Time to get with the times and learn from power trails.

Power trails are popular enough to hold their own. The containers are small and insignificant as to not be mistaken for a Geocache.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++1

I take it you've never done the thunderbird or train in Idaho, those containers are larger than 90% of the geocaches out there.

GC code please. I don't have time right now to mess with the cache name lookup.

Power trails are popular enough to hold their own. The containers are small and insignificant as to not be mistaken for a Geocache.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++1

I take it you've never done the thunderbird or train in Idaho, those containers are larger than 90% of the geocaches out there.

Here

Zoom out.

Edited by Roman!

That's why I think power trails should be moved to their own website. Power trail "caching" has very little to do with geocaching. With the latter the point is to actually find geocaches.

That kind of logical thinking could get you nominated for geocacher of the year for 2013.

For years, we were able to joke that microcaching.com was available, but some knucklehead had to go snap it up in 2011. Whois lookup for microcaching.com :ph34r:

Here

Zoom out.

Jeez-O-Pete! Thousands of caches for that username. I really don't have the techy skills to evaluate for % above micro, but just page by page they look like mostly micros. Your point is made though. Not all are insignificant.

Here

Zoom out.

Jeez-O-Pete! Thousands of caches for that username. I really don't have the techy skills to evaluate for % above micro, but just page by page they look like mostly micros. Your point is made though. Not all are insignificant.

They were all hard plastic tubes about 10" long and 1/2" in diameter. They were borderline smalls.

I can not begin to imagine the work that went into creating that train.

And every one of the letterboxes in the 2 smoke clouds had a small stamp in them.

Edited by Roman!

Here

Zoom out.

They were all hard plastic tubes about 10" long and 1/2" in diameter. They were borderline smalls.

Not to derail the thread, but anything 1/2" in diameter no matter how long (there's an OOC line if I ever heard one) is a micro.

Here

Zoom out.

Not to derail the thread, but anything 1/2" in diameter no matter how long (there's an OOC line if I ever heard one) is a micro.

I said that they were larger than 90% of the caches, pretty much any cache out there labeled a micro will be smaller.

I said that they were larger than 90% of the caches, pretty much any cache out there labeled a micro will be smaller.

I understand...not being argumentative here. Your point that powertrails can have good caches mixed-in is valid.

And they can be fun like the fun I had with my kids or the 6 hours we spent offloading in the desert in a rented jeep doing the jet or putting a $125,000 Mercedes 4x4 on two wheels on a pretty sketchy hill.

yet dozens of other people gleefully posted finds on it as they drove by doing only some of the caches in the big power trail.

I have been wondering how some people get 3459 finds in a year or two of caching. Some with 9875 finds as well in 4 or 5 years. Either you are retired and caching is all you do or a lot are just "I drove/walked/flew by it so I can log it".

Or you go on an awesome trip with your kids, have your son experience his first time driving on route 66 2 days before his 16th birthday and all in all have an awesome time as do your kids and then you spend a fun week with friends in Idaho.

Not too hard to do and easy to stamp/sign every sing logbook of every single cache you've been to.

I know you're like Canadian and everything, but wouldn't that be illegal, two days before his birthday? :ph34r:

Wow, I seriously never noticed you have well over 7,000 finds in 2 years and one week of caching. I don't think you're trolling. I think the opinions expressed by Roman! are indicative of many 3,500 find/year cachers. The other ones just don't have time to post here and express them, that's all. :)

yet dozens of other people gleefully posted finds on it as they drove by doing only some of the caches in the big power trail.

I have been wondering how some people get 3459 finds in a year or two of caching. Some with 9875 finds as well in 4 or 5 years. Either you are retired and caching is all you do or a lot are just "I drove/walked/flew by it so I can log it".

Or you go on an awesome trip with your kids, have your son experience his first time driving on route 66 2 days before his 16th birthday and all in all have an awesome time as do your kids and then you spend a fun week with friends in Idaho.

Not too hard to do and easy to stamp/sign every sing logbook of every single cache you've been to.

