Underground geocaches

Hey guys and gals, just a quick post to see if folks can suggest underground geocaches in England.

Underground = old shelters, trainlines, etc.

Bonus: I'm sure there's one in the North East but can't find it, anyone know which one I'm thinking of?

The Below the Above caches at Freestone Mines near Bath would be worth a look but I suspect the NE cache of which you speak is GC2850M - The Cateran Hole. I've been to some corking UG caches, but most have now been archived (Messe's You're Having a Laugh being a prime example) or forced to change (eg Dragon's Lair on Herm, which I proudly got a FTF on in 2010) which is a shame :(

My one on Eigg in the Small Isles off the west coast of Scotland *might just* end in a cave, and my Silly Billy cache on Tresco, IOS, has the option of taking you to Piper's Hole... :anicute:

Edited by Simply Paul

We have some cracking underground caches in the south west around the area of the Below Aboves, already noted by Simply Paul.

*geocass* has a well put together book mark list of these types of caches in the UK, which can be found HERE. You can create a pocket query with that and display on your the map for easy viewing of where in the country the listed caches are. Using that I can see there's one called At the bunker in the NE, though may not be close enough for you.

There is one close to me

cold war cache

This is in an underground bunker.

There's one close to me:

Cold war cache

which is in an underground bunker. I guess that there are lots of them, but this one is rated 5*/5* (artificially, just to make it more attractive: it's actually 3.5*/2.5* or thereabouts).

I disagree with that, I will say time and again that DT is very individual. When I placed the cache, due to some health problems, I struggled, not only to climb on top of the bunker but on to the ladder leading down in to it. Also the field has a lot of clay in it and when wet is a difficult to walk in. I have spoken to a lot of people who have done the cache and they agree with me. I could change it to a 1/1 if it suits. There again, that would probably get a lot of criticism as well.

I disagree with that, I will say time and again that DT is very individual. When I placed the cache, due to some health problems, I struggled, not only to climb on top of the bunker but on to the ladder leading down in to it. Also the field has a lot of clay in it and when wet is a difficult to walk in. I have spoken to a lot of people who have done the cache and they agree with me. I could change it to a 1/1 if it suits. There again, that would probably get a lot of criticism as well.

It's certainly not 1*/1*! In fact as you know, I didn't find it: so I rate it as pretty difficult (hence my 3.5 rating, now that I know where I went wrong). It's a bit silly to suggest that if someone else feels that it's overgraded then they're saying it should be regarded as totally simple.

But access is quite easy, the only difficulty being a bit of an awkward move to get on the top of the ladder. That might prove 5* if you're ill or disabled, but it hardly matches the ones where you have to abseil down to the cache, climb a difficult tree or swim out to an island.

The field is indeed sticky but I walked around the edge and it was a short easy stroll. But I'm sure you know that it isn't 5* terrain or anywhere near, so people are going to assume that the grading is simply to attract the "extreme cache" collectors, who tend to agree with the rating so that it doesn't get regraded and spoil their list of ticks. As you know, there's a whole set of such caches in the Peak District, graded 5* but easy of access and easy to find. Unfortunately, that means that the rating system is starting to fall into disrepute: but that's for another discussion!

Great cache, rating apart, so please don't take umbrage at my honest opinion on the rating. I wasn't having a dig, just pointing out that it's not an extreme cache, so quite feasible for most. Note that the other similar cache highlighted by sparklefingers is 1.5*/3.5* and there's no indication that it's a lot easier.

HH, sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like I was having a dig, far from it. I guess I didn't word it well. I was really trying to say that the DT rating is so open to interpretation that maybe it is time that something else came in to the equation for rating caches. As you say, that's for another discussion. I am glad that you are one of the many who enjoyed finding the cache and visiting the bunker. Cheers. :D

The Below the Above caches at Freestone Mines near Bath would be worth a look but I suspect the NE cache of which you speak is GC2850M - The Cateran Hole.

Alas, that's not the one I'm thinking.

The one I'm thinking is an old bunker that you reach going down a ladder in a shaft, I suspect it's around Sunderland, Gateshead or even Durham.

The cache that might be being referred to could be http://coord.info/GC44NMH - Forewarned is Forearmed - it's not far from Durham City. There used to be a cache in the ROC bunker north of Haydon Bridge in Northumberland but it is now archived.

The Below the Above caches at Freestone Mines near Bath would be worth a look but I suspect the NE cache of which you speak is GC2850M - The Cateran Hole.

Alas, that's not the one I'm thinking.

The one I'm thinking is an old bunker that you reach going down a ladder in a shaft, I suspect it's around Sunderland, Gateshead or even Durham.

The cache that might be being referred to could be http://coord.info/GC44NMH - Forewarned is Forearmed - it's not far from Durham City. There used to be a cache in the ROC bunker north of Haydon Bridge in Northumberland but it is now archived.

People who've done them speak very highly of the "Below above" and Above below" series of caches created by Bareclawz, which have recently been transferred to madrab.