Olympia Cache Machine II

travisl

Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the icon13.gif icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes.

(Link to dinner event cache.)

Political bigwigs and happy hippies. Grunge and artesians. Greeners, geoducks, and cachers. Let's go to O-town!

Olympia has so many caches in such a diverse area: urban hides, pocket parks, trail systems, waterfronts, monuments, and more. It's a long day with a lot of places to look, and all within a 7-mile radius of downtown.

So fill up the tank, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and start on the route. Sunrise on Saturday, June 22, is at 5:00 a.m., so let's start then with a virt: America: Land of the Brave and the Free. From there, move at your own pace and get as many as you can.

Dinner's at 7:30 p.m. at Ramblin' Jacks, 520 4th Avenue East. See its event page for details. Note that dinner this time is a little different -- buffet style, and a headcount ahead of time will be very helpful. Please log your "will attends" on the event page.

Note that several caches on the route map may be marked with a "do not enter" icon (icon_disabled.gif). Those cache owners have justifiably asked for their cache to not be on the route, and for the cache to not be sought after this weekend. The cache is, in the owner's opinion, in a sensitive area, whether it's environmentally sensitive, socially sensitive, or physically fragile. Just don't get it. It's not like there's a shortage of caches in the area.

Rules:

1) Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt.

2) Respect private property, even if the cache owner didn't. Post your DNFs proudly.

3) One logbook entry for "OCM2" is fine for most small and micros. Don't go filling up the logbook just because you want to mark your territory. 100 people's names and dates will fill up most one-sheets. Be kind and bring extra paper to add to caches with full logbooks.

4) As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it. Handing it off to someone else and pointing down saying "it goes there" isn't good enough. Don't be a jerk. The extra 45 seconds isn't going to ruin your day.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

----

The Olympia Cache Machine II FAQ:

When is it? When is the start time?

Saturday, June 22, 2012. Start time is 5:00 a.m. at America: Land of the Brave and the Free

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

We'll start as one large group, but after a dozen caches or so, the large groups will likely fragment, and on a long day like this, you'll probably be on your own by the time most people in town are waking up.

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

• Friday, June 21, at 7:00 p.m., will be a pre-event dinner. Location will be announced later in this thread, once I figure it out.
  • Saturday, June 22, at 7:30 p.m., dinner will be at Ramblin' Jacks, 520 4th Avenue East, N 47° 02.724 W 122° 53.736. Please let me know how many of you are coming by logging a "will attend" on the event page.
  • Sunday, June 23, would be a good day to expand beyond the core area. Go for it!

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park.

Thanks for catching that! Let me know, and I'll incorporate it into the route.

If dinner's at 7:30 p.m., why does the route run way past then? Is this a two-day event?

The extra time is a buffer, in case you're so good that you'd run out of caches before you run out of daylight. I don't expect anyone would be able to hit all of them between sunrise and sunset. Of course, if you wanted to hit them after dinner, or on Sunday, I'm sure you'll be able to find folks to join you.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet.

You don't have X cache on the route. Why aren't we getting that one?

I try to avoid most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived/a two mile hike.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or will check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area.

By all means, let me know. I don't want to send 100 people there to stomp all over it.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route.

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this. Dinner is $15.95 per person (plus tax and tip).

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :-P Or find something on the way.

Rain? Snow? Landslides? Flooding?

Probably, yes. Do what you safely can, and skip ahead when reality or your capabilities don't match the plan. Be prepared and flexible.

What do the map symbols mean?

Turquoise lines show my suggested route, but if there's a brown trail or grey road that I've drawn in, ignore the turquoise. Purple "P" icons show places to leave a car for a short time. And there's these symbols:

ce16d180-40c2-423d-a3ab-b976b7b4a2b2.jpg

The first draft of the route is up. Let me know if you see me doing anything strange, like going the wrong way down a one way street, telling you to ford a river, or marching you through someone's back yard.

The event page is live.

I already see that I need to update the instruction page to remind people that the Earthcache at stop #5, It’s The Water….and a Parking Lot, Too!, requires vinegar and pH strips, or a container to collect water for later analysis.

Thought I would post a quick message.

Yes, I'm still alive. However, I'm now unemployed since last November (lay-off, didn't see it coming), so I'm in no position to travel. Employment Insurance has pretty well grounded me for the next 9 months.

Wish I could come, as I enjoyed caching in Olympia after the Belfair Cache Machine (Jan/11)

Bookmark is up.