I know you're like Canadian and everything, but wouldn't that be illegal, two days before his birthday? :ph34r:

Wow, I seriously never noticed you have well over 7,000 finds in 2 years and one week of caching. I don't think you're trolling. I think the opinions expressed by Roman! are indicative of many 3,500 find/year cachers. The other ones just don't have time to post here and express them, that's all. :)

Ok, you got me, I broke the law Geocaching but I do know its an experience my son will cherish forever.

As for the 7k find, 1k came from Route 66 in January and 2k came from my trip to Idaho that I just got home from.

I quit smoking 2 years ago after 20 years and stated hiking, then I discovered Geocaching and found I like being outdoors be it all day hikes, long bike rides or power trail vacations.

I have fun and I'm way healthier than I ever was.

Do I believe everything I post? Absolutely not..

Edited by Roman!

Isn't there some kind of rule about obvious trolling?

Apparently they've made an exception in the OP's case cause we get a thread like this every couple weeks or so. :unsure:

They are throwdown powertroll threads spaced apart every 5.28 weeks or so, but somehow I still feel the compulsion to log every one.. :rolleyes:

Luckily, the geobeer did not come out of my nose. :lol:

Apparently they've made an exception in the OP's case cause we get a thread like this every couple weeks or so. :unsure:

And people bite every time. :laughing:

Power Trails are boring to me, but the only real problem I find with Power Trails is that the finders will treat nearby caches the same which makes more work for CO's of Non-PTs.

If you enjoy them go for it and Roman I think it's great you and your kids had a great time.

Edited by captnemo

Two points. If they had been caught, the CHP would have confiscated the vehicle for 30 days. If it was a rental, they would be responsible for not only 30 days impound storage fees at the impound lot, but a 30 day rental as well.

I know at least 4 cachers who's find rate would make Roman look like a part timer. For some reason, they seem much more humble.

Two points. If they had been caught, the CHP would have confiscated the vehicle for 30 days. If it was a rental, they would be responsible for not only 30 days impound storage fees at the impound lot, but a 30 day rental as well.

I know at least 4 cachers who's find rate would make Roman look like a part timer. For some reason, they seem much more humble.

Well worth the risk for the experience my son had.

Power Trails are boring to me, but the only real problem I find with Power Trails is that the finders will treat nearby caches the same which makes more work for CO's of Non-PTs.

If you enjoy them go for it and Roman I think it's great you and your kids had a great time.

I agree that this is the black eye for power trails. We were very aware of what caches were not part of the power trail and respected them. From the logs I've seen power trails do get a lot of visits and for the most part the cachers do respect individual caches but like in everything else here are black sheep that will apply powertrail tactics to other caches on the route but its not as rampant as the forum oldtimers/regulars would have you believe.

Here

Zoom out.

Thanks for that one. You get a smiley... http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=33.99803&lng=-98.63749&z=13

Ok, you got me, I broke the law Geocaching but I do know its an experience my son will cherish forever.

As for the 7k find, 1k came from Route 66 in January and 2k came from my trip to Idaho that I just got home from.

I quit smoking 2 years ago after 20 years and stated hiking, then I discovered Geocaching and found I like being outdoors be it all day hikes, long bike rides or power trail vacations.

Oh, I was totally messing with you on all counts. By the way, I hope no 3,500+ find a year cachers are offended. Including you, of course. :laughing: Subtract the PT's and that's still 2,000 a year, that's a lot of caching.

Great story about quitting smoking, and taking up hiking. Congratulations!

I do have to say though, a 15 yr. old driving, and you all being from Canada, that could have gotten you in some serious hot water. Especially if a rental car. But the chances of being caught were extremely small. No problem here, just messin' wit ya' as I said.

Oh, I was totally messing with you on all counts. By the way, I hope no 3,500+ find a year cachers are offended. Including you, of course. :laughing: Subtract the PT's and that's still 2,000 a year, that's a lot of caching.

I do have to say though, a 15 yr. old driving, and you all being from Canada, that could have gotten you in some serious hot water. Especially if a rental car. But the chances of being caught were extremely small. No problem here, just messin' wit ya' as I said.

Re driving I think Roman and son did fine.....on that section of Route 66 you could sun bath in the road......way safer than a Wall-mart parking lot early on Sunday......and you can say you drove on the mother road, one of the most famous in the U.S.

