Plan on placing item...

Phobos Anomaly

Im brand new to geocaching, just started less than a week ago and I've found 4 so far in the Denver metro area where I live. Its incredibly fun and seems very addictive!

I was wondering about placing items in caches. I have one small item which I would like to place in a suitable cache that I find however I have a specific destination in mind that I would like the item to end up and I'm curious what I would have to do to get it started. Is there a proper proceedure one should follow? thanks for your help!

~Phobos Anomaly

You could attach the item to a travel bug - a small metal tag with a unique tracking number.

Each travel bug has its own web page which records its travels through each geocache it visits.

On that web page you can specify a mission for that travel bug - this would probably fit with your goal described above :)

This travel bug FAQ should answer most of your questions - http://www.geocaching.com/track/travelbugfaq.aspx

You aren't addicted enough, if you haven't read enough...

Click on the links below and see if they don't match up to what you are describing.

What is a Travel Bug?

How to use a Travel Bug

There's lots to read (probably more than a week's worth) by clicking every link on the website that you can find. Sad to say, that some of the information is almost like it is hidden -- but it is there. Really, click every link that you come across.

I see what you have found to date are all micro-caches. Usually a traveler (Travel Bug) doesn't even fit into a micro.

Travel Bugs are fun and at the same time, frustrating. Some have many floating about because they are so fun. Others have none out because they are so frustrating.

If your item is something that has special meaning to you, you really shouldn't send it out. Although it is not inevitable that it will get lost, there is a strong possibility that it will -- sooner or later. Remember, you are asking complete strangers to care for it, and there are a lot strangers out there (in all interpretations of the word).

EDIT to add: You should also read this important thread, dealing with trackables: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=64691 .

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Its nothing particularly special, just a 2 Real bill i picked up in brazil years ago, and I have several of them anyway.

I wasnt planning on putting it in a micro, as from what Ive seen so far those are very small. there are several small caches near my home which from descriptions seem suitable.

I have read quite a few FAQs, both here and on other sites so far, and the travel bug FAQ, but this is a piece of paper currency and Im not sure how a metal tag would work very well with it, unforunately, which is why I brought the question here, I thought there might be other methods.

~ Phobos Anomaly

Edited by Phobos Anomaly

Its nothing particularly special, just a 2 Real bill i picked up in brazil years ago, and I have several of them anyway.

I wasnt planning on putting it in a micro, as from what Ive seen so far those are very small. there are several small caches near my home which from descriptions seem suitable.

I have read quite a few FAQs, both here and on other sites so far, and the travel bug FAQ, but this is a piece of paper currency and Im not sure how a metal tag would work very well with it, unforunately, which is why I brought the question here, I thought there might be other methods.

~ Phobos Anomaly

In short, you need to buy a tracking number... easiest by purchasing a TB tag.

You see, you are using their website to do the tracking of the item. The price of the tag is the cost for the service.

But you are correct, paper does not travel very well. Aside from that, you can bet your bottom dollar that somebody will keep it -- lots of people like foreign currency just to hold onto (as you apparently do). We use foreign coins as SWAG items to place in caches.

It may survive for a while if you have it double-laminated, but I still think that the temptation for somebody keeping it may be overwhelming.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Good to know, thanks for your help! I think I will leave it in a cache that I find if it's large enough. Hopefully the next person will appreciate it.

That thread you linked was very helpful, I will have to use those tips when selecting an appropriate trackable item in the future.

I am also thankful that this community seems so receptive to newbies, I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but you have been very helpful. :-)

~Phobos Anomaly

side from that, you can bet your bottom dollar that somebody will keep it

....or bet your bottom REAL, in this case :)

I agree, a paper item generally won't make a very good trackable. There would be no good way to attach the metal travel bug dog tag to the bill, and it wouldn't last very long in the wild. I suppose you could just write the tracking number on the bill itself, but someone would probably still end up keeping it.

You might just be better off placing it in a cache as a trade item....somebody will come along who will appreciate it for its collectibility.

Edited by Chief301
side from that, you can bet your bottom dollar that somebody will keep it

....or bet your bottom REAL, in this case :)

I agree, a paper item generally won't make a very good trackable. There would be no good way to attach the metal travel bug dog tag to the bill, and it wouldn't last very long in the wild. I suppose you could just write the tracking number on the bill itself, but someone would probably still end up keeping it.

You might just be better off placing it in a cache as a trade item....somebody will come along who will appreciate it for its collectibility.

Laminate said item, go to REI and purchase a TB tag. Attach activated tag to the laminated item and set it free.