Problems:

#69, GC280RF - A note for DNF and then a DNF, needs watching.

#81, GC2C41E - Cache is broken and laying in the open.

#107, GC2A2HE - May or may not be missing. DNF,Find, 2 DNFs. But it sounds like an Ivy hide.

PM caches:

#10, GC2ADH9

#31, GC257PV

#47, GC2QCVC

#55, GC1ZGXM

#59, GC25740

#82, GC1WM9Z

#87, GC1QED7

#91, GC2QXYB

#107, GC2A2HE

As always your on your own for the coordinates, but you can log them via geocachingadmin.com/. Note that Groundspeak has recently deleted a members account on a PM cache. They said they would change the web site but it still says that PM caches are exclusively for PM members. YMMV.

Edited by jholly

Not sure if this is the correct place to post the request, but please remove Burri Park Redux (GC3EMVN) from the event's cache list. It's located in the kind of spot that benefits from infrequent visits by smaller groups, so I will be disabling it during the event. Please be sure to take it off the list, and have fun with the other caches, including one of my own... Yaks Tap Brew.

Thanks,

ingosabi

Edited by ingosabi
please remove Burri Park Redux (GC3EMVN) from the event's cache list

Consider it off the route. It will be a couple of weeks before I post the next update, but I've already deleted it off of my working copy. Thanks for the heads up!

Removing from the bookmark.

Problems:

#107, GC2A2HE - May or may not be missing. DNF,Find, 2 DNFs. But it sounds like an Ivy hide.

#69 I will visit this cache to check it out soon.

#81 I will be stopping by to see if I can fix this one. It is a wooded place out of the way of muggles and a good cache for the route.

#107 CO says it will be replaced this weekend.

#27 Seasonal Lake: CO has temp-archived this cache to keep it out of the CM.

#80 Ken Lake Cache is definitely one to pull off the route. It's in a tight subdivision on a very narrow one way lane with no room to park and the neighbors really give you the eye.

I'm sure the police would be called after the first group shows up and certainly after the second. :huh:

EDIT: I will more closely check the list over the next couple of days to see if any other caches of concern show up.

Edited by Team Sagefox

Problems:

#69 GC280RF dPickles first. I stopped by this afternoon and it is definitely missing. I posted a NM log.

#81 GC2C41E Brandi's First Cache Stash. Yep. Only part of the container was there. The CO has given me permission to rehab this cache so it should be back in action within a week.

#114 GC333JM Not as easy as Crab Cake: I recommend this cache be pulled from the route. It is in a very busy food vendor booth at the Farmers' Market. Saturdays are very busy and you just about have to step over the customers to get at this cache. They would be watching while in line and seated at the tables. It is a good cache for occasional visits but a CM might cause big problems.

#39 - 42 I Hate I-5, Z&Es fun cache, Water is Mightier than Rock, Tumwater Falls

These four caches are in Tumwater Falls Park and can be reached from the parking lot within the park. The parking symbol for 39 and 40 is the entrance to the park. 41 and 42 cannot be accessed from the parking currently shown on the CM map - fenced and steep bank. I guarantee the walk to and from 41 and 42 from the parking lot will be the most memorable walk of the CM and should not be missed. Walk down on the west bank, find the caches, then cross the river at the lower falls and back up the east bank trail for the maximum experience.

Edit: To correct numbers and name caches.

Edited by Team Sagefox

We checked on a few more caches today and I have one more recommendation:

#2 GC3K884 Nature's Exhibit. I recommend removing this cache from the route. It is on the grounds of the State Capital Museum which is on quiet back streets in a historic neighborhood district. A lot of traffic here could bring complaints from the neighbors, especially at 5am!!! A lot of folks poking around could be detrimental to this tiny natural area any time of day.

Thanks, Team Sagefox, for pounding the pavement checking out some of these caches, and for your additional advice on several others. I'll incorporate these changes into the next draft.

The cache owners already concur with your assessments on Not as easy as Crab Cake and Ken Lake Cache; they contacted me via e-mail earlier this week. Clearly, they'll be off the route.

Freddy's is off the route. Thanks for the alert, FunkyToad.

There's been so many changes, and I found an extra few minutes this afternoon, that I'm now posting Draft 3.

If you've asked me to remove or add a specific cache to the route, or gave me parking advice, would you mind checking this version and see if I've done what you expected? I think I've incorporated everything, but would hate to see a good request slip through the cracks.

