Geocoin envelope arrived - coin itself removed

Beach_hut

Hi,

I bought a Geocoin on ebay last week and it arrived today, only it didn't. The envelope had been ripped open and the coin was not inside.

The coin was sent by USPS to us here in the UK, and the bottom line of the customs declaration read that the envelope could be opened officially. So I'm wondering if that is what has happened?

I've messaged the seller asking what they can determine from their end, as a first off.

We're quite angry right now (this and something else that happened on the way home), and would appreciate some clear-headed advice as to what to do.

if the coin was in the envelope.. just like that.. and not attached and closed to a cardboard.. or something... so it will not go up and down in the envelope that would tear it... then...

also.. if it was nto hidden... or it was not in a bubble mailer... and anyone could see that a coin was inside... probably someone teared the envelope and took it!

of course.. in both.. the seller will let you know.. but 99.9% of them.. know how to send such things...

customs have the right to open the letter and check it.. but then they are closing it again with special tape that the "Customs" is writen on it.. and also they stamp the letter with their stamp! at least this is what onse happent to a letter I had! if I remember well.. it was writen on it that customs checked it! if your letter doesn't have any of the ones I mentioned about customs... then customs didn't open it!

unfortunatelly.. sometimes letters are not treated very well.. in the post offices of by the postmen... so... sometimes we have situations like that!

during Christmas a card was sent to me.. from a friend! I received it many day after.. but it you had seen it.... :( the envelope was teared and in pieces! it was ruined with rain or generally water.. and dried again! the card inside was in bad condition... and the envelope (used to be white!), plus the card.. (mostly white too!), had a strange red colour... taken from an other envelope... (no idea where the other poor one was going...)

I do not have an idea if something was inside the card.. I didn't want to ask the person who send it... I thought it was not polite...

anyway... it is not often.. but sometimes.. they do not treat the letters well.... it is very sad that you have lost the coin.. :( unfortunatelly.. I do not know if you can do something about it.... maybe the seller can replace it.. but if it was send in a normal letter and not registered or secured... I do not know...

There's not much you can do unless you can prove that the seller was negligent in the packaging of your coin. Since I didn't get an email, I would guess this is not an item you bought from me, thankfully. If it was customs that opened it and lost it, it's not fair to try to blame a seller. But from your explanation, it sounds like customs was not who opened it. You can file a case on eBay and you would be covered by eBay buyer protection. Hopefully you are a verified buyer and the seller would also be covered.

There's not much you can do unless you can prove that the seller was negligent in the packaging of your coin. Since I didn't get an email, I would guess this is not an item you bought from me, thankfully. If it was customs that opened it and lost it, it's not fair to try to blame a seller. But from your explanation, it sounds like customs was not who opened it. You can file a case on eBay and you would be covered by eBay buyer protection. Hopefully you are a verified buyer and the seller would also be covered.

I should stress that my anger was in no way directed at the seller, and I was in no way trying to blame them, either at the time of the OP, or 24 hours later with a bit of reflection. It was directed instead at whoever had removed the coin.

My message was to ask them what they could determine by reference to USPS, as the sender. (I don't suppose USPS will tell me much, as their commercial agreement is with the sender) I am also investigating with Royal Mail.

I should stress that my anger was in no way directed at the seller, and I was in no way trying to blame them, either at the time of the OP, or 24 hours later with a bit of reflection. It was directed instead at whoever had removed the coin.

My message was to ask them what they could determine by reference to USPS, as the sender. (I don't suppose USPS will tell me much, as their commercial agreement is with the sender) I am also investigating with Royal Mail.

I'm wondering what makes you think someone removed the coin? I understand you didn't receive the coin, but I look at adjectives like "ripped" and assume it was handling damage between the seller's drop off and your receipt. This unfortunately happens from time to time.

As someone who's just slightly less active on Ebay than AG, I agree with her basic comment. The seller can't do anything for you on their end. You should be able to file a Paypal claim and get your money back though, since the item wasn't received.

TMA