously been there a while). If there's a TB listed there that I don't see, I post a note on the TB's page.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

Logged from my phone using the Geocache Navigator by TrimblePeople who are too lazy to turn off the stupid ad in their software, forcing the rest of us to read through it to get to the content of their log, if any.

As a result, I hate Trimble with a passion, and will never ever buy anything with that name on it. Score -1 for advertising.

Cachers who place caches on road signs within 20 feet of someone's front door or window. Then warning cachers to use extreme stealth so as to not alert those living there. Even though it's public property, doesn't mean it's the smartest place to hide a cache. Found two of these and promptly put the rest on ignore.

• Upvote 2

1: Puzzle Caches. Put them in another category, like the now-defunct Challenges.

A: If you have to put one out...

(1): Put a geo-checker on the web page.

(2): make the actual geocache commensurate with the puzzle difficulty. A 4.0/1.5 puzzle is just lazy and rude.

2: Crappy hints. The hint section is for giving a hint if you wish to. It is NOT for writing "are you kidding" or "none needed", or some other such junk.

3: Caches placed under the watchful eyes of the world, such as by the front window of a store, or the bush next to your doctors office. Really? Is that the best you can do?

4: Micros placed where you could hide a freight train.

5: LPC's. The first 2-3 were neat, the last 10,000 are not.

• Upvote 4

I love all the feedback here!! Some obvious, some new to me.

Most annoying to me are all the pointless caches all over the city with no real purpose or challenge...not to say I don't like the find, but I'd love to find some more creative caches...everything is just a film canister or micro hidden to death.

• Upvote 2

1: Puzzle Caches. Put them in another category, like the now-defunct Challenges.

A: If you have to put one out...

(2): make the actual geocache commensurate with the puzzle difficulty. A 4.0/1.5 puzzle is just lazy and rude.

This makes little sense to me. *shrug*

Should a traditional in a high T area *also* be hard to find? I have found a bunch of obvious ammo can's in T4 areas. I don't see why you would hold puzzles to a different standard.

Why should a difficult puzzle **ALSO** need to be in difficult terrain? Just not logical.

That being said, I agree with your other point. Put a geo-checker on the web page. Especially if the location is hard to get to.

• Upvote 4