Rinos, Mapsource and Base Camp

I didn't know exactly where to ask this: I have a Garmin Rino 110, 130, and a brand new 655t. I bought Map Source years ago to support the two older models and just downloaded Base Camp to support the 655t. Map Source doesn't recognize the 655t and Base Camp won't recognize the two older ones. How the heck do I transfer data from the two older ones to the 655t?

I didn't know exactly where to ask this: I have a Garmin Rino 110, 130, and a brand new 655t. I bought Map Source years ago to support the two older models and just downloaded Base Camp to support the 655t. Map Source doesn't recognize the 655t and Base Camp won't recognize the two older ones. How the heck do I transfer data from the two older ones to the 655t?

Do Mapsource and Basecamp talk to each other? You would (in theory) send everything from the old devices to Mapsource, save in a format that Basecamp can use, load into Basecamp.

Maybe there's a suitable conversion utility for routes or whatever you need to transfer. Check this out:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3898

Let us know if you find a way. Some of us have been putting off this same thing (switching from Mapsource to Basecamp), because it seems like it will be a magor hassle. :P

Edited by kunarion

I'm not familiar with any of the GPS units you have, but a quick look at the forums found discussion about exporting or saving Map Source data as GPX files. Is that possible with the data you are trying to move?

I don't know any files common to both BaseCamp and Map Source. But even if there are, it shouldn't be this hard. The two programs sole purpose is to support Garmin GPS devices and they should mesh seamlessly. Garmin gets two thumbs down for putting out this crap. And whereas Map source was intuitive and easy to learn, BaseCamp looks like it will take a lot of studying. If I could get Map Source to recognize the 655t I would never bother with BaseCamp.

Got it figured out. The whole thing is a big "two thumbs down" for Garmins R&D dept. but credit should go to the friendly tech support people who at least tried to figure it out. The instructions in the email from tech support, which basically told me to update Mapsource, save the data, export or save to BaseCamp, the download to the 655t, didn't work. So I called them and a very helpful guy, who agreed that TRASFERING DATA TO THE NEW MODELS AND USING BASECAMP IN GENERAL IS A MAJOR PAIN, tried to get it done and couldn't. He said I could return it and that LOTS OF PEOPLE ALREADY HAVE FOR THE SAME REASON.

Then just for the heck of it, I right clicked on the highlighted data in Mapsource, hit "copy", brought up BaseCamp with the 655t plugged in, right clicked on "internal storage" and hit paste. It worked. If its that simple, why don't they know at Garmin?

It "is" that simple and that's probably what confused the support people......what is "the problem" that you don't understand??

Any "old" data that you have in Mapsource, just "save" it in GPX format. Now, in GPX format, you can open it with either Basecamp...OR...Mapsource.

Use Mapsource to put it into the old ones, or Basecamp to put it into the new one.

Or when hooked up and seen as a separate "drive", just move GPX files into the correct folder with Windows Explorer (PC) without using EITHER program.

It "is" that simple and that's probably what confused the support people......what is "the problem" that you don't understand??

Any "old" data that you have in Mapsource, just "save" it in GPX format. Now, in GPX format, you can open it with either Basecamp...OR...Mapsource.

Use Mapsource to put it into the old ones, or Basecamp to put it into the new one.

Or when hooked up and seen as a separate "drive", just move GPX files into the correct folder with Windows Explorer (PC) without using EITHER program.

I don't want to go on too much about this but the process you just described, which is one of the ways thats SUPPOSED to work, didn't. Niether did saving it as a GMP file, which was the first thing the tech had me try. He said it is probably because Mapsource updates sometimes don't work. I un-installed and re- installed Mapsource and re did the updates but got the same results.

I don't really understand why people find Basecamp is so difficult. The interface seems nearly identical to MapSource (at least as I was using it in 2007).

I don't find the user interface even remotely similar, and I find Basecamp dog slow by comparison. Then there's annoying things -- having to fiddle maps of caches to get GC codes vs. the cache names (possible on map, NOT possible in left column listing). If you are even able to 'bulk' modify to get symbol + code instead of symbol + name (I've never been able to 'open' more than one at a time to change properties), the list doesn't change, just the map.

The annoyances are too many to mention. Yes, Mapsource has annoyances too, just not as bad nor as many when it comes to day to day use.

Edited by ecanderson

Basecamp isn't really a geocache manager, even though it has some geocaching functionality, it's mostly for use with opencaching.com. As far as creating and managing waypoints, routes, and tracks, it seems very similar to the mapsource I had used. The mapsource I used came with the GPS60, so maybe it was a lite version.