How do I calibrate a Magellan explorist 310

Martymarquette

I have been told by a couple of friends that I need to calibrate my hand held GPS.

I bought a Magellan Explorist 310 in February - at times it cause me so much frustration. Eventually I would like to up grade but at this time it is not in my budget so I must make do with what I have.

- I can be emailed direct at marquettemarty@gmail.com

since the original poster hasnt responded, im going to hijack this thread with my question, which i think they were trying to ask. My magellan 310 doesn't seem to want to update the settings i choose for it. the default setting was medium, which gave me a map with a black backround and lines for roads. It was very efficient performance wise. I decided to try out high detail. after I changed the settings it took a couple of hours for me to actually see the graphical change from low to high. with this, came lag and performance decreases. I've set it back to low detail but nothing has changed. How do i get my gps to update my settings? it just doesn't want to listen!

The 310 doesn't have an electronic compass, so there's nothing to calibrate. Did your friends give any indication of what or why they thought you needed to "calibrate"?

Often the direction arrow is pointing the wrong direction. Some times I must follow it and other times I know to go the opposite direction - this is so confusing. Must trust the count down of distance to the cache

The 310 doesn't have an electronic compass, so there's nothing to calibrate. Did your friends give any indication of what or why they thought you needed to "calibrate"?

Often the direction arrow is pointing the wrong direction. Some times I must follow it and other times I know to go the opposite direction - this is so confusing. Must trust the count down of distance to the cache

Without an electronic compass, the unit needs to be moving in order to know which way north is and show your direction of travel.

If you stand still, small variations in the satellite signals will make the unit think you are moving, but because the signals 'waver' back and forth you will get a jumpy, spinning pointer.