Freddy's is off the route. Thanks for the alert, FunkyToad.

There's been so many changes, and I found an extra few minutes this afternoon, that I'm now posting Draft 3.

If you've asked me to remove or add a specific cache to the route, or gave me parking advice, would you mind checking this version and see if I've done what you expected? I think I've incorporated everything, but would hate to see a good request slip through the cracks.

I was planning on a Monday release, so it might be a day or two until I get the bookmark up to date.

If you've asked me to remove or add a specific cache to the route, or gave me parking advice, would you mind checking this version and see if I've done what you expected?

Looks good for my part. Thanks. Should be a fun Cache Machine for the CMers.

Did someone request I Hate I-5 Its The Waterbe pulled from the CM? I thought it was on the first draft.

This is one of the venerable I Hate I-5 caches by Just A Short Walk. I would think this is a good cache to have on the CM. It's out of the way and adds a 4th cache to the stop at Tumwater Falls Park. It has an overrated difficulty level especially since the hint says right where to find it.

Did someone request I Hate I-5 Its The Waterbe pulled from the CM? I thought it was on the first draft.

Yes, a local cacher wrote to me, saying that 1) the cache owner has been inactive. 2) Although it's not located within the park, security tends to question people in that area. 3) It tends to be very wet and muddy and probably won't hold up well to all the traffic. Do you disagree?

Edit: It turns out that I found this cache in March 2004. I remember it being in a neat area, but several subsequent logs mention encounters with security, and that the trail to the cache from the nearby bridge is probably only there because of geocachers. I vaguely recall it being muddy and slippery, and a bit of a scramble, but it's possible my brain is what's scrambled here. (Also deleted and paraphrased quoted e-mail I used without permission.)

Edited by travisl

Yes, a local cacher wrote to me, saying that 1) the cache owner has been inactive. 2) Although it's not located within the park, security tends to question people in that area. 3) It tends to be very wet and muddy and probably won't hold up well to all the traffic. Do you disagree?

I found it at the end of 2002 so I don't remember all the details but I never thought folks would be walking down from the bridge. I found the park entrance and the nearby parking lot without an auto-routing gps . I admit that I haven't been back to that cache during our many visits to Tumwater Falls Park so I don't really know the current conditions. I defer to my peers.

I've been taking care of 'I Hate I-5, Its the Water' for the past couple of years and asked that it be removed from th CM because that area will become a big mud hole by the end of the event. Also, depending on the security guard on duty you may get visited and asked about your activities. I've been asked when I made a very quick in and out trip just to see if it was in place. It's not on park property, but the most logical approach is through the park. The other route in is pretty well ovrgrown with blackberries.

Draft 3 is posted.

GC37AYF - Disabled 5/28. CO says it will take a week or two for new container and then will replace at next opportunity.

GC280RF - Confirmed missing, CO says it will be replaced before the CM.

GC2A2HE - Looks like it is missing. 5/22 CO said he will replace it next weekend.

Several others have last log as DNF, so will need to check later.

GC37AYF - Disabled 5/28. CO says it will take a week or two for new container and then will replace at next opportunity.

GC2A2HE - Looks like it is missing. 5/22 CO said he will replace it next weekend.

I will keep my eye on these and perhaps work with the owners if they can't get these caches replaced by the final draft. I would like to see them stay in the machine.

We replaced GC2C41E Brandi's First Cache this afternoon.

Edited by Team Sagefox

I will keep my eye on these and perhaps work with the owners if they can't get these caches replaced by the final draft. I would like to see them stay in the machine.

We replaced GC2C41E Brandi's First Cache this afternoon.

I figured you were on top of Brandi's cache so I did not mention it.

# 112 The Office. Yikes!!! The cache is at a tall state parking garage and the coordinate bounce puts you in the neighbor's driveway. Someone just searched inside the neighbor's carport where there are some filing cabinets. The cache hint does say it's in a filing cabinet so I guess it was inevitable that someone would go into that carport... the one with the Harley. (I would not go near someone's Harley in their carport... no sir!) A cryptic note on the cache page says "not in garage" but I interpreted that to mean not in the parking garage which is very good to know.

I just sent a note to the young, probably inactive cache owner that he should make a statement not to go into the neighbor's carport or garage but I'm not sure he will do that or that it would be read by all CMers.

It might save some CMers some big time grief if this cache was pulled from the machine especially if the CO doesn't put a clear note on the page.

