new and want to put a cache on farm

matt485

Hello everyone.

I my self do not gecache but some of our very close friends do.We have a unique farm as far as terrain and hiding spots go,plus a great view.I put my gps location on my profile page ,you will see our home is half a kilometer from the road.I was thinking on doing a multiple site geocache with clues that lead to next location and then finally to were you find the box.The goal is to try and figure out the hidden clues I put in the first location and try to find the box without having to go to the next spot that would have more clues.In other words,when a person comes to first spot,there will be a letter with a very short story,the story has clues to were the finale cache is .But if you need more clues i will have directions to the next location,in that location the clues get easier ,agian,if that does not help,go to next location based on instructions.The challange is to see if you can locate the exact location of the last cache with the clues in the first cache,if not move to next cache,You will be traveling along a long corn field up a pine forest full of stones called eraditcs left by galciers,plus many other unique features not seen elsewere.If anyone has anyinput into helping me create an amazing cache search,please feel free to add some input.Our goal is to allow people to see all the beauty on our property and mabe meet some amzing folks.I do want this to challange you,as you have a gps in your hand,it,s whats on your shoulders I want to see working.

Sounds like fun!

You could list this as a Multi giving the coordinates of the first stage which holds the instructions for the second, which holds the instructions for the third and so on.

Since you aren't a Geocacher yourself, I suggest working closely with your friends that Geocache so they can help assure your cache meets the guidelines set by Groundspeak and that your containers are suitable.

"Listing Guidelines for All Geocaches

Technical Requirements

Listings must contain accurate GPS coordinates.

You must visit the cache location and obtain the coordinates with a GPS device. GPS usage is an integral and essential element of both hiding and seeking caches and must be demonstrated for all cache submissions. Projecting waypoints from a specific location already defined by set of coordinates is permissible. For geocaches that include additional waypoints see the guidelines specific to those cache types."

"Additional Listing Guidelines for Specific Geocache Types. Not all geocache types have additional guidelines, and guidelines that cover all geocaches still apply. For all cache types that have multiple stages, physical elements (tags, containers, or any physical addition to the location) must be added to the listing as Additional Waypoints.

Traditional Caches

Multi-Caches

The coordinates posted at the top of the cache listing are for the first stage of a multi-cache. Provide the coordinates of all subsequent stages of the multi-cache by using the Additional Waypoints feature. If you do not want the coordinates for the additional stages displayed to the public, mark them as "hidden." Only the cache owner, reviewers and Groundspeak lackeys can view hidden coordinates.

"

Thanks MDplayers

I just went to the area were we post a new cache,I see what you mean by useing mulitple coordinates.From what I read thought,the actual gps coordinates will not be visable to a geocacher ,they must still find the last location based on clues and waypoints.

I do have steel boxes I will use for all locations,plus as a final request I was going to add way point to were a wildlife camera I have set up would take there picture,this of course would be a option and they would have to actually go to this specific waypoint in order for camera to see them and cross the infared beam to take picture.

. Good point about asking our friends who do this,I,ll invite them out for a walkabout and show them my idea.

Thanks

Matt

Thanks MDplayers

I just went to the area were we post a new cache,I see what you mean by useing mulitple coordinates.From what I read thought,the actual gps coordinates will not be visable to a geocacher ,they must still find the last location based on clues and waypoints.

I do have steel boxes I will use for all locations,plus as a final request I was going to add way point to were a wildlife camera I have set up would take there picture,this of course would be a option and they would have to actually go to this specific waypoint in order for camera to see them and cross the infared beam to take picture.

. Good point about asking our friends who do this,I,ll invite them out for a walkabout and show them my idea.

Thanks

Matt

Regarding the sentence I've bolded... only the first stage would have to have the coordinates visible to geocachers. The coordinates of the intermediate and last stage can be hidden from view allowing you to use the stories and instructions you mentioned in your original post to lead the cachers around from that known (because of the coordinates) starting point to your final box where the logbook is.

Steel boxes?! I hope they are ammo cans! We love ammo cans. Weather resistant and sturdy to a fault.

Keep working on this. I wish I lived close by so I could do this when you get it finished.

Thanks everyone for such positive input!

Our farm is a total of 80 acres,it has 3 of the ancient shorelines on it when the great lakes were much larger.As you go into the property it rises like a sea floor will,and it does this 3 times were each shore line was,therfore we have 3 deifferent types of terain with it,s own distinct rock,at the highest point is were we have large Eradics left by the Glaciers when they reteated,but they are now in big pine forest.These massive stones I am going to use as itermediate locations,Iam going to take your advice Incredibles and have this tested out,very good point.And yes I have many military boxes I will employ for this.

I do have some questions about the devices people will use thought.As for my self I am trained at orientiering with a compass ,watch,and pen and paper,This I know how to do very well.Will the instrument people are using have a built in compass?This is important as I will leave a bearing and distance instruction in some caches.If they don,t have a compass I was going to put one in the first box and ask they put it back,I,m sure 99.9 percent of people will return it and am prepared to replace it from time to time ,i don,t have a issue with that.Also,How would I let people know before they come out that this one is going to take some time and thinking to find and have proper attire on,like hiking boots, insect repleant,pen and paper and that it may be a more aggresive course than what they are used to.I,m not saying you need to be in the military to do this,but I will tap into some major thinking and hunting type skills.Would it also be advisable for me to leave my email so people can let me know what they thought of the expierience and any changes to apply.My wife and I have no issue at all with meeting new people and sharing our property so others can enjoy it as we have.I was also thinking on advise people to do the search around dinner time because you may want to hang around a see the sunset from our top field ,we have chairs there were my wife and i go up to see it.I also di invite 3 cachers out last night,I showed them my prelimanary writings and maps so far,I must say they wents sorta nuts,they were pumped,I will keep everyone posted as I continue this planning.Can I post pictures on this site to show everyone?

Thanks Matt

Can I come? This sounds awesome. :D

Yes, you can post photos. You would need to upload them to a site like flickr, then copy and paste the image locations into your post..

I wouldn't worry about supplying people with a compass, most GPSs have them. You may want to warn people ahead of time that they will know how to follow a bearing and direction, so they can look up how in case they don't know already.

Yes, it's good to advise people what to bring. It is helpful to describe the terrain and approximately how long they will be hiking.

I wouldn't post your email on the cache page. If they want to email you, as the cache owner, they would be able to click on your geo-name and email you that way without you explicitly giving your email.

When they log a 'Find', they will write about their experience and an email will be automatically sent to you.

A very cool cache, this will be alot of fun for both you and your local cachers.

This sounds like a wonderful idea and should make a great Geocache. May I suggest that you go with your caching friends and find a couple of geocaches? The insight you will get will help you with understanding a lot of how the game is played.

Good luck. :D