Remember When

Do you remember when there was only a few coins and.creating new coins for love not money, The non trackables that people collected by swapping like cigarette or bubble gum cards. The excitement of the new icons you could put on the profile - long before souvenirs and other flashy stuff, Waiting to get a Georgia Peach – sold out in minutes. How we all tried to collect them all. I think Moops along probably did!. The whole thing exploded and then suddenly they were ezerywhere for everything.Mystery coins came along to keep it going, I then dropped out as I couldn’t keep up with it all. After a few years I have popped in to see what is going on and I see we still have the odd cointest and Maths trades. I still treasure my hundreds of coins and the good people I contacted through them – Thank you all.

I also still have a load of my own Chester Cat non-trackables if anybody is interested in such things let me know

Bob

Edited by Jan and the Percey Boys

Do you remember when there was only a few coins and.creating new coins for love not money, The non trackables that people collected by swapping like cigarette or bubble gum cards. The excitement of the new icons you could put on the profile - long before souvenirs and other flashy stuff, Waiting to get a Georgia Peach – sold out in minutes. How we all tried to collect them all. I think Moops along probably did!. The whole thing exploded and then suddenly they were ezerywhere for everything.Mystery coins came along to keep it going, I then dropped out as I couldn’t keep up with it all. After a few years I have popped in to see what is going on and I see we still have the odd cointest and Maths trades. I still treasure my hundreds of coins and the good people I contacted through them – Thank you all.

I also still have a load of my own non-trackables if anybody is interested in such things let me know

Bob

Email sent

I sure do miss those good old days when trading was such a fun experience. Did a lot of trading in person during some Events, something very rare these days :(

I remember the first coin we had minted, the doghouse. People were crazy about it and it was a big success :rolleyes:

I'm on vacation and I'm getting ready to go to Geowoodstock on Friday. I almost never have time to go on the forums anymore, but when I saw this, I had to reply. YES, I remember the "old" days and the excitement of trading coins. I don't do a lot of it anymore, but when I go to events, I will trade. I LOVE personal coins and that is really what I like to trade with. I got a personal coin made (Hoppin' Thru Time) because I wanted to trade with personals. It was difficult to trade before then because many Geocachers wanted to trade personals with personals. I was also advised to make sure it was trackable (it is) because that's what everyone wants and if it weren't trackable, many cachers wouldn't trade. I like personals and it doesn't matter if it is trackable or not. I just like the thought that someone took the time and expense to make a coin that reflected themself and that's what interests me most.

I sure do miss those good old days when trading was such a fun experience. Did a lot of trading in person during some Events, something very rare these days :(

I remember the first coin we had minted, the doghouse. People were crazy about it and it was a big success :rolleyes:

I miss them too. I remember the first mega event I went to and there was a coin trading frenzy! Now there are only a handful of coiners to trade with at those events. I sure would like to go to one of the geocoinfest events for that reason but I just can't afford it. I guess I need to buy more lottery tickets. LOL

We have a non-trackable 'siggy tag' that we leave in caches and trade in person and we JUST received our new trackable personal 2013 geocoin. One of our darling son's wrote off our Jeep last fall and this coin is a sort of tribute to the amazing adventures we had geocaching in our Jeep... Utah, Oregon coast (beach highways!), WA, ID, AB, BC... driving through barely passable rivers and over mountains and on roads that really weren't roads any more. All the years we geocached in our Jeep we never made our own Jeep coin... so we finally did, after we parted ways. Kinda like telling someone you love them... at their funeral :yikes: . Well maybe not that bad, but you get the idea. It's a great new personal and we were long overdue :laughing: .

Great to see some of the old names againand to look through my albums and see their coins. Im still about but doing very few caches at the moment - Messed up a leg a few years ago so didn't get ouit for a year or so but at that time many cachers from this forum were playing Mafia Wars which kept me sane after the operation. Just a quick nopte to say have posted out the "Cats" that people have asked for - I am not unsociable but the english postal service will charde more if you put a letter in a small package - so just a coin in the envelope.

Anybody want one can have one - let me know - Icant trade in person cause I am in the UK! sad and happy!!!

regards

BOb

Ah, yes the good old days! Count me in as missing them, too.

I understand that the "newer" group has it's own point of view too and I respect that. It's just not the same to me. They play their music too loud and..... :anitongue:

What I miss are the "F5 frenzies"! It was a blast trying to get one of a limited run of coins that wasn't minted in 32 versions and then re-run afterwards again. It made trading fun and coins (for me) more sought after.

I'm still here in one fashion or another fairly often but don't post much anymore because the coins have lost their luster for me, so to speak.