I agree that this is the black eye for power trails. We were very aware of what caches were not part of the power trail and respected them. From the logs I've seen power trails do get a lot of visits and for the most part the cachers do respect individual caches but like in everything else here are black sheep that will apply powertrail tactics to other caches on the route but its not as rampant as the forum oldtimers/regulars would have you believe.

You are unbelievable. While the thread quickly drifted off the specific topic, this was EXACTLY what you were proposing. Now, you are disagreeing with your own topic suggestion. What color is your wool?

You are unbelievable. While the thread quickly drifted off the specific topic, this was EXACTLY what you were proposing. Now, you are disagreeing with your own topic suggestion. What color is your wool?

I know, way back when you had to hike to a cache uphill both ways in the snow life was good but things change.

One of the changes has been power trails and they even come with their own accepted rules.

Love them or hate them, there is one thing that should be mandatory that we take away from them.

We need a rule that if one can not find a cache within 5 minutes they are obligated to leave a throw-down. This will prevent a lot of unnecessary wear and tear onboth man-made objects and mother nature, surely there can be no objection to preventing unwanted damage.

This alone may save the future of geocaching as we know it.

fluffed_sheep_small_zps87ce1ef2.jpg

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

As for the rest, I'm just making suggestions to protect our environment, that is important, no?

If you really wanted to protect the environment you really should be advocating the fewer caches to be published. The fewer caches that there are out there to be found the fewer places there would be with geocachers tramping about destroying the environment.

LOL, LOL, The cacher who paddles must not utter those comments where the N.W. Cali. environmentalists could hear them, the geocaching activity itself might become endangered. Shhhhhhhhhhhh

Hey NYPC I will be in Mendo. next week, need anything?? How about you Sagefox?

Edited by humboldt flier

Power trail "caching" has very little to do with geocaching.

I don't know how you figure that, there are Coords you go to the location, you find the container, and sign the provided log. Just because you don't like power trails doesn't mean it isn't a Geocache.

SS

Sorry, I should have been more clear, I was referring to containers being moved and it would suck if your ammo can got moved to the next cache in someone's power trail, does not change the fact that throw downs could save environmental damage.

I don't know how you figure that, there are Coords you go to the location, you find the container, and sign the provided log. Just because you don't like power trails doesn't mean it isn't a Geocache.
What about the "return the geocache to its original location" part of geocaching?

I don't know how you figure that, there are Coords you go to the location, you find the a container that was moved there from somewhere else or thrown-down, and sign the provided log stamp, sticker, or sometimes sign a log that may or may not have been in the container.

Fixed that for you.

Face it, the generally-accepted rules of geocaching are suspended for power trails.

I don't know how you figure that, there are Coords you go to the location, you find the a container that was moved there from somewhere else or thrown-down, and sign the provided log stamp, sticker, or sometimes sign a log that may or may not have been in the container.

Fixed that for you.

Face it, the generally-accepted rules of geocaching are suspended for power trails.

that can be said for a lot of non power trail caches.

I don't know how you figure that, there are Coords you go to the location drive by, you find the container throw a film canister with a tiny slip of paper with your name on it out your car window, and sign the provided log. Just because you don't like power trails doesn't mean it isn't a Geocache.

Fixed it for you.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I don't know how you figure that, there are Coords you go to the location drive by, you find the container throw a film canister with a tiny slip of paper with your name on it out your car window, and sign the provided log. Just because you don't like power trails doesn't mean it isn't a Geocache.

Fixed it for you.

Is that supposed to be funny or just ignorance?

Mind you to be expected, soon as a new cacher comes to the forum to ask about FTFs or power trails they are chastised to the point they never return and I get called the troll, yah right.

I've started responses several times to this thread but in the end it difficult to argue over the proper way to eat ice cream.

Although Signal is shown licking a cone, I don't doubt that someone would complain that licking ice cream from a cone has little to do with real ice cream eating, or perhaps that we should get with times and eat ice cream with a spoon?

:mmraspberry:

I've started responses several times to this thread but in the end it difficult to argue over the proper way to eat ice cream.

Although Signal is shown licking a cone, I don't doubt that someone would complain that licking ice cream from a cone has little to do with real ice cream eating, or perhaps that we should get with times and eat ice cream with a spoon?

