Garmin Etrex 20 questions

captainpiche

I'm pretty sure I want to buy the etrex 20. I have some questions. I will ONLY be using it for geocaching.

1. If I get a premium membership, will I be able to download several caches at a time? how?

2. What about maps? it comes with a basemap which I've heard is terrible. I have see a couple places I can download free maps. How do I do this? Do I need an SD card?

3. WHy would I need an SD card?

4. Once I am using maps, will the map show all the caches for my current location om the map?

Please help! REALLY want to buy my new GPS!!!

1] Pocket Queries. You can run up to five PQ's per day, each of which can provide you with up to 1,000 caches per query.

This is a Premium Member only perk.

2] Mapping should be put onto a card. It isn't absolutely necessary, but it allows the GPSr to function more efficiently.

Each download site will have its own directions, follow their directions for downloading.

3] Refer to #2. Utilizing all of a (most any) electronic device's memory is an efficient way of slowing its function. Using a card allows for the majority of the unit memory to be dedicated to function/performance.

You don't have to use a card, but at some point in time, you will wish you did!

4] If you loaded the caches into the unit, they will show. The map is an overlay, the GPSr inserts the caches (waypoints) at the coordinates as it (the map) shows on the screen.

The caches are not on the map, they are in the unit (or file on the card -- separate from the maps file).

Once you have mastered all of this... you should then delve into "Field Notes". Marking the cache as Found, Not Found, Note, etc., you can upload those field notes directly to geocaching.com. There, you can post them as is, or edit each into a full blown (wordy) log before posting. That way, you never mis-log caches (transposition of logs) after a full day or week of caching. Each is correct, and the date is also correct.

That, coupled with direct loading of the unit... is the paperless feature. Never having to print or write cache info, not having to write (hand-written) notes in the field, no printing or wasting paper at all. You really should though, still sign the cache log.

Clear as mud, right? Really, it is easy with a little practice.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Let me see if I can add a little to the last answer.

Very infrequently the GPS will balk and not want to load properly, or freeze on a particular cache. If the happens in the field, you can remove the card, reboot, then reinsert the card and reboot again and everything will work fine. If you don't use the card, you don't have the ability to remove the file causing the trouble until you get back home. The SD card is cheap insurance.

Edited by GeoTrekker26

Very infrequently the GPS will balk and not want to load properly, or freeze on a particular cache. If the happens in the field, you can remove the card, reboot, then reinsert the card and reboot again and everything will work fine. If you don't use the card, you don't have the ability to remove the file causing the trouble until you get back home. The SD card is cheap insurance.

Using an SD card has saved me on several occasions over the last year or so, including last Friday morning, when my eTrex 20 came up with the "No Geocaches Found" message.

Using an SD card has saved me on several occasions over the last year or so, including last Friday morning, when my eTrex 20 came up with the "No Geocaches Found" message.

Happy to know I am not the only one this happens to.

jusy brought my etrex 20 and paid for map card how do i get pocket queries to work -i think i have download them and extracted them to gps file but now what do

Plug your Garmin into your computer and open it up like you would a usb drive - so you can see the folders inside. Inside the "Garmin" folder is a "GPX" folder. Take the two GPX files that you unzipped from your pocket query and drag and drop them into the GPX folder.