Email Notifications /slow to recieve or not at all

PhatBldGuy

I have recently had an issue with my notifications. I have not been receiving new pubs. until 2-3 hours AFTER it was published. I also have NOT been getting some publishings or logs on my own caches at all. Even my watchlist caches have been getting logs posted 2-4 hours later. I even had once occurance of someone logging all 4 of their families accounts and only got 2 logs, as well the 2 logs I got were separated by a couple of hours. Up until 4 weeks I had no issues with any of these. I finally resorted to using my SMS for publications which is kind of inconvenient. I have asked around locally and a couple others have experienced the same thing. I am not sure if it's and ISP thing or not as I have used 2 different Email accounts to try and fix this issue. (Gmail [preferred] and Comcast are my email accounts)

I am also having problems with emails/notifications being sent from geocaching.com. The last notification I received was 15/05/2013

- I am not receiving 'copies of mails sent to other users' - I suspect that these are not being sent to those users either, because I have had no replies for things like earthcaches.

- I am not receiving notifications of changes to caches (e.g. new), yet I know that caches have been published in my area

- I am not receiving notification of pocket queries being generated, yet these are available on the site.

At first I assumed that I have a mail reception problem, but here, I am receiving mails from others, including sites that similarly send forum notifications. There is no block in my spam filters; geocaching.com is whitelisted. My conclusion is that the problem is elsewhere.

Is this a widespread problem, or limited to a few users?

There is no block in my spam filters; geocaching.com is whitelisted.

You didn't mention, so I'll ask: Have you actually looked in your spam folder to see if the emails are there? It might also be worth it to explicitly whitelist the "noreply@geocaching.com" address, because maybe whitelisting the domain isn't working?

It definitely isn't a widespread problem. I've been receiving lots of emails from geocaching.com, and other people have been FTFing new caches, so they must be getting them too.

There is no block in my spam filters; geocaching.com is whitelisted.

You didn't mention, so I'll ask: Have you actually looked in your spam folder to see if the emails are there? It might also be worth it to explicitly whitelist the "noreply@geocaching.com" address, because maybe whitelisting the domain isn't working?

It definitely isn't a widespread problem. I've been receiving lots of emails from geocaching.com, and other people have been FTFing new caches, so they must be getting them too.

You are correct, I didn't mention that. I don't actually have a 'spam folder', but I do have an online quarantine with the spam filtering provider that I use. That filter is displaying the normal crud, but nothing from geocaching. The domain and the specific address are both white-listed. I have also checked the black-lists, just in case I had accidentally entered an address there, but all is good.

I also note that I have set a watch on this topic for immediate notification by mail. I did not receive an email to alert me to the above message.

I would really like to get these notifications working again.

Just a thought; why not create a free email account elsewhere (gmail, hotmail) and point the address there for a few days? Should clear up whether it's a local (or even your upstream) issue.

I get all I think I should (all but Found logs) within my region - it's just sometimes they take hours to come through, although that speed issue does seem to have improved over the past 2-3 weeks.

Just a thought; why not create a free email account elsewhere (gmail, hotmail)

Yes.. tried that as well.

But I really would like to use my paid-for email address for my personal emails. I pay because I don't want google or hotmail using my personal information.

I have entered a ticket into the support system, but looks unlikely that I will get a response before Tuesday.

I have tried it all. I have now resorted to using MSM messages and I am not a fan of that. Spam filter is clean and even switching email accounts hasn't worked. It seems to be a growing problem. I have encountered more locals with the same issues. I have even gotten some logs over 4 days AFTER posting. And I know because they are continuation logs (multiple accounts for 1 user). It is very frustrating to say the least. I can't fix problems with my caches if I am not getting logs in a timely order.

The issue becomes more interesting...

A message to Groundspeak support was acknowledged with the tracking number to my email. That would appear to indicate that emails are not being blocked by domain. The headers indicate a sending address of contact@geocaching.com - sent by vmhelpspot.Groundspeak.com then signal.Groundspeak.com

The last message I received from Groundspeak passed through the path hardac.Groundspeak.com(NOT) web09.Groundspeak.com(MAIL) to signal.Groundspeak.com (same IP address).

Analysing message headers for emails sent to my girlfriend's account I can see receive paths passing through variously domino.Groundspeak.com (newsletter) twiki.Groundspeak.com (PQ), hardac.Groundspeak.com (NOT) and passed to signal.Groundspeak.com (same IP address).

So... some emails from Groundspeak are being received, but the majority are not. And the sending server is the same...

The problem becomes increasingly frustrating. I have tried to validate earthcaches with their respective owners; I have received no response from the owners. Since I send my email address, a reply should not be an issue, because it will not pass through the website. This makes me wonder if the message was actually sent to the owner by geocaching.com . I never received the copy, which is not surprising because I don't see pocket queries or notifications, but did the owner get the message?

I have temporarily disabled spam filtering for all my emails, but this doesn't seem to be making a difference.

The mystery continues. Could somebody from Groundspeak comment?

My search for the problem has gone all the way to the datacenter...

The reason would appear to be that one of the two addresses sending emails from Groundspeak is on an email blacklist. If this is really the case, mails would be blocked at the entry to the datacenter before they even get to my server or spamfilter.

Grrrr....

Edited by Redgremlin

[rant]

Tonight I get a message from support...

It is so clear that they have not actually read what I have sent them, they are just replying with standard responses - and these are not even correct.

Tonight it's - so you have emails blocked... therefore we will give you advice when you can't access the site... turn off tor... turn off proxies... what has that got to do with emails that are being blocked somewhere between Groundspeak and my provider? I have access to the site.

My ISP has been kind enough to trace the problem as far as they can, linking it to a spam blacklisting. They are requesting a copy of a bounce message so that they trace further the issue. Groundspeak on the other hand... the kind of support that makes your blood boil.

And the bizarre fact - I receive the emails from support - but not any of the notifications.

This situation is quite frankly ridiculous; I pay for premium services. I have not been getting those services for the last 15 days. With the last message from support, my patience has run out.

[/rant]