But you must admit puzzles have a lot less to do with caching than power trails.

I tried adopting your logic to other things, like baseball. I hate baseball. I like soccer better. So when the ball came at me, I let it hit the ground, and I began to kick it toward home base. You should have heard the whining. The umpire didn't even let me have a point for kicking it past the catcher, so I had to give myself a point in my own mental scoreboard.

Monopoly with friends last night turned out rather badly. We all know how long that game goes. Instead of paying the required rent at Park Place, I offered to negotiate for a lower price. The other guy wasn't having it, so I continued on to Go and stopped there, which would have been better, but the group disagreed. I'm sure you would agree that people should not be so closed-minded, but they were very stubborn about it. In the end, nothing could deter them, so I challenged them to a bout of pugilism, and that solved it, permanently. Now I have no friends.

So, I have to agree with you that there is no proper way to eat ice cream. My preferred method is to slap it forcefully into your face. It's less fattening that way, and the added benefit is that doing so enough times might cause you to reconsider your position.

Perhaps we could lick the cache containers instead of signing them? As we all know that signing the log is not necessary.*

*Under the sole discretion of the cache owner, as the site requires logbooks and asks everyone to sign them.

Sorry, I should have been more clear, I was referring to containers being moved and it would suck if your ammo can got moved to the next cache in someone's power trail, does not change the fact that throw downs could save environmental damage.

We shall save the environment by littering? Is this is what we learned from power trails? What I have learned from powertails is that some cachers who do them have no patience for looking regular caches for more than 5 minutes, as well as spending 5 minutes trying to solve a puzzle. Their attention span seems to be spent bumping their own troll thread. :P

Fixed it for you.

Is that supposed to be funny or just ignorance?

Mind you to be expected, soon as a new cacher comes to the forum to ask about FTFs or power trails they are chastised to the point they never return and I get called the troll, yah right.

I can see where your're coming from there. Both the FTF side game, and roadside micro every 528 feet Power Trails (note how I bolded that to distinguish from say a Rails to Trails Power trail you have to walk or bike several miles on) are not that popular here in the forums. I don't know that I'd consider the responses to either "trolling" though. I think the trolling perception comes from actually starting threads such as "let's make the FTF game legitimate", for example. Just my observation, take it or leave it. :lol:

We shall save the environment by littering? Is this is what we learned from power trails? What I have learned from powertails is that some cachers who do them have no patience for looking regular caches for more than 5 minutes, as well as spending 5 minutes trying to solve a puzzle. Their attention span seems to be spent bumping their own troll thread. :P

If cache containers are considered litter then maybe we should ban caching altogether then, doesn't matter if its one or five at GZ, still litter.

Anyways, you guys have degenerated this thread into another attack on power trails, the subject of this thread is will mandatory throw downs reduce damage to the environment?

If you want to complain about power trails, FTFs or me please take it elsewhere.

Edited by Roman!

Anyways, you guys have degenerated this thread into another attack on power trails, the subject of this thread is will mandatory throw downs reduce damage to the environment?

Hey, you're the one that started the topic regarding what you knew full-well would attract attacks like flies to honey. Actually, I'm pretty sure you started it with that sole intention, and these topics of yours are getting pretty tiring. Take them to Off-Topic if you really can't live your life without posting such cruft online.

But anyway... back on "topic".

"...will mandatory throw downs reduce damage to the environment?"

No.

IBTL :drama:

Edit to add: Also, I'm done with this discussion. Say whatever you want about me, I won't see it.

Edited by The A-Team

I know, way back when you had to hike to a cache uphill both ways in the snow life was good but things change.

One of the changes has been power trails and they even come with their own accepted rules.

Love them or hate them, there is one thing that should be mandatory that we take away from them.

We need a rule that if one can not find a cache within 5 minutes they are obligated to leave a throw-down. This will prevent a lot of unnecessary wear and tear onboth man-made objects and mother nature, surely there can be no objection to preventing unwanted damage.

This alone may save the future of geocaching as we know it.

We had a series and one of the stages got two throwdowns at different times.

Both logged they "were trying to help the CO", though most know we fix 'em when it's mentioned in a log, not waiting for a NM.

