What's the etiquette when you've lost someone's GC?

Bloodheart

I think I've lost someone's geocoin :(

The geocoins mission was to visit restaurants and I had the absolutely perfect place in mind near where my partner lives (5500 miles away), but once I got there I couldn't find the geocoin - I figured I'd left the geocoin at home, but two weeks later now I'm back I can't find it. I'm SURE that the geocoin is here at home, that I've put it somewhere to keep it safe and now I can't remember where it is...obviously I'm hoping to find it, but if not what do I do? How long do I wait hoping to find it? Do you just report it lost or contact the owner and offer to replace? What is the etiquette here?

I should also point out that the geocoin owner is German so there may be some communication difficulties.

I found it! *blush*

As soon as I hit enter on this post I decided to check the back of the sofa (I had checked bags, suitcases, geocaching bags, geocaching box, etc.) on the off-chance and there it was *phew* - but I guess it's still worth asking what happens if you do lose someone's geocoin just in case it ever happens again.

Funny how that works out.

If you ever "lose" one again, just email the owner, letting them know what happened.

An offer to replace is nice, but it's possible that you'll find it again like this time.

Ask the owner to give you a while.

Being honest about it is a good thing.

I guess it's still worth asking what happens if you do lose someone's geocoin just in case it ever happens again.

Post a note on the coin's page. If you later find it, post another note.

But if it's only been missing a week or so, and there's a chance it will turn up real soon, the notes can wait. I've occasionally lost my personal TB, then found it a few days later, and have never mentioned that on its page. :anicute:

Email them, apologize profusely, offer to buy them a new one.

This, although I think most owners would not expect you to buy them a new one. In your email, be sure that the option to include your email address is checked, to make it easy for them to respond to you.

If the case is that the owner is no longer active, or does not respond, once you have determined that it is truly lost, "drop" it into a cache that you own; then you can mark it missing.

yeah, honest mistakes happen -- just think of what you would like done if you were the owner of a geocoin and someone else lost it.

personally, I don't send anymore coins out in the wild (not because of people "losing" them but it's pretty obvious to see that they have been flat-out STOLEN). only thing I do now is print a nice color photo of the coin, laminate it with the tracking number on the back, and attach it to something of little value as its hitchhiker. then I can show the real coin around at events while the proxy is out in the wild racking up mileage.

`

Edited by ScrappyDooPup