Sick of using my Iphone for GPS!

I downloaded the geocaching app a while ago and while it has many great features that I really like, the GPS on my phone is ALWAYS off by at least 30 feet.

So i'm wondering, is there a receiver anyone would suggest? All I really need is a bare bones, no thrills GPS that will give me more accurate location. Just something that I can put coordinates into and have better accuracy.

I dont need anything else in the gps as my phone has all the other features I could ask for. I am looking to spend under $100 as all I need is the barebones receiver.

Any suggestions?

Also, I would need the ability to input the coordinates on the go rather than download them if possible. (I honestly dont know if this is standard or not)

So far I have seen most people suggest the eTrex H

Edited by Sassysnorlax

Also, I would need the ability to input the coordinates on the go rather than download them if possible. (I honestly dont know if this is standard or not)

What do you mean by this? Do you mean the ability to update in the field while caching? No GPS that I know of has the ability to interface "on the fly" with the internet.

What do you mean by this? Do you mean the ability to update in the field while caching? No GPS that I know of has the ability to interface "on the fly" with the internet.

I mean to say that I would use my phone to get the cache data and then be able to put where I need to go in the GPSR. Does that make sense? Do you typically have to load all the info into the GPSR by computer?

As others have suggested, any of the H-class eTrex units (there are four or five) would suffice and do exactly what you want. It is not necessary to load via computer hook-up.

Hand-entering of coordinates is not difficult, but it is a somewhat "bulky" button-pushing process when you do a lot of them.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I've never had any issue with accuracy using only my iPhone - but often I do have to wait a while for it to 'settle'. Also you might be interested in this discussion about inputting coordinates on your iPhone (useful for Waymarking/multicaches etc) - I wanted to know how to do it but didn't want to buy a GPS especially for it, and it seems you don't have to!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=310337&st=0&p=5242095&hl=input%20coordinates%20iphone&fromsearch=1entry5242095

Edited by MsHGH

Rent or lend a gps first, as bad as it seems now, once used to caching with a phone (apart from the 30 feet) caching with a gps is TOTALLY different and you will mis al kind of things your'e used to right now.

However the 30 feet isn't good, todays phones are accurate as a dedicated gps.

Lifetime of a gps on this moment is about 3 years, then a complete new generation pops up, for one you will need a gps with SD and a large memory due to the ever increasing size of maps on the moment, making the Etrex H not what you want.

There are many threads here about 'what gps'

What iPhone are you using? I've been using the 5, and it's working pretty well so far. I've researched the GPS units a bit, and found that the halfway decent ones are expensive, there are extra costs (batteries, maps, etc) and to top it off, the accuracy (from what I've read) is still about the same as a modern smartphone. I think the Geocaching app is really well done, and finding an inexpensive GPS that that beat all those features might be tough. Good luck!

I downloaded the geocaching app a while ago and while it has many great features that I really like, the GPS on my phone is ALWAYS off by at least 30 feet.

So i'm wondering, is there a receiver anyone would suggest? All I really need is a bare bones, no thrills GPS that will give me more accurate location. Just something that I can put coordinates into and have better accuracy.

I dont need anything else in the gps as my phone has all the other features I could ask for. I am looking to spend under $100 as all I need is the barebones receiver.

Any suggestions?

Bluetooth GPS that pairs to the phone. Garmin GLO. That fixes the only problem you have and you keep all of the good phone features.

Any suggestions?

Bluetooth GPS that pairs to the phone. Garmin GLO. That fixes the only problem you have and you keep all of the good phone features.

Isn't the GLO just designed to pick up GLONASS as well as GPS? From what I've read, iPhone4 and 5 already have GLONASS capability.

Any suggestions?

Isn't the GLO just designed to pick up GLONASS as well as GPS? From what I've read, iPhone4 and 5 already have GLONASS capability.

It has a better antenna in it.

It will be much more accurate. The phones are not really intended to be more accurate than needed for driving.

Woow! Thank you!

I have the same problem with my iphone 4 s! When I get close it switches directions totally.I also had the thoughts of getting a gps for putting the coordinates into. I like the iphone app.

The Garmin GLO seems like a better option to make the iphone more accurate! :)

The iphones are great.... but... Once you buy a nice quality handheld GPS, you'll never want to use the phone again. They're just too dadgum slow to settle down.

We've used iphone 4 and currently iphone 5 and have two handhelds. The only time we use our phone to actually search for a cache, is for FTF's or if the cache isn't in the GPS since the last time we loaded it with PQ's.

Anytime I have to use the phone, its frustrating.... because I know its like a child who can't sit still for longer than 5 seconds.

I have a 4S and have zero problems with accuracy (except in heavily treed or building echo areas). But I live at sea level with lots of open spaces so maybe that helps. I cache with a friend with an Android phone and her accuracy seems to be about the same.

