Twist and lock or twist and seal containers

QClan

I'm working on a cache with a friend and am considering containers. The space I'm placing has a narrower opening, so although an ammo can would fit in there, I can't use it.

I haven't found a twist and lock or twist and seal container, like Rubbermaid take alongs, that was more than a month since being placed. How do they hold up long term? The space is pretty sheltered but I want waterproof to minimize maintenance and improve cacher's enjoyment.

If that won't work, is a lock and lock my best bet? I don't want a micro, I'd love a bigger small or a medium container.

I have one kinda like what you described. It has relatively few finds and is in a sheltered place so it is holding up. I also have one inside another container and it was leaking after a month. If you have a LnL you should use one of those. I have bought a box of various LnL's for like $10. That's less than $2 for a good cache.

I have one kinda like what you described. It has relatively few finds and is in a sheltered place so it is holding up. I also have one inside another container and it was leaking after a month. If you have a LnL you should use one of those. I have bought a box of various LnL's for like $10. That's less than $2 for a good cache.

Do you mind sharing where you bought them? I keep finding the "super green BPA free!" lock and locks on amazon. They're much pricier, and I wasn't sure how the super "green" plastic would hold up outside.

Two bucks a cache is WELL worth it.

The space is pretty sheltered but I want waterproof to minimize maintenance and improve cacher's enjoyment.

Plastic boxes (and lids) tend to warp and get brittle in the elements. L&Ls have a rubber gasket that helps maintain the seal. It depends on the amount of water and humidity, heat/cold, sunlight, etc., not to mention the amount of rough handling, how long any of them will last. I have Nalgene bottles with screw tops, but haven't found any such caches, and haven't placed mine, so I don't have first-hand evidence of how they do.

I found a nice set of L&Ls in a local JC Penneys. The sets are on sale every few months.

Around here we have 'Ocean State Job Lot' stores, which deal largely in remaindered goods, but they also sell imitation L&Ls for $1-$3. I have a number of caches made from these containers, and I don't think I've had a single complaint on their weather-worthiness. I've also found lots of caches made from these containers, and they're almost invariably secure.

In New England we get just about every time of weather you can imagine, so that should serve as an endorsement of (at least some) imitation containers. If you feel like running a test on a container, you can fill it with rocks and a bit of toilet paper, then submerge it in a bucket of water. Wait a few days, then retrieve it. If the TP is intact, the seal is good!

One helpful hint is to tape over the hinge flaps on any of this type of container, to help keep them intact for a longer time.

Thanks all!

We don't live near a ocean state job lots now, but will soon. We're moving eight hours in a month. I'll still be down here all the time for work and can maintain the caches, so don't worry. I also have two caching friends to do some maintenance in between.

I'll definitely get the real lock and locks, since I'll be away for two weeks at a time. I want to make these last and need minimal maintenance.

On the subject of twist-to-close containers, I find Nalgene storage jars to be quite waterproof. Actually anything by that company. I've used them for a few caches; never a problem.

The only downside is that camo paint just doesn't stick to the deeply grooved rim of the lid.

This is interesting. Where I'm hiding it won't really need much cammo. It'll be very hard to spot even if it was brightly colored and it won't be removable without special tools so it'll be nearly impossible to muggle.

If you feel like running a test on a container, you can fill it with rocks and a bit of toilet paper, then submerge it in a bucket of water. Wait a few days, then retrieve it. If the TP is intact, the seal is good!

In that case, it's good as a storage container that will be only opened once, and used for only a week or so. But the rocks and TP are a good simulation of what cacher's will typically find inside. :laughing:

Edited by kunarion
If you feel like running a test on a container, you can fill it with rocks and a bit of toilet paper, then submerge it in a bucket of water. Wait a few days, then retrieve it. If the TP is intact, the seal is good!

In that case, it's good as a storage container that will be only opened once, and used for only a week or so. But the rocks and TP are a good simulation of what cacher's will typically find inside. :laughing:

My big concern is resealing. If this container popped open in the hiding spot, it'd be very hard to retrieve any swag. Would people be more likely to reseal a twist top like a nalgene or a lock and lock?

I don't want to give away any surprise, but the container will be down inside of something, out of reach of human hands alone. Don't worry, no holes will be dug.

