Dip a trackable? Dipping?

Me&Geppetto

I'm new to geocaching and am just getting in to the whole trackable thing. I have a few questions.

I saw my trackable was "dipped" at a bunch of caches. I assume this is to show it travelling and visiting places. How do I dip a trackable I have? Is that the "discovered" choice?

When I retrieved a trackable and "retrieved" it I didn't put in the private # that was actually on the trackable so it is still showing as in the previous cache. I dropped it off the next morning before I got a nasty email from someone that I hadn't retrieved it properly but the trackable was already out of my possession. I went back to the cache i put it in the next day and its gone, someone else picked it up. I assume that it will "work itself out" when that person "retrieves it" or something?

So there is a public and a private TB # then. The private is onthe TB itself and the public is the one Groundspeak assigns?

So besides retrieving and placing it properly what are other good ettiquette rules for TBs? Do you normally try to place them in TB hotels so they are moved around? What if you retireved one and you had no way to keep it going on its mission, should you just drop it in a cache at the first opportunity?

How do I dip a trackable I have?

You need to retrieve it first. Use the Tracking Number and make a “Retrieve” log. It will then show in your Inventory.

There's a Reference Number on the Trackable's page, and it usually starts with “TB”. That's the number to use when referencing the item. You can post a Reference Number. That's not the one stamped on the TB, as you've learned. You must type the Tracking Number stamped on the TB, to log it.

Make a cache log, and at the same time you can make a “Visit” log for any Trackables in your Inventory. Each will have a drop-down menu at the bottom of the cache log page. Select “Visit” for each one that you wish to “dip”. A log will be generated on each Trackable's page, saying “[X] took it to [Y]”. It's good to then go to each TB page and add a little human-typed text, but most cachers don't.

Always make a note of the Tracking Number before placing a Trackable into a cache. I take close-up photos, to be sure I get it right. But don't post any photos that show the numbers.

If you have problems logging a Trackable, you can contact the Trackable Owner. They may provide the Tracking Number or they may be able to unscramble the logs for you.

So besides retrieving and placing it properly what are other good ettiquette rules for TBs? Do you normally try to place them in TB hotels so they are moved around? What if you retireved one and you had no way to keep it going on its mission, should you just drop it in a cache at the first opportunity?

Before I retrieve it, I have a plan on where I may place it. That will be only in a container that looks safe. If a container has no nice things, and mostly trash, and especially if Trackables are listed but not there, I don't put the Trackable there. I'll put it into one of my previous finds that are safer. Not necessarily “TB Hotels”. If the mission is very restrictive, just do what you're able.

If I'm busy, I don't retrieve it, I log a Discover and leave it where it is.

Edited by kunarion