Maps not working

Stompy

I'm having problems with the maps too, At first averything seems fine but as soon as i try to move the map or zoom on it tha Map starts flashing and won't work again. Have this problem on different computers. All using IExplorer and Windows7 and on my ipad using safari ( no not the app just normal internet with safari).

Removed cookies and problems stays. Tried several days now.

Can you help?

What make of router do you have?

I now know why tracert was vanishing. It's because I ran it as a direct command in the run box rather than opening a CMD window. Opening a CMD window works. Don't know what tracert results mean though...

I too have a Belkin router. I tried to disable the firewall and it simply hung, then gives me a page saying that, "The server sent no data". However, despite this message it actually has disabled the firewall, and "lo and behold" the maps are now working!

The question is, should I now enable the router firewall again? It seems to me that it's a problem with the updates to the geocaching.com website, and not a problem with the router. Logically there is something about the website that the firewall doesn't like?

I agree, I'm reasonably happy leaving my firewall off the router because I have a software firewall on all my machines but you could always turn it off and on as you need to use the maps until the Lacky's find out what is causing the issue.

I now know why tracert was vanishing. It's because I ran it as a direct command in the run box rather than opening a CMD window. Opening a CMD window works. Don't know what tracert results mean though...

I too have a Belkin router. I tried to disable the firewall and it simply hung, then gives me a page saying that, "The server sent no data". However, despite this message it actually has disabled the firewall, and "lo and behold" the maps are now working!

The question is, should I now enable the router firewall again? It seems to me that it's a problem with the updates to the geocaching.com website, and not a problem with the router. Logically there is something about the website that the firewall doesn't like?

I agree, I'm reasonably happy leaving my firewall off the router because I have a software firewall on all my machines but you could always turn it off and on as you need to use the maps until the Lacky's find out what is causing the issue.

Further thought, check your router has the latest version of the firmware. Unfortunately mine is an old model and I can't get it to check the latest version so i have just emailed Belkin as the have a life long guarantee against defects and workmanship, I don't know how I will stand with this but worth a try.

Hi,

Like yours it's an older Belkin, and for mine there are no software updates to be had. Like my PVR it's gone past the time where updates are available. With respect to e-mailing them, Belkin may argue that the router wasn't designed for newer software or web browsers, and that is is performing within spec, but it's worth a try anyway. Let me know how you get on!

Back to caching for me. I hadn't realised just how vital having the maps was.

Not working for me either. It has been days now. I cant't even get the the Field Notes. I have IE9 and Chrome running on Windows Vista Home Premium. I tried the tracert test and got this

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]

Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

tracert tiles.geocaching.com

Tracing route to www.geocaching.com [66.150.167.189]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms . [192.168.2.1]

2 27 ms 26 ms 27 ms host-89-242-48-1.as13285.net [89.242.48.1]

3 31 ms 31 ms 30 ms host-78-151-225-248.static.as13285.net [78.151.2

25.248]

4 31 ms 32 ms 31 ms xe-10-0-0-bragg002.bre.as13285.net [78.151.225.4

4]

5 39 ms 40 ms 40 ms host-78-144-8-145.as13285.net [78.144.8.145]

6 52 ms 52 ms 55 ms host-78-144-8-139.as13285.net [78.144.8.139]

7 52 ms 87 ms 53 ms host-78-144-9-59.as13285.net [78.144.9.59]

8 50 ms 50 ms 50 ms ae3-310.lon11.ip4.tinet.net [77.67.94.249]

9 189 ms 188 ms 188 ms xe-0-2-0.sea21.ip4.tinet.net [89.149.182.185]

10 192 ms 192 ms 192 ms internap-gw.ip4.tinet.net [216.221.159.198]

11 190 ms 190 ms 192 ms border8.t8-1-bbnet2.sef.pnap.net [63.251.160.82]

12 * * * Request timed out.

13 189 ms 190 ms 190 ms www.geocaching.com [66.150.167.189]

Trace complete.

I do hope this can be fixed soon as it virtually stopping me caching now.

Thanks for any help

Not working for me either. It has been days now. I cant't even get the the Field Notes. I have IE9 and Chrome running on Windows Vista Home Premium. I do hope this can be fixed soon as it virtually stopping me caching now.

Thanks for any help

What router do you have and have you tried turning off the firewall on it?

Did you guys change something? Pocket query preview maps haven't worked for me in about a week. They seem stuck on my home location showing all caches instead of the caches from the pocket query. I don't believe any of the settings are any different on my computer since they did work.

Not working for me either. It has been days now. I cant't even get the the Field Notes. I have IE9 and Chrome running on Windows Vista Home Premium. I do hope this can be fixed soon as it virtually stopping me caching now.

Thanks for any help

I have turned the Firewall off and it appears to be working OK. I have a SNA5630NS/05 badged as TalkTalk but possible manufactured by Phillips. Should I leave the Firewall off or is there something else I should do?