#103 Twin Ivy Trees. The CM map routes us right to the street where the CO says not to park due to limited room. He gives parking cords.

There are many caches with limited parking on the route. There might be some tight spots but CMs groups tend to thin out and it almost always works our o.k.. I have a couple more I want to check out in the next few days and will report back if I see problems.

#50-Tumwater Falls Historic Park and #59-Pretty Odd Oly are ready for the cache machine. I replaced the logs last week. Pretty Odd Oly I changed the coords on because people have had trouble. They should be better now. Let me know if I can help out in anyway since I am a Thurston Co cacher.

Four things:

1) The pre-event dinner will be on Friday, June 21, at 7:00 PM at McMenamins Spar Café, 114 4th Ave E., N 47.045 W 122.901. It could be crowded, and reviews mention great beer but slow service, so bring patience.

2) If you're coming from the north on Friday afternoon, bring more patience. Southbound I-5 from SeaTac to Lacey on a summer Friday is usually one big rolling slowdown, especially if the weekend weather's going to be good. Plan accordingly.

3) I've added an ALL-CAPS warning to "The Office" to stay away from the private driveway and carport. I've updated the directions to "Twin Ivy Trees" to get to the parking coordinates. I've removed "DDS alt 1: Dirty Dave Snickers" from the route. These changes, among others, will be in the final route, which I plan to post on Monday. Thanks for the heads up, Team Sagefox and JHolly.

4) Regarding the "do not hunt" list, if a cache is disabled, don't hunt for it. If it's enabled but not on the route, it's OK to hunt on Friday or Sunday, but not during the event. I'll clarify this on the instruction sheet.

Edited by travisl

We are out of town now and I can't check on these until next Friday morning. Without a report from the owners we won't know if caches are in place, or not. We will be back on Friday and I will report back here what I find by Friday late morning - early afternoon. I know that might be too late for most folks... :(

I've posted the final route.

Of the caches noted in JHolly's most recent post, GC37AYF is fixed and on the route. GC280RF and GC2A2HE are on the route but marked with a ":(", because the cache owners have promised to perform maintenance, but the page doesn't say they've done so yet.

If you missed it above, the pre-event dinner (unofficial) will be at McMennamin's Spar Café at 7:00 on Friday night.

Any further changes will be announced at the pre-event dinner, and then in this forum that night.

I'm looking forward to seeing lots of you in Olympia dark-and-early on Saturday!

Bookmark is back up.

Problems:

#9 GCQMBK - 2 DNF's in a row

#70 GC1GQ8Y - 3 DNF's in a row

#73 GC280RF - verified missing. 5/24 CO said would be replaced that weekend. Still no owner maintenance log.

#74 GC280RF - 2 DNF's in a row. Maybe because it is a nano in the hedge?

#109 GC2A2HE - 2 DNF's in a row, CO said will be out the weekend of 5/22, no owner maintenance log.

Corrections:

#69 GCQMBK - enabled, container replaced

C'ya all Saturday night or on the trail.

Bookmark is back up.

Thanks for creating this bookmark list, as it is quite helpful. One idea that might make it even more helpful would be to edit the names of the bookmark list entries to include the number of the cache as part of the cache name so they sort based on Travis's route. For example GCWZKJ Twin Ivy Colored Trees happens to be stop #102, so it's possible to change the name of the entry in the bookmark list to "102 - Twin Ivy Colored Trees", and for cache #5 on the list, the name of the cache in the list can be changed to "005 - Nano Mania Part 6", etc.

I've used that technique to help enumerate caches on bookmark lists for various challenges I've worked on to great effect. I do realize this would be a fair amount of effort and so if you don't want to pursue it, I would certainly understand.

Bookmark is back up.

Thanks for creating this bookmark list, as it is quite helpful. One idea that might make it even more helpful would be to edit the names of the bookmark list entries to include the number of the cache as part of the cache name so they sort based on Travis's route. For example GCWZKJ Twin Ivy Colored Trees happens to be stop #102, so it's possible to change the name of the entry in the bookmark list to "102 - Twin Ivy Colored Trees", and for cache #5 on the list, the name of the cache in the list can be changed to "005 - Nano Mania Part 6", etc.

I've used that technique to help enumerate caches on bookmark lists for various challenges I've worked on to great effect. I do realize this would be a fair amount of effort and so if you don't want to pursue it, I would certainly understand.