Do you mind sharing where you bought them? I keep finding the "super green BPA free!" lock and locks on amazon. They're much pricier, and I wasn't sure how the super "green" plastic would hold up outside.

Got them at Sears. I live in Canada though so they might not have them in the US.

Walmart or target they usual sell packs of them Edited by Off Grid

My big concern is resealing. If this container popped open in the hiding spot, it'd be very hard to retrieve any swag. Would people be more likely to reseal a twist top like a nalgene or a lock and lock?

I don't want to give away any surprise, but the container will be down inside of something, out of reach of human hands alone. Don't worry, no holes will be dug.

A twist-top container, IMO, is much more likely to hold up in a deep hidey-hole situation. With a L&L, all it would take is one broken tab for the bottom of your container to be stuck forever at the bottom of the hole. Nalgene is great, but can be pricy. Would a cleaned-out peanut butter or mayo jar suit your needs?

I'm assuming cache retrieval will require some sort of tool. Whatever container you use, you might want to put a retrieval point on both ends, in case some bonehead drops it in upside down.

Out of curiosity, where will you be moving to that you'll be near an Ocean State Job Lot?

Plastic peanut butter jars work great. Use an old bicycle innertube as a seal. Cut it flat to fill the entire inside of the lid. I use Super 77 spray adhesive to glue it in. When painting plastic containers which don't hold paint well, I hit them with a coat of spray paint and immediately light them on fire. Blow the flames out after about 5 seconds and do it again a few times. This helps the plastic hold the paint better. Once it cools and drys you can give it your camo coat.

A twist-top container, IMO, is much more likely to hold up in a deep hidey-hole situation. With a L&L, all it would take is one broken tab for the bottom of your container to be stuck forever at the bottom of the hole. Nalgene is great, but can be pricy. Would a cleaned-out peanut butter or mayo jar suit your needs?

I'm assuming cache retrieval will require some sort of tool. Whatever container you use, you might want to put a retrieval point on both ends, in case some bonehead drops it in upside down.

Out of curiosity, where will you be moving to that you'll be near an Ocean State Job Lot?

Twist container it is. I hadn't thought about leaving half behind!

We're moving to Springfield, MA for my husband's residency. I don't think that there is one there, but my parents live five minutes from the one in Ballston Spa, NY. Since they like to see little QClan, I'll be there regularly. :-)

Plastic peanut butter jars work great. Use an old bicycle innertube as a seal. Cut it flat to fill the entire inside of the lid. I use Super 77 spray adhesive to glue it in. When painting plastic containers which don't hold paint well, I hit them with a coat of spray paint and immediately light them on fire. Blow the flames out after about 5 seconds and do it again a few times. This helps the plastic hold the paint better. Once it cools and drys you can give it your camo coat.

These two tips are some of the most promising I have seen in awhile. Thanks!

On the subject of twist-to-close containers, I find Nalgene storage jars to be quite waterproof. Actually anything by that company. I've used them for a few caches; never a problem.

The only downside is that camo paint just doesn't stick to the deeply grooved rim of the lid.

Those work extremely well. Some websites call them Nalgene Straight Jars. I have a bunch that have been out, fully exposed to the elements, for years without issues. They aren't too expensive either. I've had no problem getting the camo paint sticking to the grooves on the lid. Starting with a plastic primer helps.

Wide mouth Nalgene bottles are good too, as long as you don't try to stuff a full sized logbook or big swag inside. Kind of on the expensive side though. I found a brand of wide mouth water bottle at Target that sells for $4 and have been using them. In fact I was able to buy a bunch of the same containers on Woot and it came to under $2 each with shipping.

I'll definitely get the real lock and locks, since I'll be away for two weeks at a time. I want to make these last and need minimal maintenance.

Lock n locks will last; I've hidden quite a few. The only problem is people keep opening them in the rain. I find myself still having to do quite a bit of maintenance because of this.

Lock n locks will last; I've hidden quite a few. The only problem is people keep opening them in the rain. I find myself still having to do quite a bit of maintenance because of this.

True! I just want to be able to do most maintenance every two to three weeks when I'm in the office for work, so as not to put too much pressure on the caching friends who will help me. I'm leaving each with a replacement set up for each cache, just in case.

The tree cover is so thick at this hide it'll at least offer some protection from being opened in the rain.