When I have settling problems, I use the IGCT pro app and it seems to give me more accurate coordinates. But I've done that maybe 2/500 times.

The reasons for switching to a dedicated GPSr is not for accuracy or reliability. Phones are every bit as good in that respect. But GPS's have phones beat in two cases: durability and batteries. Most of the handhelds out there are waterproof and shock proof. If you drop them, they're not likely to break easily. Drop them in water, they'll continue to function just fine. Batteries died? Just replace them in the field. Can't say the same for a smartphone. For that reason, they're preferred for caching or simply hiking in the backcountry where those issues become important. Caching around town is fine for a phone. In fact, the phones have the advantage of accessing the geocaching.com database on the fly. You can even download off-line maps for hiking when you're not in service. But again, you'll drain your battery quickly which is not that useful when you're out for hours or even days. So, think about your caching style and then decide whether you need to move away from using your phone as your primary device.

The reasons for switching to a dedicated GPSr is not for accuracy or reliability. Phones are every bit as good in that respect. But GPS's have phones beat in two cases: durability and batteries. Most of the handhelds out there are waterproof and shock proof. If you drop them, they're not likely to break easily. Drop them in water, they'll continue to function just fine. Batteries died? Just replace them in the field. Can't say the same for a smartphone. For that reason, they're preferred for caching or simply hiking in the backcountry where those issues become important. Caching around town is fine for a phone. In fact, the phones have the advantage of accessing the geocaching.com database on the fly. You can even download off-line maps for hiking when you're not in service. But again, you'll drain your battery quickly which is not that useful when you're out for hours or even days. So, think about your caching style and then decide whether you need to move away from using your phone as your primary device.

Totally agree. I've thought about buying a nice garmin to use instead of my iPhone, but I would really miss the geocaching app. I like that my phone has satellite maps. The same feature on a garmin requires a subscription. Even topo maps are pricey. That's pretty lame. With my phone, I can find multiple caches on the fly and even log them from the site. Like you said, battery life sucks, but I've never been "in the field" long enough for it to become an issue. I can hop back in my jeep and charge my phone while driving to another cache.

If I could run the geocaching app on a garmin, I'd go out and buy one tomorrow.

The reasons for switching to a dedicated GPSr is not for accuracy or reliability. Phones are every bit as good in that respect. But GPS's have phones beat in two cases: durability and batteries. Most of the handhelds out there are waterproof and shock proof. If you drop them, they're not

likely to break easily. Drop them in water, they'll continue to function just fine. Batteries died? Just replace them in the field. Can't say the same for a smartphone. For that reason, they're preferred for caching or simply hiking in the backcountry where those issues become important.

Caching around town is fine for a phone. In fact, the phones have the advantage of accessing the geocaching.com database on the fly. You can even download off-line maps for hiking when you're not in service. But again, you'll drain your battery quickly which is not that useful when you're out

for hours or even days. So, think about your caching style and then decide whether you need to move away from using your phone as your primary device.

Totally agree. I've thought about buying a nice garmin to use instead of my iPhone, but I would really miss the geocaching app. I like that my phone has satellite maps.

The same feature on a garmin requires a subscription. Even topo maps are pricey. That's pretty lame. With my phone, I can find multiple caches on the fly and even log them from the site. Like you said, battery life sucks, but I've never been "in the field" long enough for it to become an issue. I can hop back in my jeep and charge my phone while driving to another cache.

If I could run the geocaching app on a garmin, I'd go out and buy one tomorrow.

I use a garmin vista h as well as an iPhone. You can input the coordinates on the go, sometimes useful if you have a friend without a GPSR.

I have an extra for sale If your interested. Perfect condition. Just pm me.

I've only ever used an iPhone - from 3GS to 4S, and I expect to upgrade to the next 5. Accuracy is not a concern when you change your style to realize that no device is guaranteed to put you on the cache spot, and every device to varying degrees needs care to assure as accurate a location as possible. If searching, get near gz and hone that geosense. If placing, take your time and use various strategies to verify that your coordinates are as accurate as you can make them - never rush.

For durability, I always take care of my expensive equipment. Even so, I've dropped my 4S, the back has a nice 'broken-glass' appearance :P but still work 100%. I dropped my first 3GS in a pond, and lost it. Dropped my 2nd 3GS in a pond, and retrieved it (having learned) and let it dry properly, and it continued to work flawlessly until I upgrade to the 4S. I have not dropped that in water (only on the sidewalk where the back shattered :P )

Ok so this isn't sounding glowing... BUT, while accidents can happen, these things aren't delicate flowers to which nothing physical or remotely bumpy can happen or it falls apart. It's always a good idea to have some form of protection, but if it was naturally tough, I'd still be wary of doing something that would damage it. Durability of the device was never a concern for me (I also don't carry my device around my neck on a lanyard ;) )

For battery, you can quickly and cheaply get an external pack that takes AA's, so you can share batteries with whatever other AA device you use. No more worries. Smartphones do a LOT more than just GPS reporting, so their battery life is naturally shorter. But like durability, you just be aware of what your device can handle, and prepare accordingly.

