Crazy people

15Tango

Yesterday, my girlfriend and I were cache hunting in a public place with public access, and we had every right to be where we were. Less than five minutes after we left the parking lot, there was a guy walking across the park shouting at us to get out of the area and swearing at us and telling us to leave, and since my girlfriend is hearing impaired, she continued towards the cache while I called 911--the person who was threatening us left when he saw me on my cell phone. We never found out what the guy's story was--he was long gone when the cops did show up 40 minutes later. The cache we were seeking was a valuable one-time only cache (web page--cache has been archived since we found it), so he might have been somebody who didn't want us to find the cache before he did, or he might have been a homeless person who lived in the woods where we were cache hunting, or he could have been having a bad acid trip, or any number of things. Has anything like this ever happened to any of our fellow cachers? How many other cachers have been in situations while caching when you've had to say, "f@#$ the animals, watch out for the other humans!!!"?

www.1800goguard.comnullnull

My daughter and I were doing a cache at a local suburban park that required walking into a dense piece of woods. There were a few 'characters' hanging around that looked like they were waiting for something...a drug deal, or what, I didn't know, but finding the cache wasn't worth it at that point.

I came back a week later and nobody was around and did it then.

I usually make a "saftey assessment" of an area when I get there before I decide to get out of the jeep and do a cache...especially if I have one of the kids with me.

It didn't happen while Geocaching, but here's the story:

I was on a lunch break one weekend at the hospital I was working at, and had just sitten down to eat. It was still kinda early for lunch, but there were several other people in there, talking quitely amongst themselves. All of a sudden, this guy sitting by himself at a table in the very back corner yells "QUIET!!!!!" Everyone got real scared, and stayed quiet for a few seconds, then went back to their conversations. I don't know who the guy was, or what he was doing there (perhaps just released from the psych floor?...)

quote:
Originally posted by GatoRx:

It scared the crap out of me when it happened, but its a funny story to tell in hindsight. icon_biggrin.gif

I was at a cache site in my area that is a small skinny park. It has a paved trail that borders a major road and a wooded area. The wooded area is sandwiched between the paved trail and a golf course.

I had taken way to long to find the cache and had to get out of town. It was getting dark when I came rambling down a hill towards the trail. I burst out of the woods with my GPS in hand. Right in front of me was a young slim lady with bags of stuff from the store. I scared her half to death. She jumped back and went running down the sidewalk. icon_eek.gif

I think she thought I was going to attack and rape her. I didn't even know she was there until I heard her gasp. She was gone before I could say I was sorry. I laughed really hard about it later but I'm sure she didn't think it was too funny.

beatnik

quote:
Originally posted by GatoRx:

It scared the crap out of me when it happened, but its a funny story to tell in hindsight. icon_biggrin.gif

I was at a cache site in my area that is a small skinny park. It has a paved trail that borders a major road and a wooded area. The wooded area is sandwiched between the paved trail and a golf course.

I had taken way to long to find the cache and had to get out of town. It was getting dark when I came rambling down a hill towards the trail. I burst out of the woods with my GPS in hand. Right in front of me was a young slim lady with bags of stuff from the store. I scared her half to death. She jumped back and went running down the sidewalk. icon_eek.gif

I think she thought I was going to attack and rape her. I didn't even know she was there until I heard her gasp. She was gone before I could say I was sorry. I laughed really hard about it later but I'm sure she didn't think it was too funny.

beatnik

weirdos in the park eh?

i was hunting a cache in very well foliated park and i kept running into the same guy, a dude in office clothing. i would stare and he would walk off. i would turn a corner and there he was again. never to close but within sight. considering his size and the distance he was maintaining i figured he was just a lost bakeract. i grabbed my multitool and extracted the blade while out of his site and continued in my search. i found the cache, signed the log and hauled butt out of there. i later found out that theres a funny farm across the street.

another weirdo story is a cache at a public very open park that i went to that was full of kids under the influence on chemical substances and other who couldnt afford a motel room. they should have named it "toke and poke" park!

URBO

icon_eek.gif

weirdos in the park eh?

i was hunting a cache in very well foliated park and i kept running into the same guy, a dude in office clothing. i would stare and he would walk off. i would turn a corner and there he was again. never to close but within sight. considering his size and the distance he was maintaining i figured he was just a lost bakeract. i grabbed my multitool and extracted the blade while out of his site and continued in my search. i found the cache, signed the log and hauled butt out of there. i later found out that theres a funny farm across the street.

another weirdo story is a cache at a public very open park that i went to that was full of kids under the influence on chemical substances and other who couldnt afford a motel room. they should have named it "toke and poke" park!

URBO

icon_eek.gif

Recently I was going to check on one of my caches that is in a secluded spot in a local wetlands park. There are benches in the area of the cache. When my wife and I walked up to the cache, there was a couple sitting on the bench, who looked like they were trying to avoid attention.(this was around lunchtime on a weekday) As not to tip off the location, we walked on by. We waited a half hour, and went back, and they were still there. We had other things to do that day, so we came back the next day, and there on the bench was a used condom, with the wrapper nearby. I figure we almost interrupted someone's "afternoon delight".

Reddfrogg

quote:
Originally posted by Reddfrogg:

..., so we came back the next day, and there on the bench was a used condom, with the wrapper nearby. I figure we almost interrupted someone's "afternoon delight".

Reddfrogg

So did you "cache in, trash out?"

Alan

I had a similar thing happen to be about 15 years ago while bow hunting. I walked up to a couple, just after the fact. Boy, were the surprised to see me all in camo with face paint. I explained why they shouldn’t be doing, what the were doing during hunting season. After they left, I heard a crashing in the woods, another bow hunter come out of the woods all in camo, with binoculars. I remembering him saying, I can’t hunt any more today, got to go home to the wife . . .