getting pocket queries onto my gps

lakeloon

Since our Garmin PN40 is no longer able to download individual caches, we are trying to do a pocket query. The process is simple until it comes time to load it on the gps. Not being a computer guru, I have no idea how to get it from my email onto my gps!!! Please help in plain English for someone who basically knows nothing!!!! We are missing out on some beautiful caching days because we don't know how to do it now!!!!

Plug your Garmin into your computer and then open it up like you would a usb drive - so that you can see the folders inside.

When you download and unzip your PQ, you get two gpx files - one for the geocaches and one for the associated waypoints.

Just drag those two files into the GPX folder on your Garmin.

Simple! :D

Yes, I am sure (s)he meant Delorme. B)

@ lakeloon: I just loaded a PQ onto my PN-40 yesterday. So...

Make sure the PQ downloaded is unzipped so that there are two files -- xxxx.GPX and waypoint.GPX. Do not attempt to open the files as it does you no good and you have created a chance for corruption when you do.

----------

Plug the '40 into the computer, then turn it on. The computer should beep, acknowledging you have done so.

Open the "Computer" tab from your start-up menu located on your desktop. Therein, you *should* see all the drives of the computer displayed. One of them should be a "removable" -storage device or even showing as "Delorme".

If you do not see it there, you can also find it in the "Control Panel" tab, right near the "Computer" tab.

b56e22b5-9ca7-43d3-9c35-78a16c148f1a.png

Open the window that contains your saved and unzipped PQ file(s).

Position those open windows (the downloaded info window AND the window where you find the Delorme) so that you can view both.

Drag and Drop each of those .GPX folders to the Delorme in the other window.

Once done, turn off the Delorme then unplug it from your computer.

You may now turn on the Delorme to check and make sure those geocaches are there. You should be ready to go caching.

Upon occasion, it seems a little difficult to find them in the unit, but they are there, accessible through the main menu.

Practice makes perfect. :)

EDIT to add: Every time you prepare a new PQ, remember to NAME it. As long as you use a different name each time, you can load many, many PQ's to an SD card in your Delorme. They will load into separate files utilizing the name that you ran the PQ under.

You can access the SD card through the Main Menu in the Delorme at any time and switch to whichever named PQ that you wish to search your geocaches on. We generally just use area or location names. Too, we rarely load PQ's that contain 1,000 caches, as by the time we would get to them all the info would be outdated... so we usually limit them to 500 or fewer. Makes things more manageable.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

just a curious piggyback question....I am doing the PQ thing also, open the zip, see both files, but I have only copied 1 of them into the GPS....(must be the waypoint version that I am not moving). seems to work well for me so far, but curious as to what I may be missing??!!I thought the second file was for a different format (depending on age of GPS unit...).

just a curious piggyback question....I am doing the PQ thing also, open the zip, see both files, but I have only copied 1 of them into the GPS....(must be the waypoint version that I am not moving). seems to work well for me so far, but curious as to what I may be missing??!!I thought the second file was for a different format (depending on age of GPS unit...).

You are missing waypoints associated with the caches. These can be parking, trailheads or other nice to know locations. Sometimes they can even be steps of a multi-cache although this is not as common as the others. The file is much smaller than the cache file, so there is really no reason to not install it.

You are missing waypoints associated with the caches. These can be parking, trailheads or other nice to know locations. Sometimes they can even be steps of a multi-cache although this is not as common as the others. The file is much smaller than the cache file, so there is really no reason to not install it.

So, maybe helpful in some situations, but not a requirement. I am cool with that!! Thanks! that was bugging me, but not enuf to ask the question until other questions/answers triggered it!

Yes, I am sure (s)he meant Delorme. B)

@ lakeloon: I just loaded a PQ onto my PN-40 yesterday. So...

Make sure the PQ downloaded is unzipped so that there are two files -- xxxx.GPX and waypoint.GPX. Do not attempt to open the files as it does you no good and you have created a chance for corruption when you do.

----------

Plug the '40 into the computer, then turn it on. The computer should beep, acknowledging you have done so.

Open the "Computer" tab from your start-up menu located on your desktop. Therein, you *should* see all the drives of the computer displayed. One of them should be a "removable" -storage device or even showing as "Delorme".

If you do not see it there, you can also find it in the "Control Panel" tab, right near the "Computer" tab.

b56e22b5-9ca7-43d3-9c35-78a16c148f1a.png

Open the window that contains your saved and unzipped PQ file(s).

Position those open windows (the downloaded info window AND the window where you find the Delorme) so that you can view both.

Drag and Drop each of those .GPX folders to the Delorme in the other window.

Once done, turn off the Delorme then unplug it from your computer.

You may now turn on the Delorme to check and make sure those geocaches are there. You should be ready to go caching.

Upon occasion, it seems a little difficult to find them in the unit, but they are there, accessible through the main menu.

Practice makes perfect. :)

EDIT to add: Every time you prepare a new PQ, remember to NAME it. As long as you use a different name each time, you can load many, many PQ's to an SD card in your Delorme. They will load into separate files utilizing the name that you ran the PQ under.

You can access the SD card through the Main Menu in the Delorme at any time and switch to whichever named PQ that you wish to search your geocaches on. We generally just use area or location names. Too, we rarely load PQ's that contain 1,000 caches, as by the time we would get to them all the info would be outdated... so we usually limit them to 500 or fewer. Makes things more manageable.

What am I missing? How do I access the sd card thru the main menu on my PN40 to see the PQ's I've copied onto it?

Been trying everything I can think of and only way to see pq's is thru my computer

Edited by romer1