Which android phone

Hi All

Its been a while since i have had the time to get on here!

Had a search but gleaned little, so here goes.

Although i have a good gps, i am looking for a new mobile, not top end and i don't like apples.

Could anyone recommend an android or windows phone with a decent gps receiver?

Currently using a LGp350 with a signal lock taking anywhere from 45.minutes to a day or more.

This is not to be used full time, but work often takes me places where there could be a cache just around the corner, often with little or no notice as to the destination.

So a mobile seems to be the way to go.

Any help gratefully received.

Burtsbodgers

I'm a bit of an HTC fan, having had no problems geocaching just using my HTC Desire, and then my HTC Sensation (the Desire's screen was too small for me to resist an upgrade to the Sensation). The only drawback is poor battery life, but I suspect that's a factor with most mobile phones. Neither will be top-end now, although they may still be pricey.

Do not get a windows mobile smartphone unless it is running Win7 or 8 mobile. Earlier versions are unreliable. Android software is great and apps are free. Some are paid for, but generally the free app is better, Win mobile software may cost.

On Sunday grabbed a Samsung Galaxy S (1) from nephew, by time left his house had installed c:geo and logged cache found earlier that day using wifi. Could have used 3G as have data package but wifi is much faster. Android phones need less CPU and working ram, so should consume less battery. Screen, wifi and bluetooth are all power hungry but turned off easily in Android when not in use.

Previous HTC HD2 was crap in comparison to Galaxy S. Only redeeming feature was it could run old Memory-map OS2004.

The newer the phone generally the better gps chips. Data package necessary for ad hoc caching. Try giffgaff.com

If battery life an issue, carry a spare.

HTH

I use an HTC Desire for geocaching. It's fairly elderly now, but the GPS accuracy is pretty good, certainly comparable with my standalone GPS units.

One tip, whichever Android you get, is to get the GPS Status app. It lets you easily update the phone's AGPS (Assisted GPS) data. AGPS gives the phone orbital data that helps it lock onto the GPS satellite signals. It doesn't improve the accuracy, but having current AGPS data makes the time to first fix much shorter. The data is normally good for a few days, but gets progressively worse with time, hence the need to keep it updated.

I'm also an HTC fan having had a Desire for two years and now a One X+. Would also second the GPS Status App which I got as part of the Trigpointinguk App. Since loading it the GPS has improved markedly.

Still use the GPSr for caching but the phone provides a good backup at those caches where you just need to double check any logs that might have appeared since you downloaded etc.

Well personally I would recommend the Samsung galaxy S4. Its my new toy :rolleyes:

While it does an ok job at finding caches, just like any phone, where it comes into its own is that you can use it in the field to download pocket queries, combine them and then upload your main GPS

I use the GDAK app on the phone to download my pocket queries and combine them, then hook up my gps direct to the Samsung with a usb cable (no powered hub needed) and transfer the GPX file across. So handy if your gps freezes or you are away for a week. Its not just a one off thing either. I use it to transfer around 5000 caches to my Montanna to keep it up to date.

You can also use it to upload your field notes from the gps direct to geocaching then use the browser to log them. I don't need the old netbook these days.

Edited by Vodor and Scorsby

Well personally I would recommend the Samsung galaxy S4. Its my new toy :rolleyes:

While it does an ok job at finding caches, just like any phone, where it comes into its own is that you can use it in the field to download pocket queries, combine them and then upload your main GPS

I use the GDAK app on the phone to download my pocket queries and combine them, then hook up my gps direct to the Samsung with a usb cable (no powered hub needed) and transfer the GPX file across. So handy if your gps freezes or you are away for a week. Its not just a one off thing either. I use it to transfer around 5000 caches to my Montanna to keep it up to date.

You can also use it to upload your field notes from the gps direct to geocaching then use the browser to log them. I don't need the old netbook these days.

I used to do this by swapping sd cards to and fro, interesting it can now be done directly with a cable.

edit - just ordered the cable on ebay, £1.36 lol!

Edited by Team Noodles

I had a Sony Xperia Miro for Christmas. I have only used it for occasional caching until recently. A week ago I thought I would give it a good try to see how well it would perform compared to my old GPSr. It did rather well. I downloaded a PQ of a fairly new local power trail to the phone which is running a non-official caching app, then charged the phone battery right up. I left the house about 9.30am and got home about 5pm.

I had the app running continuously. I found 60 of the 62 caches I looked for. Later on I learned that one of the DNFs was because the cache was actually missing. So the GPSr accuracy can't be too bad on the phone. Most of the caches were out in the open, but the few under the trees weren't a problem for the phone, it seems to keep a signal just as well as my GPSr.

As well as looking for those caches, I stopped a couple of times to take some photos for another location based game. I had a few phone calls from my better half. I stopped to check my emails a couple of times. And at one little tunnel I passed I wiggled inside and used the led light on the phone to light my way. The phone was still on 81% battery charge by the time I got home. Admittedly the phone is not old and has not had a great deal of use, but to me that looked to be quite low battery consumption.

Don't know how it would stand up to a hike in winter, but for a relatively cheap android phone for fair weather caching I would recommend.

I have recently moved from an iphone to a HTC One and i have to say the Geocaching app on the iphone seemed to hold a few additional features than the current android version. I know you said you didn't like apple but the app is much better IMO.

I have recently moved from an iphone to a HTC One and i have to say the Geocaching app on the iphone seemed to hold a few additional features than the current android version. I know you said you didn't like apple but the app is much better IMO.

Which are these then?

I'm a bit of an HTC fan, having had no problems geocaching just using my HTC Desire, and then my HTC Sensation (the Desire's screen was too small for me to resist an upgrade to the Sensation). The only drawback is poor battery life, but I suspect that's a factor with most mobile phones. Neither will be top-end now, although they may still be pricey.

My daughter has just got geocaching app for htc desire c.

Great but it doesn't have a menu key.

I'm using an S3 which has a menu button bottom left, enabling me to go into settings, add way point, search here....

She Hasn't got that... Can anyone help please?

Might be three vertical dots either top right or centre bottom of the screen.

Which are these then?

And which app- official one? Or a free 3rd party one?

Don't get an HTC One V.

It doesn't have a compass sensor.

(Thought they all did? Yeah, so did I...)

Neither does he Huawei Y300 but you can still cache with it using c:geo or cache sense. A bit less intuitive than on my old Orange San Francisco but as long as you remember it only points in the right direction while you are actually moving it is fine.

Don't get an HTC One V.

It doesn't have a compass sensor.

(Thought they all did? Yeah, so did I...)

Neither does he Huawei Y300 but you can still cache with it using c:geo or cache sense. A bit less intuitive than on my old Orange San Francisco but as long as you remember it only points in the right direction while you are actually moving it is fine.

You can still cache with it, agreed, but I find it not much fun. It doesn't function that well, to be honest. As I can't afford to either replace the phone or buy a 'proper' GPSr I have been entering cache co-ords into Viewranger and using the maps on that in conjunction with the GPS to find caches.