For durability, I always take care of my expensive equipment. Even so, I've dropped my 4S, the back has a nice 'broken-glass' appearance :P but still work 100%. I dropped my first 3GS in a pond, and lost it. Dropped my 2nd 3GS in a pond, and retrieved it (having learned) and let it dry properly, and it continued to work flawlessly until I upgrade to the 4S. I have not dropped that in water (only on the sidewalk where the back shattered :P )

Contrast that with a nice Garmin unit. I've dropped my 450T many times - no cracked screen or casing. I've taken it boating and fishing; it's been dunked under water many times - Still functioning as new. It's got a few minor scratches and one small nick on the screen due to my own negligence of leaving it on my backpack when I take my pack off and the GPS ends up on the ground face down. Yet, it still works perfectly, screen's still readable too.

As far as maps go, there's a treasure trove of free topographic and routable road maps for Garmin devices (the selection isn't quite as big for other brands), but a base map isn't a requirement for GPS navigation either.

These days, I primarily use the iphone 5 for caching. It has always taken me where I need to go and when comparing it to my handheld, is usually within a few feet. But there are situations when a handheld gpsr is great. We are preparing for a vacation in Scotland and it will be a lot handier to use the handheld for routing, although there are apps that support offline maps.

I once dropped my gpsr on a trail and smashed the front screen (which was protected by a screen cover). I have dropped my iphone on the trail without incident, although I use a case that is designed to handle rougher treatment. In the old days my Treo had to be fished out of a muddy pond -- the only thing I could save was my sim card. So perhaps some luck is involved with both.

But a handheld and the phone can make a great combination. If I am going to be out on a trail all day, I load up the pocket queries and take both. The gpsr is strong and it is easier to change the batteries on it than to rery on an external iphone battery pack. I also really like the way that caches are displayed on Geosphere, so I always use that if I need to read a longer description. I also can filter and group caches so it acts as my primary database (particularly for completed puzzles or challenges). If traveling, it is easy to export a gpx file from the phone to the gpsr (even easier with the help of an additional gadget that does not require a computer to transfer the files).

So if you are looking for something other than your phone, I would try out the feel of different gpsr units. One that supports gpx files (as most current versions do) probably offers more flexibility. Go to a store where you can see if a unit might suit you. Perhaps you would even be lucky and could get a used unit at a great price on ebay.

Edited by geodarts

Contrast that with a nice Garmin unit. I've dropped my 450T many times - no cracked screen or casing. I've taken it boating and fishing; it's been dunked under water many times - Still functioning as new. It's got a few minor scratches and one small nick on the screen due to my own negligence of leaving it on my backpack when I take my pack off and the GPS ends up on the ground face down. Yet, it still works perfectly, screen's still readable too.

You conveniently left out my following paragraph which was qualification and reasoning as to why your response paragraph really is irrelevant (in my case, at least ;) )

In my opinion, an external pack 'becomes' a part of the device, so whether I'm changing batteries in one single device, or in the attached accessory, it doesn't matter; and battery use is no longer an issue. In my opinion, a case that protects your device to whatever degree you feel it needs protecting (above and beyond, whether it is natively heavier duty or not) is always a good idea; and in my own case, my phone has proven its durability sufficiently, and I've taken and used it everywhere I have cached (including caves, over water, in the wilderness, and in desert, with and without data signal, and varying degrees of GPS coverage and strengths). Though just haven't been overseas yet :P

Nothing and no one has given me a good reason (yet, at least) to make the purchase of and/or switch to a dedicated GPS device.

To me, the 'disadvantages' (according to those used to a dedicated handheld) are far outweighed by the benefit (uses beyond simply gps capabilities) of my iPhone 4S and using one device.

** BUT, I absolutely agree that the best possible toolset for geocaching, to cover any potential issues or problems one might have, assuming money is of no concern, would be a high end GPSr and a mid- to high-end smartphone -- along with all the accessories listed above.

Otherwise, use what works for you. :anibad:

I get even more convinced that for my purpose the iphone 4S is great! Except from the accuracy... Anyone else tried the Garmin GLO? Does it improve the accuracy?

I have a GLO and a 4S. It improves accuracy in bad conditions. It does have a bit of static filtering, so can stick in a location a bit. This makes it a bit harder to use for caching than a dedicated handheld.