Thanks for your help

Thanks for any help

I have turned the Firewall off and it appears to be working OK. I have a SNA5630NS/05 badged as TalkTalk but possible manufactured by Phillips. Should I leave the Firewall off or is there something else I should do?

Thanks for your help

At the moment if you want Maps to work then you will need to leave the firewall off your router, if you are able to, it could be worth seeing if there is a firmware update that you can apply that may fix your router . You should always have a firewall to protect your PC from external attacks but if you have an antivirus software with a firewall then you should be ok until Groundspeak fix the issue. I think that this is the 3rd type of router now that I have heard that blocks the website, I do hope that Groundspeak are investigating the problem as it does feel very much like the problem stems from the recent changes to the map tiles.

I think that is the 3rd make of router that has a problem, I hope that Groundspeak are looking at it.

Edited by The K9 Crew

I also encounter problems seeing geocaching maps since +\- 1 week.

Sometimes, browser timeouts (firefox, chrome / windows 7, iOs), sometimes, maps load but no icon appear.

Thank you to fix this...

05/22 - Everything is working fine today ... yahou !!

Edited by Pecno

I made a pocket query and clicked the view maps tab but it only shows the caches around my home coordinates, not the pocket query I loaded.

Nevermind...sorry, replied on wrong posting....

Same here and since I am not really very computer smart I guess I will just have to live with it as I don't understand what people are saying they are doing to fix the problem. Hope the site fixes it soon. I am lost without it.

I am having trouble with my maps too. The "Map this location" works fine and all the caches are shown, but as soon as I use the mouse to drag the map it starts jumping up and down. Anybody else had this problem? I am in the UK, on BT. My pc is using Vista.

I am not computer wise. I have deleated cookies, used Ccleaner and defraggled. What else can I try?

I made a pocket query and clicked the view maps tab but it only shows the caches around my home coordinates, not the pocket query I loaded.

Nevermind...sorry, replied on wrong posting....

Same here and since I am not really very computer smart I guess I will just have to live with it as I don't understand what people are saying they are doing to fix the problem. Hope the site fixes it soon. I am lost without it.

According to Moun10bike, they've resolved this issue but it won't show until the site update at the end of the month. Scroll up to his post on this thread and there is a link to his explanation on another thread. Hope that helps. :unsure:

Maps NOT working for over one week. Map appears but no caches come up. Map is zoom-able and pan-able, but it just sits there waiting for a response from geocaching.com. Same in Firefox, IE and Chrome. I tried with win7 64bit and 32bit and vista 32bit. It doesn't work as i am WEB15, WEB16 or WEB08.

I'm from germany. For a tracert www.geocaching.com see below.

Is there any workaround to fix this problem???

Routenverfolgung zu www.geocaching.com [66.150.167.189] über maximal 30 Abschnit

te:

2 55 ms 55 ms 56 ms 87.186.225.68

3 56 ms 56 ms 55 ms 87.186.239.194

4 60 ms 61 ms 61 ms f-ed5-i.F.DE.NET.DTAG.DE [217.5.95.46]

5 61 ms * 61 ms 141.136.101.233

6 218 ms 231 ms 219 ms xe-2-3-0.sea21.ip4.tinet.net [89.149.180.57]

7 218 ms 218 ms 219 ms internap-gw.ip4.tinet.net [216.221.159.198]

8 219 ms 218 ms 219 ms border8.t7-1-bbnet1.sef.pnap.net [63.251.160.18]

9 * * * Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung. (timeout)

10 217 ms 216 ms 217 ms www.geocaching.com [66.150.167.189]

Maps NOT working for over one week. Map appears but no caches come up. Map is zoom-able and pan-able, but it just sits there waiting for a response from geocaching.com. Same in Firefox, IE and Chrome. I tried with win7 64bit and 32bit and vista 32bit. It doesn't work as i am WEB15, WEB16 or WEB08.

Routenverfolgung zu www.geocaching.com [66.150.167.189] über maximal 30 Abschnit

te:

Try turning off your routers firewall and see if that fixes it.

te:

Try turning off your routers firewall and see if that fixes it.

When i turn off the firewall of my router i can see all the caches and the map-side appears much quicker.

That's the good message.

But why do i have to turn off my routers firewall now, when everything worked fine the last 18 month with an firewall turned on???

MAPS STILL NOT WORKING ON PQ'S AT ALL HERE. Grrrrrr Thought it was supposed to be fixed last night. PQ's totally useless to me. I am not all that computer savy I am soooo frustrated. Easy fix anyone? I just got a new laptop and don't really want to have to download a bunch of stuff on it. Just getting it figured out with this stupid Windows 8. Is anyone else as frustrated as I am with this? Thought I was being patient but have run out of patience. Are they working with Chrome? Don't know anything about that browser or how to use any other browser but IE. I just don't know what to do. Help someone.

Didn't they say there was a fix coming on Wed? I don't see any difference.