Thanks for the comments. I've done that in the past and it is a LOT of work that needs to be repeated on each draft. The problem is it all has to be done on GC.com one at a time. After the Long Island cache machine Travis suggested that we don't all go in a traveling horde but spread out. With that in mind I dropped the numbering. Perhaps he has had a change of heart. Personally I don't use Travis's route but do my own based on the caches he has selected for what I feel I can do in the time allotted to caching that day and for my own selected start point. As a result I really don't see many others during the day since I am "out of sync".

I've thought of publishing a text file of sequence,cache and a GSAK macro so you can get the sequence number into the user sort column into GSAK and then use a macro to prepend the stop number for your nuvi or hand held. But then the issue is how many are comfortable enough with GSAK. Even though I use Street and Trips for my caching days/trips I use the sequence number on my nuvi to manage the next cache.

Bookmark is back up.

Problems:

#73 GC280RF - verified missing. 5/24 CO said would be replaced that weekend. Still no owner maintenance log.

#109 GC2A2HE - 2 DNF's in a row, CO said will be out the weekend of 5/22, no owner maintenance log.

Corrections:

My bad, now correct

#69 GC37AYF - replaced and enabled.

CO disabled #70

CO of #109 posted a maintenance log, all is good.

Bookmark is back up.

Problems:

Corrections:

My bad, now correct

#69 GC37AYF - replaced and enabled.

CO disabled #70

CO of #109 posted a maintenance log, all is good.

CO disabled #14

As announced at dinner tonight:

Remove:

• #14, What's That Thing?, GC3PADG. Disabled for repair.
  • #70, Bay View II, GC1GQ8Y. Disabled. Four DNFs.
  • #73, dpickles first, GC280RF. Verified missing. Owner said he'd replace, but it was still missing as of 2:45 this afternoon.
  • #74, Houses I Painted 4, GC32ZPZ. Received 3 DNFs after 56 finds.

Add:

• #109a, Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Redux), GC4C3BC. New cache hidden on Monday.

Dinner is scheduled for 7:30 PM, but the restaurant will have the food out a few minutes before then. I hope to see a lot of you at the start point early early for a 5:00 AM photo! Expect to see tail lights at 5:01!

During the Cache Machine, some rocket scientist thought that placing Munzee's so close to my caches (and others that I've heard of) made at least two of mine a "gimme". I removed one but the other was attached with packing tape.

Has this been happening at other cache machine routes?

This is really lame.

During the Cache Machine, some rocket scientist thought that placing Munzee's so close to my caches (and others that I've heard of) made at least two of mine a "gimme". I removed one but the other was attached with packing tape.

This is really lame.

First time I've heard of this. Sure it was not a munzze'er that was unaware of your caches?

This is really lame.

First time I've heard of this. Sure it was not a munzze'er that was unaware of your caches?

The cacher that reported it to me said that a bunch of them appeared along the Cache Machine route. My cache that wasn't on the route was left alone. It was between them (just over .1 mile from each).

Both of the Munzee's were within inches of the caches. They had to have known...

Okay, sounds likely. That is interesting. From my limited understanding to print the munzee QR code you need a coordinate. I guess some one could print up a bunch of munzees ahead of time to slap around. Be interesting if any show up in Bend. Now folks will have a new reason to have their caches dropped from cache machines.

Okay, sounds likely. That is interesting. From my limited understanding to print the munzee QR code you need a coordinate. I guess some one could print up a bunch of munzees ahead of time to slap around. Be interesting if any show up in Bend. Now folks will have a new reason to have their caches dropped from cache machines.

That's my concern as well, had I known that this would happen I may have listed less...

That's my concern as well, had I known that this would happen I may have listed less...

Be interesting to find out from the locals if they also had the same problem or if you were a "specal" case. I don't recall seeing any in close proximity to the caches I did. Only thing close was QR code on an electrical box a cache was on or near. One of the crew tried logging it as a munzee and it did not seem to register. I figured it was some sort of inventory tag for the electrical equipment.

Its not in any way related to the cache machine. If you look at the munzee website you will see that large areas of downtown are nearly saturated by them. My caching group were commenting the day before the route on the massive number placed in the area.

Its not in any way related to the cache machine. If you look at the munzee website you will see that large areas of downtown are nearly saturated by them. My caching group were commenting the day before the route on the massive number placed in the area.

OMG! Munazee power trails! What is this world coming to?