Packing A Meal

I'm planning a trip to a local recreation area with my kids in a few weeks to pick up some caches along the trails. What I don't want to do is to have to stop at 11, turn around to find a place to eat, then come back.

I have a surplus army backpack with a fair amount of space, so I'm wondering what people would suggest for a lunch for a dad and two kids that didn't necessarily have to be kept cold (I'm thinking MREs might just be a bit of overkill).

I'm planning a trip to a local recreation area with my kids in a few weeks to pick up some caches along the trails. What I don't want to do is to have to stop at 11, turn around to find a place to eat, then come back.

I have a surplus army backpack with a fair amount of space, so I'm wondering what people would suggest for a lunch for a dad and two kids that didn't necessarily have to be kept cold (I'm thinking MREs might just be a bit of overkill).

Uncrustables. My favorite trail snack.

I actually have a box of those in my freezer. Im just worried about keeping stuff cold. I figure we'd get started on the trails a few hours, and need to keep stuff cold.

Maybe I'll just break down and get some MREs.

We take them from the freezer, put them in freezer bags and place near the water in the hydropacks.

By the time lunch time comes along, they're thawed and ready to eat.

PB&J is simple energy.

Everyone's favourite sandwich.

Some crackers, cheese, sausage, and pickles, or whatever your take on that is. Just take all the pieces and build little cracker sandwiches when you stop.

Fruit. Grapes don't make a mess of hands and faces.

What would you normally eat for lunch...?

I actually have a box of those in my freezer. Im just worried about keeping stuff cold. I figure we'd get started on the trails a few hours, and need to keep stuff cold.

Maybe I'll just break down and get some MREs.

We take them from the freezer, put them in freezer bags and place near the water in the hydropacks.

By the time lunch time comes along, they're thawed and ready to eat.

PB&J is simple energy.

Yep, it all depends on how you pack it. I used to a long weekend backpacking trip every year with a bunch of friends and a few rituals began to develop after a few years. One was that everyone would pack in a steak and something that would go into a pot for a stew for the first night campfire dinner. Wrapping a steak in aluminum foil, a layer of newspaper, and another layer of aluminum foil insulates a frozen steak for a long time. On another trip a friend brought in a half dozen home made tamales that his mother made. They were still quite warm when we had them for dinner. Of course, today there are all sorts of insulated lunch boxes one can get that will keep food hot or cold for a day trip.

For such purpose we usually have fresh bread (get at a baker in the morning) and some kind of chorizo/salami type sausage; such sausage, even if it's getting warm, always goes well on fresh bread. Simple and easy.

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

For such purpose we usually have fresh bread (get at a baker in the morning) and some kind of chorizo/salami type sausage; such sausage, even if it's getting warm, always goes well on fresh bread. Simple and easy.

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

When i saw your answer i thought how european and was right. Fresh bread, sausage with some cheese makes a wonderful midday meal. i usually take some of those frozen wines now but it probably wouldnt work with kids.

I just toss a sandwich in my pack. Unless it's 110 degrees, there is no reason a sandwich won't last a few hours tucked deep inside your pack.

However if you're still hesitant to do that, why not make a sandwich, freeze it and it will be thawed by lunchtime?

That or a can of tuna, a packet or two of mayo and crackers, or a wedge of cheddar or asaigo (hard cheeses will last several days unrefrigerated) and crackers. Ir maybe a small jar of peanut butter and a packet of pita bread.

OK, here's my thought...

You're not hiking overnight so you have room for some blue ice. Depending on how into hiking/geocaching your kids are, a great lunch in the woods may just be the ticket to a great day with dad. Heck, when Shark and I maxed our abilities in WV, some comfort food made all the difference. I know some serious hikers that pack comfort stuff like cigars, wine etc.

Scroggin is always great for snacking on the way (the kids will love it). You can't go wrong with muesli/cereal bars either. Well wrapped sandwiches will keep well, so long as you don't fill them with soggy stuff, so stick to your basic fillings like VEGEMITE or peanut butter and jelly, whatever you like, but just non soggy! Fruit is good too - an orange, apple or banana is great trail food. A bar of chocolate and some jelly snakes for energy snacks is a good idea too! You could also go all out and make a quiche/egg and bacon pie/flann type of thing and wrap it well and put it in a insulated lunch box with a frozen box of juice. Boiled eggs travel well too. Nuts. Popcorn. Jerky.

I just toss a sandwich in my pack. Unless it's 110 degrees, there is no reason a sandwich won't last a few hours tucked deep inside your pack.