I am also experiencing the issue of not being able to preview my active pocket queries. When I click on the pocket query tab at the left of the map then click on any pocket query, the icon to the left of the pocket query name shows two arrows rotating clockwise but everything just hangs! I'm currently using Internet Explorer 10. This issue is very frustrating!

Same problems here, Antwerp Belgium !

Maps not loading since 3 weeks now, tried all the above, nothing helped.

After 8 years of geocaching is that very frustrating !

I just called my Skynet server and for them everything is working, I have to ask geocaching.com sever ??? Well, here I am... :o

What is going wrong ??

Greetz,

Bartje2428

The map at geocaching.com hasn't worked for me for months when using Firefox. I've got around it by using IE (yuck) until now but this recently got updated to IE 10, and now maps don't work on this either. I don't currently have the option to turn off firewalls so this isn't a cure.

Any ideas?

I can confirm the described problems with the maps an the missing cache symbols. I am from Germany. The problems is acute since 17th May 2013. Something in the IP-Communication between client (geocaching.com User) und geocaching.com server plattform (especially tilesxx.geocaching.com) was modified.

Since the problems is occured first, i have tried several things to locate the problem. It does not matter if you use a special browser, another device within an home network or a alternativ OS linux, fe Ubuntu anyway!

I am sure that the origin of this faulty behavior is the modified ip communication between browser, router and geocaching.com server at 17th May. Maybe the router interpretating this communication as corrupt or something and blocks the session.

Now i will do same test am will be back in a few hours with an detailed report.

I too was having problems with the maps in the Pocket query dept but it started working a week or so ago. Today I checked and thought oh nooo here we go again. It took quite a few seconds for it to switch from my home location map to the query map but it did open and show my query. Maybe just not waiting long enough for it to switch? I run IE10 also. Let it sit there for a while and see if it will convert to the query map. Hope this helps

I have analyzed the ip communication between the browser and the geocaching.com serves. I was starting wireshark to capture packets from this point when i have clicked "Map this location" until the complete map was displayed - with or without :-( cache symbols.

Result:

There is a special behaviour visible. Between a few milli-seconds, sometimes running 80 or more "TCP-SYN" packets to geocaching.com. This again interpretating my router (central breakout to the internet in my home LAN) as "SYN FLOOD" attack (some entries in the syslog protocol) and blocks the session to geocaching.com for about three minutes. After these three minutes i can do a next try. Sometimes its going fine (cache symbols visible), sometimes NOT :-(

Unfortunately its not possible, to turn off this security feature on MY router. So i have to buy a new router hardware :-(

Perhaps there are routers where it is possible to turn off some security features or the complete firewall. Sometimes it could also help to update the firmware of the router.

IMPORTANT: When you turn off the firewall function on the router, you are without any first security instance! You need a firewall on your device.

@geocaching: For anaylzing purposes, i could send the 2 capture files. One contains the GOOD-Session (cache symbols displayed), and the other (symbols not visible).

Edited by Team Labbi

I've been having map problems for weeks now on my PC at home, PC at work was fine. Thought it was a problem with my ageing desktop home PC. I've only discovered in past couple of days that my fairly modest WinXP netbook loads the maps OK at work but not at home. Conclusion? Router issue - or rather GC.com issue affecting my home router but not my work router. Home router is a Micradigital Cable/DSL router, work one (at the optician's practice where I work) is ... not sure, but it's whatever our telephone provider supplied.

Cutting to the chase, I've just disabled the firewall on my Micradigital, and the maps are working perfectly.

Conclusion, GC.com have screwed up somehow in a way which befuddles certain routers.

Despite having software firewall I'm not too keen to leave my router firewall off permanently, so I'll selectively disable it on an "as required" basis. Not ideal, but hey, what's to be done?

If you are experiencing this issue and can narrow it down to your router's firewall, can you please post the details of your router (router brand and model number and firmware version)? If we see an issue with a common router or set of routers, we can then try to obtain one and test with it.

If you are experiencing this issue and can narrow it down to your router's firewall, can you please post the details of your router (router brand and model number and firmware version)? If we see an issue with a common router or set of routers, we can then try to obtain one and test with it.

I will post full details of my router model & firmware version later this week when I'm back home.

Since I switched off my routers firewall, maps are working normal again !

But is that the correct way off working ?

My router is a USRobotics Wireless ADSL2+ Router.

Greetz,

Bartje2428

As promised I can now divulge that my router is a "Micradigital 802.11g Cable/DSL Router". FSD7230-4-E. When logged into the browser-accessible admin interface the following "Version Info" is displayed:

Firmware Version 0.04

Boot Version 0.01

Hardware 01

Serial No. J639437631

On the bottom of the box it came in there is a barcode sticker which also has:

ver.2002uk

I have also added a photo of part of the side of the box which gives more firewall info.

micradigital_firewall_info.jpg

Hope this helps. Meanwhile I shall look to see if there are any firmware updates for it.

Apologies - correction to Micradigital router model number, NOT FSD7230-4-E, but F5D7230uk4-E.

I'd mis-read a number five as a letter "S".