How do I find a multi/mystery cache?

QueenQuasar

I am new to geocaching and totally addicted! However I have not been able to invest in a GPS device other than the Geocaching.com official app on iPhone. Now that I am learning different types of caches, specifically multi-caches and mystery caches, I am confused as to what to do with the new coordinates I've found or solved. Is there another app I can download on my iPhone that will allow me to type in coordinates and then direct me to them like the Geocaching.com app does? Or is there a function of the Geocaching.com app that I am missing?

ANY advice on this topic is much appreciated!

You can do it in the official app:

app_custom_coords_5_1.PNG

AWESOME! Thank you so much! Ok now how do I type it in? The puzzles seem to be in a strange format I'm not understanding... Any more advice?

Disregard that, it seems very straight forward... Except it gives two options that I'm not understanding: Set to current location and Set to geocache location. What is the difference and which one should I choose?

Thank you for your patience!!!

...it gives two options that I'm not understanding: Set to current location and Set to geocache location. What is the difference and which one should I choose?

You probably won't want to use either for what you're wanting to do.

"Set to current location" will set the custom coordinates to your current position.

"Set to geocache location" will set the custom coordinates to the ones posted on the cache listing.

If you want to enter some other custom coordinates (like a puzzle solution) and save them, just put in the coordinates and tap "Done" at the top.

...it gives two options that I'm not understanding: Set to current location and Set to geocache location. What is the difference and which one should I choose?

You probably won't want to use either for what you're wanting to do.

"Set to current location" will set the custom coordinates to your current position.

"Set to geocache location" will set the custom coordinates to the ones posted on the cache listing.

If you want to enter some other custom coordinates (like a puzzle solution) and save them, just put in the coordinates and tap "Done" at the top.

Just to add a bit....once you enter your coordinates and hit ""Done" it will drop a flag on the map at the coordinates you entered. Tap that flag and select "Set As Target" and off you go....

Oh, one other thing.....once you enter the final coordinates for a multi or puzzle cache, that additional waypoint will stay associated with that cache in the app. So whenever you select that cache again and Navigate to Geocache, that new waypoint will still be a little flag in the map view. Handy to know if you don't have time to go after the final right now, or have worked out some puzzle solutions at home and want to save the coordinates to that cache for a later day.

We were out doing a multi today and were wondering the exact same thing - and this thread pointed us in the right direction.

One additional tip -- on the "add waypoint" screen, if you click on "New Waypoint >" then you can give each added waypoint a unique name (and a fairly lengthy description - stage 1 by the swing, stage 2 under the park bench, final location by the lamp) and you can then associate several "flags" with the cache and navigate to any of them.

thanks for the tip...

B&E, Happy Together

We finally figured out our first multi that includes triangulation. Hubby found a nifty android tool called GeoMT that did triangulation with crossing circles. It does a bunch of other thing for waypoint calculations but we haven't played anymore with it. Unfortunately, it isn't free (think it was .99 euro cents), but it was extremely accurate.

We're actually looking forward to trying our next multi now. ;-)