Enabling Archived Caches

Sororen

Hi two of my caches were archived because they were stolen/destroyed etc. Just this past weekend I replaced them in the exact locations they were in. I pressed "enable this cache" and all it let me do was enter an "owner maintenance" log. I did that on Sunday and have yet to see them "Enabled". Am I missing something here? I'd really like these caches to be active again. Any help on Enabling these caches would be greatly appreciated!!! :lol:

Hi two of my caches were archived because they were stolen/destroyed etc. Just this past weekend I replaced them in the exact locations they were in. I pressed "enable this cache" and all it let me do was enter an "owner maintenance" log. I did that on Sunday and have yet to see them "Enabled". Am I missing something here? I'd really like these caches to be active again. Any help on Enabling these caches would be greatly appreciated!!! :lol:

To unarchive a cache you have to contact the reviewer who published it....CacheShadow and CacheViewer.

Edited by L0ne R

You'll need to contact your reviewer and ask if they'll unarchive it for you. No guarantees they will, but they might.

As a note for next time, it looks like you're confusing "archive" and "disable." If you want some time to replace a cache or perform some sort of maintenance, you need to DISABLE it, not archive it. Then you can replace the cache or maintain it and then enable it so that it's active again.

Archiving means you're putting it away for good - and you're not going to replace it. That's why enabling those caches didn't unarchive them. There's no way for a CO to unarchive a cache without a reviewer.

Hope that's helpful!

It's simple. Only a reviewer can "un-archive" a listing.

Help Center → Geocaching → Cache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

6.13. Permanent Removal: Archiving a Cache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=56

OWNERS:

Visit the page of the listing you wish to archive. Click on the "archive listing" link in the Navigation box in the top right of the page. Enter some text for the log and click "Submit Log Entry."

A warning will alert you, "This can only be reversed by a reviewer or a site administrator. Use the "temporarily disable this cache" option if you only need to take your cache offline for a short time. If you still wish to archive this cache, click on the "yes" button to continue." Click the YES button to archive the listing.

Again, this is permanent.

If you simply want to temporarily disable the cache to give yourself time for repairs, click on the "disable listing" link in the Navigation box in the top right of the cache page. You can enable the listing there, when the cache is ready for finders.

Help Center → Geocaching → Cache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

6.14. Unarchiving a Cache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=70

The archiving of a cache by the owner is supposed to be a permanent status. That is why only the site administrators and volunteers have the capability to unarchive it. This is done only in rare circumstances.

However, if you accidentally archived it, please contact the reviewer who originally published your cache with the cache name, GC Code and the explanation for unarchiving it. You'll find a link to the reviewer's profile at the bottom of your cache page. You may also send a message to contact@geocaching.com in cases where you are unable to reach the correct reviewer.

For any cache to be unarchived, it must first meet the current Cache Listing Guidelines.

B.

I see that one cache was archived 9 months ago and the other nearly 18 months ago. It may be that as it has been such a long time you have to start again. In the interim period another cache may have been place close by, perhaps a puzzle cache that you are unaware of...... If caches round here are archived and the locations are good it is not usually too long before someone else uses that location.

I looked at one of them, and it was archived by the Reviewer due to lack of response from the cache owner.

The Reviewer explained how to deal with it in his Archive Note posted 17 months ago.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol