Android/Apple App - Need wi-fi connection all the time?

ebeth02

Does the both the android and apple geocache app retain the geocache information when off-line (away from Wi-Fi)? For example, if I load the app on an iPod or Android tablet and pick some caches to look for later will the information on still be in the app when out away from Wi-Fi? I'm looking to find a way to get away from printing paper copies of the cache info, but like to have it available when looking. I will still use a standard GPS to find. I don't have a smart phone I can use. Thank you

Does the both the android and apple geocache app retain the geocache information when off-line (away from Wi-Fi)? For example, if I load the app on an iPod or Android tablet and pick some caches to look for later will the information on still be in the app when out away from Wi-Fi? I'm looking to find a way to get away from printing paper copies of the cache info, but like to have it available when looking. I will still use a standard GPS to find. I don't have a smart phone I can use. Thank you

The simple answer is yes. The more in depth answer is...it depends on if you are a premium member or not. If you are, thru the geocaching app you can save a pocket query and you can open it without internet connection. If you are not a premium member, I am not sure why you arent, but to each their own. For the android tablet you can download a program called c:geo. This is totally free, and it has capabilities of saving offline maps and all of the information about the cache.

The Daymudes

I'm not a tablet user...so bear with me (I have phones instead)

Yes...Wifi needed for tablets. Create a pocket query and download that into your tablet via WIFI. The PQ will be IN the tablet and you can view later without wifi.

You mentioned you have a regular GPS? What type of GPS? Most GPS's will have all/some information when you load the GPS with geocaches - no tablet needed (theoretically). Again...using Pocket Queries to put the geocaches into your GPS.

Caches can be stored as Basic member in the iOS app in lists while wifi is available, including major data, pictures if selected, and maps.

I cannot guarantee it's complete (using iPhone with mobile internet access), but the 'Go to cache' function to guide the way should work fine all the time.

Hope this helps a bit

Michael

Thank you all for the replies. I have a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx. Part of the reason I like to have all the text about a cache is to read it to the kids when we are searching. Often times the descriptions have history of the area and its a great way to teach the kids. We have both an iPod and ASUS Memo Pad, both of which don't have GPS functionality or cell coverage. Sounds like this will work perfectly for not printing all those papers. Thanks again!