GPR Triangulation Devices (?)

Hi,

I am in the process of looking for some technology and just not sure what/where to find it specifically or what I should be looking for. I am looking to find 3 devices (GPS?) that are extremely accurate and will work in close range (1 ft-40 ft roughly). The three devices need to be able to talk to each other to triangulate positions, etc. One would be a home-base type thing that is stationary and the other two would be mobile but they'd all need to communicate with each other in real-time. I know the technology exists, I just don't know what it is called and where to look. Thanks for any help!

Brian

Hi,

I am in the process of looking for some technology and just not sure what/where to find it specifically or what I should be looking for. I am looking to find 3 devices (GPS?) that are extremely accurate and will work in close range (1 ft-40 ft roughly). The three devices need to be able to talk to each other to triangulate positions, etc. One would be a home-base type thing that is stationary and the other two would be mobile but they'd all need to communicate with each other in real-time. I know the technology exists, I just don't know what it is called and where to look. Thanks for any help!

Brian

Sounds like a robotics project to me. I don't think you will find solution with user grade GPS devices as we know them due to the accuracy limits. Your range limits sound like the accuracy limits of hand held devices on the market. You might be better at creating some sort of visual position determining system then linking that into your own system via radio links. That is a wireless network. Perhaps even using Wifi cards or BTooth tech. Take a look at the stuff NASA did with dot patterns way back. You can have a lot of permutations of a few dots... both for size and pattern. Size can give range and pattern a unique ID. Add some bearing determining device and you can triangulate. I was part of a group once that was playing with this for free ranging robot devices and it wasn't that hard to do on paper, real life and budget put it down the tubes however.

A lot depends on the environment as well. We were playing in 2D, 3D would be more involved. Size and computing power were limits to us, but these days tech is way beyond where we were, but that means the older hardware should be a lot cheaper, even if it is newer than what we had. Personal skills of course are a limiting factor, so you may need to seek assistance if you can't handle it (yet).

Care to share the concept? We were thinking about automated snow removal / grass cutting!

Doug 7rxc