Starting a trackable depot.

Chino1130

I got started today on another large cache. I am using another mail box as I had great success with the one I made last summer. The first one I made got loaded with a custom trackable I made and 25 pieces of brand new swag (dollar store stuff. I am going to try a trackable only cache. I am sure it is destined to fail, but I'd like to try anyway. I went out today and bought 15 hot wheels cars and 10 girly things. I ordered 30 tracking tags which should be in by weeks end! I'm going to instruct cachers to only remove a trackable if they are putting one in its place.

Has anyone done something similar and had it work out?

From what I've read on the forums, that last part is a big no-no. Because trackables aren't swag, you can't require people to leave one if they take one. I read in another thread that TB Motels that do this are considered "TB prisons" and that some members will perform raids to "free the prisoners".

Maybe it's different because you are starting a bunch of trackables of your own...but once other peoples TBs are left in your cache, they might not appreciate their bug being stuck in your cache until someone can trade it out.

Edit for spelling

Edited by M4RKO

You can certainly add instructions to your own trackables that they're only to be moved if a cacher can trade for them.

This will tend strand them in other caches, shortly after they leave yours.

Your depot cache will go from 30 of your own trade-only trackables to 30 other trackables, none of which will have these instructions.

A well placed, safe and convenient good sized cache will attract trackables. It will sometimes be empty, but often have bugs and coins. No need to make a prison out of it.

Edited by palmetto

Lol I think that's awesome of you, I love finding trackables and I really appreciate that people continue to send them out, even though so many go missing.

Maybe you can put all of the trackables you're releasing in a separate container within the cache, and request that someone only take one of them if they are leaving another trackable. Because they are yours, I don't think there would be anything wrong with that...but you would probably have to check on the cache to make sure other people's TBs weren't getting placed in that container and thereby getting "stuck" in your cache.

Just an idea, I don't want you to think I'm trying to discourage you, because like I said, I think what you're doing is awesome.

Edit: spelling AGAIN!

Edited by M4RKO

Lol I think that's awesome of you, I love finding trackables and I really appreciate that people continue to send them out, even though so many go missing.

Maybe you can put all of the trackables you're releasing in a separate container within the cache, and request that someone only take one of them if they are leaving another trackable. Because they are yours, I don't think there would be anything wrong with that...but you would probably have to check on the cache to make sure other people's TBs weren't getting placed in that container and thereby getting "stuck" in your cache.

Just an idea, I don't want you to think I'm trying to discourage you, because like I said, I think what you're doing is awesome.

Edit: spelling AGAIN!

No discouragement at all. That's why I ask these sort of things lol. I love trackables. They are the coolest part of this hobby, IMO. Out where I live, we are flooded with nothing but small and micro caches. There are literally hundreds of square miles of woods and hiking trails, yet for some reason no one hides anything bigger than a softball. There's nothing more frustrating than bush whacking through a 1/4 mile of woods to try and find a match stick container. I'm trying to change people's thinking a bit. I hope that by placing huge containers filled with tons of awesome swag and trackables, maybe some others will be encouraged to do the same.

Edited by Chino1130

I like your attitude. Having a big cache for trackables is great, particularly if it's in a good location where it's easy for geocachers to find while protected from muggles. It also helps to be somewhere that makes it easy to go through the contents so people can see what trackables are there and log them.

As to the TB depot idea, the biggest thing that I've noticed that makes a TB hotel work work well is owner participation. So starting out stocking it with trackables is a good idea. Be prepared to add some as it empties out. Better to put in 5 now and hold the other 25 for later, for example. Sure, encourage people to trade trackables -- as you've heard, you cannot require trades, nor should you want to -- but the best way to make sure there are trackables in your cache are to put them there yourself when the level goes down below what you like. Adding your own over time is a brilliant, but you could also leave other trackables you pick up elsewhere if you want.

And the other side of the coin is probably even more important: make sure to inventory the trackables reasonably often to make sure the ones that are listed as being there are there, and mark any that aren't as missing (after giving everyone a chance to do a slow log). And while you're at it, pick up any that have been there too long and move them yourself.

Basically, the important thing to remember is that TB movement it what's important, so your cache should not only be a good place for them to stay, it should also be a place they won't get stuck in.

By the way, think about whether you want to encourage repeat visits. It sounds to me like you do, so I suggest making that clear in the description so if anyone that has already found the cache feels like grabbing or dropping a bug, they know that's perfectly OK with you.

There is an old saying "Don't put all your trackables in one cache", it's often miss quoted by muggles as "Don't put all your eggs in one basket".

So as others have said keep the inventory small, but keep it topped up. So there is a TB for every visitor.

We get very positive comments on our largest cache, well worth the little extra effort.

I thought about doing that, but I figured that if someone wants to keep it, they will, regardless of how tough that attachment is. I did fill the disconnect piece with molten solder and that seems to make them pretty secure, at least in regards to accidentally falling off.

I have to make a Home Depot run tomorrow anyway, maybe I'll grab a bunch of those.

So I'm ready to set up my latest cache tomorrow. I have decided to take all of your nice peoples' advice and not focus as heavily on the trackable aspect. I am going to be calling it "The Swag Hotel. I like to load my caches up with good stuff from the get go, mainly focusing on the kids. I've decided to only put 6 trackables in this guy to start; five cars and my one travel log. I've never come across one of those and I'm curious to see how it goes.

This is what I will be filling the cache with tomorrow morning.

img20130521102343330.jpg

Edited by Chino1130