The area around GZ was trashed and what was a small overhang wall of rock that was one step from the trail (and in the hint) became a pile of rubble.

Both throwdowns were on top and back from the wall, our hide was under the overhang to prevent any damage.

Both times as we biked to fix, we realized that since most could see the white film cans from the trail, they climbed up at the overhang to access them.

Not sure when Geocaching.com accepted throwdowns in their guidelines.

Can't find it listed anywhere, so assume it's written on the cache page after the Reviewer publishes it.

We've seen throwdowns as early as '05. Those bad habits were around well before power trails existed.

If a person can't find an ammo can in a tree hole hide, they'd probably have the same attention span for "Mother Nature".

Geotrails, upturned logs and rocks, broken twigs and leaves shuffled about, do not cause permanent damage. Anything causing permanent damage should be archived. After a year of non activity nature takes back all geosites. Trails grow in and things return to normal. Paved roads and parking lots also get taken back by nature eventually, although it takes much longer. Dropping multiple caches in spots because it takes longer than 5 minutes to find is the the definition of impatience, and asinine as well. You know very well that many people dislike this, and it is probably the exact reason why you suggested it. Type A personalities often are confrontational and angry when drinking.

But you must admit puzzles have a lot less to do with caching than power trails.
No, I don't. Puzzle caches have been part of geocaching since 2000, the year geocaching begin. Solving the puzzle of a puzzle cache is generally a key part of determining where ground zero is located, which is a key part of finding the cache.

the subject of this thread is will mandatory throw downs reduce damage to the environment?
No, it won't. Instead of a well-hidden cache with adequate permission, we'll have a well-hidden cache with adequate permission plus one or more throw-down "replacement" containers left without adequate permission. Just because I have permission to place a camouflaged cache somewhere doesn't mean that others have permission to toss film canisters there.

[Yeah, yeah, I know. But at least I'm not getting him wet, feeding him after midnight (PST), or exposing him to bright light. Oh, wait, that's something else...]

Re driving I think Roman and son did fine.....on that section of Route 66 you could sun bath in the road......way safer than a Wall-mart parking lot early on Sunday......and you can say you drove on the mother road, one of the most famous in the U.S.

I'm well aware of the road. I found all of the other caches on it long before people even even thought about power trails. While finding one, I did have a CHP cruiser pull in behind me to see if I was okay. It's hard to blend in when you are the only car on the road. The risk I'm talking about was not to the public as he could get his license in two days and wouldn't be any more experienced as a driver. I was talking about the risk that they placed upon themselves, both legally and financially. Additionally, although it really wouldn't matter to them as they are from Canada, if the 15 yr old was caught driving without a license, he would be prohibited from getting a California license until he is 18. He would lose his privilege to drive at 16.

What can we learn from powertrails?

People are lazy, and want to get the maximum number of smilies per hour as is possible.

"Oh, but this powertrail is different! All the containers are different with different sizes and hide styles!"

Poppycock and codswallop.

The caches were placed in a line down a road or rail-trail for one reason:

People are lazy, and want to get the maximum number of smilies per hour as is possible.

The hiders are catering to this natural human tendency.

Spread those same caches randomly over a 50 square mile area and they will be found at a rate proportional to the ease of access...not because the container was 'unique'.

'Geo-art' falls into the same category. It's an area of concentrated smilies, and nothing more. Sure, it's cool to look at on the map. So what?

I'm well aware of the road. I found all of the other caches on it long before people even even thought about power trails. While finding one, I did have a CHP cruiser pull in behind me to see if I was okay. It's hard to blend in when you are the only car on the road. The risk I'm talking about was not to the public as he could get his license in two days and wouldn't be any more experienced as a driver. I was talking about the risk that they placed upon themselves, both legally and financially. Additionally, although it really wouldn't matter to them as they are from Canada, if the 15 yr old was caught driving without a license, he would be prohibited from getting a California license until he is 18. He would lose his privilege to drive at 16.

Do they still call them CHiPs? You know, like Ponch and Jon stop by, and check on your welfare?

Where exactly is the official "Let's talk about Roman!" thread?

Threads? He's got enough material for a whole forum. :lol:

I have a server with a ton of free space, and forum software is free. I could throw up a Roman! forum, you know. :ph34r: