using a tablet for geocaching

You could - assuming it has GPS capability and with the right APP..... to get you started anyway.

But like Walts mentioned. It's not something you'd want to do on a regular basis just for the sake of battery usage and/or possible damage to the tablet. But - that's for you to decide.

I guess the point being...GET OUT AND GEOCACHE no matter what you have....

Edited by Lieblweb
Has anyone done any geocaching with any tablet?

Mine Nexus 7 is wifi only, but it's fine for a nearby urban cache. Load the cache page and map, and go. That's faster than loading the Garmin, for one cache. Or load a Pocket Query and try to avoid the wifi features of the Apps (since you're less likely to be at Hotspots while caching). The Nexus 7's display is tough to see in sunlight, and as Walts Hunting mentioned, it's rather cumbersome for caching. But it's OK.

Edited by kunarion

We also use a Nexus 7 for Geocaching. Mainly for OS maps, and choosing which caches to go for. When on the trail we use an Etrex30. As others have said tablets are large and more fragile than GPSr's.

I also use the Nexus with a GPS averaging app to hide caches, as I have found it more consistent and accurate than the Etrex.

Most don't. Battery life poor. To easy to damage. To large to handle easily. Ok for quick urban find but really not good for hiking and biking. This subject comes up,pretty often.

We said the same thing about first automotive GPS's, and then later Smartphones, but no one listened in either case. :laughing:

For those who have used them a few times, I assume you could still use the GPS capabilities, without having a data connection? (not unlike a smartphone).

There's a certain comfort to using a "real" gps unit. They are "ruggedized" (is that a word?), water resistant, if not water proof, easier to carry, most likely a better gps receiver/chipset.

You may not understand these comforts yet, but the first time you set your tablet on a stump while you reach down to grab the tupperware, and your tablet goes crashing to the ground, you will, or the first time you are stepping over a small creek, and you lose balance and drop it in the water, you will, or you're out and it starts raining while you're following the waypoint or trail back to your car, you will.

For those who have used them a few times, I assume you could still use the GPS capabilities, without having a data connection? (not unlike a smartphone).

In most cases, yes, the gps itself still works fine (although takes a lot longer to acquire signal, since they are setup to use the cell towers to "cheat"). What breaks is any mapping (maps are rarely stored on the unit, usually sucked down over data connection), and some apps will refuse to even start (this probably doesn't apply to most geocaching apps).

If I'm not mistaken, even gc's own android and iphone apps are tied to a data connection for getting cache info, in either case, they don't have built in mapping, although once caches are cached, they will continue to work.

but if I'm not mistaken, only the ten-inchers have GPS.

You're mistaken :anitongue:. I have an Acer A500 (10 inch screen) and Asus Nexus 7 (7 inch screen), and both have GPS. I've hunted caches with both, and they're OK for one quick local cache.

With a data connection, some kind of portable wifi hotspot device, a tablet might be very handy for paperless data, new cache listings, and the ability to surf the web for info. ...while in range of a data signal...

Edited by kunarion

You're mistaken :anitongue:. I have an Acer A500 (10 inch screen) and Asus Nexus 7 (7 inch screen), and both have GPS. I've hunted caches with both, and they're OK for one quick local cache.

With a data connection, some kind of portable wifi hotspot device, a tablet might be very handy for paperless data, new cache listings, and the ability to surf the web for info. ...while in range of a data signal...

Interesting idea. There's a Mifi app that'll run on a jailbroken iPhone that converts a cell signal into a wifi hotspot. Launch the app, then use a tablet for data/map access. Personally, I wouldn't take it far from a vehicle or someplace where I was sitting down. I'd be afraid dropping the tablet and shattering the screen or worse.

I have a first generation iPad that I've taken geocaching, just to do side by side comparisons regarding accuracy. I still bring it along to test new Wherigo caches, along with my Oregon and my Android phone. But as so many have mentioned, at about a bajillion dollars apiece, I don't like to take it outdoors.

Interesting idea. There's a Mifi app that'll run on a jailbroken iPhone that converts a cell signal into a wifi hotspot. Launch the app, then use a tablet for data/map access. Personally, I wouldn't take it far from a vehicle or someplace where I was sitting down. I'd be afraid dropping the tablet and shattering the screen or worse.

Almost all android phones do that natively now

Hi all,

My ASUS tablet has GPS capabilities. Has anyone done any geocaching with any tablet?

Thanks,

Jim

I always carry it with me and my phone so I have access to the net. I use it in the field if I'm stuck to read logs and look at photos its easier to do it on here depends if I can get the net where I am:p. I'll take pictures with it and video. I got the app on it and sometimes use it for geocaching. but in the end using the Magellan GPS is way easier unless your in urban areas than a tablets OK I suppose kinda like a big smart phone battery life lasts me long time. Turn the brightness all the way down bam hours of life

Edited by Off Grid

Most don't. Battery life poor. To easy to damage. To large to handle easily. Ok for quick urban find but really not good for hiking and biking. This subject comes up,pretty often.

There's a case you can buy that's really good for them

Edited by Off Grid

There's a certain comfort to using a "real" gps unit. They are "ruggedized" (is that a word?), water resistant, if not water proof, easier to carry, most likely a better gps receiver/chipset.

You may not understand these comforts yet, but the first time you set your tablet on a stump while you reach down to grab the tupperware, and your tablet goes crashing to the ground, you will, or the first time you are stepping over a small creek, and you lose balance and drop it in the water, you will, or you're out and it starts raining while you're following the waypoint or trail back to your car, you will.

I carry my tablet all the time over creeks down hills. Bears in front of us and had to back away I place it down on my bag and have never knocked it over so I guess it all depends on the person. I climb up a mountain near steep cliffs never drop it heck i slip and slide with in my bag. and there's an otter box

http://m.otterbox.com/Google-Nexus-7-Defender-Series-case/asu2-nexus-7,default,pd.html

A friend of dad drop a nexus well biking down the road and it hit three times still works nothing wrong little scratch.

I have an asus FT300T tablet. I use it all the time for caching! I use an app called cachesense, it allows me to find both geocache, and the "M" word things from the same app. I have a MIFI unit that allows connection to the internet, to log my finds.

I agree it is large, cumbersome, and somewhat fragile. With a little care though I get along just fine, in town and in the field. I have noticed the compas is not always the most accurate, so I carry my Garmin as well.

I carry my tablet all the time over creeks down hills. Bears in front of us and had to back away I place it down on my bag and have never knocked it over so I guess it all depends on the person. I climb up a mountain near steep cliffs never drop it heck i slip and slide with in my bag. and there's an otter box

http://m.otterbox.co...default,pd.html

A friend of dad drop a nexus well biking down the road and it hit three times still works nothing wrong little scratch.

The problem with anecdotes like this is like saying that I've ridden a motorcycle for many years and never crashed so I don't need a helmut. The fact that you (or anyone else) has managed to use a tablet in the wild without an incident is no consolation to the person that *did* drop their $800 iPad while stepping over a small creek and had it ruined.

Almost all android phones do that natively now

Thanks for the pointer. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy 3 and we've also got a wifi only tablet. I'm going to give it a try to see how it works. We've got a long drive down to Tennessee planned in August and with the phone plugged into a cigarette lighter charger and the mifi enabled the tablet would work nice for navigation. I'll continue to use my Oregon though when I get out of the vehicle to find a cache.

http://m.otterbox.co...default,pd.html

The problem with anecdotes like this is like saying that I've ridden a motorcycle for many years and never crashed so I don't need a helmut. The fact that you (or anyone else) has managed to use a tablet in the wild without an incident is no consolation to the person that *did* drop their $800 iPad while stepping over a small creek and had it ruined.

I said it all depends on the person lol