Deleting logs...

BAIN!

It's between you and them. You could ask for them to describe the hide and container to verify that they really were there if you don't want to be labeled a puritan by Toz, but don't want lame bogus couch logs on your hides either.

There are also plenty of posts/thread in here about how people can still mark a log with a leaf or twig if they forgot a pen.

Forgot pen so didn't log. Difficulty seems high, esp with hint. Tfth.

That is their log. I guess I will ask them to describe it, even though its just a black micro, because the log doesn't really prove anything even with the talk about the hint.

Should I still delete it?

It depends how strict you want to be. If you want to be really strict and require a signature, then you have the right to delete it. However, most cache owners will let things like this slide. I don't see anything in their log that indicates they didn't find it, so I wouldn't delete it if it were my cache.

If you keep in mind that geocaching is about fun, not accounting, it might make your decision easier.

If the finders online log doesn't seem fishy, like they mentioned something specific about the location that makes it clear that they were actually there, or they logged other caches in the same area that day, I wouldn't worry about it personally. At least they were being honest about it. Only once did I have to delete a clearly bogus log (guy created an account one day and logged numerous finds in many states and a few different countries the very next day).

If the finders online log doesn't seem fishy, like they mentioned something specific about the location that makes it clear that they were actually there, or they logged other caches in the same area that day, I wouldn't worry about it personally. At least they were being honest about it. Only once did I have to delete a clearly bogus log (guy created an account one day and logged numerous finds in many states and a few different countries the very next day).

smh, whats the point

If I should notice a pattern by one cacher who never seems to have a talking stick...all those logs are going bye-bye.

Be careful about that. I had one such cacher appear in my area last year. Their logs on quite a few of their first finds said they forgot their pen, so couldn't sign. I was on the verge of deleting their logs when I learned through other sources that they really had visited the caches and were just really bad about remembering to bring a pen. I've since met them and have no doubts that they did in fact visit the caches in question. They now have pens everywhere: backpack, car, jacket pocket, etc.

I've given up caring about how other people play. Anything other than a 5 gallon bucket or an ammo can in the woods is somebody trying to make geocaching a different game. If you think you need to sign the log, to make it official....100 people will tell you why you're wrong. Same goes for complaining about rest stop caches, power trails and just about any other way people like to play.

Play the way you want. Try to be understanding of the way others play and remember....you're supposed to be having fun.

Cheers and just have fun.

P.S.

if I can't sign the log physically, I log a note.

If I should notice a pattern by one cacher who never seems to have a talking stick...all those logs are going bye-bye.

Be careful about that. I had one such cacher appear in my area last year. Their logs on quite a few of their first finds said they forgot their pen, so couldn't sign. I was on the verge of deleting their logs when I learned through other sources that they really had visited the caches and were just really bad about remembering to bring a pen. I've since met them and have no doubts that they did in fact visit the caches in question. They now have pens everywhere: backpack, car, jacket pocket, etc.

On the other hand, we had one in our area who constantly "forgot a pen" on caches for weeks.

- Even the one he would have had to remove the pencil from to get to the log.

I've already let it go. I think the only reason I was thinking of deleting it is because I was just browsing the guidelines when the notice came through email about the find, so the logging guideline was fresh in my mind.

On the other hand, we had one in our area who constantly "forgot a pen" on caches for weeks.

- Even the one he would have had to remove the pencil from to get to the log.

lol Yeah I had a "forgot a pen" log on one of my caches. I sent the cacher an email saying he could have used the pencil that was in the cache (after I had gone out and made sure the pencil was still there) and asked him to delete his log until he actually signed it. He didn't delete his log, but he did go back and sign it.

If I forgot my pens(i take two) lost them while out or they quit working I would never mention it. No one checks anyhow and if someone checked and deleted the log fine. To many caches out there to worry about this.

This is me.. I don't audit logs but if you publicly admit it, well, then, I'd treat it on a case by case basis. If you conveniently forgot your for my 4.5 terrain tree climb or cave cache then your log is gone. If I owned any guard rail caches (I don't think I do) well then I'd be less likely to give a rip. A double standard perhaps but it's my game, right? :P

If I forgot my pens(i take two) lost them while out or they quit working I would never mention it. No one checks anyhow and if someone checked and deleted the log fine. To many caches out there to worry about this.

This is me.. I don't audit logs but if you publicly admit it, well, then, I'd treat it on a case by case basis. If you conveniently forgot your for my 4.5 terrain tree climb or cave cache then your log is gone. If I owned any guard rail caches (I don't think I do) well then I'd be less likely to give a rip. A double standard perhaps but it's my game, right? :P

That sounds like a great plan.

I'm really not up for the drama that deleting logs creates, but I'm also not up to enforcing hard rules like "no signature, no log". I see a log that says, "My first cache, how cool! I didn't realize that I needed a pen to sign the log, but I'll try to come back next week and sign it" as completely different than a guy finding 50 urban micros in one night and logging each as "Nice cache, forgot my pen".