New with lots of questions

Hello. I'm just starting to learn about Waymarking. We have a project idea at work that would have been great for a "virtual" geocache trail, but since those aren't allowed anymore, I think it will work even better as a Waymarking trail. In doing research, I see you first form a group of at least 3 premium members who then submit their category idea. Now....would that be for the MAIN category? What about subcategories? Just as an example, if you wanted to create a category called something like "Path through history in NYS" then have subcategories for each County, is that one request for the main categories, or do the individual subcategories all need to go through the whole process? Thanks in advance for your help!

It does not work the way you think.

First: There are no subcategories at all! I know, some people call some categories subcategories, but technically they are all the same. Categories contain waymarks. There is something like "super-categories" that contain categories or other super-categories on a lower level. Only the *real* categories are managed by an officer group, the other ones come from Groundspeak to bring some order in the hierarchy.

More important: a category proposal has to go through public peer review before it can be activated. There are some base criteria: Global, Prevalent, Interesting, Redundant. Even if all the criteria are clearly met peer review is quite brutal and the bars are high; most proposals don't pass peer review. Your idea is not global, so you can probably count on a "Nay" rate of about 95%.

Maybe it is a good idea to get some practice first; visit and post some waymarks to get a feeling of how this works.

I think your idea for a category would be tough one to get through peer review. First

"Path through history" would be overly broad and overlap several existing categories for example Historical Markers, National Register of Historic Places, History Museum, Battlefields and many more. Second geographically restricted categories also seldom make it though peer review.

The current search capabilities of using the History department (or supercategory) and then confining your search to New York would yield the current history related waymarks in New York (there are just over 3,000 history related waymarks in NY)

I suggest you browse thru the 1,000+ categories already on Waymarking.com. Choose some categories that interest you, ignore the others, and start visiting waymarks near where you live. Then you can start posting waymarks in categories that interest you.

It's important to have some visiting and posting experience before even considering a category proposal. And when you do think you have a good idea for a new category, post the idea here in the forums. This is VERY important as it will give you valuable feedback before you put too much work into the project. Trust me, we'll let you know what we think! :rolleyes:

Welcome to Waymarking.

Hello. I'm just starting to learn about Waymarking. We have a project idea at work that would have been great for a "virtual" geocache trail, but since those aren't allowed anymore, I think it will work even better as a Waymarking trail. In doing research, I see you first form a group of at least 3 premium members who then submit their category idea. Now....would that be for the MAIN category? What about subcategories? Just as an example, if you wanted to create a category called something like "Path through history in NYS" then have subcategories for each County, is that one request for the main categories, or do the individual subcategories all need to go through the whole process? Thanks in advance for your help!

I would use the category "Waymark Tours (WayTours)" for this. My example is http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM53P8_19th_Century_Greek_Revival_architecture_in_Washtenaw_County which is a driving tour of 19th Century Greek Revival homes in my area. I think if I were to imbed other waymarks into it, it would have the effect of what you are looking for.

I would use the category "Waymark Tours (WayTours)" for this. My example is http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM53P8_19th_Century_Greek_Revival_architecture_in_Washtenaw_County which is a driving tour of 19th Century Greek Revival homes in my area. I think if I were to imbed other waymarks into it, it would have the effect of what you are looking for.

Thanks! I think this may actually work the best for what we are trying to do! I'm thinking each town or general area per tour and then give them all similar names!