GPS Serial Cable

Some GPS receivers use USB-Serial converter cables.

I've certainly had issues with some, so when I saw this article I thought it might help you. It's focused on ham radio but it applies to every serial device, such as GPS pucks.

http://wa8lmf.net/ham/USB-Serial-Dongles.htm

I've run into this myself from time to time.. I usually grab the Prolific driver off the page for Parallax (better known for the Basic Stamp mcu).. they used to market a version of their "Board Of Ed", (which was the carrier board for the Basic-Stamp2, for their BOE-Bot learning robot), which had a on-board Prolific chip, in between the USB-B socket and the serial input/output lines of the BS2 module. I've used the same driver for the old VEX Robotics programming cable, and a couple of USB <--> RS-232C dongles.. But, I think the reason why they got away from Prolific, was there was a dropping problem.. Quite a few started going to TDI, which made a more efficient version, and a lot of prolific chipset devices got orphaned.

Been there, I keep both drivers on ALL of my machines.. Just in case I run into something that needs a serial I/O.

Some GPS receivers use USB-Serial converter cables.

I've certainly had issues with some, so when I saw this article I thought it might help you. It's focused on ham radio but it applies to every serial device, such as GPS pucks.

Good info. I've been doing a lot of work with Arduinos, which require serial converters, and the ones based on the FTDI chipset work the best in my experience.