Top This? OK, It's a good one!

Guest Gaxxer

Guest Gaxxer

The story starts 20 years ago, when my father died, and I was overseas in the Persian Gulf. My Sister, and my Uncle Mo had to make some choices about what to do with his ashes, and they chose a remote site in the White Mountains of Arizona, on Apache land...

Never mind the legal implications, but fast forward to about three years ago, and this burial begins to bother my sister. She wants dad interred somewhere more conventional. I can't think of any decent arguments against it, and I CAN think of several reasons for his remains to not stay where they are!

Problem.

She doesn't remember where she buried him, and Uncle Mo is gone now.

She has some photo's that she took the day of the burial, but that's it.

It took me two years of research. Repeated visits to the USGS in Washington, D.C. A couple of visits to the Reservation, and more than a few dollars in equipment.

But I did it.

No GPS grid coordinates, no maps to start. We found a brass urn buried under 18 inches of rocky soil on a mountain side in North East Arizona.

The final clue for us was a tree of all things, that had not changed, except to grow up, in 18 years!

And that, boys and girls, is the ultimate GeoCache!

Dad is resting quietly now in a cemetary, near Atlanta...