However if you're still hesitant to do that, why not make a sandwich, freeze it and it will be thawed by lunchtime?

That or a can of tuna, a packet or two of mayo and crackers, or a wedge of cheddar or asaigo (hard cheeses will last several days unrefrigerated) and crackers. Ir maybe a small jar of peanut butter and a packet of pita bread.

For a single day long hike, I've never had any problems with just a couple of sandwiches in a Ziploc bag. Maybe a bag of chips, or a couple of granola/nutrition bars. Salami, ham or other cured meats are not going to spoil in half a day without refrigeration. You might want to skip the mayo. Kids have been taking sack lunches to school for a hundred years without any problems. I don't see why it would be an issue on a day hike.

Personally when I go hiking, usually 6-10 hour hikes I bring a lot of water in plastic bottles. 1/2 I freeze, then I pack my food, usually sandwiches and beef jerky in te middles of my backpack and the water around it.

I have my 2-liter water bladder in my backpack and I grab 3 20-oz bottles of frozen water out of the freezer and stuff them around the bladder. It gives me nice cold water on the trail and it also keeps my back cool. If I go through the water in the bladder, I have the bottles for reserve.

Well, it took a little while to find it. I searched Planet Wraps and came up with a bunch of old threads that mentioned my wraps at past events, but when I searched "hummous" I found it in an old 2003 What's the best geocaching food thread. (Because I spelled it wrong then)

Posted 15 October 2003 - 03:47 AM

Just ask dboggny what he thinks of these!

Take large flour tortillas.

Get roast beef, salami, baby spinach, swiss cheese, cream cheese, turkey, hummus, shredded carrots, lettuce, ham., mayo. mustard.

On a flour tortilla spread not quite to the edge a thin coating of mayo and mustard, put one layer of ham, swiss, lettuce, roll it up and toothpick it to hold it closed. Cut it in half and bag it.

on another use cream cheese, salami and spinach.

Turkey lettuce, cheese, mayo.

Roast beef, hummus, spinach.

You get the idea, use your own favorite ingredients. The initial layer should be thin or you end up with a big huge mess.

These sandwiches are packable, and you can cut them into whatever sizes you want, little finger sandwiches, thirds, halves, whole, whatever. It doesn't matter if you squish them down a bit, and they are very tasty too.

Planet

On warm days I do not use mayonnaise, so I don't have to keep it chilled. I use hummus that comes in assorted flavors, and guacamole instead. Mustard is ok. If you let kids decide what they want on them and let them make them, they will enjoy them more.

I toothpick them to hold them together, and put them all in on large baggie. And that baggie doubles as a CITO bag on your way out. No muss, no fuss.

These days, my ingredients have expanded to shredded cabbage, carrots, mixed baby greens, thinly sliced cucumbers, sprouts, you name it, I can put a whole chef salad in a wrap! Just use your favorites. Tomatoes and stuff like that are too wet for a packable wrap. You don't want a soggy sandwich on the trail. Keep your layers thin and layer them on the half facing you, they will spread to the rest of the wrap when you roll it up.

72d2145e-e109-42c0-aa1f-5e2fc662ec34.jpg

GoPicnic boxes are a favorite in my house. There are kid-friendly boxes for the Geotot and vegan, gluten-free options for the Geocompanion. Target usually has them on sale for around $3.50 each, and I think the heaviest one is only about 6 oz. You'll need to pack separate beverages.

When I am going to be out for at least 3 hours, I keep an assortment of Clif energy bars in my pack, along with 2 liters of water in the hydration bladder.

If I'll be out longer than that, I usually have a couple PB&J sandwiches as well (No worries about PB&J going bad) and an energy drink.

Just do some sandwiches + fruit.

Peanut butter + jelly or cheese sandwiches should be fine for a few hours. For fruit, apples or grapes are good.

Yep,, peanut butter and jelly does the trick nicely. That was my main quisine in elementary school and always tasted good even after being under my desk or in my locker for a few hours. Some chips, fruit, and/or a cupcake type snack or two add to the tastiness. Of course, don't forget drinks!

Frozen water bottle keeps things cold for several hours. Melts and you have a bottle of drinking water. Empty, twist it up and put the cap back on, it takes up little to no room in the CITO bag. I pack things that result in little to no waste to pack back out. When I'm P&Ging, I toss a gallon water bottle, a 500 ml watr bottle and a can of soup in the backpack.

For a single day long hike, I've never had any problems with just a couple of sandwiches in a Ziploc bag. Maybe a bag of chips, or a couple of granola/nutrition bars. Salami, ham or other cured meats are not going to spoil in half a day without refrigeration. You might want to skip the mayo. Kids have been taking sack lunches to school for a hundred years without any problems. I don't see why it would be an issue on a day hike.