Looking at the coins I have on the wall in my office, the ones that mean the most are the older personal coins - with a few exceptions. For example, the first Oregon coin was the first coin I found. I emailed Nurse Dave (who remembers THAT name?) and asked if I could keep it and he said "yes". I returned to the cache and put in some good swag in its place and it all started from there. Soon afterwards I acquired a coin from every state that had one out - which wasn't too hard at that point.

Too funny - I hardly ever look in the Geocoin forums anymore but noticed this topic title from the main forum summary. I think Jan and the Percey Boys summed it up perfectly.

I remember practically stalking AtlantaGal just to get one of her (first) geocoins. Seemed like someone always just beat me to every cache but I was determined and finally victorious :lol:

But the obsession finally died before I became bankrupt :laughing:

Great to see some of the old names againand to look through my albums and see their coins. Im still about but doing very few caches at the moment - Messed up a leg a few years ago so didn't get ouit for a year or so but at that time many cachers from this forum were playing Mafia Wars which kept me sane after the operation. Just a quick nopte to say have posted out the "Cats" that people have asked for - I am not unsociable but the english postal service will charde more if you put a letter in a small package - so just a coin in the envelope.

Anybody want one can have one - let me know - Icant trade in person cause I am in the UK! sad and happy!!!

regards

BOb

Hello Bob the cat coin is in Holland its a verry nice coin ,Thanks for the Trade .

Greetings Olaf aka the GETZIE FAMILY.

Too funny - I hardly ever look in the Geocoin forums anymore but noticed this topic title from the main forum summary. I think Jan and the Percey Boys summed it up perfectly.

I remember practically stalking AtlantaGal just to get one of her (first) geocoins. Seemed like someone always just beat me to every cache but I was determined and finally victorious :lol:

But the obsession finally died before I became bankrupt :laughing:

The Mertat coin is still my favourite coin to fondle. Its like I am stroking the cat with my thumb.

I miss the old days too...we developed some tight friendships before it all became about the might $$ and how many different versions of one coin that could be minted. Every once in awhile I pop back into the forums, but there does not seem to be as much going on as there was back in the early days. Unfortunately, with one of the dragons entering her senior year in high school next year - gulp - I just don't have the spare $$ or time like I used to. I wish I did...

The "old times" were fun. There was an excitement and energy and life to the forums that doesn't seem to be here now. I remember wanting everything when they came out, and then trying to track them down afterwards when I inevitably missed out in the aforementioned F5 frenzies (Especially tsun's frenzies!). Now I've become more selective, and I work more on completing the sets I've starting collecting. Some of them only had a few varieties (Pick Me Up!, with 7), others run annual or recurring versions that I still try to keep up with (Little Rhody, Evil Micro, juraf369's Czech series), some have huge numbers of varieties to collect (V1 Geocoin Nerds with around 100, and V2 Geocoin Nerds with over 120!), and some had very few minted (Atlantagal's Starfish).

I think a lot of people chose or were forced to become more selective in their coining, and that cooled the forums off as well. I used to pop in several times a day just to keep up with it all, but nowadays once or twice a week keeps me on top of most of what goes on here.

I still haven't got my own coin made, but I mean to. I have the money set aside, and I have the design 99% complete. I need to just submit it.

I remember alot of things since I came aboard, some positive, some negative. Always changing ;) Been here about 8 years now and the best thing that came out of this for me were the friends I have made and the opportunities this opened up for me from a non-geocoin self-employment perspective.

I'm thinking the prime days of geocoins have come and gone, maybe they will always be around but it will never be like it once was. I'm happy that I could be involved at a time when it was popular and crazy times.

It will be interesting to see where this all is in another 10 years.

tsun :)

And all the non-trackables people are mentioning in here are being mentioned just for trade, right?

RIGHT?

Really?? You had to bring this into the discussion?? <_<

What we're talking about are the old days, when a trackable coin meant one of Jon's, and that was about it. No one said anything about selling anything.

As others have said, it's this obsession with $$ and trackability that caused me to pretty much bail out. Nearly all of the coins I made were non-trackable. Only 2 went to the dark side.

I miss the old days of trading and making friends. I still have my Laval K-9 doghouse, Mertat, Kealia/Hula Bum, and a host of others from then. It took me years to track down a Mertat. The K/HB I found in a cache up here, and the Doghouse was got in a trade with Laval.

I miss the old hands, and the old days. Nice to see you guys again. :lol:

have i been around long enough to make comment...just askin'?

