Pocket Query Map Preview

NanCycle

I looked back through several days of topics in both the Geocaching Topics and Bug Reporting forums, and didn't find anything, so maybe it's just me. Starting yesterday I have not been able to get the Map Preview of a Pocket Query. When I ask for one (no matter which one it is), I just get the map of my local area.

[Windows 7 & IE 9]

Edit: same results with Vista & IE 9

Edited by NanCycle

I looked back through several days of topics in both the Geocaching Topics and Bug Reporting forums, and didn't find anything, so maybe it's just me. Starting yesterday I have not been able to get the Map Preview of a Pocket Query. When I ask for one (no matter which one it is), I just get the map of my local area.

[Windows 7 & IE 9]

There was a site update yesterday and they supposedly "fixed" the maps. Perhaps there is a connection. FWIW it does work correctly for me on Win7 and FF 20.0.1.

[Windows 7 & IE 9]

There was a site update yesterday and they supposedly "fixed" the maps. Perhaps there is a connection. FWIW it does work correctly for me on Win7 and FF 20.0.1.

Thanks. I switched over to Chrome and it works there too.

This appears to be another "improvement" of the Groundspeak system. Not content with making the "Search by name" function worse by only allowing searches by the first word(s) of a cache name, the PQ viewing facility now doesn't work. My favourite expression regarding "improvements" is: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm trying to clear all the caches around my home in ever-increasing radii, so have set up PQs at 1 mile intervals up to 10 miles. Every single one shows me, if I zoom out far enough, all the caches in the world.

I'm using Vista and IE9.

My favourite expression regarding "improvements" is: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

This is one of my least favourite expressions. It epitomizes the black-and-white view of the world. If everyone followed this advice, then we'd still be driving Model-T Fords.

The proper way to approach improvements is to weigh the benefits against the risks and make an informed decision. And if the decision is to go ahead with the improvement, then take all due care when making the changes.

Last Wednesday everything was working fine for me on Firefox. The map will first pop up as my home location, but after a quick second will change over to the PQ map. Checked it again today and its fine.

This is the way it was working for me on both the Win 7 and Vista machines with IE9; now the change over to the PQ map never happens in IE 9.

[Windows 7 & IE 9]

It was working fine for me yesterday, but I'm having the same issue you are now. Windows 7 and IE8

[Windows 7 & IE 9]

I'm having the same issue with FF 19.0.2 Win7 64 bit.

This appears to be another "improvement" of the Groundspeak system. Not content with making the "Search by name" function worse by only allowing searches by the first word(s) of a cache name, the PQ viewing facility now doesn't work. My favourite expression regarding "improvements" is: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm trying to clear all the caches around my home in ever-increasing radii, so have set up PQs at 1 mile intervals up to 10 miles. Every single one shows me, if I zoom out far enough, all the caches in the world.

I'm using Vista and IE9.

Further to my earlier entry, it doesn't work on my laptop running XP and IE9. Unless IE has had an "improvement" it must be something that Groundspeak has done, as until recently the PQ maps worked perfectly on both the PC (Vista/IE9) and the laptop (XP/IE9).

My favourite expression regarding "improvements" is: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

This is one of my least favourite expressions. It epitomizes the black-and-white view of the world. If everyone followed this advice, then we'd still be driving Model-T Fords.

The proper way to approach improvements is to weigh the benefits against the risks and make an informed decision. And if the decision is to go ahead with the improvement, then take all due care when making the changes.

I always thought that "If it ain't broke, don't break it" made a lot more sense. Never had a problem with making things better.

Edited by Don_J

It's not just you. It's not working

It's working fine for those of us that are not using Internet Explorer. Obviously something changed here and I'm guessing that something in IE's basic setup is stopping the maps. Either that or IE doesn't like the way the url is formed.

I haven't used IE for years so I'm no longer familiar with it. I'll let someone else figure it out, but it should be noted that IE users have been having all kinds of issues, mostly related to "compatibility mode" for several months now, after Groundspeak announced the end of "support for older browsers", presumably IE 6 and 7.

I will also note that there was a Windows Update last Tuesday, (same day as Geocaching.com). My version had two security updates for Windows, one security update for IE8 and a cumulative update for IE8. The security update for IE was actually for all versions, so the issue here could be two fold.

The basic issue is Why should I have to change to a different web browser? I use IE 10! Was using a previous version of IE and it had performed very well. Now all of a sudden, the PQ map doesn't work and I see that if I used a different browser, my problems will go away. I upgraded my IE to v10 and it didn't help.

Who can we contact to get this bug fixed?

Edited by thelanes

I always thought that "If it ain't broke, don't break it" made a lot more sense. Never had a problem with making things better.

What I meant by my original comment was that the PQ maps worked perfectly well, so why tamper with them?

When I run a query and wish to display it on a map using Internet Explorer, it doesn't display only the caches found in the query search. It displays everything. It also doesn't change the zoom and pan to display the map where the caches are located, but stays centered on my home location. This started with the maps issue a couple weeks ago.

I tried Google Chrome this morning and it works. This is not specific to any one computer or device. I have the same problem on 3 different PC's and my Android tablet.

I'm still having this problem no matter which browser I use. Was it fixed earlier, because I don't see any notifications about the site going down for an update.

Same problem here I would have thought it would have been fixed by now. It sure screwed up my holiday caching. I was trying to do a county run and it was very difficult to map it out. Very disappointing. Sure hope they get it fixed soon. I tried to use someone else's computer with a different browser and it didn't work on that one either. Was very frustrating.

Fix coming soon? Hope someone from headquarters will respond to all of us having problems soon.

This issue has been fixed and will be included in the next site update (currently scheduled for Wednesday, May 29th). In the meantime, yes, you will need to use another browser in order to avoid the bug, which is caused by a JavaScript error specific to IE.

Checks calendar, re-reads the above quote. Hmmmm! Still no joy. :(

The fix did not make it into this release sad.gif. The only map-related fix was a printing issue.

I've escalated this problem with the team in the hopes of getting some quick action on it, but I can't promise anything.

Thanks for the info but makes me really angry that they wouldn't fix something like this right away. Really disappoints me in the site. Maps are important!!!!!

The fix did not make it into this release sad.gif. The only map-related fix was a printing issue.

I've escalated this problem with the team in the hopes of getting some quick action on it, but I can't promise anything.

Thanks for the info but makes me really angry that they wouldn't fix something like this right away. Really disappoints me in the site. Maps are important!!!!!

The issue only affects IE; you can use another browser in the meantime while waiting for the fix (which I have been told will be expedited).

The issue only affects IE; you can use another browser in the meantime while waiting for the fix (which I have been told will be expedited).

I have an old laptop that still uses Windows XP and IE8. Pocket Query Map Preview still works fine. Guess I am lucky to have such an obsolete system.

PQ mapping worked yesterday, it doesn't today. Or have I been dreaming? Win7, IE10.

You were dreaming. PQ mapping hasn't worked for a couple of weeks now. The fix didn't get into the last site update, but it sounded like they were trying to expedite it to get it out before the next site update.

Thanks for sorting out the PQ mapping issue :) . I do hope that the "Search by name" facility can now be restored to what it was before. Today I wanted to find the details for a cache that I knew was called "Bowood Bimble". However, as the owner had prefixed the cache name with a number, which I didn't know, I had great difficulty in finding the relevant cache page.

The new search facility is useless for finding cache pages when only part of the cache name is known.