True. No need to skip the mayo either. It doesn't spoil as readily as people think. It is vinegar based and high in acid. One of my favorite trail sandwiches comes from my local deli, a sub with turkey, bacon, tomatoes an mayo. I eat it on the trail for lunch after after buying it at 7 am and I've been doing it for years. But if mayo scars ya, use mustard.

And if the idea of unrefrigerated sandwiches still scares people, they sell small, light weight soft sided coolers (about 6 pack size). Throw in a frozen cooler pack and your sandwiches and they will be still cold come lunchtime.

I must not be normal. When out on an all day hike I seldom think of food at all. I'll take a pint of water and maybe a granola bar which I usually eat in the car on the way home.

Heading off into our mountains with a pint of water, especially during the summer, could kill you. Seriously.

Cornish Pasty (I'll let the non-Brits google it yourself), I suppose you could pack it frozen and let it thaw but unless it's tropical heat I wouldn't bother.

I also often take a Chorizo but that's just for cutting a slice off every now and then on the trail, it's not part of the meal.

You need to be careful with Cornish Pasties. If they escape from your bag they can cover a surprising distance before you catch up with them. If they take off and you don't notice for a few minutes you'll never see them again.

Luckily if you're in the right part of Cornwall and brought the right bait you can catch another one without too much difficulty.

I go on 5-10 mile hikes on trails in the middle of nowhere all the time. Used to pack a sandwich and chips and drinks but would rarely finish them. I've now grown used to packing a power bar, a 6" subway sandwich, and the rest of my pack space is conserved for fluids. Even if I'm gone for 8+ hours it seems to be more than enough and I don't even get the slightest bit hungry until I get back home again.

Edited by Psychoticjester

I must not be normal. When out on an all day hike I seldom think of food at all. I'll take a pint of water and maybe a granola bar which I usually eat in the car on the way home.

You're not alone. When geocaching by my own and walking to the country I usually don't care about food too. Neither about water (we don't have deserts around here so I can easily find water if needed). With longer trips (when I have to spend at least one night in wilderness) it's different of course. And this approach is definitely no good for kids, they need to eat/drink more often. Our portions is then well-balanced, e.g. cheese, cookies, nuts, sweets, etc. Everything fits into one tupperware plastic box that we use for hiding geocaches normally :)

Millions of lunches are carried to school each year and are stored in unrefrigerated desks and lockers. I have never heard of a single news article or incident of someone getting sick off a home packed school lunch because because it was not in a cooler. If it's a day trip just pack a regular lunch, it's not going to go bad in 4 to 5 hours.

andorra-picknick.jpg

Not shown: a good french mountain cheese.

There was a time before refigerators. But there are other means of preservation. Salami and hard cheese are among them - and taste very good!

I guessed by the user name and picture that eigengott was from Germany. Back in the days I spent months backpacking through Europe and pretty much lived off that type of food. Throw in a couple of apples or carrots to even things out and I would say you have a nice meal. Try it out on the kids before you go, they might prefer softer Cotto Salami over hard Salami.

I think the important thing with kids is to let them help packing the snack...It gets them involved and they will probably eat it better if they have some ownership in choosing the days meal...

MREs...no way...YECCCHHH... I am retired Army and have spent lots of time in the field and combat deployments and I wouldn't touch them then....In Iraq we packed Bananas, KIWI, boiled eggs, and energy bars and saved the MREs for the locals...LOL...

Edited by basscat5

Doesn't sound normal to me! A pint of water for an all day hike? I take a 3 liter CamelBak for me and my dog and have almost run out on hot days. In cooler weather 1L each would be enough. For food I take 4 trail bars; 2 for me and 2 for the dog. I don't know why but I don't seem to get hungry while hiking, either.

Doesn't sound normal to me! A pint of water for an all day hike? I take a 3 liter CamelBak for me and my dog and have almost run out on hot days. In cooler weather 1L each would be enough. For food I take 4 trail bars; 2 for me and 2 for the dog. I don't know why but I don't seem to get hungry while hiking, either.

I've noticed this as well. When I go out for an intense day of caching, I usually have a substantial breakfast, and pack a can of soup for lunch in the car. A gallon of water refills the 500 ML bottles that I keep in the trail pack. Often I skip the "noon meal" entirely and treat myself to a hearty dinner upon return. I believe that during strenuous exercise, such as long hikes, your body delays hunger, diverting blood supply from the stomache to the leg muscles.