ILYK

Well doc, we do like to hear from new blood from time to time. I think everybody here could overlook your inexperience this time and would enjoy hearing what you have to say on the matter!

thank you, oh ancient ones !

there are a couple of us young uns that still enjoy trading, and look forward to discussing coins at events, mega or mini, and making new friends. i remain thankful for the friendship shared amongst this group...i'm not been a big socializer the last 8 years or so...this hobby continues to be a source of new and old friends...ancient ones, come join us a little more often...you might be surprised !

i very rarely feel the need to collect one of each and every metal with just a few exceptions, that for whatever reason (usually stirred a memory,) i wanted one of each. i think it's fair to say that harder times, higher postage rates, an almost total lack of personal coins, especially doggie coins :lol:, being produced, and a much larger choice in coinage have quelled the F5 frenzies.

facebook has certainly made an impact on this forum...for better or worse, that's just the way it is...i still check for new posts on the geocoin forum a couple times a day, but i rarely see more than 2 or 3 people signed in, at a time. i also miss seeing 10 or 15 people's names posted at the bottom of the page, but i see a lot of old and new coiners posting reguarly on fb, and the geocoin/geocaching groups.

for the really young uns reading through this topic, please feel welcome here...the geocoin forum remains a good group, and we like to hear from you.

enough rambling...my new personal geocoin, "Kathy's Coin Too," should be in hand the end of the week...trade only, gold or silver...see old ones, there's still a couple of us trading folk out there !

ILYK
Edited by drneal

And all the non-trackables people are mentioning in here are being mentioned just for trade, right?

RIGHT?

This is one of reasons a lot of old timers moved on.

I would disagree with this statement. I think a lot of moved on because of the commercialization of coins and the flooding of the market. Collecting things that were personal, hard to find or scarce was fun. Being gouged on pricing on inundated with 5 new coins per week - and each in 5 finishes - was way too much.

RIGHT?

I would disagree with this statement. I think a lot of moved on because of the commercialization of coins and the flooding of the market. Collecting things that were personal, hard to find or scarce was fun. Being gouged on pricing on inundated with 5 new coins per week - and each in 5 finishes - was way too much.

As a relative noob, I have to agree that there's too much of every coin. I never have a feeling of completeness or satisfaction. There are SO many beautiful coins, and the various finishes are all nice for different reasons. It makes it difficult to choose a coin. Too many choices, so I end up getting more than I should because I can't decide between the apple and the orange all the while feeling a little disappointed that I didn't also get the plum.

RIGHT?

Why am I not suprised you disagree. But as I said it was one of the reasons. Yours are a few more.

I felt that the forum was formed by a like minded group of people that were interested in coins. Yes. there were the sharks that tried to get in on the act. I would say that if open discussions had continued the outcomes may have been different. My recollection of when the new restrictions on our discussions came into place we were given that only grudgingly by TPTB who had no idea of where this was going to lead. I believe that the short sightedness shown then gave rise to what you believe is the reason now. It stopped being a forum of coin enthusiasts.

I understand your POV but I still disagree. Open discussions were never stopped. Sales/promotional threads that popped up every 30 minutes were never stopped. TPTB did stop letting competitors products or non-trackables be SOLD but discussions, trading, etc. were never (and still aren't) stifled.

There are no forums that I know of that allow the promotion of competitive products to be sold openly - that's just business. I think at some point we all tend to forget that at the end of the day Groundspeak is a business - even though most of us look at it like a hobby/sport, etc.

But this is a polarizing topic and has gone through many a debate so I won't beat a dead horse. I've met many a good friend not only through caching but through the coin forums. In fact, a few of those people are like family to me now and I'm grateful for those connections that I've made here.

Wow, lots of names from the recent past! I remember finding my first geocoin in a cache (in early 2005), and like Kealia, it was also an Oregon geocoin dropped by Nurse Dave. Not knowing what it was worth, I think I left a dollar bill! Of course, I've since made up for it by dropping lots of coins. And I remember the days of hitting F5 and also remember a couple of coins being put up on eBay and watching them be snatched up in seconds. Over the years, especially since I moved back to Hawaii, I haven't been involved in geocoins too much as there aren't events to go to here and other geocoiners to talk with and trade with. It's been at least a couple of years since I minted a coin and I'm not sure when my next coin will be, if ever. I pop into these geocoin forums every once in a while to see what's going on.

I've since moved on to collecting other things. I've sold many of my geocoins that I had no personal attachment to, since they were just sitting in boxes or containers not doing anything. I've bought a couple of display cases and put those up in my office but they don't hold too many so maybe I'll have to get a couple more.

Anyway, it's been nice reading all the memories you all have. Hope you're all doing well!