Garmin GPSmap62s - new automatic shutoff feature.

Model: GPSmap62s

Software version: 4.80

Here is an interesting new feature I just discovered. The only requirement is that you have a geocache loaded in the device that is very close to your current location, as the feature is proximity based. If you don't have a nearby cache, just create one in GSAK or edit the waypoint coords in a GPX file, and use your current location for the position values.

Find > Geocaches

Select nearby cache. (needs to be very close, within 30m)

Go

Direct Routing

Page > Compass

Found

Verify Find

Device immediately shuts off.

If you receive a note that you must be at the location of the geocache to verify the find, then you were not close enough to see this new feature in action.

Thanks Garmin for one more way to crash this thing!

I had to read that a couple times in hopes you were 'joking'...(and you were - Thank God).

This past winter I had some weird issues with it shutting off.... I thought it was due to the 'cold' (as it sits in my cold truck sometimes overnight). A couple times while trying to get an FTF, I was in a hurry and opened up a generic (old) waypoint that was saved. I wanted to EDIT the coordinates and hit go.... It didn't like that at all and shut off every time I tried it. Needless to say...I've learned not to EDIT waypoints VS creating new ones. :rolleyes:

Who would've thunked it?

Edited by Lieblweb