Permission for a Cache

CominInHot

I'm curious how people request permission to place a cache? My guess is most don't...but if you do, what do you say and explain to gain permission

What do you mean most people don't? Everyone gets permission for every hide :ph34r:

Some people use what they call the "frisbee rule" What that is; If you do not need to ask permission to play frisbee(football, catch whatever) you do not need to ask permission to place a cache(unless there are bylaws that state otherwise) For example in a public park, a school(which wouldn't be allowed anyway but that's a different reason) but not in someone's front yard.

The best way to ask-and get permission, is to be honest. Tell them what you want to do, explain geocaching and maybe point them to geocaching.com Let them see the container, and know where it would be placed. If asked how many people would find it, answer as honestly as you can. Assure them if needed that you can remove the cache if it causes too many problems.

Edited by T.D.M.22

I explained what geocaching is, explained why I wanted to place a geocache on the property the person managed, and described my ideas for the geocache. He thought it was a great idea, and offered a few ideas of his own. We spent some time discussing various alternatives, and then I camouflaged a container, showed it to him, and then hid it.

I just had to ask myself, and I said yes.
Yeah, that's pretty easy. Almost as easy is hiding a cache in a public park with a reasonable geocaching policy. Several of the parks departments and open space districts around here have geocaching policies, and as long as your cache complies with the policy, you don't need to request explicit permission.

Go down to your local Parks & Recreation department. Ask to see the manager or director. Tell them all about geocaching. Ask for a blanket permit for geocaching on all the lands that they manage. After they say, "yes", return the favor by setting up a CITO event at one of their parks.

Form a local, regional, or state geocaching "club" and solicit members to join together to obtain blanket geocaching permits for various public lands in your area. Post blanket permits with their stipulations on your website. Now the whole community can cache away without the land manager being inundated with dozens of separate permission requests.

If we could get the entire State Parks of Alaska to formally bring nearly all geocaching activity under just a couple blanket permits, I'd think most of you little states could round up something similar, if not just in a local area or city.

You'd be amazed at how receptive public land owners/managers actually are to geocaching.

Here is an article I wrote for the Ontario Geocaching Association

It's a long one....

Most geocachers know that you need permission from the land manager or where you intend to place your cache before you actually hide the cache. Some areas have official policies and some do not. Regardless of whether or not the land manager has a stated geocaching policy you should always seek approval.

Some definitions are in order.

Permission is defined as:

authorization granted to do something; formal consent

the act of permitting.

Implied permission is defined as:

Implied permission, in the context of real property, means conduct or words or both that imply that an owner or occupant of land has agreed to another person’s use of or ability to enter land. Each case is judged on its individual facts, but some of the facts that may be considered include:

The other person’s awareness of the use/activity

The length of time of the activity/use.

The lack of objection to the activity/use

In simple terms:

PERMISSION must be granted by a land owner or land manager.

IMPLIED PERMISSION where it already exists, gives use to the land/property for it’s intended usage.

For example:

You HAVE permission to enter and use the parking lot at Walmart, this is Implied Permission, because the land/property owner intends you to park there, while your in their store.

You NEED permission to hide a Geocache in their cart return. You do not have implied permission to do this, as hiding a geocache in their cart return, is not a normal activity for said cart return, the land/property owner, expects it’s land/property users to only use the cart return, for returning their carts, so as you do not have to return the cart inside the store.

In order to hide a geocache in/on the cart return, you would have to contact the land/property and ask PERMISSION.

So, just where does Groundspeak weigh in on PERMISSION ?

Quoted from the “Hiding your first Geocache” section of the Groundspeak website:

Did you seek permission from the land owner or manager? If you place a cache on private land, you must ask permission before hiding your cache. If you place it on public lands, contact the land manager to find out about any rules or restrictions.

Either on Public or Private property, Groundspeak requires you to get permission or confirm Implied Permission has been previously given BEFORE you place a geocache there.

Do not assume that just because a geocache exists already on a property that Implied Permission has been granted.

So, just how do you get permission or see if Permission has already been granted?

The best way is to contact the land/property owner and ask. You can approach them in person, by telephone, or if your a bit shy, by e-mail. Remember, it is your responsibility to get permission, or confirm Implied Permission exists, not Groundspeak’s. If all attempts fail to contact the land/property owner, you still have a few options.

If geocaches are already placed in the area, try contacting the owner of one of them, to see if permission has been granted.

Contact your local reviewer and ask them, if any past issues with the area have been reported, of if they know if an area requires permission?

(To contact your local reviewer, look at any cache in that area, scroll to the bottom of the page, looking for the “Published” entry, click on the reviewer’s name, you can e-mail them via their profile.)

If the area has a local Geocaching group, contact them, most know the local areas and can help

and finally, Post your question on the Ontario Geocaching Association forums.

Why is permission so important?

Well, first off it shows your respect for the rules set out by Groundspeak. They are there to make the game best accepted in the community.

Secondly, parts of Ontario and other Provinces forbid geocaches being placed in Parks, Nature areas and conservation area’s. Placing Geocaches in these restricted areas, not only casts a bad name for the game, it also may be against the law.

And speaking of “The Law”

Did you hear the one about the Tupperware getting blown up by the bomb squad?

NO? You will.

Permission (and education) in most cases, will alleviate the call to the Bomb squad, by the local law enforcement agencies.

If the local Police department knows about Geocaching, and you have had permission to place a cache, it makes it much easier to tell the difference between a Geocache and a possible threat to the community.

This does always not work out, but at least if/when you contacted by the Police, you can say. “Yes I had permission to place that Geocache there.”

It just might save you a trip to the Police Station.

In conclusion:

Do all geocaches require some sort of permission—-YES

Do all geocaches Have permission to be placed where they are—-NO

Will you get permission for all your hides—-WE HOPE SO

Happy Hiding!